Play Book Tag discussion

This is Where I Leave You
This topic is about This is Where I Leave You
May 2018: Family Drama > This is Where I Leave You - Jonathan Tropper - 3.5 stars rounded to 4

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments I saw a snippet of the film adaptation of this novel a few weeks ago when trawling Foxtel (Australian cable). It piqued my interest, so when I spied it on the list for family drama I thought I'd give it a whirl. I listened to the audio and the narrator did an adequate job.

Here's what I liked about the book. It was laugh out loud funny at times, but was also tender and poignant at times, and I felt that it was a very real representation of how a large family displays grief in the days after a significant death in the family. It gave us a glimpse in to a dysfunctional family, and let's face it that is every family, and so it made me feel grounded and normal. The diverse characters were well realised, and the writing was witty and clever but pulled back in all of the right places.

Here's what I didn't like. I felt that it stooped to a misogynistic level at times, particularly in the main character's descriptions of women. It really got to me on more than one occasion. I also found it quite predictable, although sometimes that can be satisfying.

All in all, it is nothing to write home about but I'm not sorry that I read it. It gave me enough belly laughs and nods of recognition for it to be worth my while.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Susie wrote: "All in all, it is nothing to write home about but I'm not sorry that I read it. It gave me enough belly laughs and nods of recognition for it to be worth my while...."

I found this statement very fitting for the title. haha. I enjoyed it, but This is Where I Leave You.

Susie | 4488 comments Jason wrote: "Susie wrote: "All in all, it is nothing to write home about but I'm not sorry that I read it. It gave me enough belly laughs and nods of recognition for it to be worth my while...."

I found this s..."

Very true Jason! I probably will leave it here, and not remember much of it in a few months time!

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments I loved this book. 4 stars for sure from me. So funny, and sad too. I also really liked the movie

Susie | 4488 comments I love Jason Bateman so it’s sure to be a winner.