SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

TV and Movie Chat > The Predator

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trike (new)

Trike Teaser trailer for Shane Black’s The Predator.

https://youtu.be/VPI9E-wNK8s

Based on that, it looks like a remake of Aliens.

message 2: by Cortez (new)

Cortez III | 17 comments Trike, I wonder about this one. This is one of my all-time favs, the original with Arnie that is. I'm concerned if Shane will do an IronMan 3 and flip some kind of comedy twist into this one. Yikes! I tend to stay away from trailers/clips/info on films I want to see. Only have four months to go unless Fox moved the release date up or down the calendar. We'll see, buddy.

message 4: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 582 comments I’m optimistic, but the only franchise that consistently gives me what I want is Marvel.

message 5: by Trike (new)

Trike Phillip wrote: "I’m optimistic, but the only franchise that consistently gives me what I want is Marvel."

I’m less optimistic. The only Marvel movie I actively dislike is Iron Man 3, written and directed by Shane Black, who’s helming this. That gives me pause despite liking some of his other recent films.

Also, the full trailer looks like there’s a Jumbo Predator, which isn’t interesting in and of itself. That just reeks of lazy video game tropes, where the boss is simply bigger with more hitpoints.

https://youtu.be/WaG1KZqrLvM

message 6: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 582 comments I also put Iron Man 3 at the very bottom of the MCU rankings. I forgot Shane Black did that. My optimism is lower, but the teen in me that first saw Predator says not to lose the faith.

message 7: by Trike (new)

Trike I’m also a huge fan of Predator, but I think that’s the only good film in that whole franchise. Predator 2 is okay, but it lacks that certain specialness which makes the first one timelessly great and ultimately feels more like a cash grab.

Then we have Robert Rodriguez’s Predators, which is also a decent film, but it just feels like a variation on the first one and doesn’t need to exist.

Neither of the Alien v. Predator movies are any good at all, and they’re all based on that one xenomorph skull in the predator’s ship, which was clearly just a throwaway joke. I agree with James Cameron who called it “Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman”.

Now we have Ridley Scott revisiting the Alien universe with his two colossally terrible movies, which has led to comic book crossovers between the predators and the Engineers, which I don’t even know how those two incompatible elements work together. Aside from being terrible movies, I can see predators and xenomorphs coexisting, but the Engineer stuff breaks the franchise for me.

This makes me sound like I’m overly pessimistic, but it’s just because I want another great installment in these great franchises, and I’ve been getting burned over and over for the past 30 years. Hopefully The Predator will be the film that redeems all of this, but I’m not holding my breath.

message 8: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 582 comments I like Predator 2, but I saw that one before the original (I was too young to see it and had to wait until I was a teen to catch it on TV). A lot of cool weapons and gadgets were introduced. The original had better characters, but the predator only had the laser cannon and gauntlet blades.

Predators was fun, but it did mimic the original in many ways. I really liked how it opened with its first shot.

The Aliens vs Predator films were garbage and because of three main reasons. The first was because it was a blatant cash grab that only had a premise, but no story. The second was some idiot decided to make a pair of R franchise films into a PG-13 cash grab (first one only). However, for me, the biggest offense was setting it in present day. Aliens is was of the best movies ever. I wanted colonial marines fighting the species, just like in the video games. I think many fans agree with me.

I’ll see the new movie, probably opening weekend, but I’ll temper my expectations. The fact they have a kid running around as a major character is already setting off alarm bells.

message 9: by Trike (new)

Trike Yeah, kids seem to be a major fascination for Black. Nearly all his scripts feature them.

The Monster Squad
The Last Action Hero
The Long Kiss Goodnight
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Iron Man 3
The Predator

Most of those films also take place around Christmas, just as his first screenplay, Lethal Weapon, did. So far I can’t tell if The Predator does, too, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it did.

message 10: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 582 comments So, I saw The Predator. I'm gonna paraphrase Ricky Bobby:

Shane/Fred, everything cool that Jim/John did with Predator, you wrecked it.

message 11: by Jemppu (last edited Sep 17, 2018 12:50PM) (new)

Jemppu | 1730 comments Phillip wrote: "So, I saw The Predator. I'm gonna paraphrase Ricky Bobby:

Shane/Fred, everything cool that Jim/John did with Predator, you wrecked it."

But how would you rank it on the scale of Predator <-> Predators ?

message 12: by Trike (new)

Trike Phillip wrote: "So, I saw The Predator. I'm gonna paraphrase Ricky Bobby:

Shane/Fred, everything cool that Jim/John did with Predator, you wrecked it."

Thanks for taking one for the team. The closer we’ve gotten to release the less interested I’ve been in this. And the ratings from both critics and fans are dismal.

message 13: by Cortez (new)

Cortez III | 17 comments Saw it too this opening weekend, guys. Whew! I knew with Shane at the helm this was going to be a R-rated language fest, but man. The studio wanted to take it back to its '87 roots, but he and co-writer Dekker were excessive. Interesting insights on the Predator though. Definitely added to the mythos and left the door open for a sequel. Depends upon the box office reception, may take three to five years to see another one. I may have to mute the dialogue though. I'd give it 2 1/2 out of 4 or 3 out of 5 stars.

*Just checked the box office: $24.6M domestically in 4k+ theaters; $30M overseas. Considered a 'soft' open with so many domestic theaters. Audiences graded it C+. It might make its $88M budget back in North America and add another $100M+ overseas. Probably just get to $200M; enough to warrant another sequel.

message 14: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 582 comments Jemppu wrote: "But how would you rank it on the scale of Predator <-> Predators ?"

It is dead last (to include behind the first AvP). The other three Predator movies are all ones I enjoy. I had fun the first time I watched each. This movie was boring and aggravating. My eyeballs got a great workout running so many laps. There was some good fan service (including a certain blond scientist at the beginning), but for the most part, the jokes were over-the-top and the plot was just bad. Ironically, the prominent twelve-year-old was actually an okay part of the movie. Not great, but acceptable. The supporting predator fodder characters were far more annoying.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1323 comments Oh man. AvP 1 was the WORST!!

message 16: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Okay, I guess I won't be paying to see this; but I am a huge Predator fan with an 18" figurine on my desk! Ugh

I guess my Firestick will get used.... LOL

message 17: by Trike (new)

Trike Please post pics of the figurine. Who made it?