Amazon exiles discussion

Voting threads > Theme 177 - 'One Album Wonders - Round 2' - nominated by theDuke - VOTING

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by theDuke (last edited May 13, 2018 05:55PM) (new)

theDuke | 5785 comments Remaining R9 themes:

178. Toys, general or specified, in the title or artist's name - Brass Neck
179. 'Say I'm Your No.1' - your favourite song which topped the nation's (BBC, of course) charts. simple as.......- tech
180. Tell me sweet little lies. Liars, lying in the title or lyrics - Jemma
181. Songs with U.S. towns or cities in the title - TheFoe
182. Songs whose lyrics mention other musicians by name - KJS
183. You knew it was coming! - Song Titles & Lyrics about Cakes and Baking (I'll also accept Desserts as well if you get stuck) ;o> - suzysunshine7
184. Title refers to a crime. - SussexWelsh

Here's the link to nom new themes, keep 'em coming...please!:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Final week to add a theme to Round 9, as i'll be closing it next Sunday, thank you.

I watched the Eurovision Contest last night, didn't particularly like the UK entry Storm by SuRie (actually didn't like any of 'em if I'm honest!), but I wonder if she would've done any better, had her performance not been ruined by a stage invader; a rapper and political activist going by the name of DR ACactavist (how original!). It certainly made a dull song momentarily interesting, but probably wrecked her chances. The UK just don't seem to be able to cut it anymore on the Eurovision front, not since the UK won it in 1997.

Mibbe, feelings of Brexit still raw with our Euro neighbours?

Anyhoo....let's move on...it's the return of a theme I nominated before, that was run a year ago. To this day, I still think it is the best playlist I've heard so far, since I joined in 2 & half years ago. So.....can we do it again?

'One Album Wonders - Round 2' - Same rules as before, but noms can be selected from albums released upto 5 years ago. Any one off solo albums produced by now defunct Artists/Bands - EP's, singles, Live albums, Comps also produced by the artist/band are irrelevant, but noms must come from the sole album itself.

Apart from Rob, I believe everybody else knows what to look for, if Rob (or anyone else) has any queries, let me know..otherwise, you're looking for a nomination from a now defunct band/artist that had just the one studio album released. Anything else released by the artist (Ep's, single, live albums, comps etc.) ignore, but make sure your nom comes from the sole album itself.

Noms in by 10pm Wednesday.

I'd love to have a 20+ song list for this one, so let's have a big turnout, ya know ya want to! Cheers! :-)

Have a good 'un! :)

message 2: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments "Euro neighbours"

the u.k. could submit the most perfect song in existence and it would still finish in the last few places - the voting system is a legitimate platform for our euro neighbours to let us know how much they like us! :)

message 3: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments anyhoo,

from the only (brilliant) album they released, one of the less militant songs contained, and (as i would say) perfect for this glorious weather,

Oh Dread - Althea And Donna

https://youtu.be/G-WqP0Gtc5I

message 4: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 9068 comments Tech wrote: ""Euro neighbours"

the u.k. could submit the most perfect song in existence and it would still finish in the last few places - the voting system is a legitimate platform for our euro neighbours to ..."

Seeing as our lowly placing is inevitable in Eurovision, why not stick two fingers up and enter a slice of industrial hardcore noise next year. It might even win!! 😱

message 5: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments it's probably that certainty that keeps 'names' from pushing themselves forward to represent u.k. - what would it have done to morrissey's ego (as threatened a few years back) to have finished 24th?

message 6: by Fishy_Jim (last edited May 14, 2018 01:44AM) (new)

Fishy_Jim  | 970 comments After Tech:

Heartbeat - Late Of The Pier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16c_T...

From the excellent Fantasy Black Channel album. Every track's a winner for me.

message 7: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments aw tim, that would have been worth some points from me! :)

message 8: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 9068 comments Tech wrote: "aw tim, that would have been worth some points from me! :)"

I'm annoyed tech. Checked on Wiki to find they'd reformed circa 1998, and done a second album nobody remembers (or probably cared about at the time). :-(

message 9: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 9068 comments After Jim

Dougal Reed is in reality Tom Cullinan from Th' Faith Healers/Quickspace. This comes from his cover album of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. He almost turns this track into a Joy Division song!

Oh Daddy - Dougal Reed

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UVnurRd...

message 10: by Helen The Melon (new)

Helen The Melon | 2898 comments Jangly indie pop from the late 80s/early 90s. Prob just me but a really like this album ("Hangover Square").

Oh Daddy - Dougal Reed
Anywhere But Home - The Caretaker Race

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BjfRExJ...

message 11: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 2160 comments After Helen, my current mobile ringtone.

Oh Daddy - Dougal Reed
Malarone - Linea Aspera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Jpl...

message 12: by Val (new)

Val H. | 15767 comments After TheFoe

Oh Daddy - Dougal Reed
Malarone - Linea Aspera
She´s So Hard To Shake - Kahvas Jute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7qvZ...

message 13: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5785 comments Tech wrote: ""Euro neighbours"

the u.k. could submit the most perfect song in existence and it would still finish in the last few places - the voting system is a legitimate platform for our euro neighbours to ..."

Aye, that's probably true, but the voting system did change a few years ago, there's now the judges vote and the public votes...one would think this would some bearing on the UK's entries now...but doesn't look like it. ho hum.

message 14: by theDuke (last edited May 14, 2018 11:15AM) (new)

theDuke | 5785 comments Tim wrote: "Tech wrote: ""Euro neighbours"

the u.k. could submit the most perfect song in existence and it would still finish in the last few places - the voting system is a legitimate platform for our euro n..."

It worked for the Finnish band Lordi in 2006! I liked that one...and the scary costumes they wore!

message 15: by TheFoe (last edited May 14, 2018 11:58AM) (new)

TheFoe | 2160 comments O/T

Please can somebody help me? For years now, I've heavily relied on Amazon recommendations for finding new music. From the Amazon homepage, providing you are signed in, you would put the cursor over Your Account before scrolling down and clicking 'Your Recommendations'. Once this was done, at the top of the screen it would say 'Recommended For You'. Again, you would click on this, and a list on the left would appear i.e, shoes, clothing, toys etc, with one of them saying 'music'. If you clicked on this it would give you a few pages of recommended music, from either albums you have bought or albums you have reviewed. You then had a click box of 'Not Interested' or 'Already Own'. For some reason this has all disappeared and all I'm left with is 'Improve Your Recommendations' which is a load of crap. Either my computer is on it's way out or Amazon have stopped another service. Has anyone else had a problem with this/ know what I'm talking about? I wouldn't ask, but it's pretty much my main source of finding new music, sad as that might be. Thanks.

message 16: by Derek (new)

Derek W | 1208 comments TheFoe wrote: "O/T

Please can somebody help me? For years now, I've heavily relied on Amazon recommendations for finding new music. From the Amazon homepage, providing you are signed in, you would put the cursor..."

Just tried it and it works for me.

message 17: by Derek (new)

Derek W | 1208 comments After Val

Oh Daddy - Dougal Reed
Malarone - Linea Aspera
Buffalo Creek - American Minor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3uJd...

message 18: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 2160 comments Thanks Derek, sounds like it's my laptop then.

message 19: by Derek (new)

Derek W | 1208 comments TheFoe wrote: "Thanks Derek, sounds like it's my laptop then."

TheFoe - just read your original post again and what I get is similar to what you describe but not quite the same. When I click on Your Recommendations, I get a whole load of stuff below, not a list at the side. When I click on the Music box I get a scrolling list across the page with an option to View All & Manage top left, if I click on that I get all the music recs and an Edit Recommendations option top right. If I click on that I get an option against each album of More Like This or Remove.

message 20: by Gordon (last edited May 14, 2018 01:26PM) (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments Sorry, just found Larry Wallis released another album last year so I've had to delete my nomination.

The first time we had this theme there was a debate about whether it was legitimate to nominate a track from a bonus record included with a limited edition of the original release (but subsequently included on the CD release). This was specifically to do with a track from the free live LP included with Wilko Johnson's Solid Senders. Is this allowed?

message 21: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3892 comments Dunno if this qualifies. He was a member of Big Star and other Memphis bands but only released one album under his own name from which this is the title track;

Oh Daddy - Dougal Reed
Malarone - Linea Aspera
I am the Cosmos - Chris Bell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VfJ8...

message 22: by theDuke (last edited May 14, 2018 10:26PM) (new)

theDuke | 5785 comments Brass Neck wrote: "Dunno if this qualifies. He was a member of Big Star and other Memphis bands but only released one album under his own name from which this is the title track;

Heartbea..."

That's a goer Mr BN :-)

message 23: by theDuke (last edited May 14, 2018 10:47PM) (new)

theDuke | 5785 comments There are so many obscure bands from the late '60's, that produced one off albums. This very short lived band produced the one album Barbed Wire Sandwich in 1969; on it is a superb cover of a Nina Simone classic, released 4 years after her. Beautifully sung by guitarist Rod Price, who would go on perform with Foghat.

After BN

Oh Daddy - Dougal Reed
Malarone - Linea Aspera
Feeling Good - Black Cat Bones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoGpa...

message 24: by theDuke (last edited May 15, 2018 12:29AM) (new)

theDuke | 5785 comments Gordon wrote: "Sorry, just found Larry Wallis released another album last year so I've had to delete my nomination.

The first time we had this theme there was a debate about whether it was legitimate to nominate..."

There's always one to throw a spanner in the works isn't there?!

Right....spent some time thinking about this one, as at first, it didn't look that clear cut.

If your nom was to come from the main studio album itself, then there be no issues. I did stipulated live albums not to be included. But then it occurred to me 'what if a band's only release is a live album?' This version was released in the same year as the studio LP, it's just that this version just happens to have a free live LP included, featuring mostly covers of other songs on it. No issues with covers being featured (I've nom'd one after all!), it's another version...so i'm classing it as a bonus release. It's one of those that neither one or the other, but isn't classed as a compilation.

In round one, I chose a bonus track from a late '60's stoner psyche band Stone Garden, who's only album was released in '97 with 9 tracks on it. A 2002 re release included 3 more tracks produced around the same time as the others, that weren't added to the original release at the time. This I allowed, cos the bonus material was from the same era (and that this was the band's total material production anyway)....so I'm allowing your nom, simply because it's from the same year & that it's part of the release.

Others might disagree...but as it's my call...it's gets a pass Gordon!

It's only a little insignificant music game after all! :)

message 25: by Tim (last edited May 15, 2018 12:52AM) (new)

Tim Franklin | 9068 comments theDuke wrote: "There are so many obscure bands from the late '60's, that produced one off albums. This very short lived band produced the one album Barbed Wire Sandwich in 1969; on it is a superb cover of a Nina ..."

Black Cat Bones are best remembered for Paul Kossof and Simon Kirke being members. The pair, together with BCB bassist Stuart Brooks, made an album with Champion Jack Dupree in 1968. Kossof and Kirke both left BCB soon after, and before Barbed Wire Sandwich was recorded.

After the demise of Black Cat Bones, the Brooks brothers, Stuart and Derek formed another band who would have been eligible for this if they hadn't inconviently reformed decades later, namely Leaf Hound. ;-)

message 26: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5785 comments Tim wrote: "Black Cat Bones are best remembered for Paul Kossof and Simon Kirke being members.i>

Of none other than Free & Bad Company fame!

message 27: by Brass Neck (last edited May 15, 2018 01:05AM) (new)

Brass Neck | 3892 comments theDuke wrote: "Tim wrote: "Black Cat Bones are best remembered for Paul Kossof and Simon Kirke being members.i>

Of none other than Free & Bad Company fame!"

Only Kirke was in both, Kossoff took his addictions off to Back Street Crawler and an early death.

message 28: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments whatever happened to Kossoff's brother, Juan?

message 29: by Tim (new)

Tim Franklin | 9068 comments Tech wrote: "whatever happened to Kossoff's brother, Juan?"

Think he choked to death.

message 30: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments boom!

message 31: by theDuke (last edited May 15, 2018 12:41PM) (new)

theDuke | 5785 comments Brass Neck wrote: "theDuke wrote: "Tim wrote: "Black Cat Bones are best remembered for Paul Kossof and Simon Kirke being members.i>

Of none other than Free & Bad Company fame!"

Only Kirke was in both, Kossoff took ..."

Only 25 when Kossof died..that's no age.

message 32: by KJS (new)

KJS | 5275 comments After Johnny

Oh Daddy - Dougal Reed
Malarone - Linea Aspera
I Won't Leave My Wooden Wife For You, Sugar - United States Of America
Superman - The Clique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PWnB...

message 33: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3892 comments 'Only 25 when Kossof died..that's no age.' - being a heroin addict had something to do with it and that's no respecter of age.

message 34: by theDuke (last edited May 15, 2018 08:35PM) (new)

theDuke | 5785 comments True, BN.

message 35: by theDuke (last edited May 16, 2018 12:58AM) (new)

theDuke | 5785 comments Bringing forward:

Oh Daddy - Dougal Reed
Malarone - Linea Aspera
Superman - The Clique

Hope a few more of you can find noms, loads of bands out there with one studio albums, so let's be having them, pretty please folks!

And if Gordon's around, your Wilko Johnson's Solid Senders request, has the green light!

message 36: by Lez (new)

Lez | 7490 comments Sorry, I only just managed to find one first time round, after lots of research. No chance this time as I’ve got my sister staying so otherwise occupied. 😟

message 37: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1473 comments After KJS

I have worked my way through some lists and come to the realisation that there's a good reason why most of them never bothered making a follow up.
This one might be a bit more acceptable than most of the others I tried:

Oh Daddy - Dougal Reed
Malarone - Linea Aspera
Superman - The Clique
Think Of Rain - Margo Guryan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPD8C...

message 39: by Gordon (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments Sorry, Duke. Only just got time to look at this again and I've missed the deadline. As I have a major work deadline on Friday I'm not really around here much at the moment.

message 40: by theDuke (last edited May 16, 2018 02:32PM) (new)

theDuke | 5785 comments Okey then, not quite as many as i'd hoped, but I appreciate not everyone will have loads of choices for this theme. As someone who likes chasing out those obscure oddities from late '60's bands, I had plenty to choose from.

Anyhoo, thanks to all that did manage to find something....so let's to it then!

12 songs it is, meaning we have 4 votes apiece this time.

Playlist, & as ever, gratefully provided by Spacepig:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...

Voting ends Sunday 10pm

I shall be closing R9 nominations on Sunday and opening up R10, so if anyone still yet to nom a theme for R9, please add by then, thanks.

Voting list:

Oh Daddy - Dougal Reed
Malarone - Linea Aspera
Superman - The Clique

Thanks again, and enjoy! :)

message 41: by theDuke (new)

theDuke | 5785 comments Gordon wrote: "Sorry, Duke. Only just got time to look at this again and I've missed the deadline. As I have a major work deadline on Friday I'm not really around here much at the moment."

Ah, that's a shame, but no worries...what was your nom, anyway?
Spacepig might be able to squeeze it on.

message 42: by Tech XXIII (last edited May 16, 2018 10:28PM) (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments jeebus h! no wonder they made just the one album!

2 - l.aspera
1 - u.s.a.

Oh Daddy - Dougal Reed
Malarone - Linea Aspera - 2
I Won't Leave My Wooden Wife For You, Sugar - United States Of America - 1
Superman - The Clique

pending a possible late entry (oo-er, missus!) from gordon

message 43: by Fishy_Jim (new)

Fishy_Jim  | 970 comments After Tech:

She´s So Hard To Shake - Kahvas Jute - 1

Oh Daddy - Dougal Reed
Superman - The Clique

I don't often find myself agreeing with Tech, but... yeah.

message 44: by Brass Neck (new)

Brass Neck | 3892 comments A&D - 3
CR - 2
C - 1

Oh Dread - Althea And Donna - 3
Oh Daddy - Dougal Reed
Anywhere But Home - The Caretaker Race - 2
Superman - The Clique - 1

message 45: by TheFoe (new)

TheFoe | 2160 comments After Brass Neck

Late Of The Pier - 4
Kahvas Jute - 3
Althea & Donna - 2
The Caretaker Race - 1

Oh Dread - Althea And Donna - 5
Heartbeat - Late Of The Pier - 4
Oh Daddy - Dougal Reed
Anywhere But Home - The Caretaker Race - 3
She´s So Hard To Shake - Kahvas Jute - 4

message 46: by Helen The Melon (new)

Helen The Melon | 2898 comments After Foe

Late of P - 4
D Reed - 3
L Aspera - 2
B C Bones - 1

Oh Dread - Althea And Donna - 5
Heartbeat - Late Of The Pier - 8
Oh Daddy - Dougal Reed - 3
Malarone - Linea Aspera - 4
She´s So Hard To Shake - Kahvas Jute - 4
Feeling Good - Black Cat Bones - 1

message 47: by Spacepig (new)

Spacepig Pig | 1473 comments After Johnny:

Linea Aspera - 4
Kahvas Jute - 3
American Minor - 2
United States Of America - 1

Oh Dread - Althea And Donna - 7
Oh Daddy - Dougal Reed - 4
Malarone - Linea Aspera - 11
She´s So Hard To Shake - Kahvas Jute - 7
Buffalo Creek - American Minor - 2
I am the Cosmos - Chris Bell - 4
Feeling Good - Black Cat Bones - 1
I Won't Leave My Wooden Wife For You, Sugar - United States Of America - 2

message 48: by Gordon (last edited May 18, 2018 12:41PM) (new)

Gordon (skiiltan) | 2940 comments After Spacepig...

Kahvas Jute - 4
Linea Aspera - 3
Black Cat Bones - 2
Althea & Donna - 1

Oh Dread - Althea And Donna - 8
Malarone - Linea Aspera - 14
She's So Hard To Shake - Kahvas Jute - 11
Buffalo Creek - American Minor - 2
Feeling Good - Black Cat Bones - 3

message 49: by theDuke (last edited May 18, 2018 07:55PM) (new)

theDuke | 5785 comments Not bad, but not a shade on the 1st round's playlist..but enjoyable non the less:

Kahvas Jute - 4
American Minor - 3
Late Of The Pier - 2
The Clique - 1

Oh Dread - Althea And Donna - 8
Heartbeat - Late Of The Pier - 10
Malarone - Linea Aspera - 14
She's So Hard To Shake - Kahvas Jute - 15
Buffalo Creek - American Minor - 5
Feeling Good - Black Cat Bones - 3
Superman - The Clique - 2

Apologies to Tech, if ya picked the title track, I would've rated that highly..as I've always liked that one! :)

message 50: by Tech XXIII (new)

Tech XXIII  | 6727 comments why apologize? i was shooting for variety - besides, the album version of 'u.t.r.' is far rootsier than the single take, re-recorded in the company of sly'n'robbie etc. :)

« previous 1