SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

TV and Movie Chat > What should I watch next?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1323 comments I just finished season 2 of Jessica Jones and am trying to decide what to stream next. I made a list...and it has almost 25 shows of genre relevance!
(This is aside from the shows we watch 'live' (aka from the DVR as they air))
Things i think are of the highest quality that we watch 'live' are: GoT, Westworld, Legion, Magicians and so on.

Are any of these up to par with the ones above?

PKD - Electric Dreams
Colony
The OA
Travelers
3%
The Punisher (thininkg it will be to depressing)
Sense8
Counterpart
DARK
Preacher
The REturned
The 100 (seems too YA...?)
Altered CArbon
The Titan
The Crossing
The Good place
Continuum
Jonathan Strange......

and there are more but that gets the idea.

HELP! ;)

message 2: by Trike (new)

Trike I heartily and without reservation recommend Travelers. It is so, so good. Not only is the acting and writing terrific, the concept of how the characters time travel is brilliant.

Basically a future person’s mind is projected back to someone who is about to die. The actor gets to be one character, then grab their head in agony and suddenly become someone else. No special effects, just a countdown timer and acting. Ingenious.

On top of that, the story gets more and more complex as the series continues and more about the future is revealed. And then twists happen. Great show.

message 3: by Don (new)

Don Dunham The Punisher and Luke Cage are great.

message 4: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 2306 comments I quite liked The Good Place. Luke Cage is good. I watched the first Travelers and I didn’t mind it. Started watching Altered Carbon and will probably keep watching it when I get Internet on again. Don’t have it where I mostly live. Black Lightning is ok. Iron Fist annoyed me but you might like it. The Defenders isn’t disgusting. Santa Clarita Diet is good. The Sinner is good too.

message 5: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments I just finished The Punisher and it is as good as or even better than Jessica Jones season 1 (I dont like season 2).

The Good Place is highly entertaining and super charming.

message 6: by Don (new)

Don Dunham Ozark is great

message 7: by Don (new)

Don Dunham loved Jessica Jones season 1

message 8: by Don (new)

Don Dunham I'm going to take another run at "The good place"

message 9: by Don (new)

Don Dunham Here's a sleeper, "Gifted" with Chris Evans. it is a story with no explosions and nobody dies. The girl is awesome.

message 10: by Ivy (new)

Ivy Jones | 2 comments Another vote for The Good Place and check out Happy!

message 11: by Gary (new)

Gary (plaidchuck) | 55 comments The OA isn't perfect and kind of fizzles out but it was overall pretty engaging and intense. I'd definitely check out a few episodes to see if you like it.

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 291 comments I'm really enjoying Travelers, about halfway through season 2, and thought the BBC Jonathon Strange & Mr Norrell was excellent (I actually bought the DVD).

I started watching Dark and thought the English dubbing was awful, really offputting, but am going to try again with subtitles.

message 13: by ~ Giulia ~ (new)

~ Giulia ~ | 146 comments I second Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrel, and Travelers isn't bad.

The thing with PKD is that, after you read 2-3 short stories (or in this case watch a few episodes), you start needing only a couple paragraphs/scenes before you understand what the punch line will be, so I can't binge read/watch his stories, I can only take them in small doses. But that's probably just me.

message 14: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Turner | 19 comments Having enjoyed the book I got all excited about 'Altered Carbon' and then couldn't get through the first episode, too much violence (which I know is a personal thing) plus lots of mumbling, hard to follow conversations.

I'm currently recommending to everyone the new Dirk Gently, which isn't on your list. Its not a match for the books, rather it is its own thing and if you just go with the flow it is a really good ride. Despite saying above that I have a low tolerance for violence the body count in DG is quite high, but for some reason this didn't bother me as much. I think this is because of how invested I was in the characters and also because they are affected by the death and destruction.

message 15: by Lowell (new)

Lowell (schyzm) | 567 comments Tanya wrote: "Having enjoyed the book I got all excited about 'Altered Carbon' and then couldn't get through the first episode, too much violence (which I know is a personal thing)"

The book was possibly more graphically violent than the TV show - I'm surprised you even tried, to be honest.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments I really enjoyed Dirk Gently. It's a shame it was cancelled after S2.

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1323 comments Ah good to know - Altered Carbon really seems ..mixed...

My spouse persuaded me to try counterpart which is fairly interesting after two episodes- but new shows always seem risky - what if it’s cancelled?

message 18: by Jolinda (new)

Jolinda Sense8! It's one of the most amazing series I've ever seen in my life. And you don't have to worry about it being cancelled--it already was! And they're making a 2 hour special to finish the series and wrap up the storylines from its two seasons on Netflix. (It's airing sometime this summer.) So you know it has a distinct ending and you don't have to worry about premature cancellation! That already happened!

(Note: If you are not particularly tolerant of other cultures and sexualities, this show is not for you.)

message 19: by Trike (new)

Trike Jolinda wrote: "Sense8! Note: If you are not particularly tolerant of other cultures and sexualities, this show is not for you.) "

I’m intolerant of bad storytelling and gratuitous nonsense. That show was so aggravating.

message 20: by Jolinda (new)

Jolinda I actually thought the plot was very well thought out and very well paced as well. But it's one of my favorite series, and I get protective of those, so rather than making an ass of myself, I will just say:

Agree to disagree.

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1323 comments Don’t worry - far as I can tell Trike is the type that likes to poke things with sticks to see what interesting thing might happen 😊😉

message 22: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 2306 comments Nooo....that wouldn’t be Trike. Oh wait....yes....yes it is hahahaha

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1323 comments Oh and I’ll probably get to Sense8 but figure I’ll wait until the finale movie is released.

message 24: by Jolinda (new)

Jolinda Rachel wrote: "Oh and I’ll probably get to Sense8 but figure I’ll wait until the finale movie is released."

That's fair. It's dropping June 8, btw. I can't wait!!!

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 422 comments Santa Clarita Diet is hysterical.

message 26: by Jolinda (new)

Jolinda Jennifer wrote: "Santa Clarita Diet is hysterical."

True story.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2674 comments Jolinda wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Santa Clarita Diet is hysterical."

True story."

Yes.

message 28: by Kira (new)

Kira Wilson | 15 comments For anyone whose guilty pleasure is campy Japanese adventure shows (like me), I'll toss out Mob Psycho 100 as a recommendation!

It's completely cheesy in all the best anime ways, made even cheesier because it's live action, but I still enjoyed the characters and kept hitting the Next button because I was genuinely interested.

message 29: by Jolinda (new)

Jolinda Kira wrote: "For anyone whose guilty pleasure is campy Japanese adventure shows (like me), I'll toss out Mob Psycho 100 as a recommendation!

It's completely cheesy in all the best anime ways, made even cheesie..."

Sounds interesting...

message 30: by Dj (new)

Dj | 1972 comments Rachel wrote: "I just finished season 2 of Jessica Jones and am trying to decide what to stream next. I made a list...and it has almost 25 shows of genre relevance!
(This is aside from the shows we watch 'live' ..."

The Punisher was really well done. I found myself really caught up in it.
Altered Carbon was also very good.