Looking for good books/ Shows/ movies discussion

BOOKS > Least favorite books!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by EndlessPages (new)

EndlessPages (liv_readsx) | 266 comments Mod
What have been your least favorite books/ series and why?

message 2: by EndlessPages (new)

EndlessPages (liv_readsx) | 266 comments Mod
I just tried reading Hunted by Meagan Spooner and I just couldn't get into it.

Idk it was just a slow start and I found the main character Yeva very annoying

message 3: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) The Young Elites – horrible characters, zero world-building, HUGE plot hole, poor writing

Throne of Glass – immature writing; poor character development, logic problems, much lameness overall

The Night Circus – super boring; all style, no substance

The Book Thief – She only steals three books! It felt like it was being emotionally manipulative.

Lamentation – so boring; cliched characters

Dragonflight – DNF; bored to death and too rape-y

To The Bright Edge of the World – DNF; bored to death

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna (bibbidi_bobbidi_books) I hated Dragonflight in the Dragons of Pern series. I couldn't believe how misogynistic it was considering it was written by a woman!

Contagion was total trash in my opinion, I basically screamed my way through that book because it was completely predictable and the character/relationship development was juvenile and cringey AF.

I DNF Paper Towns with like 3 chapters to go because I thought he was making such an idol out of this girl and she wasn't even around to make him fall in love with her. He was just into the idea of her and it really cheesed me.

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara Eames | 14 comments Books I have started but not finished:

The Life of Pi - Yann Martel
The Pale Criminal - Philip Kerr
Commonwealth - Ann Patchett
The City & the City - China Melville

All of these I stopped reading because life is too short to read a book that you are not enjoying.

message 6: by Owain (new)

Owain (thedamned) | 8 comments The only book I couldn't finish was Seven Deadly Sins: Settling the Argument Between Born Bad and Damaged Good.

Really was the case of "don't give up your day job". The book was just outright awful.

message 7: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) Anna wrote: “I hated Dragonflight in the Dragons of Pern series. I couldn’t believe how misogynistic it was considering it was written by a woman!“

I know! Right??

message 8: by Grace (new)

Grace | 4 comments I DNFed Ender's Game. Couldn't get into it and couldn't get over how the MC was just 6 yrs old. I may try it again, though. And one I read this year - Everless - was incredibly dull. I kept waiting for something to happen.

Some classics that I thought were absolutely boring, but had to read for school: The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman and Robinson Crusoe A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man Moll Flanders

message 9: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) I did like Ender’s Game, but I’ve heard Everless is bad. Having to read something for school about guarantees we’ll hate it.

message 10: by Grace (new)

Grace | 4 comments Audrey wrote: "I did like Ender’s Game, but I’ve heard Everless is bad. Having to read something for school about guarantees we’ll hate it."

lol. There were some books that I actually did enjoy in school. The Handmaid's Tale was one. And Great Expectations.

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark (markhousley) | 16 comments Anna wrote: "I hated Dragonflight in the Dragons of Pern series. I couldn't believe how misogynistic it was considering it was written by a woman!

Contagion was total trash in my o..."

Misogyny is endemic to "Golden Age" scifi and fantasy. You've either got to go in knowing or avoid it. It has spoiled many of my childhood reading memories :(

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna (bibbidi_bobbidi_books) Mark wrote: "Misogyny is endemic to "Golden Age" scifi and fantasy. You've either got to go in knowing or avoid it. It has spoiled many of my childhood reading memories :( "

Yeah this was recommended to me by my mother-in-law who read in a different time than I did. It was a tough conversation telling her that I wasn't a fan of her favorite series.

Audrey wrote: I know! Right??"

I mean he straight up hitsher and she is essentially made cargo from the beginning even though she was crafty and was going to run her own kingdom or whatever from the first chapter!
She nerfs her own bad ass from the get-go!

message 13: by Marti (new)

Marti The Upside of Unrequitted was pretty dissapointing for me. I was expecting it to be amazing but it didn't live up to my expectations.

message 14: by Jaida Rose (new)

Jaida Rose (bookquaker) | 14 comments Looking for Alaska never got to the point and I didn't finish it. The Last Star was a massive disappointment to end The 5th wave series. I finished it but I struggled to. It had so many unnecessary scenes and the death of important characters weren't even interesting. The book constantly switched point of views and it got extremely confusing. Some things didn't even relate to the first two books.

message 15: by dolly (new)

dolly (cryptided) | 12 comments A History of Glitter and Blood was just awful lol

and The Awesome made me so mad because the main character tries to rape her love interest (she gets him drunk to have sex with him and gets pissed off when he passes out) and the author seemed to think it was a cute beginning to their relationship?? which sucked because it ruined the authors books for me and i used to be a fan

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna (bibbidi_bobbidi_books) dg wrote: " The Awesome made me so mad because the main character tries to rape her love interest (she gets him drunk to h..."

I haven't read this book, but I hate how prevalent that sort of thing is!
Or just standard types of deception being played off as cute?
I Believe in a Thing Called Love had the most manipulative, psychotic protagonist I've ever read and it was supposed to be a good thing.
She literally plants nails on the road and makes him wreck his car so that he'll try and take care of her when she's "hurt".
And then! I thought the whole moral was going to be "be yourself and don't be a manipulative psycho just to get a guy" and she would either change or he wouldn't stay with her, but no!

(view spoiler)
It's the worst

message 17: by dolly (new)

dolly (cryptided) | 12 comments Anna wrote: "dg wrote: " The Awesome made me so mad because the main character tries to rape her love interest (she gets him drunk to h..."

I haven't read this book, but I hate how prevalent th..."

oh my god that sounds psychotic!! i hate when books have protags be crazy with no repercussions. like what message are you even trying to send with that?? makes no sense

message 18: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (hypergiraffe420) | 2 comments Glitch (Glitch, #1) by Heather Anastasiu - She just had to do a love triangle. I know Twilight (ugh) made them popular and all but JESUS I'm sick of reading them. Especially when they are being shoved down my throat in a completely RIDICULOUS way. When Max first admits he has feelings for Zoe this completely reasonable and amazing comment happens,

"Can I have a look at your genitalia?"

Like for realsies. That happened. I had to actually stop reading and just go "SERIOUSLY??" That's the best way you could introduce him as a love interest?! "Can I have a look at your genitalia?" JESUS. After you shoved the whole Triangle Thing at me, I knew there was no way the guy who asked about her GENITALIA was going to be the guy who wins her heart. If you are going to be cliche and make a love triangle at least pretend both guys have a fair chance

I hope you don't consider that a spoiler (I'm sorry I can't decide if it is or not)

Reckoning (Bloodline, #2) by Kate Cary - A poor man's idea of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter except kind of incredibly boring

Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama - I had high hopes for this one, but I like stories that make me happy, so when there was a rape within the first 50 pages I knew this wasn't the book for me. I couldn't even finish it.

message 19: by Anna (new)

Anna (bibbidi_bobbidi_books) "dg wrote: "like what message are you even trying to send with that?? makes no sense "

I know right?
These a YA books! People are looking to these things for answers! Give good role models!

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna (bibbidi_bobbidi_books) Tamara wrote: ""Can I have a look at your genitalia?"

Like for realsies. That happened. "

Hahahaha! Holy Crap!
That is horrendous writing.

message 21: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) I don't really have a least favourite book, but my least favourite genre is Manga/Anime. I do like western animated but I don't like manga/anime. Reason for this is because I find the drawing to weird and edgy. It is completely unrealistic. I can't imagine it on how it'd be like in real life.