Jump to ratings and reviews

Glitch #1

Glitch

In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

In this action-packed debut, Glitch begins an exciting new young adult trilogy.

308 pages, Paperback

8 books671 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
406 (4%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 914 reviews
319 reviews1,896 followers
September 5, 2012
Warning: Possible spoilers (but do you really want to read this?)

*sigh* Oh, Glitch.

When reading a book, however horrible that book might be, I do try to find something even slightly redeemable, that could save the book from falling into my one-star abyss. Unfortunately, I truly found nothing likable or redeemable in this book. I'll be splitting my review of Glitch into four categories, and analyze each one. Those four categories are: the characters, the relationships, the writing, and the plot/world-building. Here we go:

1. The Characters

Mary Sues and Gary Stus everywhere, my friends! First, let's analyze the main character, Zoe.

If you're looking for a strong, self reliant female character in Glitch, I can assure you you won't find one in Zoe. She's dull, uninteresting, whiny, and completely and totally reliant on Adrien. But, like any other female lead in YA literature (if you could even call books of this sort literature), Zoe has to stand out and be special, right? As the book starts, Zoe is undergoing a glitch - a defect in her system that allows her to display emotion when most of the population - for some reason - can't. Each person undergoing glitches has a secret power, Zoe's being telekinesis (not a spoiler, you find that out in the first chapter). Unfortunately, Zoe doesn't use her special abilities for good, or really at all. She just mopes all day, contemplating turning herself into the government and basically giving up on life. Oh yeah, all while fawning over Adrien. She's useless, and honestly too stupid to live. I'd be baffled if she were still alive, you know, had any life threatening situations been bestowed upon her.

Now, let's analyze the boy Zoe's "in love" with, Adrien (or, as I like to call him, "The Boy Who Swears Annoyingly" or "The Boy With Magical, Color Changing Eyes").

Ah, Adrien. The man of the hour. The boy who stole Zoe's heart. The stalker. The boy who annoyed the shuntin' crack out of me with his odd swears and abbreviatin'. There's nothing special or unique about him when compared to other love interests in YA literature (and once again, I use that term loosely). He was tolerable, I guess. He wasn't a complete asshole, but he sure wasn't a finalizing candidate for the Best and Nicest Love Interest Award. He was... okay. But he has magical, color changing eyes, everyone! I mean, Zoe only described them as green, green-blue, blue, and aqua a bunch of times! Apparently, little Zoe doesn't know her primary colors.

There's one more character I'd like to discuss about, and that's part two of the love triangle, the raging monster (he's kind of like the Hulk, but he doesn't turn green): Max.

It's quite obvious to me, Heather Anastasiu, and everyone else reading this book that Max was just a character thrown in to add stress to Zoe and Adrien's relationship. You know who Zoe's going to end up with, just like we all knew Bella was going to end up with Edward and not Jacob. I'll discuss more about Max in the "relationships" analyzation (which is coming up after this sentence), but all you need to know is that Max is a dick and I want him to die in a fire.

2. The Relationships

Insta-love, love triangles, abusive boyfriends, oh my! This book had it all in terms of "romance" (and, having read this book, I don't know if Anastasiu knows the true definition of romance). Zoe and Adrien have that "connection" upon first meeting in the first twenty or so pages of Glitch (reading other people's reviews, it seems to be on page 23). Of course, this connection eventually transforms into true love. Hooray. True love at sixteen years old.

Then enters Zoe's childhood friend, Max. Oh, boy. Warning: any point from here to the end of the relationships category is a spoiler. So, first, he pretty much forces Zoe to make out with him, and it's described that he "uses his tongue to force open her mouth aggressively."

That's not creepy at all - literally forcing someone's mouth open with your tongue.

Then, when Zoe leads him on to thinking she likes him then tells him in the end that her "heart belongs to Adrien" (I won't even rant about how a teenager who just met said heart stealer shouldn't be saying that), Max starts screaming at her, saying that he won't let Adrien have her, how he wants her lips, body, legs and her back all to himself, and he came at her and shoved her against the wall, where he kissed Zoe against her will.

run bitch ruuun Pictures, Images and Photos

Then Zoe pushed him off her and said she's Adrien's, and Max says mysteriously, "You'll want me. I'll make sure of it. One day. I'll make you want me." Then he walks away (probably into the shadows), and Zoe starts feeling guilty and blaming herself for hurting Max. I can't even... So, Max: go die in a fire. Preferably very painfully. Zoe: Quit being an idiot.

3. The Writing

This is going to be shortest analyzation, because I don't have much to say about Anastasiu's writing. The writing was mediocre at best, and definitely nothing to praise, or take points off for. (But I did take points off for the way everyone in this book swears. Godlam'd it was annoying! (Godlam'd is one of Adrien's swears. He doesn't feel the need to say God dammit, like a normal person would, because he's special. So, I guess I did take points off for the writing. I also took points off for the way terms like V-chip are thrown around without any explanation as to what the hell a V-chip even is, like Anastasiu expects us as readers to know what the hell she's talking about.)

4. The Plot/World-Building

Seriously, what went wrong with the plot, here? Normally, in my reviews, I write my own little synopsis describing the main plot of the book I'm reviewing, but I honestly had no freaking clue what was going on in here. A nuclear bomb went off outside so people are forced to live underground by the government? And that somehow makes them extremely bland and boring people, by being emotionless? How in the world does a nuclear bomb (that may or may not have actually gone off) make people around the world emotionless? It doesn't, that's how. If you write a science fiction or dystopian book, you need to have good world-building, and this had some of the worst I've ever read in my life (it's up there with Divergent, but at least Divergent was enjoyable). Nothing makes sense in this book. Nothing at all. You're just supposed to play along with the crap explantations of the world Zoe is given, and act like they make a shred of sense. So, that's it: world-building = horrible. Plot = incredibly confusing.

If you're still reading this review by now (because I notice it's incredibly long), I do not, under any circumstances, recommend this book. Unless you're a writer and want to read this book as a manual on how not to write a YA dystopian, then by all means, read it and learn from it. But otherwise, Glitch is definitely a book to pass on.

You can read this review and others on my blog, Finding Bliss in Books.
Profile Image for Reynje.
272 reviews965 followers
June 28, 2012
I’d like to be able to say that this is one for those readers seeking a solid dystopian YA with strong sci-fi elements, but in truth, this Glitch is not that book. At best it’s an on-trend, marketable novel aimed at fans of Matched and the like. At worst, it’s a formulaic, cliché-riddled book I feel like I’ve read several times before.

While the premise of a community hooked up to a shared network that essentially rids them of individual emotional and thought seems promising, the inconsistencies in the writing are too glaring to overlook. Glitch is ostensibly about a teenage girl who finds herself “glitching”, that is, experiencing anomalous (good lord, but I am sick of that word) events in which she involuntarily disconnects from the Link and begins to experience emotional responses and develop telekinesis.

What’s problematic about this is that Zoe’s first person present tense narration doesn’t seem consistent with her circumstances. She is apparently able to recognise and process some emotions without a thought, while experiencing dramatic reactions to others. The Link gives her little exposure to colour, yet she is able to describe in detail in the shades of aquamarine in her love-interest’s eyes. Given that Zoe has lived her entire life tethered to the Link, I didn’t find her voice realistically rendered. Anastasiu seems to use Zoe’s lack of experience with emotion and individual thought when necessary for dramatic effect, then ignore it at other times.

Despite the potential in the concept of dawning emotional intelligence in a programmed and controlled world, Glitch rapidly resorts to tired romantic tropes and flimsy plot devices to progress the story. Very little feels organically developed, but rather, convenient or forced. Character X just happens to show up at a certain place, and just happens to have X device and X ability.

However, the most difficult to swallow of these revelations is the “love” that springs up between the characters. I don’t know about you, but when I’m removed from my home into an alien environment by a stranger, suffer a violent allergic reaction, then spend a few hours unconscious – upon waking the last thing on my mind would be gazing into said stranger’s eyes and kissing him. When I don’t know what kissing is. Or who this stranger really is. Even if he has indeed seen in a vision that I will lead The Resistance (of which I also have no prior knowledge) in uprising because I am special with super special powers (of course). But what do I know. Love conquers all, apparently.

Seriously, these kind of “Instant! Just add water for True Love” romances feel like lazy storytelling to me. Compounding the issue is the appearance of another “glitcher” and rival for Zoe’s affections. This character feels slightly more realistically rendered in terms of his reaction to physical/emotional impulses. Character discovers sex = character wants to have sex, fair enough. But while his actions are believable, there’s a slightly squicky subtext to Zoe’s responses. Realistic or not, this element of the plot felt poorly handled and lacked the nuance and considered treatment it required.

What Anastasiu does well is write graphic, tense scenes of action and violence. An event that takes places on a train, wherein the full power of Zoe’s ability manifests, is gripping and vividly depicted. What baffles me then, is that given Anastasiu’s capability to portray violent death and exploding rats, why the ridiculous cuss words? Adrien’s repeated use of expressions like “crackin’” “shuntin’” and “godlam’d” do little else but pull the reader out of the story unnecessarily and make them cringe. They are awkward snags in the flow of the dialogue and the irritation doesn’t lessen with repeated use. If the intention was to highlight the difference between those in the Community and the Resistance, I found it unsuccessful. However, I did laugh a lot whenever Adrian made an exclamation along the lines of “We’re all shuntin’ cracked!” I don’t think that was the intention.

Although there are some good ideas in Glitch’s premise, it fails to deliver on its potential. The result feels, honestly, underdeveloped and poorly executed. I can’t help but feel that a sound concept went to waste here, which is a real shame.

An ARC of Glitch was received for review from Netgalley

* * * * *

*Commences attack on Netgalley backlog*
Profile Image for Ain020596.
133 reviews
Want to read
September 23, 2012
St Martin's Press? After Evermore and House Of Night, tread very lightly. You might be able to pull off shitty Paranormal books, but when it comes to Dystopia, don't mess it up.

description

OR. ELSE.

Edit, 18th Aug:

Wow. Looking at the reviews, I was spot on. I'm telling you, the person working at this publishing house needs to be fired or something.
Profile Image for Eunice.
255 reviews529 followers
April 28, 2012

Glitch is a very interesting and fascinating novel. I wasn't really into dystopian novel which are about, uh, how am I going to describe it? robot-like people? cyborg? computer chips and stuffs? Something like that, you get it right? Like Skinned or Cinder (Although I heard really a lot of good things about the latter and am planning to read it soon). Themes like that just don't appeal on me that much. But when I saw this on my friend's blog's WoW, I find it really interesting and appealing. I had it high on my to-read list and when I say it was up in Netgalley I requested it right away.

I tried not to have so many expectations on this book (my tendency of dropping some books unfinished was pretty high lately) but I was pretty excited when I started it. And well, thank goodness because it did not disappoint! I wouldn't say it was perfect, I actually have some little issues on some stuffs but I can overlook most of it because the overall was good and I really enjoyed it.

I was happy that the story starts when Zoe already started glitching. I was afraid I would get bored if she hasn't yet and would only describe their utopia society on a perspective of someone who believe and trust everything in that world. It had been more endearing since when it started, although confused, she was already questioning stuffs, how their society works, which should be right or wrong. Things escalate pretty fast on the first thirds which was good since it's already giving you the hype for starters. The attraction between Zoe and Adrien went fast too than what I expected, I know this might not appeal on most readers, especially to someone like me who's always complaining about insta-love. It wasn't really that insta-love though because on the following parts there were some unfavorable circumstances that happened that affected the romantic aspect that it kind of almost took away what had been there first however I find it good because it also enable the attraction between the two and their relationship to develop in a more natural and profound way.

Other stuffs that I like was the paranormal stuff - their X-men-like abilities. It was that aspect that definitely attracted me to read this. Although I think there were something that's lacking on that part that made me not so enthused as I was to Shatter Me and Hunting Lila. But I'm still looking forward for more of it on the following books and hopefully it would be really good.

The characters were great. I like Zoe and I understand her confusions and struggles, I mean it was really terrifying to live in a society where people live mechanically, no feelings, no emotions, no compassion. Then suddenly you would wake up and feel every kinds of emotions. So even when Zoe was having difficulties in making her choices and actions I didn't get really frustrated at her. She was an admirable character and I like how her character developed through out the story, how she cares and thinks for everyone, how she faced conflicts and problems and how she discover feelings and emotions and how she dealt with it.

Adrien was a very compassionate and likable character. He used his ability to help people even though it was so very risky and dangerous. He's very genuine and caring. Uh, I really don't know what else to say about him but he's fairly an interesting character. Oh yeah, I love it how he explained and described feelings and emotions to Zoe.

I haven't read dystopia novels lately and it's really great to find a good one after a long break. The overall feeling of this book was somewhat like Delirium and Divergent(I'm not really making your hopes high and some might not agree with me but that's how I find it. Haha!). All in all, it was an entertaining and engaging read. And I'm definitely looking forward reading the whole series.

Thanks Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for providing an advance copy! :)

This review is also posted at Book Overdose
Profile Image for Vi Vi.
66 reviews15 followers
July 2, 2012
April 19: Got a Galley for this from Netgalley so I'm going to give it a go. Thank you to St. Martin's. Going in with no expectations...

---

I'm sorry, I just couldn't get into this. It's a DNF for me.

It's your typical dystopian lite-fiction, except the publishers want to make you believe otherwise because there are more science fiction (lite) elements in it. But really, it's the same old same old.

Controlling political entity that is vaguely controlling everyone. The main character is your typical special snowflake who happens to be different, happens to be The Key in everything. Main love interest who opens her eyes. La Resistance. Class inequality. Poor, pedestrian world building.

Zoe's characterization as being unable to comprehend emotions was really shaky and inconsistent. Adrien's swearing was fucking ridiculous and so awful it was a chore to read dialogue with him.

It was just...there's nothing here to really set it apart from any other YA Dystopian Romances. Fans of that genre will eat it up, perhaps, but I personally am through with the YA dystopia trend. Unless an author out there really changes the game, I don't think the genre will have anything left. Let's move on to something else please.
Profile Image for Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books.
500 reviews142 followers
July 13, 2012
Originally posted at my blog Michelle's Paranormal Vault of Books

Expected publication date: August 7th 2012 by St. Martin’s Press
By Heather Anastasiu

I really enjoyed this story, It took me a short time to get into it, once I was able to actually read it, as its an ARC (advanced readers copy from NetGalley) and it was in a format for computer only, and I have a hard time reading on the computer. I finally got it on my Kindle, but took some work to get it there, so I was able to really read it at that time.

This story is a very interesting one, much different than most out there, it’s a whole new take on a dystopian theme that has become a base for a lot of young adult books lately. I like the sci-fi high tec take on it. It’s refreshing.

The story is set in a time where humans are implanted with a computer chip, that takes away emotion and everything that makes us who we are, they are told its to keep them safe. Anyone who “Glitches” starts feeling everything that the computer chip is blocking. Color, emotions, etc. Zoe is the main character that is “glitching”. She soon realizes there are others that do as well, that have been hiding it, just like she has. She had thought she was alone in the glitches, until she meets others like her. In the community, when someone is turned in for being an anomaly (someone that is glitching) they are either reprogrammed or terminated. Zoe and her friends, the other glitchers, are attempting to find a way out of the community.

Zoe and her friends find that they have powers, hers being telekinesis. The story revolves around Zoe becoming a resistance fighter and taking on the government who rules with an iron fist when she learns about how corrupt their system is.

Here is a quote for you (not sure what page it would be, as I am reading a strange format, no percents or pages)
(Zoe and Adrian talking)

“Come with me. There are other Gifted people here, living on the Surface, free and real and alive. I’m one of them. That’s how I know about the pictures you draw. You draw the world as you wish it was. I know about the one you drew yesterday, a boy’s face-it was your brother, right?”
“How did you know-?”
His words poured out in a rush. “I know that you drew him in the picture like you wish you could see him in real life. The way he looked at you from the picture, it was love, wasn’t it? That’s what you drew in his face?”
I felt my mouth drop open. “How could you know that?”
“It’s my Gift. I can see glimpses of the future.”

I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes some sci-fi or paranormal books, with a dystopian spin on it. It’s really good, and look forward to the sequel.

Summary from Goodreads

Profile Image for shady boots.
500 reviews2,038 followers
June 28, 2012
I really couldn't get into this. Everything was so basic dystopian, the protagonist was a Mary Sue, and the romance was moving way too fast, to the point of insta-love. I tried giving this a chance, but it was just painful to read.

And the way Adrien (the love interest) curses is annoying as hell. "Cracking", "shunting", "godlam'd", and many more weird-ass words. I was yelling 'SHUT UP' at him the whole time.

It really was too painful for me to finish, but most of you YA dystopian fans out there would probably enjoy it. Wait, lemme rephrase that. Most of you YA dystomance fans would enjoy it, because this book fits that genre perfectly.

Since I barely made it through half of the book, meaning I can't really do a full, in-depth review, I will refer you to these reviews.

This e-ARC was provided to me by NetGalley and St. Martin's Press.
Profile Image for Ariana.
936 reviews1,299 followers
March 20, 2015

This book was probably definitely intended to a younger audience so there is no surprise that I found it to be a bit juvenile at parts. Based on this I really had a hard time rating it, as there were things that I really liked, but there were some things I simply needed to skip.

If you are in your teen years and you haven’t come across too many dystopian books then you probably will love this book, so just pick it up and surprise yourself by enjoying it.

As for me, I am not a teen and I’ve been reading quite a lot of dystopian books, so I need a book with a dystopian world well developed, with fleshed out characters and believable scenes and dialogue lines. This one surprised me in many ways, but the ones I’ve mentioned not so much.

Even though there were some things that bothered me, I liked the idea of the story and I felt the need to get to the last page and see where this all was going.

On the good side, I found the concept to be really interesting. I wish there were more insights on the way the world got to be the way it was portraited in the book, but still it got to grab my attention. Imagine an underground world where people are half humans and half machines (not because they have robotic parts, because they don’t, not really, but their memories are stored on external/removable devices and they have no feelings, working and living day by day without knowing the beauty of life). Isn’t this extremely interesting? Add to this the fact that some of them gain the ability to feel and think and, while they are at it, they get to have some paranormal powers as well and you will have an amazing setup for the story.

But even though we get to know a few things about this interesting world, the focus remained on the main character and how she starts to ‘wake up’, to really see the world around her, to wish for more and to rebel against the system. And what would be the use of having feelings if you don’t start feeling in the presence of a boy… or two.

Even though the romance was a bit underdeveloped, and the insta-love made me roll my eyes too many times to count, I liked both Zoe (the main character) and Adrien (our knight in shiny armor – figuratively speaking off course)

Zoe is a girl you can easily understand for the most part of the story, she doesn’t know what to believe and whom to trust and the struggle is obvious, but I wish there was a better delimitation between the before and the after ‘glitching’ (which is the process of having back your own conscience I guess, which makes you think and feel for your own). I found some inconsistencies here and there (some things she shouldn’t have known, names for unknown actions or feelings or smells, or whatever), but if you are not as obsessed as I found myself to be while noticing these things, then you might be safe.

Another thing that I really loved was the way Adrien explained to Zoe the concept of feelings – how love, hate, anger (etc.) felt, and what those feelings could make you do. There were some cute moments involving those explanations… and quite some amount of blush on Adrien's face; and I pretty much enjoyed all those scenes.

Now the character that I didn’t like at all was Max.
He was quite obsessed with Zoe and the fact that she acted like a dumb little girl when being around him made me want to scream. Also I don’t like love-triangles, so I would have been more than happy if he didn’t have so much ‘paper’ time. When all the love trouble started to take over the action and mystery of the story, it kind of became tiresome and juvenile.

As you can see I didn’t tell much about the story because I don’t want to spoil it, but if/when you read it I hope you will like it better.

Happy midnight reading!

Book Source: ARC provided kindly by the publisher via Netgalley. Thanks a lot!

This review can also be found at ReadingAfterMidnight.com
____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________
Profile Image for Marielle.
422 reviews47 followers
July 8, 2012
Thank you Netgalley and St. Martin's Press!! This is the first book on Netgalley I've been approved for. Yay!

Secrets were strictly forbidden in the Community. Of course, it had never been a problem before, because we weren’t supposed to be capable of secrets. It was secrets that started the wars and almost destroyed the planet. Secrets and lies and destructive passions. But we were saved from all that. We were logical. Orderly.
Secrets were wrong. Keeping one was wrong. But I had more than that now, dangerous secrets, piling up like the lies I had to tell to keep them hidden.

Welcome to the Community, home of Humanity Sublime and perfect peace! Here, we’re all connected to the Link, which gets rid of our emotions. Emotions are what caused the Earth’s destruction, after all. Here we have no sadness, no happiness, no emotion whatsoever! However, there are those who glitch and their Links give out. They feel. They are anomalous and deadly dangerous. They upset our premier goal: Order first, Order always. They must be fixed immediately. If they cannot be fixed, they are to be deactivated, as soon as possible. Please report any anomalous behavior you witness.

Zoe lives in the Community. She never knew how it was to feel, to truly live. But all of a sudden, she feels everything: panic, loneliness, love, fear. She’s not too sure she likes it at first because she is only feeling the bad emotions. Until she meets Adrien. His blue-green eyes seem more alert than the others. He seems more alive, but then again, she is desperate to have someone. To not be so alone in holding this nearly-impossible-to-hide secret. But Zoe has another secret, too. She’s Telekinetic. She can move things with nothing but a thought, but her power is erratic, at best. Glitch follows Zoe as she struggles to keep these secrets with the risk of them fixing her glitches, or worse: deactivation.

First of all, I want to talk about Zoe’s power: Telekinesis. I loved the idea of Telekinesis because it’s a really cool thing that hasn’t been used much in recent literature. As a matter of fact, I was thinking how cool it would be to have Telekinesis just the other day. After all, it is my go-to answer when I’m asked, “If you had a superpower, what would it be?” Telekinesis, my friends. There is nothing more awesome than Telekinesis. It has the power to do pretty much anything, it’s something that isn’t usually used, and, you have to admit, it’s the best superpower. Ever.

Another really tremendous aspect of this book was it’s story line. Ms. Anastasiu did an incredible job to keep this book surprising. And, boy, was I surprised. I wouldn’t have been more surprised if a ninja dropped down from the ceiling and slapped me in the face before climbing out the window and escaping into the night. Okay, well, maybe a little more surprised, but it was still the least predictable book I have read in a long time, maybe ever. It was a wonderful story.

Glitch is a story about discovering emotions, color, and one’s true self. When Zoe is free for the first time, it made me think about the beauty of the world around us and how we take both our freedom and beauty for granted. Anastasiu explains each emotion so well that it felt like I was just learning them all for the first time, along with Zoe. It also made me rethink about love a little bit. The love between Zoe and Adrien is so precious and I just adored it to pieces. I could really feel all of Zoe’s emotions. I cried when she cried, I loved when she did, and I felt loss when she did. Fantastic book!
Profile Image for Ambur.
794 reviews430 followers
August 22, 2012
Glitch was one of my most anticipated books for this year, and I am extremely glad to say that it completely lived up...and even surpassed all of my expectations! :D As I always do when I read dystopians I payed attention to the way that the world has changed and how the author has crafted their world...and I loved the way that Heather Anastasiu created hers! She described it so well, and made it stand out. I could actually picture it the way Zoe did, with everything grey and monotone until she glitched, and then there would be bursts of colour! It created such a dynamic story and made it so easy to visualize...which I absolutely loved! :D I also loved the way that Zoe's character was revealed. In the world of Glitch, people don't feel the way that they do now. They're basically computers; like little worker bees...acting like droids to accomplish day to day tasks. It's kind of depressing. They don't feel or think on their own, but Zoe, or Zoel (her full name :P), is glitching...so she's able to actually experience life on her own. :D

Not only was Heather Anastasiu's world in Glitch flushed out and incredibly intricate, the characters were fantastic! Considering that the majority of people in Zoe's world are drones with no mind of their own...it's pretty amazing that the characters that we meet in Glitch have such life and vibrancy. Each character stands out so well, even the ones that remain under the Community's control. Zoe characterizes them for us. Her brother in particular stands out a lot considering he actually doesn't play a large role in this book, and I loved that Heather Anastasiu was able to make characters stand out so well, especially in a world where everyone pretty much just blends in. :)

So let's summarize so far: the world...amazing, the characters....also amazing, and the plot...fan-freaking-tastic! :D I loved it! Dystopians generally share the whole underground-rebellion-trying-to-overthrow-the-society factor, and Glitch definitely has that, but I felt that Heather Anastasiu did a wonderful job at keeping her story unique. The fact that people are basically computers with no feelings kind of makes this story stand out on its own, and the glitching aspect makes it even more so...especially since glitching (as the description tells you) also leads to other abilities. Together all these elements create an amazing and addictive story...and I haven't even mentioned boys yet! :D I'm not going to say too much about them because if I do I might give away some spoilers, but I will say that I have a definite favourite and I don't think that the other guy even comes close to competing...I don't even really consider it a love triangle, but I'll keep quite and let you make up your mind about it all when you read it. ;)

Overall, I loved this book! I can't even begin to think of or use enough words to describe Glitch with as much praise as I want to. I seriously LOVED this book, and it's definitely my favourite out of all the new series that I've started this year. :D Heather Anastasiu is an amazing story teller, and I definitely think that it'll be hard for readers to read this one without quickly becoming swept up in Zoe's story. :D I recommend this one to dystopia fans, and anyone who loves the whole sci-fi element with people being linked to computers. I was also a fan of the romance in this book, and I can't wait for the story, the romance, and the characters to further develop in the next one! :D
Profile Image for Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri}.
196 reviews153 followers
May 28, 2012
Caution: Rant ahead; proceed at your own cost.

Shhh! Don’t tell anyone, but the truth is I couldn’t didn’t finish the book. I got halfway in, then decided I couldn’t take it anymore.

To start with what I liked, I was glad when the book started, Zoel was already glitching. I didn’t want to go through pages of blankness and robotic-ness. I’m glad the Zoel started questioning everything before Adrien came. The story premise was interesting and I can honestly say I really wanted to read it. That’s about it.

Ms. Anastasiu: if you can’t come up with new words that don’t make your characters sound like dimwits, don’t use them at all. I can’t possibly like a guy who says shunting, gnangy, and godlam’d.

Insta-love to the extreme. In Twilight, she saw him for a week or so before she was in love with him. Zoel saw Adrien for maybe five hours before she decided she may be in love with him.

Characters:
Zoel was just another Mary Sue. She relied on men to do anything. She falls in love with a guy after knowing him for all of a few hours. Zoel didn’t know she was pretty till the fact was pointed out to her.

I’m having a weird sense of deja vu…

description

—Bella doesn’t seem to know either!
Adrien bored me to death. I have nothing else to say.

Max was even worse. I’m guessing he’s part of the love triangle, but how could any one like him after (and no, I am not joking) he asks her if he could see her genitalia. And he’s a love interest.

Fail.

Plot:
I’ve read bad books with horrible characters, but I usually keep reading because I may be mildly interested in the plot. Maybe I didn’t get far enough, but the plot was boring. I didn’t care about anything.

Even though I only got halfway in, I saw some holes in the plot. For example, if the memory disruptor would make Zoe forget about her make out session with Adrien, wouldn’t it make her forget about glitching? And if glitching made sure the disruptor didn’t work, she would remember Adrien.

Granted, I’m probably over thinking this.

What I liked/disliked:

Liked:

■ Zoel was already glitching
■ Premise
■ Zoe was questioning things

Disliked:

■ Plot
■ Zoel
■ Adrien
■ Adrien’s cuss words
■ Max
■ Insta love

In conclusion:
I strongly disliked this book, so much so I dropped it (something I haven’t done in a very long time). I do not recommend it to anyone and suggest you avoid it like the plague.

Profile Image for Crystal.
449 reviews89 followers
May 22, 2012
Wow just wow! I am totally stunned that Heather Anastasiu managed to take a story that I have read a thousand times and make it new and exciting. I am completely blown away in a very very good way.

This story is amazing. I got completely lost in the wonderful storytelling and I really felt like nothing was left out. That is a hard thing to say because usually I can always find one area where I wanted or needed to know more but this author did an amazing job at informing the reader and building a world with her words. This whole dystopian genre needed a facelift and my gawd Heather Anastasiu has definitely accomplished this by giving us the reader a whole new level of fresh ideas. Okay moving on from my fangirling.

The story is about Zoel and basically she is a drone along with every other person inside her community. Back in the day the world exploded in a way and a group of leaders decided to implant certain hardware into humans making them behave in a calm like manner and never able to experience any kind of emotions. People though this was the answer and that their new world would be a better place. Zoel thought this too until she started glitching. Glitching is when the human or really drone starts feeling and thinking for themselves. This is anomal and anyone experiencing these malfunctions is supposed to report to the authorities. Zoel did not do this and as you can guess all hell breaks loose in her life. Especially after finding out there are other glitchers you haven't been turned in either. The author does an amazing job at showing the reader exactly how this world functions. She gives reasons and explanations for everything. I could not have asked for anything more.

The characters were awesome as well. I really loved reading from Zoel's point of view and I have to say that I did see a certain twist coming but I didn't see all of it. I am shocked at one characters decisions but I think he will make for a brilliant villain because the best kind of villain is an obsessed stalker am I right?? Adrien was an awesome male hero and I am very excited to see where his story goes. The only thing that I would have wanted to change a tad was the romance. I wish it would have built a little slower, but in the end I can totally understand why the author chose to have it go the way she did.

Would I recommend this book?? That would be a big HALE yes! If you are looking for a fresh dystopian book among all the others you will not be disappointed with this one!
Profile Image for Jodi Meadows.
Author 23 books4,611 followers
February 17, 2013
My official comments:

GLITCH kept me up long past bedtime with its quick pace, wonderfully creepy technology, and a frighteningly believable world. Fans of dystopian novels will love this delightful debut.

My unofficial comments:

THOSE CHIPS ARE FREAKING SCARY. D: D: D:
Profile Image for Kayla.
83 reviews10 followers
July 23, 2012
Holy s*** I LOVED this book. This is my first time reading a Sci-Fi/Fantasy type book and OMFG Heather Anastasui has rocked my world. I have seen many mixed reviews and a lot of people didn't like this book but I honestly loved it! Zoe kept me super interested the whole time... I couldn't stop flipping the pages.

Zoel is apart of the Community where everyone is inserted with a V-Chip which keeps them from feeling human emotions and connected to "The Link". That is until she starts "Glitching" and feeling human emotions... Zoe knows she should report herself to be fixed or deactivated but everyday she Glitches she becomes more aware that the things around her aren't normal.

Adrien is also a Glitcher who sees the future, and he has seen Zoe in his visions for quite a while. When he rescues Zoe and takes her to the Surface and tries to explain everything to her she almost dies from a mold allergy, which means that Adrien has to take her back to the Community. Before she heads back Adrien has someone install her with with software that will make her forget so she doesn't get caught for being anomalous. On the other hand you have Max who sees Zoe everyday at school, and she soon finds out he too is a Glitcher and has a thing for her. I'm serious I laughed to freaking hard when he asked her to see her genitalia hahahahaha!

To be quite honest I DO NOT LIKE MAX ONE BIT! Not from the time that she first found out he was a Glitcher and I didn't understand why until later in the book. I am definitely TEAM ADRIEN. Adrien is so polite and he acts like a gentlemen. He is super sweet and when him and Zoe kiss OMG I totally melt! They almost get caught for being anomolous SO MANY times and it kept me on the edge of my seat and cringing the WHOLE ENTIRE time! I LOVED the adrenline rush that this book gave me... I felt like there was CONSTANT action. There was not one dull moment in this book. So many secrets going on that the Community doesn't want anyone to know about, it's CRAZY!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE FREAKING LOVED THIS BOOK so much. You need to buy it and give it a chance. Sure it may not be everyone's cup of tea... which is good because I don't even like tea. This book was like the best Mocha Frapp I've ever had in my life. So yeah... pick it up read it and see if it's for you... like I say "you'll never know until you try".

e-book provided by publisher for honest review.
Profile Image for Janie.
990 reviews119 followers
December 27, 2016
Right away, I was hooked on the circumstances of Glitch. The Community Corp has taken the liberties of rescuing people (and putting them in a controlled environment underground) from the nuclear war that destroyed the Old World. Each person is given a V-chip that suppresses their emotions. They are Linked In and all is orderly.

Then there are people who "glitch" - who somehow are able to override the V-chip. Zoel, a 17 year old, has been glitching for a few months. So far, she has successfully hidden it. The population has been programmed to report anomalies, like Zoel's glitching.

Anastasiu did an amazing job creating a dystopian world and such intriqute characters. Zoel is such a great heroine - she wants to save not only glitchers, but everyone else too. She wants people to be free. Free from the Community Corp and the V-chips.

Adrien has to be one of my favorite guy leads in YA to date. He was everything a strong male lead should be. Maximin was everything you would want in a confused, highly emotional teenage boy. And I absolutely adore books where you find out the who-dun-it and then a new villian arises that could possibly be even worse than the first villian! There were so many unbelievable twist and turns throughout the book - it had me on the edge of my seat the whole way through!

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for letting me get my paws on this book!

I highly recommend this to readers who loved Hunger Games, Divergent, and Delirium.
Profile Image for Michelle.
839 reviews57 followers
June 27, 2012
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A futuristic adventure, filled with choice, friendship, and strength, taken place in a fantastic world.

Opening Sentence: I felt it coming this time.

The Review:

There has been a good amount of science fiction books. I’m a huge fan of science fiction, originating from the days of Aldous Huxley, Ray Bradbury, and even Douglas Adams. When I was given Heather Anastasiu’s Glitch to review, I was intrigued. There were promises of futuristic societies, controlled thoughts, and implantation of computer chips into people. Glitch definitely delivered wonder and amazement, and so much more.

In Glitch, a young girl stands apart from many others. Where the masses are connected and numbed from all independent thought, Zoe malfunctions. As someone who glitches, Zoe begins to have feelings, emotions, and eventually an identity. And because glitching is forbidden, she begins to hide the truth from everyone. Slowly, Zoe’s emotions are becoming uncontrollable, revealing another secret: her telekinetic powers. Struggling to control her glitching and her abilities, Zoe meets others like her. Zoe’s world is opened to a whole new truth that even she couldn’t fathom.

Zoe is an amazing character. She was believable, despite the futuristic setting. Anastasiu allowed me to not only sympathize with Zoe, but to also want to become her. Despite the harsh reveal of the truths of her own world, Zoe experienced things in a new light. Zoe experienced art in a way that I never thought about. Zoe was a person with upstanding morals and overall positive personality traits. She was strong when needed and compassionate towards others.

Zoe encounters two significant people throughout her glitching days. One is Adrien, who noticed Zoe at the beginning of her glitches. Adrien helped her escape in a time of need, and he opened her eyes to the Resistance. He loved her for who she was, and he watched over her when she least expected it. The other significant person is Max. I’m not sure if he was meant to be the other point in a love triangle, but I felt that he was a good support system for Zoe when she needed him. A childhood friend, Max proved his worth on many occasions. Despite a few wrong intentions, I felt that Max was a good plot twist in the story.

Anastasiu’s world is amazing. The way that she built up the culture of Zoe’s world was detailed with vivid imagery. I was standing in the Community, plugged in with the others. I believed along with Zoe that the way to life was, “Community first. Community always.” And then Anastasiu flips it all around to show me the outskirts and the Resistance, a whole new community with a different dynamic and culture. Each entity and social group with their own beliefs, and each one with characters important to the story and to the plot’s cause.

I was fascinated by the social dynamics written into Glitch. I appreciated the slow steps to revealing the different sides of the equation. It brought me back to the days of Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I was fascinated with the Community collective, their dynamic with each other and the government, as well as the Resistence, their beginnings and how they came to be. There were so many levels of depth in this book, that it has quickly made its way on my favorites shelf.

Anastasiu does not hold back in her writing abilities. From the world descriptions to the world building, and then to the depth of each character involved in the storyline, Glitch has the makings of a fantastic read. There are messages of experiences, loyalty, and personalities written throughout the story. Each one adding weight to the words on the page. I can’t say, “If you like [book], then you’ll love Glitch,” only because it stands out on its own.

Notable Scene:

The memory came with a jolt of fear, bursting temporarily through the solid Link barrier that kept my emotions silenced. I almost gasped, only barely managing to suppress it at the last moment. This had never happened before. Normally once the Link had taken complete control, I felt and thought nothing until I glitched again days or weeks later.

Inside I flailed in panic, trying desperately to keep every muscle twitch, every shift of my eyes completely under control as the fear pulsed through me. I didn’t dare turn my head, but I looked around as discreetly as possible at the people near me in line. The small aluminum circle under the skin of my chest, my heart and vitals monitor, vibrated slightly in response to my increased heart rate.

The subjects nearby hadn’t noticed the buzzing— they were too zoned out to the Link— but I knew that if I didn’t get my panic under control immediately, the monitor would start a loud beeping alarm, alerting the huge crowds of Market Corridor that I was anomalous, possibly defective. The Regulators I had passed moments before would drag me away. Would I be like the girl, and come back all fi xed and never glitch again? Or would I be like the boy, and never come back at all? The questions only made the panic rise higher.

FTC Advisory: Macmillan/St. Martin’s Press provided me with a copy of Glitch. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review.
Profile Image for Dark Faerie Tales.
2,274 reviews544 followers
July 30, 2012
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Opening Sentence: I felt it coming this time.

The Review:

Notable Scene:

Profile Image for Karina Halle.
Author 125 books15.5k followers
May 18, 2012
Recommended for: People who liked the concept of Matched but were bored by it, sci-fi/dystopia fans, those who like fast-paced reading without too much deep thought, Delirium fans

What if the future consisted of everyone living in underground cities? What if everyone was “Linked” up to a sort of internet/database through a port in the back of our necks? What if we were all programmed to feel nothing, the only emotion being physical pain? Would a world of mindless peace be worth it? Or would it be hell?

Glitch starts off a lot like Allie Condie’s Matched. I was intrigued by the concept of Matched and the world-building aspects but the book bored me to death. Glitch is like Matched, except with a more exciting and proactive heroine, a swoonworthy boy, a diabolical enemy, and a few twists and turns you don’t see coming. It is fast-paced and enthralling. Is it perfect? NOPE. But who cares.

The book starts off with the main character Zoel (Zoe) fiddling with “glitching” – basically there are times when the LINK network that everyone is hooked up to malfunctions and people can actually feel emotions such as happiness and sorrow, they can think for themselves and see color, have hope. Feel love for their family members.

But very few people, it seems, Glitch. And glitching is dangerous. People have had it drilled into their heads since a young age that all anomalous behaviour is to be reported to the “monitors” and if catch you acting anomalously, they can deprogram or deactivate (kill you).

So yeah there’s that. Zoel must learn to control her glitching and keep it a secret. But she meets two other boys who are glitchers as well and everything goes to hell in a handbasket.

There’s a love triangle of sorts, but the way it is done at the start (which I won’t spoil) actually makes it believable. But one of the dudes is a complete douchecanoe, which makes the triangle a bit of a no-brainer. There’s insta-love too, but again, the author gets away with it because “love” is such a new concept to Zoel…it’s quite beautiful in a way. It’s like going on a life-long cleanse and finally having chocolate cake – you’re going to eat the hell out of that until you're fatty fatty fat fat.

I’m sure some people will find fault with the logic in the book – I probably would too if I really thought about it but the book entertained me and had me shouting “Nooooooo!” at various points, which to me is a good sign. It had me emotionally involved – all I really want from a novel.

Some of the characterization was a bit flat and the book felt a bit jumbled and uneven from time to time. And yes, the concept has been done a million times before in books and movies but I liked Zoe’s tale for what it was (and there are superhero powers in this book…necessary? Maybe not. Fun? Definitely).

Anyway, I don’t want to spoil too much and I could go on and on explaining the world and what happens, but that’s something you’ll figure out in the book. It’s a trilogy and I’ll definitely be waiting impatiently for the next book. *taps foot*
Profile Image for Jessica.
Author 2 books167 followers
July 10, 2014
See more of my reviews on my blog Thoughts At One In The Morning.

My Thoughts:

My initial thoughts on the synopsis were YAY for more dystopias! Then as I was reading it, I wasn’t too sure what to make of it. It started out slightly boring, Zoe was a bit dull, but it might have been just because she was confused at what was happening to her with the glitching. Then it suddenly picked up and I got sucked in trying to understand the composition of this society and the cracks in its walls.

The point where it picks up, it seems to go a little bit fast, almost too fast. Zoe meets Adrien and HELLO insta-love. As much as I wanted to hate it, I couldn’t. Why? Because I’m a hopeless romantic and sometimes you just want to see it happen. And this time, when I saw it, I was pleased.

After all that jazz, then things head into a new direction due to a slight change of plans. Zoe finds herself without the short term memory of Adrien and back at square one. I found myself more intrigued, wanting to see if she can find her way back to him, despite the obstacles in her way, including a fellow friend and glitcher, Max. They all work on orchestrating a way to safely escape, since time is short before their society, the Community, discovers the glitching.

When I reached the end of the book, I have to say I was surprised at how much I liked it, considering the boring start. Glitch was worth it to me. I grew to love the characters, and I still stand by liking the insta-love. And the kissing? Magnificent, simply magnificent. The journey throughout made me captivated enough to want more. I’m not really sure in which direction the next book will go, but I am interested in where Heather Anastasiu plans on taking me next.

My Rating:

Very Good: Stay up late
Profile Image for Savannah (Books With Bite).
1,399 reviews184 followers
July 13, 2012
There are so many amazing books this year, including this one. An highly anticipated book, Glitch lives up to the hype!

I'm very impressed with the world building of the story. Action packed, Glitch immediately throws the readers in a world of deception. I often wondered what it would be like it everyone were controlled. And this story, give just that. A front-row seat to the story of the year. I loved that along with a good moving plot, there are twist and turns the reader does not see. With so many lies going around, the reader doesn't see what is right under the nose.
The characters of the book are written perfectly. I enjoyed reading the main character Zoe, go through the stress of glitching. The panic of what if she got caught, the adrenaline rush to stay calm and keep a straight face on. What a rush! At times, I found myself holding my breath, release with relief when she made it through.

The love interest for me developed a little fast, still I liked their presence together. The love came on rather quickly in the mix of the glitching. It still manges to capture my heart since all they have is each other. When your the only one glitching and the government is watching you every move, trust must be made between someone you trust. The few moments that they steal together is soo romantic.

Glitch is the ultimate unsettling plot. Raging with deep secrets of lawless dystopia, I fell in love. Glitch is a solid beginning to an amazing series. Glitch is perfect!

Profile Image for Kelley.
98 reviews25 followers
May 15, 2012
This review also appears on Reading to Stay Alive

* Received from Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for an honest review.

In the world of Glitch, the people are closer resembled to robots, or drones than actual human beings. The only ones capable of glitching are children and teens. The ones who have yet to get their permanent v-chip installed. Our main character Zoel, better known to her glitching friends as Zoe, is glitching big time. But not only that, she has a secret, a secret power. She can move things with her mind.

This is a dangerous power and an even more dangerous secret. When she is not glitching, she is in the link, a perfect follower, no different from anyone else. Seeing only in gray, and even contemplating turning herself in as a glitcher, to keep the community running in perfect order. That is what she should do, what she is programmed to do. But when she glitches, she is able to feel emotions she doesn’t even know how to describe. Emotions that existed long before the community had to move below the surface of the earth because of the Nuclear Holocaust, emotions that brought on it's very own destruction.

Glitch explores a wide range of emotion. The descriptions in the novel were very well received. I felt as if I was experiencing these emotions with Zoe for the first time myself. Sweet and innocent, Zoe goes on an adventure and later cannot recall what has happened. So much is out of her own control and in the hands of the Uppers, the ones that try to catch glitchers and either fix them or deactivate them.

On her quest to figure out what happened during her memory lapse and her newfound urge to escape, she finds out a boy she knows very well is also a glitcher. This boy is Max, now Max is exactly what I would expect him to be. A teenage boy, who has never once experienced emotions and has to absorb them all at once. He is pushy, needy, and clingy; basically he is the boy that just wants sex, magnified about one thousand times. He can’t control his emotions and that makes him dangerous. He goes on and on about the passions Zoe, not understanding what he is asking, complies. She lets him in her world, but is always cautious of his incessant need.

Not only is their Max but there is also Adrien, that is right fellow readers, another lovely Adrien. He might just have had that in his favor that there is already a lovable Adrian out there in book land that I could associate him with. He is in control to the extreme. The exact opposite of Max, but he has some secrets of his own. Deadly games are played with these two boys involved in Zoe's life. But she can't leave anyone behind, now that she can see the world through her own eyes. Everyone has to play their role if they want to escape this world of computer chip control. Zoe has to figure out who to trust, and if she can learn to trust her own emotions, even though they are so new to her.

One of my favorite things about this book is that nothing is left unexplained. There is so much information that is perfectly laid out for us to gather along the way. There is a deeper exploration of love, and passion. Even getting into the interesting idea that love is a reaction of not just the mind, but the body as well. Anastasiu knew exactly what she was doing when she created each of these characters. She had a well thought out plan for Max, Adrien and Zoe. This book kept me in tune and had my heart pumping for what could possibly happen next. I look forward to reading the sequel!
Profile Image for Hilda.
200 reviews144 followers
February 19, 2014

It has been two months since Zoel started glitching. Whenever she glitches, her senses become sharper. She can see colors in things, tastes food, and feel emotion she doesn’t know what to call. Zoel knows that she has to report herself, but she keeps delaying it. She doesn’t want to be deactivated yet. She will hide her glitching, although it means that she has to betray her community.

When an aquamarine-eyed boy, Adrien, saves her from deactivation, Zoel follows him to his home and learns the truth about her community. Adrien told her that he has vision of Zoel leading the rebellion, but will his vision come true? Will she still remember her mission when her memory is wiped again?

Without the Link and its constant instruction, I was completely lost. This boy had offered me escape, but I had no idea what came next. He did.

I like the science-fiction aspects in this book. It’s kind of cool reading about the arm panel and access port in the back of the neck. These people are half cyborg, and it’s very interesting to know that they actually have heart pumping blood to every part of the body. Children are made in laboratories, carefully selected features from compatible mates. People in Zoel’s world are treated like slaves, incapable of any human emotions like love or beauty, and they don’t even have choice. When they’re old and not in the ‘productive’ age anymore, they’re simply deactivated. It’s impossible not to feel any pity toward this community.

Zoel, or as she prefers to be called Zoe, is a very interesting character. I think it’s clear that this book is intended for younger audience. She has overwhelming urge to save the day, and she wants to save everyone, even the villains, in the process. I expected to see more ruthless side of Zoe, but I like her naïve and kind side too. She’s the kind of heroine you would love if you’re more into strong yet compassionate heroine.

The love triangle is very strange and a bit messy. I don’t think that Max ever has any chance to get into Zoe’s heart. I usually feel sad for the guy whom the heroine doesn’t choose but in this case, it’s very hard to feel sympathetic toward Max. He’s possessive, selfish, and forceful. Zoe doesn’t feel the same way Max wants him, but it’s not the reason for him to shout at her or act like a child. Max does have some positive points, but most of the time these qualities are overshadowed by his dark side.

Glitch might not offer you something provoking, but you may want to read this book in your spare time. I did quite enjoy this book and look forward to read the continuation of this series. I hope I would get more attached to Zoe and learn more about their powers in the second book.

“Fell in love?” I frowned. “Love makes you fall?”

He laughed a little. He paused, looking up toward his brain, something I noticed he did when he was thinking. “It’s just a saying. It means that two people start loving each other. I guess because it can feel really sudden and because it’s powerful. Like gravity— an unstoppable force.”

“Love is like gravity?” I was still puzzling out the concept. “It sounds violent.”

He laughed and nodded. “But in a good way.”

Read other reviews in my blog! :)
Catch the Lune
Catch the Lune
Profile Image for Amy Acosta.
360 reviews80 followers
August 2, 2012
In a world where humans exist controlled by the Link, a program that leaves them without emotion, glitching is a serious problem. Zoe glitches, and as far as she knows she’s the only one experiencing freedom from the Link. If she doesn’t learn to control her feelings when she’s disconnected someone might report her and she’ll be reprogrammed. But that’s not her biggest problem. Zoe has telekinetic powers, and if someone discovers that she’ll be deactivated! Then Zoe meets others like her, kids with incredible powers who are glitching too. This futuristic dystopia will keep your eyes glued to the page as Zoe and her friends struggle to escape the clutches of the Community before they’re discovered and deactivated.

One of the things I love about dystopias is the use of technology, and the one used in Glitch blew me away. The most impressive were the bionic additions like a control panel on their forearms, the link port on the back of the neck, and the chip installed on their brains. The idea that humans could be infected with a paralyzing virus with a USB port is terrifying. Also the Link system used to control emotions, basically leaving the humans emotionless and indifferent. There’s no compassion, no care, nothing. I shuddered every time the humans acted like that. By contrast the characters were very much alive, interesting, and complex.

Zoe captured my attention from page one. In those precious moments she glitches, she pays special attention to color because everything else in her world is so gray. This makes for very rich descriptions and an attention to detail that creates a wonderful prose. She also gets to know emotions; protectiveness towards her brother, concern for the people, love for Adrien. Even though her memories of their time are erased she still remembers those green-blue eyes. When Max comes into the picture, Adrien is so understanding that it just made me love him all the more.

One of my biggest issues with these types of emotions themed dystopias, where emotions are suppressed or controlled for the good of human kind, and then our hero or heroine somehow begin experiencing emotions, is the naïve role they have to play. It’s necessary, of course, but it makes it very frustrating for me. I hated Max with all my heart, yet Zoe didn’t see anything wrong with what he was doing. And I couldn’t say Zoe was being stupid about it, because the fact is she has no experience dealing with that kind of stuff. So, yeah, frustrating.

The last chapters had me literally biting my nails with all the twists and double twists being thrown in. I would’ve like for Zoe to have had more experience with her power before unleashing that awesomeness at the end. It just seemed convenient that one minute she didn’t know how to control it and the next she’s easily battling everyone and anyone who got in their path. Don’t get me wrong, it was all very kick ass and exciting, but not believable.

I tell you now, even with the couple of things that irked me I devoured this ARC in 8 hours or so. I literally could NOT put it down. I had to know what happened to Zoe next, and how many other people with powers appeared, and how would they ever get out. Overall, I’m really excited with this new series and can’t wait to see what comes next!

*I received this book via Netgalley from the publisher*
Profile Image for Jennifer.
443 reviews70 followers
August 10, 2012
I really wasn't sure what to expect going into Glitch. I'd heard good things about it, it sounded like something I would enjoy from the synopsis. What I wasn't expecting was that I would love it so much! I picked up this book the other night and sat there and read half of it. Even though I knew I had to go to bed since I worked the next day. I couldn't help it and eventually had to force myself to put it down. I really enjoy the writing style of Heather Anastasiu and am looking forward to reading more from her. This book is fairly past paced and is exciting and nerve wrecking at the same time. I was always worried for Zoe and her friends and that they would get caught.

Basically, this is another dystopia (what else can you really expect from me??) and it was just a little bit more shocking to me than other ones because people can't even think for themselves. They have been implanted with V-chips, a chip that connects them to the Link network and keeps them completely emotionless. There is no anger, jealousy, sadness. But there is also no happiness or pleasure. People are basically walking drones who go about their assigned duties with no questions asked. Maybe there are other similar dystopias out there, but none that I've read yet. Then, as Zoe discovers, some of the younger generations are glitching, their bodies have evolved to fight the V-chip, resulting in powers of "gifts". After being exposed to emotions, Zoe has to hide her feelings until she can escape, if she's caught she could be "deactivated" (killed).

I really like Zoel (Zoe) as a character. She's a bit naive, but she's never had emotions before, so it's completely understandable. She never even had choices. So after a taste of what's out there, it's no wonder she doesn't want to give it up. She finds relief inf finding another "glitcher" in Max, one of her schoolmates. She's not alone anymore. Then there is Adrien, the boy who gives her hope that she might be able to escape and help others become free of the link.

So there is a bit of a love triangle, but it kind of works for this book. Since Zoe is so new to emotions, it's pretty easy for her to be manipulated. I like Adrien because he seems more sincere in his feelings for Zoe. He really cares for her, even if she can't remember at first how she felt about him. Max just creeps me out and I had a bad feeling about him the whole time. All he seemed to want was "pleasures", and was extremely jealous and controlling and possessive of Zoe. But he was Zoe's first friend, so she is easily manipulated by him.

All in all, Glitch is an excellent read. It's a really great debut novel and I'm definitely looking forward to more of the story. I loved it, so I'm definitely recommending this one to you!
Profile Image for Amber (Books of Amber).
580 reviews682 followers
August 2, 2012
Finished it in one day. Such a great book.

---

This was aweeesomeeee *sings*

Glitch is a brilliant asset to the YA science fiction genre, and I bet a lot of you sci-fi fans out there will adore it. Glitch combines science fiction with some dystopian AND some typical fantasy elements - fully explained by science, of course - and mixes them up in this fantastic story.

Zoe, the main character, was a badass. She goes through a hell of a lot throughout this novel, and at the end she manages to stay standing. Well, figuratively. Her powers and her character grow as she discovers more about the world she lives in, and it was a lot of fun to read about her struggles (I know, I'm evil) as well as her growth.

I think that, at first, the romance between Zoe and Adrien progressed a tiny bit too quickly. Then, for various reasons, the breaks were put on and I started to really enjoy their build up. There was an unexpected love triangle (I'm not sure why I didn't see it coming, because HELLO, look at the summary!) and I wasn't a fan of Max. That said, I do think that this love triangle was necessary for the story's progression as well as for Zoe's character growth. It didn't seem like it was just thrown in there for the sake of the current YA trend.

I absolutely ADORE books about people with powers or abilities. Don't you? In this world, some teenagers start to glitch if they begin to develop these abilities, and I thought it was a pretty awesome concept! We see several different types of abilities, and I hope to see a lot more in the future because this was one of my favourite elements of the story!

The world building in this was also great. You can tell that the author spent vast amounts of time on it, and she has thought this through to create a fantastic sci-fi setting.

If you're a fan of science fiction, then I think this book is a must read. It's captivating, fun and - at times - hilarious! There were several laugh out loud moments, a few of which I shared on Twitter and the people who replied thought it was awesome.
Profile Image for Claire.
261 reviews37 followers
July 30, 2014
Zoe has grown up her whole life thinking that the Community knows best. That being connected to the link and disconnected from feelings is the best way of life. But Zoe likes when she glitches. She can feel, see, smell things differently. She know's she should report herself, she is an anomaly, and they can fix her, but she just can't bring herself to do it. Zoe's world gets shaken when she finds out Max is a glitcher too and Adrien has a gift, same as her.

Zoe is such a strong character. At first, I found it annoying that she was so oblivious, but then I realised that this is what her world is like, one of oblivion. She can't help it and she deals with it the best way she can. By the end, I couldn't believe how much she changed throughout the novel, making her one of the most lovable characters I have ever encountered. Adrien was such a sweet boy, and I found myself comparing him to Max the entire way through the novel - and yes, I like Adrien much much more. Max was a good/bad character, you can see how the glitching is affecting him and you know he seems wrong and the fact that Zoe can't see it made me scream at the book!

This world that Heather Anastasiu has created, makes you question everything. She has built this world, with these amazing characters and it will suck you in. There are twists around every corner, some more obvious than others, but all exciting as you discover more and more as you read.

Glitch is a wonderful new Dystopian novel, one that keeps you entranced from start to finish. The story line is powerful and compelling, making you stop and think about the world that Zoe lives in. This is a fantastic start to a wonderful new trilogy, one I highly recommend.
Profile Image for Karen.
187 reviews6 followers
July 20, 2012
OK, if there is one thing that creeps me out it’s a super hyper-ordered society. Well, if I’m being honest there are a lot of things that creep me out. Spiders. Weird meats. The hair on the floor in beauty salons. But Stepford societies are definitely also one of them. And Glitch? Is one of those Stepford societies. For real. It actually reminded me a bit of The Giver, which I didn’t especially love (I actually liked Glitch better) but it has some of the same hallmarks. Very repressed people in a very regimented society. Emotions are blocked from happening because, the folks are told, they previously led to a nuclear war. Thus, everyone is really, really boring. Those who glitch and experience emotion – like Zoe – are in grave danger of being reprogrammed at best and deactivated (or killed) at worst.

I definitely liked the book overall but there were a couple of things that bothered me. One big one was Adrien’s speech patterns. At first I thought I was just being overly picky, but as the book went on it really started to chafe. He uses these crazy made-up swear words and he does it A LOT. Too much. I also had some issues with the insta-love, but there was an interesting twist there at least. And the love triangle left me feeling kind of cold, but that’s true of most books.

That said, there was more I liked in Glitch than not. I thought that the story itself was pretty unique. It was somewhat of an amalgam of other dystopians, but all put together it definitely had a plot that I hadn’t seen before. I thought Glitch was a really good debut. It had some really nice twists and turns and an ending that left me wanting the next book.
Profile Image for Lenore Appelhans.
Author 8 books689 followers
Read
June 28, 2012
Cybernetically-enhanced teen Zoe Gray is glitching, and if she's found out by her rigid underground society, she'll be reprogrammed or even deactivated. As she learns to stay hidden and control her developing telekinesis, she discovers other glitchers including two boys that vie for her affections - Adrian, a boy who can dream the future and Max, a shapeshifter.

If that last sentence makes you think "oh no - not another love triangle", fear not, because the triangle is not the core of the emotional journey (though it does have some rather cool implications plot-wise). Because Zoe has effectively been dead to emotion all her life, her glitching opens a whole new world for her. Her interactions with Adrian are so affecting because she has no artifice. Though he's a long term member of the resistance, Adrian renews his investment in the cause because he's so inspired by experiencing the beauty of the world through her innocent eyes. It's an incredibly tender romance with an underlying current of sizzle - and that's why it gets the Zombie Chicken Merit Badge for Romance.

The novel has so much more to offer too. An interesting world, high stakes, and a killer of a twist ending. Zoe's journey from naive follower to empowered fighter is exciting, emotional and kick-ass fun.
Profile Image for Sarah Elizabeth.
4,670 reviews1,269 followers
July 14, 2014
This was an interesting sci-fi story and I enjoyed it.

I liked Zoe, and I felt sorry for her with both the glitches, and the way she didn’t live what we would think of as a normal life. I was so glad that she stood her ground with a certain person though, and didn’t allow him to force her into doing something she wasn’t comfortable with.

The storyline in this was pretty good, and I enjoyed it overall. I have to admit to getting Max and Zoe’s brother confused though! Two characters with names so similar confuses me. I did have a very bad feeling about Max though, and just could not bring myself to trust him at all. No matter what he did he just creeped me out, and I didn’t like him!

This book did remind me of a couple of other books in places though – Delirium with the whole ‘love being dangerous’ thing, and just about every paranormal book ever in the main character being impervious to certain powers. We also got a serious Matrix vibe at the end!
There was romance in this and it did turn into a love triangle. I really liked Adrien, but again, I could not stand Max at all.

The ending to this was filled with twists, and I’m really interested to see what happens in the next book now!
Overall; good sci-fi story,
7 out of 10.
Profile Image for Gina (My Precious Blog).
471 reviews21 followers
September 12, 2012
Full review on the My Precious Blog @ thecallawayfam.blogspot.com

SUMMARY
Zoel, a teenage drone (girl) living in a futuristic world begins experiencing "glitches". Instead of viewing "the feed" which The Community links every citizen's brain to, she's actually experiencing emotions, colors and smells. This makes her a anomaly. Glitching needs to be reported immediately. Its imperative Zoel be repaired as soon as possible, there is only one problem - she likes these newly found abilities and doesn't want to give them up. But now someone has discovered her secret....

BACKGROUND

(From Goodreads) "Heather Anastasiu grew up in Texas and recently moved to Minneapolis with her family. When she's not busy getting lost exploring the new city, she spends most days writing at a café or daydreaming about getting a new tattoo." Glitch is Heather Anastasiu's action packed debut novel. It is book one of a new trilogy.

SETTING PACE AND STYLE

From the first page the author begins to describe the differences in this futuristic world. Writing style oscillates between very formal, plain and matter of fact in some places (sort of like "computer speak"), while in others its descriptive and rich. The story is very fast paced. It starts off with a bang and never really lets up. There are a few short lulls, but during this time its a period of discovery for the main character. One peculiar element was the author's bizarre made up curse language which some of the characters used, replacing other more familiar curses with words like "cracking", "shunting" and "godlamm". Glitch is told in first person through the eyes of Zoel, our female, "glitching"' heroine.

CHARACTERS AND PLOT

Zoel, the main narrator of this story, is a glitching drone. This girl has a vendetta to save everyone. She's harbors a truck load of guilt when things do go as planned, which came off as slightly annoying. Each glitching drone ends up having a super power. Zoel's is telekinesis. In the ends it turns out she does have a level head and a very strong mind.

Adrien a free thinking young man living outside The Community, disconnected from the feed and without a computer chip in his brain. He is an integral part of The Rez a faction of government resistance that is desperately trying to save glitching drones like Zoel. His visions of the future appear to keep him safe while traveling in and out of The Community rescuing people.

Maximum is another drone, one not unlike Zoel in that he's too is experiencing "glitching". His character boarders on overbearing. As his emotions surface, anger and lust move to center stage. Stewing over his obsession with Zoel, he comes across too unstable for me. His outbursts and desire to experience passions with Zoe were just over the top for me. Such a quick-tempered guy. I didn't like him much at all.

When a female drone starts glitching, she discovers she's not alone, but the world she accidently uncovers is full of emotions and controversy, will she be able to handle it and everything it has to offer?

RECOMMENDATION
Totally recommend this read to those readers who enjoy dystopian novels which have far fetched premises, romance and love triangles. Computer geeks may best appreciate this author's writing style. If you like tense novels where trouble is always lurking around every corner this book will not disappoint. Guys and well as girls should be able to appreciate this book because its action packed and brimming with adventure. Computer geeks may appreciate a book written in this style, too.

PERSONAL NOTE

This is a very different and creative read. I loved the world building even though it was far fetched. Many readers weren't into this one, but for me it worked out well. I liked the crazy unbelieveable premise. The citizens in this story live underground in tunnels where air quality must be monitored. They can't feel anything, are unable to see colors and don't have the ability to smell. This world operates under the premise that humans are better off void of emotions, or at least they are easier to control this way. So instead of being a free thinker, each citizen had a computer chip in his/her brain and is linked to a computer feed called "The Link".

The sweet innocence of the glitching drones brought a layer of endearment to the story. None of them had ever experienced emotions. Even a simple word like "sorry" was foreign. Water seeping from eyes was confusing and wet. Speaking blatantly without filters or not knowing proper etiquette proved to be quite humorous or even awkward at times. Dialogues between characters are almost like computers speaking to one another, the language is formal and rigid, but it works in this setting.

Glitch could almost be classified as a dystopian romance, with both instalove and a love triangle. Max and Adrien are the two love prospects who both vie for Zoel. I wasn't bothered by either because the romance was sweet and innocent and the instalove worked into the plot line because of Adrien's visions.

One drawback to the writing was the made up cuss words the author added to the dialogue especially noted when Adrien speaks. He frequently uses these strange made up bad words in place of real curses. I didn't appreciate this element and found it very distracting. It actually brought nothing to the table. I sure hope the author considers leaving these out in the next book, since for me, these strange words were distracting.

The conclusion was open ended, leaving much of the story left untold. The decisions some of the characters made at the last minute left me, surprised and taken aback. I'm really curious now what direction the author will take the next book as she left multiple possibilities.

RATING

I rate this one 4 out of 5 rings. I deducted one ring for the made up curse language which I felt distracting from my reading enjoyment. Other than that small flaw I really enjoyed this exciting read!

4 out of 5 Rings
(Entertaining - Looked Forward to Reading)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 914 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.