Gone Girl Gone Girl discussion


973 views
Please tell me I'm not the only person in the world who hates this...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Abby (new) - rated it 1 star

Abby Rose Anyone?


Edward Durand You are not Lucy. I did not care for this book at all.


message 3: by Abby (new) - rated it 1 star

Abby Rose Thank goodness.


Abish Me too


message 5: by Dan (new) - rated it 1 star

Dan Fernandez Boring characters, unbelievable, ridiculous ending. Like a bad episode of some formulaic cop show. Awful.


J. Dawn Miller Hated it. Probably the most hated book I've ever read. I'm so mad because I read it in anticipation of the movie. I love Ben Affleck and was really looking forward to seeing it. After reading it, (which a friend warned me it was awful. I should've listened) I'll never watch it. I want every second of my life back that I spent reading this book. And maybe even the time spent writing this review. I want to go back to a world where I'd never heard of it. "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" it out of my brain.


message 7: by Abby (new) - rated it 1 star

Abby Rose J. Dawn Miller wrote: "Hated it. Probably the most hated book I've ever read. I'm so mad because I read it in anticipation of the movie. I love Ben Affleck and was really looking forward to seeing it. After reading it, (..."

Bummer. Sorry it was such a let down for you. I wasn't too keen on it to begin with, my mom (who also disliked it) bought it secondhand, and I still hated it.

I haven't seen much of Ben Affleck, though I know he's pretty famous. He's the guy who played that funny actor character on Shakespeare in Love, right? The "Then he disappears for the length of a BIBLE!" guy? That movie was great. Unlike crappy Gone Girl.


Gabriel now, "hate" is a pretty strong word and even more, quite a strong feeling...

I don't see however valid reasons, why hate it??

sure, it's just a matter of taste, after all, some like it, some dislike it... some like it a lot, some strongly dislike it...

but hate it..??.. that's a bit extreme, for a book at least...


message 9: by Abby (last edited May 24, 2018 10:19AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Abby Rose Gabriel wrote: "now, "hate" is a pretty strong word and even more, quite a strong feeling...

I don't see however valid reasons, why hate it??

sure, it's just a matter of taste, after all, some like it, some di..."


What i hate about it is that even from the most techinal standpoints, such sentence structure, vocabulary, etc... This is not even a well writen book. I guess people's feelings can vary on was the "plot twist" in itself good (in mine, not at all), but i dont get what is subjective about HOW it was written. This is not a well writen book (examples of GOOD writing: Watership Down, The Thirteenth Tale, Jane Eyre, A Game of Thrones, His Dark Materials -- see the difference?). Even Twilight had comparively better writing than Gone Girl.

From a character standpoint, not only are the characters horrible human beings, but we're not even given reasons to root for them as antiheroes. Amy for example is supposed to be this masterminded psycho, but one cant even admire her for her alleged intellect in this book because she neither acts, nor reacts, nor is shown to think or make choices based on her supposed twisted, clever mind. Take what happened with the money belt. If she was as smart/savvy as the author claims, that never would have happened. No one who could set up her husband like she did would be that stupid while on the run. I read a CHILDREN'S book once, with a marginally smart heroine, who was able to keep a money belt concealed from everyone until the end of her story when it was needed. How is it that Amazing Amy didnt have the simple ability to do even that much?

Its an abusive, sick story, and calling the writing level subpar would be exceedingly generous Its hard not to hate something that bad.


Gabriel Lucy wrote: "Gabriel wrote: "now, "hate" is a pretty strong word and even more, quite a strong feeling...

I don't see however valid reasons, why hate it??

sure, it's just a matter of taste, after all, some ..."


well, Lucy,

I agree you have some valid points here, and me too I found some inconsistencies from a logical standpoint... here and there, some things don't add up or make full sense, I agree...

the writing style, OK, may not be at the masterpiece level, but it's passable in my humble opinion, for a book that's not aiming at the Nobel prize for literature, but maybe to entertain... so, I for one, I can live with that...

but, again, to "hate" it... that's quite a strong feeling in itself... if you, or anyone else for that matter, strongly dislike it, I can understand that, but to "hate" it, I don't really get it...

your arguments - valid, I agree - remind me of how I felt, and still feel about the controversial 50 shades series, which in my case I barely was able to rate it 2 stars, more out of courtesy for the publisher's work to edit it and improve it a bit...

so, I can relate to a "strongly dislike" feeling, I feel the same about the 50 shades... hehe...

but to hate it, that's a bit extreme I'd say... sure, you're free to love or hate or love and hate however you feel, but to "hate" this book is a bit extreme if you ask me...

the debate is interesting, that's why I jumped in too, with my little two cents, but still, hating is a bit too much, that's all I'm trying to say...


message 11: by Abby (new) - rated it 1 star

Abby Rose Gabriel wrote: "Lucy wrote: "Gabriel wrote: "now, "hate" is a pretty strong word and even more, quite a strong feeling...

I don't see however valid reasons, why hate it??

sure, it's just a matter of taste, aft..."


Hmm, perhaps i should have been a bit more clear as to my definition of "hate". I dont mean i hate it in that i think all copies should be burned, or as in i hate the author for writing it or think her efforts however ineffective the end product was should be directly insulted. Nothing of the kind.

What I hate is the effect this book is likely to have on future of what books are published. See, I am a writer myself, and as such I spend a lot of time checking out submission sites for literary agencies, and everytime i hear an agent wants "more books like Gone Girl", a little part of me dies. Its NOT a good book, and here people are trying to get more books like it in the hands of readers, while skilled writing gets looked over for not being Gone Girlish! I am aware that there are reasons for this, the book sold well so of course an agent wants a book they believe will similiarily be a cash magnet. But i also loathe the idea of hurtful, yet uncomplex, emotionally sick, main characters like Nick and Amy becoming not just a fad but a NORM in modern books. This has already happened to sitcoms; a few mean-spirited "comedy" shows were sucessful so now almost every sitcom has to have downright nasty characters described (wrongly) as "snarky" or "barbed" when they are realky just jerks. Soon every thriller could follow suit. They (at least the ones that get published) could all be full of bad writing and mindness hateful MCs.

As for your point about hate being too strong an emotion to have for a book, well, I dunno. If we can say we love a book (there are many books I love) we should be able to say the opossite if thats how we feel. Books are supposed to invoke strong emotions in us, otherwise what really is the point? Books arent always like movies, which can be over in a couple of hours, books stay with us for days at a time as we read them, thus they become part of our lives. Love and hate is also part of our lives.


Annette Berman I too loathed this book. It seemed to be a story about a narcissistic twit manipulating/hurting others for no good reason. Way too much of that in reality.
Saw an interview with the author recently which did nothing to alter my opinion. Will not be reading any more of her work.


Gabriel Lucy A. wrote: "Gabriel wrote: "Lucy wrote: "Gabriel wrote: "now, "hate" is a pretty strong word and even more, quite a strong feeling...

I don't see however valid reasons, why hate it??

sure, it's just a matt..."


well, Lucy, I am glad to see, to hear-read that you don't in fact "hate" this book so much to the extreme of hating as a feeling, as an emotion...

I can understand and accept the fact you strongly dislike or even loathe this book, I can see why - even if I personally I like it and indeed I'd like to see more books like this...


Jess☺️ Just found your comment about gone girl I'm truly glad that I'm not the only one out there who didn't like this book one bit and I love a good thriller but was utterly disappointed with it,seems everyone you mention it to they love it(don't even get me started on the film why oh why did they even go there)
I've even tried a couple of other books by the same author and they didn't do it for me either.


Andrew Cooper J. Dawn Miller wrote: "Hated it. Probably the most hated book I've ever read. I'm so mad because I read it in anticipation of the movie. I love Ben Affleck and was really looking forward to seeing it. After reading it, (..."

J Dawn, I will say one thing about the movie (well 2 things, I HATED Rosamund Pike) but Ben Affleck did an OUTSTANDING job being Nick Dunne. The other cast was a little boring, but Affleck excelled, specifically the scene when Nick want's to "go out with the guys" right before he "hits" Amy was absolute Ben Affleck gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQebF...

If you still want to check this out, his reactions after minute 1:30 in this youtube clip are absolutely classic Ben Affleck and he also nails the mindset of Nick Dunne here.


Twinkles You are not the only person who hated this book! It started off very interesting and pretty intense, then???!!!!It was as if the author got tired and fell off. She left us hanging but not in a suspenseful way, in a I'm-tired-of-writing kind of way. Toward the end of the book I felt committed to finish but I had envisioned choking the author for wasting my time.


Danni lynn ❤ Your not 😊I didn't care too much for it & i think maybe because I built it up after hearing how great it was I was just disappointed


Joyce I hated it because, although I thought it was well-plotted, I found the the characters to be very stereotypical with regards to gender roles. I don't need more sexist stereotyping in my life.


Hannah I always feel disappointed in Gillian Flynn’s “twists.” They come so early and then there isn’t enough excitement left to push through the rest.


Kaitlyn This book had me by the balls!! i heard the hype when the movie was coming out an read it and loved it...TIll!! I got to that twist and the end and was like "why god Why?!!" the whole time. i even read sharp objects thinking maybe itll be different...BUT NO! The author is like m. night shamalan of the books ;n;


message 21: by Abby (new) - rated it 1 star

Abby Rose Kaitlyn wrote: "This book had me by the balls!! i heard the hype when the movie was coming out an read it and loved it...TIll!! I got to that twist and the end and was like "why god Why?!!" the whole time. i even ..."

I think what didn't work about the twist is that the story set up Amy one way then turned it around, not in a way that worked in narrative, but purely for shock value. Also it doesn't feel true to Amy at all. Someone with that personality type would act a whole lot smarter than she does. And would NEVER get herself into such a pickle she has to go back to the husband she set up for her murder.


Kaitlyn Lucy A. wrote: "Kaitlyn wrote: "This book had me by the balls!! i heard the hype when the movie was coming out an read it and loved it...TIll!! I got to that twist and the end and was like "why god Why?!!" the who..."

yup! I totally agree! Just made me so mad reading it. also the fact that he stays with her after all of it! pure aggravation lol


message 23: by Abby (new) - rated it 1 star

Abby Rose Kaitlyn wrote: "Lucy A. wrote: "Kaitlyn wrote: "This book had me by the balls!! i heard the hype when the movie was coming out an read it and loved it...TIll!! I got to that twist and the end and was like "why god..."

Kaitlyn, have you tried Island by Jane Rogers or The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield? Or perhaps even My Sweet Audrina By V.C. Andrews? All three of those books handle their twists a lot better than Gone Girl.


Kaitlyn Lucy A. wrote: "Kaitlyn wrote: "Lucy A. wrote: "Kaitlyn wrote: "This book had me by the balls!! i heard the hype when the movie was coming out an read it and loved it...TIll!! I got to that twist and the end and w..."
i have not! but ill definitely look them up an add them into my tbr list! thank you! :)


message 25: by Abby (new) - rated it 1 star

Abby Rose Kaitlyn wrote: "Lucy A. wrote: "Kaitlyn wrote: "Lucy A. wrote: "Kaitlyn wrote: "This book had me by the balls!! i heard the hype when the movie was coming out an read it and loved it...TIll!! I got to that twist a..."

No problem. I hope you enjoy them!


Marvin Menjívar I found it amazing, of course, different people have different tastes.


message 27: by Nikhita (last edited Jul 26, 2018 11:21PM) (new) - added it

Nikhita Dogra I found it a bit devilish!! In respect of this book for a girl to go to an extreme extent to take revenge, and still the partner wishes to stay with her is like encouraging her to do more such acts. kinda weird!! I was expecting some more from the climax, but to my dismay it was...just...!!!!


message 28: by Michele (new) - added it

Michele I am so thrilled to find this thread! I thought I was the only one who was totally turned off by this. Shallow writing about shallow, horrible characters. There's no room for those people in my real life or my reading life.


message 29: by Abby (new) - rated it 1 star

Abby Rose Michele wrote: "I am so thrilled to find this thread! I thought I was the only one who was totally turned off by this. Shallow writing about shallow, horrible characters. There's no room for those people in my rea..."

I share your opinion entirely, thus why I made this thread.


Amelia Williamson I think this book was really intriguing. In real life, people arent always your best friends or a reflection of the you that you want to be. People have faults. These characters had....many faults. It gave an insight into the mind of a terrible sociopath and the mind of your average crappy bloke. Not to say the book was perfect, but its fault definitely wasnt in the characters. This book was really thought-provoking, weighing up your morals and posing questions like did he really deserve it? As for the ending, unless Amy had got caught, it wasn't going to end any other way. She was always going to win. If Nick had killed her, she would have won. If Nick would have left her, she wouldn't have let that happen. I really really loved this book


message 31: by Abby (new) - rated it 1 star

Abby Rose Amelia wrote: "I think this book was really intriguing. In real life, people arent always your best friends or a reflection of the you that you want to be. People have faults. These characters had....many faults...."

I'm glad you were able to enjoy it, but personally the novel did not ring true to me at all, I appreciated what it was TRYING to do, basically a lot of the things you pointed out about character complexity but I don't feel the author pulled it off well AT ALL. For example, as I've cited before, no one as cunning as Amy is supposed to be would let herself so easily get into a situation where her money was stolen like she did. There are a lot of little, irksome things like that which drive me nuts about this book, also the dialogue is horrific in my opinion.


Aine Moran I actually threw this book against a wall when I finished it. Initially I felt it could have been amazing but the characters were unlikable. I stupidly thought that this would be the film that was better than the book but unfortunately that is more time that I have wasted out of my life.


message 33: by Nikhita (new) - added it

Nikhita Dogra Nikhita wrote: "I found it a bit devilish!! In respect of this book for a girl to go to an extreme extent to take revenge, and still the partner wishes to stay with her is like encouraging her to do more such acts..."


Jordan Schmidt hi! I happen to feel on the fence about this book cause the unreliable narrator thing is overrated..


message 35: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 09, 2018 01:40AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Rebecca Davis Me! I nearly stopped reading after the first section and couldn't agree with you more about the characters.

Amy's character in particular was completely unbelievable for me, not because she was so sinister and conniving, but because we're suppose to believe that she's capable of plotting out every last detail of incriminating Nick - for over a year, to include self-mutilation - THEN she does things AFTER she pulls it off, like randomly decide to:
1. not kill herself (made sense to me, she has to win, but really that didn't get planned out earlier? like when she was planning how much money she needed? or what she'd do with her life after?)
2. get involved with the people at the motel (made 0 sense at all - she can plan to fake a fear of blood and steal another woman's urine for a pregnancy test and not this?)
3. keep all her money in one place/on her at one time (who plan enough to slowly collect money from different source then just keep that much cash in one place?)
4. calling Desi (I get she needed money and thought she could control him, but did she not think about how that would go down?)
5. going back to Nick (I get that makes her in control of him and hte "hero" - but she seemed to change her mind about it after his interview and to want "New Nick", but she later says she knew it was all fake?)

Sorry to rant, but I had a hard time with the book too.


message 36: by Marakkar (new)

Marakkar Malayalam?


message 37: by Gabriel (last edited Aug 11, 2018 01:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gabriel Amelia wrote: "I think this book was really intriguing. In real life, people arent always your best friends or a reflection of the you that you want to be. People have faults. These characters had....many faults...."

well said I concur...

oh, and did I mentioned I loved it..??.. not a masterpiece, I agree, may not win the Nobel prize, but I loved it nonetheless...


message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

The book was hard for me to read. It was too slow for me.


Crystal Allen I really liked Gone Girl until I got to the end. Once the Amazing Amy came home, it was obvious Flynn didn't know where to go with the story, so it just petered out. I can't really even remember how it ended. The movie ending was better, because when Nick fearfully confided to Rhonda the detective that he was quit certain his wife had murdered her former boyfriend and he was afraid she might one day murder him, Rhonda told him flatly that she didn't care because it wasn't her jurisdiction (boo-yah!) In the book, Rhonda is sympathetic to Nick even though she knows full well he's a POS.


Eunice R. Looks like there are many of us that disliked the book. I read it when it came out because it was the latest craze, but I abandoned it and thought the movie was terrible.


message 41: by Atl (new) - rated it 1 star

Atl I read it and saw the movie but when I tried to reread it, I couldn't.


sandy I didn't particularly like it


Niharika Sharma Simply said, the end was pathetic but in the beginning it was building great expectation.

I guess the writer was in love with the amy character.


Nita Well, I, for one, did hate this book. When I finished it, I tore it up into shreds and stomped on it. I have never done that before in my life, I want all the time back that I wasted on this poorly written book, <(view spoiler)


Annette Berman Couldn't do that to my Kindle!


message 46: by Carol (new)

Carol Chan I found it unbelievable. How could 2 people be so "off" and no one noticed? IRL, there are usually a few people who are blindsided by that kind of thing,and I think we have all had a couple of people in our lives who were messed up and we completely missed it, but there are usually several people who get an "off" feeling from someone. This book puts forward the idea that some people can fool EVERY SINGLE PERSON they interact with. Not realistic or believable.


message 47: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina Hannah wrote: "I always feel disappointed in Gillian Flynn’s “twists.” They come so early and then there isn’t enough excitement left to push through the rest."

My own feelings exactly. The ‚lying diary‘ was such a neat idea, but once that is revealed, there‘s just not much else. Same with ‚Sharp Objects‘. And the characters are very stereotypically ‚evil‘ IMHO. Still, the story pacing appealed to me, so I wouldn‘t say I hated it. It‘s just not a very good book, is all.


Proudcat Wow, found this discussion and relieved, The book is certainly so weird and I do agree quite unbelievable on how everyone is so dumb and Amy is so smart. Felt so bad for most characters ....
I think the author definitely loved Amy too much or maybe it was author's purpose to instill this hatred in her readers?


message 49: by Sam (new) - added it

Sam Zgriban A lot of details in the book show that Amy isn't as smart as the author claims her to be, so it baffles me the fact that she actually gets away with it and Nick has no character growth, only that apparently he is his best self with a sociopath, which is beyond stupid. Too bad I started reading it.


message 50: by Joseph (last edited Mar 13, 2021 11:11AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joseph Guerin Never would have been better than late................You may skip this if you haven't seen "Gone Girl". Opinions are like a--holes right? This one is mine & if boiled down to two words “depraved bulls--t” would be it. This review covers both the book & the movie as well as the social media storm that was kicked up by both (& no there was little difference between the two except for how it's 2 main characters were shaded) I spotted several posts on "Gone Girl" while on YouTube w titles like "Why we all admire Amy" & "Why you root for Amy Dunne" placed alongside a post on YouTube's "Analyzing Evil" series where Amy was mentioned among such evil heavyweights like Anton Chigurh & Michael Corleone. That was quite the spread.

Intrigued, I picked up the DVD expecting a story about a put upon woman who out does an abusive husband. Part of the movie was like this, but then the movie's polarizing effect kicks in. Amy (the couple shall be hitherto be known as a-ME & Dick) reveals herself as a wacko with Munchausen's syndrome. The movie at this point still made sense; Dick was an insensitive lout & a-ME a ticking time bomb whose term of choice was "jettison". She devises a plan where she disappears & through carefully planted evidence implicates her husband.

Then the movie began to get flaky. a-ME began to retract her disappearance/murder plan (she had to, she had her cruise money was stolen). She rapidly comes up with an alternate plan where she hooks up with an ex-boyfriend (who I believe would be watching the news…) &, after wheedling escape money from him, culmulates with her slashing his throat & making it look like he was raping her. The fact that she does not call 911 but returns home all bloodied up for the press (?!) plus the fact that the FBI did not confiscate Amy's bloodied blouse but let her return home with it put the story beyond belief. This stretch veered off into "Basic Instinct" territory. A major letdown given that otherwise the movie had much to say about the dynamics of this couple from hell. The last 1/4 of the film was totally off the wall & served nothing in it's sloppiness but to further polarize the audience into Dick & a-ME camps.

Also, the fertility clinic did not bear out that she was inseminated by them, claiming that they dumped Nick's sperm. This contradiction puzzled me but however she got a hold of Nick's jizz (hypothetical dialect; "I'll take that & inseminate myself in the ladies room THANK YOU VERY MUCH" ALSO sperm has a unfrozen shelf life of 15 minutes. Hurry up a-ME. Not believable. OK (we swallow hard with the last detail....NO SPITTING PLEASE) so... she keeps up her game with Nick by telling him she was impregnated. She may have been planning to kill Nick, (S—t, anything was possible at this point) but with Desi's get away money. Some corner she painted herself into! NOT BELIEVABLE.

Finally the movie (as opposed to the book) ends on a tentative positive note; I believe that Nick was sincere when he told his sister he had a responsibility for the child. For once Nick had the moral upper hand saying this but let us not kid ourselves about Amy. In the sarcastic way she said "That's marriage" there's no doubt that she was going to continue to manipulate everything in their lives to preserve control. That unfortunately would include the kid (that is, if she was in fact pregnant) Also I love Nick's line "We are partners in crime". Barely controlled sarcasm. In the end neither changed, though Amy had no cards left to dupe anyone w/in Nick's family. She certainly had a full deck with the media.

Which brings me back to the YouTube posts put up by a-ME's cheerleaders that shows a willingness to promote this piece of cinematic poison as a rallying point. At first blush the movie seems male misogynistic, given a-ME's "hero" status. However after watching & digesting this brick of a book & mess of a movie was there ANYTHING sympathetic about her? She was a complete & wildly improbable monster. No, this movie was FEMALE misogynistic. Yet you have deluded "fans" who present her as a role model. QAnon anyone? I'll pass the ketchup....

reply | edit | delete | flag *
back to top
You are following this discussion (instant email).


« previous 1
back to top