Suspenseful Clues and Thrilling Reviews discussion

2018 Monthly Reading > May Reading Prompt: A CONTROVERSIAL BOOK ON YOUR TBR

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Humphrey (suspensethrill) May's prompt is "A Controversial Book On Your TBR" and we couldn't be more excited to see which books you all choose for this one!

Please feel free to share what book you're reading with us and come back and tell us your final thoughts/link to review after you finish!

message 2: by Mahnoor ⚯͛ (new)

Mahnoor ⚯͛ (vernalflower) | 1 comments I'll be reading All the ugly and wonderful things by Bryn Greenwood! It discusses pedophilia and the MC might be or is one Idk... but I am really looking forward to read what everybody's calling the modern day 'Lolita'.

message 4: by Malia (new)

Malia (calypso007) | 7 comments I think I will read The Road to Jonestown, which examines the Jonestown massacre in the 70s. This book really creeps me out, still I am definitely interested to know more. I wasn't born when this happened, but I've heard about it, of course, and want to have a better understanding how someone can hold such sway over so many people.

message 5: by Joanna (last edited May 07, 2018 12:36PM) (new)

Joanna Elm | 16 comments I just have one more day to wait before I can start on Our Kind of Cruelty by Araminta Hall
I just heard about it recently and see from many GR reviews that the novel's reception has been really mixed. A number of psychological thriller fans are not raving about this one because it's told only from the male (stalker) POV; and because the author has admitted she wrote the book as a message about " injustices perpetrated against women."

elena ❀ [on hiatus bc of finals] (eleiina) hmm, i think im gonna go with the color purple or the handmaiden's tale. the handmaiden's tale has been banned here and there and there's been a lot of controversy surrounding it, so i'll have to see for myself. its also our summer reading book from school (surprisingly) so it works out! the color purple, though, interests me because its actually been challenged as a "controversial book" due to rape, incest, and homosexuality in the book.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin Im reading Goddess The Secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe by Anthony Summers its was one of the first books say that Marilyn had affairs with The Kennedy's.

message 8: by Zuky (last edited May 08, 2018 12:55AM) (new)

Zuky the BookBum (zukythebookbum) | 3 comments I’ve literally just finished The Roanoke Girls. The book handles a very controversial topic so it’s the perfect fit for this month.

I’m giving it a 3 star review. I found it totally underwhelming. I haven’t collected all my thoughts on it yet, but bleh. Disappointing! I'll be back with a link to my full review later!

message 9: by Mike (last edited May 08, 2018 12:55AM) (new)

Mike Smith (mikesmith_91) | 2 comments So scrap my earlier comment.. I've had another look through my TBR list and have settled on Timur Vermes' Look Who's Back.

The Goodreads reviews have clearly divided opinion on this one so we shall see.

I am however sticking to my recommendation of Tampa by Alissa Nutting if anyone is stuck on a controversial read.

message 10: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 16 comments Mike wrote: "So scrap my earlier comment.. I've had another look through my TBR list and have settled on Timur Vermes' Look Who's Back.

The Goodreads reviews have clearlt divi..."

Tampa. Yes! *shudder*

message 11: by Zuky (new)

Zuky the BookBum (zukythebookbum) | 3 comments Mike wrote: "So scrap my earlier comment.. I've had another look through my TBR list and have settled on Timur Vermes' Look Who's Back.

The Goodreads reviews have clearlt divi..."

Enjoy Look Who's Back - I'm still not really sure how I felt about that one, and I read it a couple of years ago now!

I've also read Tampa - a long time ago now so I can't remember all my feelings about it but it was quite good, very squirmy uncomfortable!

message 12: by Maryam (new)

Maryam (ardvisoor) I've decided to read To Kill a Mockingbird. It's been on TBR list for a long time now.

message 13: by James (last edited May 08, 2018 06:15AM) (new)

James  Love (jim_love) I just finished Pet Sematary, May 5th. It's been on my TBR forever. And I have just started The Blooding by Joseph Wambaugh.

message 14: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Humphrey (suspensethrill) James wrote: "I just finished Pet Sematary, May 5th. It's been on my TBR forever. And I have just started The Blooding by Joseph Wambaugh."

I’m planning on reading Pet Sematary as well!

message 15: by donna (new)

donna backshall (dtamayob) I just today finished reading The War of the Worlds, which is a fairly obvious commentary on British imperialism in the mid-late 1800s. It was in anticipation of reading a sequel, The Day of the Martians: The Martian Diaries Vol 1, written in tribute to H. G. Wells's groundbreaking novel. I'm so glad I found the excuse to revisit it. It was eye-opening in ways I could not have noticed as a teenager.

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (bubbles492) | 4 comments I'll be reading The Summer Children by Dot Hutchinson.

message 17: by Erin (new)

Erin (coffeebookserin) | 5 comments May has turned out to be "beta reading month" for me, so I'm not sure how many published books I'll get to, but before my friends sent me their manuscripts this weekend I did just finish the two most recents books in Cherise Sinclair's Masters of the Shadowlands series. The series is set in a BDSM club, and the last book's protagonists are in a polyamorous D/s relationship, which I'm sure many people would consider controversial! (It was really good, I highly recommend the series if you're into BDSM erotica.)

message 18: by Dana (new)

Dana | 2 comments I personally haven't heard of a lot of controversy about it, but I am currently reading Origin by Dan Brown. I could imagine there may be some controversy around the subject matter!

message 19: by JoJo (new)

JoJo (jojo2013) | 2 comments I'm going to read Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed by Patricia Cornwell.

message 20: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 12 comments I am thinking about A Land of Permanent Goodbyes. It is novel based on Syrian Refugees.

message 21: by Thelma (new)

Thelma Fountain | 136 comments Rebecca wrote: "I am thinking about A Land of Permanent Goodbyes. It is novel based on Syrian Refugees."

I just read a book about the syrian refugee crisis called " A dangerous crossing. It was a novel but well researched and very eye opening. I will have to check out the book you are reading.

message 22: by Thelma (last edited May 09, 2018 02:56PM) (new)

Thelma Fountain | 136 comments I am going to read the Pulitzer prize winning book " Enrique's Journey" This book puts a human face on the immigration debate. I have been planning to read it for a long time. This is my perfect opportunity! I taught an esl class in Chattanooga for a few years, through that experience I got to know many immigrant families and a few refugee women who were relocated here from Iraq. The immigration issue is close to my heart. I hope our country can find a compassionate solution to the problem but I have little faith that will happen. I am a descendant of Chief John Ross. His whole trail of tears experience causes me to doubt that a compassionate solution will win out.

message 23: by Scott (new)

Scott Turnbull Hi, new to the group.

I will be reading The Girl in the Spider's web, David Lagercrantz controversial addition to Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy.

I really enjoyed the original Larsson books, and put off reading the 4th novel as I just didn't see how it could live up to expectation. I've read mixed reviews and Lagercrantz was a very controversial choice to take over the series. I hope it's good ..

message 24: by Thelma (new)

Thelma Fountain | 136 comments Scott wrote: "Hi, new to the group.

I will be reading The Girl in the Spider's web, David Lagercrantz controversial addition to Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy.

I really enjoyed the original Larsson books, a..."

Hi scott, Welcome to our group. I know what you mean about worrying that it would not live up to the original Larsson books! I felt the same way. I read it and liked it but I still like the first 3 best. I felt that it was a good book but just not the same. I will still probably read the newest one.

message 25: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 16 comments Initially I was thinking of something scandalous, but now I'm thinking about immigrants. I have plenty to choose from of both. I'll see what "speaks" to me.

message 26: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 16 comments Erin wrote: "May has turned out to be "beta reading month" for me, so I'm not sure how many published books I'll get to, but before my friends sent me their manuscripts this weekend I did just finish the two mo..."

So, I checked out this series and 1,2 are free on kindle. Free, my second favorite four letter f word.

message 27: by Leah (new)

Leah I think this month I’ll try and read Between Two Worlds by Zainab Salbi, whose father was chosen to be Saddam Hussein’s personal pilot. Sounds like the story is a memoir of her experiences during that time. After last month’s challenge it’s now the oldest book on my TBR list and sure to cover some controversial topics.

message 28: by Frank (new)

Frank McAdam | 1 comments I don't know if I'll actually be getting to it by summer's end, but I guess the most controversial book on my TBR list is The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History. It's scary what's happening.

message 29: by Thelma (new)

Thelma Fountain | 136 comments Leah wrote: "I think this month I’ll try and read Between Two Worlds by Zainab Salbi, whose father was chosen to be Saddam Hussein’s personal pilot. Sounds like the story is a memoir of her experiences during t..."

This does sound like an interesting read. I will have to check it out also.

message 30: by Thelma (new)

Thelma Fountain | 136 comments Stacey wrote: "Initially I was thinking of something scandalous, but now I'm thinking about immigrants. I have plenty to choose from of both. I'll see what "speaks" to me."

Another immigrant book on my tbr list is The Iquana Tree. The reviews for that one sound really good as well.

message 31: by Ray (new)

Ray Palen (rpalen) | 6 comments My review slate has been quite full but I hope to read the controversial novel THE HUNGER - Alma Katsu about the infamous Donner Party.

message 32: by Mike (new)

Mike Smith (mikesmith_91) | 2 comments My May read was Look Who's Back and sadly it was a DNF!

Review is here - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 33: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 4 comments I chose All The Ugly And Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood. I'm intrigued by all the great reviews of this book given the subject matter. Looking forward to being part of the group!

message 34: by debra (new)

debra | 6 comments Sharon wrote: "I chose All The Ugly And Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood. I'm intrigued by all the great reviews of this book given the subject matter. Looking forward to being part of the group!"

This one is controversial. I really liked it, but a lot of people didn't.

message 35: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Huh. Don't remember seeing this discussed before. Will have to look.

message 37: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Have decided on Lolita

message 38: by Scott (new)

Scott Turnbull I read The Girl in the Spiders Web. It was ok.

Review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 39: by JoJo (last edited May 23, 2018 05:24AM) (new)

message 40: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Hi everyone! 👋

I just finished reading “The One” by John Marrs, and I LOVED it! Definitely a 5 star read for me!

The One explores the concept of being able to find your perfect match through a DNA swab. It follows different couples who have used the dating service and explores their experiences with it. Many characters in the story found the dating service to be highly controversial, and I can see how it would be! This book definitely makes you think, and it’s crazy to think something like this seems plausible to happen in the not so distant future!

If you’re wondering what to read next, I’d highly recommend this book!!

message 41: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Chinnici (nicole-chinnici) | 6 comments I read Jim and Casper Go to Church: Frank Conversation about Faith, Churches, and Well-Meaning Christians. The concept sounded super interesting but in the end the book was too "watered down" and kind of missed the mark.

message 42: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Chinnici (nicole-chinnici) | 6 comments Melanie wrote: "Hi everyone! 👋

I just finished reading “The One” by John Marrs, and I LOVED it! Definitely a 5 star read for me!

The One explores the concept of being able to find your perfect match through a ..."

This sounds so interesting, Melanie! *adds it to the ever-growing wishlist*

message 43: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea Humphrey (suspensethrill) A little late to the party, but I read Pet Sematary by Stephen King as my controversial choice. Here's the link to my review!

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 44: by Thelma (new)

Thelma Fountain | 136 comments My book for May was Enrique's Journey. I was so impressed with the author sonia Nazario! she is a journalist and very committed to her story. I could not believe some of the risks she took to bring this story to print. This is an important piece of work. I am glad that it received a Pulitzer ( well deserved ) This story was so heartbreaking and also very eye opening. I wish every American would take the time to read it. Wherever you stand on the immigration issues it is only fair to educate yourself on both sides of any issue. All of our politicians claim their views are right and most of them tell outright lies to sway voters to agree with them. The only way to make a good decision on an issue is to investigate the issues yourself instead of listening to them. Books like this one educate the public. I know this is a very real problem and their are legitimate concerns on both sides of the issue. I just don't want the average American's knowledge to be one sided on this issue or any issue for that matter. I highly recommend this book.

message 45: by L Y N N (new)

L Y N N (book_music_lvr) | 22 comments @Thelma That looks like an excellent read. I have added it to my TBR listing!

ReadAlongWithSue [Catching-Up] (readalongwithsue) Melanie wrote: "Hi everyone! 👋

The One explores the concept of being able to find your perfect match through a ..."

I loved that book!