SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Recommendations and Lost Books > Searching for a series about....

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike (theaemix) | 4 comments I recently remembered a book series that I have lost. It involved a space wandering magus that has a ship and ai accompanying him as he lands on random planets under his families dominion and 'fixes' problems. He is an errant son in his family, and if I remember the first book correctly, he gets his head bashed by bandits at the start and loses his memory for a good portion of the start of the book. Any help would be appreciated. It's an older series, likely late 90s of early 00s.

Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Trike (new)

Trike Kinda sounds like one of the Mageworlds books, but only kinda. The Long Hunt, maybe?

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike (theaemix) | 4 comments Trike, thanks for the attempt, but it's not that series. A few other details that I'm not quite as confident about are the name of the mage. Something along the lines of magnus d'arand. I'm almost sure of the d' in the last name.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy Bailey | 2 comments We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (Bobiverse) !? I haven't actually read the series yet but you described it perfectly. I actually have the audio book and the sample seems fun. I can hardly wait to start them.

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike (theaemix) | 4 comments Amy, while yes, there is a sentient spaceship, we are Bob doesn't happen to have magic or a mage. It's also amazing! You should totally read it.

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike Mike wrote: "Trike, thanks for the attempt, but it's not that series. A few other details that I'm not quite as confident about are the name of the mage. Something along the lines of magnus d'arand. I'm almost ..."

Yeah, I didn’t think that was the right one, but it’s in the ballpark. Nowadays “space mages” are a dime a dozen, but 30 years ago it was a different story.

The only other ones from that era I can recall are the D&D Spelljammer books (Into the Void) and the Exordium series (The Phoenix in Flight). Mayyybe the second one, but it’s not any closer to your description than the Mageworlds ones.

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike (theaemix) | 4 comments Trike. That's the thing, from what I remember he isn't really a space mage, he just has a ship to wander about, most of the book is set in medieval level tech planets