Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense discussion

You and Your Books > Favourite First

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex Tardif (atardif) Hi All

I've been re-reading the first novels of some of my favourite authors, and as I'm always on the hunt I wanted to throw this question out to the collective.

What is your favourite first novel (in a series) and why?

For me I can't decide between Elizabeth George's A Great Deliverance in the Lynley series, or Mankell's Faceless Killers in the Wallander series.

George's novel is a beautifully intricate plot, without seeming convoluted, and is rife with conflict (and who doesn't love that?) and all encased within a small village, which naturally heightens the tension.

Mankell on the other hand revolves his book around racial tensions against refugees/immigrants in Sweden, which were incredibly relevant at the time (and probably still are), and explores the differing, and sometimes violent, arguments of both sides.

Look forward to getting some more great books on my reading list.

Alex

message 2: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

Brenda | 9467 comments Mod
In no particular order: (Can't possibly pick only one;))

Naked in Death by J.D. Robb

Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo

Body Count by P.D. Martin

There are others but these are stand out authors for me.

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex Tardif (atardif) Hi Brenda

Awesome, I haven't read any of them but will put them on the wishlist.

message 4: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

I just finished Linda Castillo's new release yesterday, The Dead Will Tell #6 in the series. It's a really enjoyable series:)

J.D. Robb has 41 books in this current series!

I hope you can get to read some of them anyway, and enjoy:)

message 5: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 I lean to the lighter side of mysteries - with the occasional exception cos I'm a girl and can be contrary if I want too :)

I have so many favourites.

I love the Phryne Fisher series by Kerry Greenwood which starts with Cocaine Blues. I am also a J.D. Robb fan and slowly working my way through that one. I don't mind reading out of order so that is not an issue for me. Janet Evanovich is another must buy for me, her series starts with One for the Money. Then there is Mark Billingham's Tom Thorne series, Stephen Booth's Ben Cooper series to show I can read 'grown-up' books.

Cannot recommend highly enough Katherine Howell's series that starts with Frantic. One of the best thrillers I have read for ages. Also if you like your thrillers with a touch of ESP then you can't go last P.D. Martin's Sophie Anderson series.

So many other favourites - mostly in the light paranormal mystery vein :)

message 6: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

There's some good ones there that you've listed Sally. There's only a couple I haven't read, and so I agree with you completely on the others:)

message 7: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rodden (bronwynrodden) | 22 comments These lists are a great idea. I always find something new. Thanks.

message 8: by Warren (new)

Warren Olson (warrenolson) Without doubt of the Australian based books, Peter Temples 'Jack Irish' series I think one of the best ever. Sadly it doesn't seem to be a series that's been added to lately. Gary Disher's Hal Challis series would be my next ; while in the light/humour mode, the late Robert Barretts Les Norton is a classic !

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary | 31 comments Sally906 wrote: "I lean to the lighter side of mysteries - with the occasional exception cos I'm a girl and can be contrary if I want too :)

I have so many favourites.

I love the Phryne Fisher series by [author:..."

Hey Sally, sounds like you are a reader after my own tastes. I too love Kerry Greenwood's books (they are all on my shelves) and also love a bit of paranormal in my mysteries - happy to have some recommendations.

message 10: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 Mary wrote: "Hey Sally, sounds like you are a reader after my own tastes. I too love Kerry Greenwood's books (they are all on my shelves) and also love a bit of paranormal in my mysteries - happy to have some recommendations...."

I do have a few I enjoyed - I love paranormal too - here are a few 'First in a series":
The Trouble With Magic by Madelyn Alt
Night of the Living Deed by E.J. Copperman
Good Tidings by Terri Reid (this is actually the second in the series - I haven't read the first yet, but have read the 3rd)
And the Ghost Hunter Series by Victoria Laurie which has just had it's 10th and last book published!! The first one is: What's a Ghoul to Do?

And a couple on my TBR pile I haven't read yet:
Spell Booked by Joyce Lavene
Dead Wrong by Leighann Dobbs

Feel free to go and browse my Cosy Mystery shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 11: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new)

That's a great list Sally:) Have you read any of the series that's our monthly read this month? C.A. Larmer's Ghostwriter series, with book one being Killer Twist This month's is book 2:)

I can also recommend the first and the fourth - I thoroughly enjoyed them!

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary | 31 comments Thanks Sally. I'll try and track some of therm down. I've read a few of the Victoria Laurie ones, and enjoyed them too.