YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare - Reading from 'City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5)' from July 7th 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 9 comments Buddy read with Hannah and Halima which is starting the series with the first book - 'City of Bones' on May 6th 2018.

message 2: by Halima (new)

Halima (hallie27) | 7 comments So far I have read the first three chapters. So far I think that there's quite a lack of action or something to pull you in. But I do really like the depth of description and how it's written from Clary's perspective and what she can "see."

message 3: by Halima (new)

Halima (hallie27) | 7 comments I have finished this book and I was wondering about your perspective?

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 9 comments Halima wrote: "I have finished this book and I was wondering about your perspective?"

Sorry will be writing what I think by tomorrow, just had the last piece of coursework presentation due on tuesday just gone and been sorting out stuff for placement. How did you find it?

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 9 comments City of Bones

I like the way that it's hinted at with Clary's potential of being a shadowhunter when they are in the club, but yeah I agree there isn't much if any action but still somehow manages to grab the reader's attention
Meeting the Ravener in chapter 4 and Clary being knocked out for three days. The detail of the Ravener made it sound terrifying and something that you definitely do not want to meet anywhere.
Personally I found the description of Jerminah (one of the Silent Brothers) to be creepy and somehow something in me felt like he was someone who shouldn't be trusted. I'm not sure if it is coincidence or not that Clary's mother earlier on in the books says 'I am the bane of her existence' and that the person who blocked her memories is called Magnus Bane?!?.
Loved the part where Simon is changed into a rat and stolen by the vampires. The part where Clary and Jace ride on the magical vampire motorcycle reminded me a lot of the flying car that Harry and Ron use in Harry Potter.
The twist ending with Hodge came as a bit of a shock as I thought that throughout the book he had been cleverly portrayed as someone who cared about all of them especially when he was angry at Clary and Jace for going to the vampire lair. I enjoyed the ending as a lot happened especially with Clary and Jace and it did make me want to pick up the second book.

Overall loved this book and the amount of detail it contains so therefore have rated it 5 stars. Hope 'City of Ashes' is just as good as this one was.

message 6: by Halima (new)

Halima (hallie27) | 7 comments I agree, COB was very good! There were a lot of plot twists and i love how Clare made each event lead to the next! It was very climatic and funny, one of the better YA's for sure.

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 9 comments How are you finding City of Ashes?

message 8: by Ashy Khaira (new)

Ashy Khaira (asreenkhaira) | 1558 comments City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare

Chapter 1-6 (view spoiler)

message 9: by Ashy Khaira (new)

Ashy Khaira (asreenkhaira) | 1558 comments Chapter 7-12 (view spoiler)

message 10: by Ashy Khaira (new)

Ashy Khaira (asreenkhaira) | 1558 comments Chapter 13-18 (view spoiler)

message 11: by Ashy Khaira (new)

Ashy Khaira (asreenkhaira) | 1558 comments Finished (view spoiler)

message 12: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments ********************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 2nd of January 2019

********************************************************************************************************************************************

message 13: by Shae (new)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare 7% (view spoiler)

message 14: by Shae (new)

Shae Petersen | 5267 comments City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare
30% (view spoiler)

message 15: by Kimber (new)

Kimber Li (kimberliauthor) Planning to start reading City of Bones as soon as my copy gets here. It's one I missed out on when it first came out.

message 16: by Susan (last edited Mar 08, 2019 01:31AM) (new)

Susan (jazzescrapper) | 2376 comments This was set up as a buddy read for March and I decided to jump on and read too.

Chapters 1 - 8

This is a re-read for me but I honestly don't remember one thing about this book except Simon's character. I remember the names of some of the other characters but not much more. I was just starting to read fantasy so maybe that's why. I was a fantasy newbie :)

I have to say I was told this wasn't very good and that it didn't start getting to be very good until book 4 but I have truly been enjoying this book and the funny little sarcastic comments. Even Dorothea has some funny little one liners that are cracking me up.

This is a book I hope whoever reads it with me wants to talk about it. I want to read the spoilers and get your opinions and hash out stuff. I think this type of book would be so fun to do that with

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Lex (new)

Lex (greenbeanreads) About to start reading City of Bones tomorrow for the Labyrinth challenge! Super excited about rereading it! I really love this book.

message 18: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 85693 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting April 13th 2019. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 19: by Aneta (new)

Aneta | 1002 comments I picked up my copy yesterday so I'm going to start reading City of Bones today.

message 20: by Aneta (last edited Apr 15, 2019 07:54AM) (new)

Aneta | 1002 comments Finished chapter 9, part one
So I knew some things from movie and first episode of TV show so I kind of knew what is going on. BUT I totaly forgot most of it :D
I heard the first book isn't that great but I'm enjoying it more than I expected. I like these characters so far and world is interesting. I can't wait to read more.

message 21: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Aneta wrote: "I picked up my copy yesterday so I'm going to start reading City of Bones today."

Crap. I didn't turn on notifications for this so I didn't realize that you'd started! I'll start later this afternoon and catch up.

message 22: by Aneta (new)

Aneta | 1002 comments Dee Dee wrote: " Crap. I didn't turn on notifications for this so I didn't realize that you'd started! I'll start lat..."

It's okay! I'm actually glad I had a head start because I'm slow reader and most of my reading is done on the weekend :D

message 23: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments OK good. At least I'm not slacking. Haha. I've watched the TV show and the movie so I'm already familiar with the general idea and the characters (and already have my favourites) so I'm enjoying it more than I expected.

message 24: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Ch 6 - I forgot how much of a d*ck Alec is in the beginning 😅

message 25: by Aneta (new)

Aneta | 1002 comments Dee Dee wrote: "Ch 6 - I forgot how much of a d*ck Alec is in the beginning 😅"

True :D and it seem it doesn't get much better at least in this book :D

message 26: by Aneta (new)

Aneta | 1002 comments Finished chapter 20
(view spoiler)

message 27: by Dee Dee (last edited Apr 15, 2019 12:01PM) (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Just finished chapter 11 and I'm so ready (view spoiler)

message 28: by Aneta (new)

Aneta | 1002 comments Dee Dee wrote: "Just finished chapter 12 and I'm so ready [spoilers removed]"

I know how you feel! I was looking forward for him as well and it was amazing.

message 29: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Aneta wrote: "Dee Dee wrote: "Just finished chapter 12 and I'm so ready [spoilers removed]"

I know how you feel! I was looking forward for him as well and it was amazing."

Woo! I am so ready!

message 30: by Aneta (new)

Aneta | 1002 comments I finished City of Bones! I usually read a book with 500 pages at least a week or two and City of Bones took me three days!

message 31: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Aneta wrote: "I finished City of Bones! I usually read a book with 500 pages at least a week or two and City of Bones took me three days!"

Oh wow! I've been trying to stretch it out, but now I'll go ahead and finish it today then.

message 32: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments I just finished. This was a fun read. Now I'm just itching to get to the next book to see if (view spoiler)

message 33: by Aneta (new)

Aneta | 1002 comments I can get second book anytime so we could start reading sooner if you want :)

message 34: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Aneta wrote: "I can get second book anytime so we could start reading sooner if you want :)"

Well I'm ready whenever you are ^_^

message 35: by Aneta (new)

Aneta | 1002 comments Dee Dee wrote: "Aneta wrote: "I can get second book anytime so we could start reading sooner if you want :)"

Well I'm ready whenever you are ^_^"

Okay, I will let you know when I pick up City of Ashes in bookstore :)

message 36: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Aneta wrote: "Dee Dee wrote: "Aneta wrote: "I can get second book anytime so we could start reading sooner if you want :)"

Okay, I will let you know when I pick up City of ..."

Awesome

message 37: by Lex (new)

Lex (greenbeanreads) Hey guys!

About to join this buddy read group for the team challenge on May 1st so hopefully I can catch up with you all then!

message 38: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Alex wrote: "Hey guys!

About to join this buddy read group for the team challenge on May 1st so hopefully I can catch up with you all then!"

Welcome!

message 39: by Aneta (new)

Aneta | 1002 comments Dee Dee wrote: "Aneta wrote: "Dee Dee wrote: "Aneta wrote: "I can get second book anytime so we could start reading sooner if you want :)"

Okay, I will let you know when I pi..."

I just pick up book two in bookstore :)

message 40: by Aneta (new)

Aneta | 1002 comments Alex wrote: "Hey guys!

About to join this buddy read group for the team challenge on May 1st so hopefully I can catch up with you all then!"

Hi :) Are you starting with book one? :)

message 41: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Aneta wrote: "Dee Dee wrote: "Aneta wrote: "Dee Dee wrote: "Aneta wrote: "I can get second book anytime so we could start reading sooner if you want :)"

Okay, I will let yo..."

Cool. We can start tomorrow if you like.

message 42: by Aneta (new)

Aneta | 1002 comments Dee Dee wrote: "Cool. We can start tomorrow if you like.
"

I can start on weekend but you can go ahead and start today if you want :) I will catch up eventually.

message 43: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Aneta wrote: "Dee Dee wrote: "Cool. We can start tomorrow if you like.
"

I can start on weekend but you can go ahead and start today if you want :) I will catch up eventually."

I'm back out to work so I won't be able to read as quickly this time around.

message 44: by Dee Dee (last edited Apr 27, 2019 02:30PM) (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare 16% - Ugh, Simon...(view spoiler)

message 45: by Katie (new)

Katie | 3240 comments Thanks for the thread link! I just want to make sure I understand correctly...This will be a buddy reads for the series, even though the cover picture up top is for the first book? I just don't want to spoil anything for the wrong book, but I'm planning on starting book 2 on May 1st. Can I post along in this thread? Thanks in advance!

message 46: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Katie wrote: "Thanks for the thread link! I just want to make sure I understand correctly...This will be a buddy reads for the series, even though the cover picture up top is for the first book? I just don't wan..."

This is the right place! Welcome!!!

message 47: by Dee Dee (last edited Apr 28, 2019 10:16AM) (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare 40% - Jace, wyd babe? (view spoiler)

message 48: by Dee Dee (last edited Apr 28, 2019 10:18AM) (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare 53% Alec, you idiot lolol (view spoiler) and Magnus' reaction. Lol

message 49: by Dee Dee (last edited Apr 28, 2019 01:08PM) (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare 63% - OMG it's happening!!! (view spoiler)

message 50: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) | 1362 comments Finished - Thank God the toxic masculinity didn't stop (view spoiler) Oh Malec...<3

I don't know if I could (view spoiler)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.