CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2014 Weekly Threads > Week 30: What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Here's what I'm reading this week:
The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) by Robert Galbraith Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues (White Trash Zombie, #2) by Diana Rowland The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3) by Jeff Grubb

What are you reading?

message 2: by Rekesha (new)

Rekesha | 45 comments Mod
This week I'm reading:
Murder on the Half Shelf (A Booktown Mystery, #6) by Lorna Barrett The Yard (The Murder Squad #1) by Alex Grecian

message 3: by Liz (last edited Jul 29, 2014 08:30AM) (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) I was never able to get into murder/crime books until I read The Cuckoo's Calling. I just finished the sequel The Silkworm and am realizing maybe I just never gave the genre enough of a chance.
The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1) by Robert Galbraith The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) by Robert Galbraith

Anyone have any suggestions for other good crime/murder novels?

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (librariansmiles) | 5 comments I'm reading a YA mystery, a book about social media (which will take me a while because I tend to go for the "fun" stuff first, and listening to a novel during my commute.
The Body in the Woods (Point Last Seen, #1) by April Henry
Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World by Gary Vaynerchuk
The Shortest Way Home by Juliette Fay

message 5: by Ann (last edited Jul 29, 2014 10:20AM) (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 464 comments This week I'm reading (the last I'm 3/4 of the way through):
Murder on Astor Place (Gaslight Mystery, #1) by Victoria Thompson Murder on St. Mark's Place (Gaslight Mystery, #2) by Victoria Thompson Murder on Gramercy Park (Gaslight Mystery, #3) by Victoria Thompson Murder on Washington Square (Gaslight Mystery, #4) by Victoria Thompson
I'm still listening to this (what can I say, my commute isn't that long):
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan

message 6: by Pattie (new)

Pattie Babbitt Still working my way slowly through Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander, #8) by Diana Gabaldon . Just finished the audiobook version of The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman at Liz's recommendation (I think).

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie | 130 comments I just listened to "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom" by Cory Doctorow over the weekend. It was interesting, and I think I liked it, but it was very different from what I was expecting (knowing nothing at all about it going in except for the title).

I started listening to Fudge Cupcake Murder yesterday and am about halfway through.

I am close to being done with Sahara, but haven't had the time to just sit down and finish it yet!

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 464 comments Liz wrote: "Anyone have any suggestions for other good crime/murder novels?"

Steve Berry is good, Greg Iles, J.D. Robb, The Women's Murder Club by Patterson.
If you want to try historical: Tasha Alexander, Anne Perry, Victoria Thompson, Jacqueline Winspear, Laurie R. King.
I reread the first two Miss Marple books by Agatha Christie, and I've also been rereading Sherlock Holmes by Doyle, and I love the Lord Peter mysteries by Dorothy L. Sayers.

message 9: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Thanks for the recs, Ann!

Pattie wrote: "Just finished the audiobook version of The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman at Liz's recommendation (I th..."

What did you think of it, Pattie? I loved that series!

message 10: by Pattie (new)

Pattie Babbitt Liz wrote: "Thanks for the recs, Ann!

Pattie wrote: "Just finished the audiobook version of The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1) by Philip Pullman at Liz's recommendation (I th..."

What did you think of it, Pattie? I loved t..."

So far I really liked it, but I am taking a break before book 2 and 3 to read Mary Poppins. :) I really enjoyed hearing the author narrate. The cast on the audiobook was just fantastic.

message 11: by Angela (new)

Angela Malerman (angelamal) | 41 comments This week I am listening to a couple of books instead of reading, Inkheart / Inkspell / Inkdeath. My son picked them out so we are listening to them together. I think she is a fantastic writer. Not sure what I am going to read for the weekend, on my way to the book shelves now.

message 12: by Rekesha (new)

Rekesha | 45 comments Mod
Ann wrote: "This week I'm reading (the last I'm 3/4 of the way through):
Murder on Gramercy Park (Gaslight Mystery, #3) by Victoria Thompson

I just picked up Murder on Gramercy Park and I have abandoned my other two books for now. I am really enjoying the Gaslight Mystery series. Thanks for recommending this series, Ann!

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 464 comments Rekesha wrote: "Ann wrote: "This week I'm reading (the last I'm 3/4 of the way through):
Murder on Gramercy Park (Gaslight Mystery, #3) by Victoria Thompson

I just picked up Murder on Gramercy Park and I have abandoned my other two books..."

Anytime. I love this series. I'd picked Murder on Lenox Hill for this month's book club book, but had to reread the entire series from the beginning. I've just started Murder in Little Italy, and am loving it.

message 14: by Jodie (last edited Aug 04, 2014 08:13AM) (new)

Jodie Reha I am finishing up these two books. I want to get them off my nightstand!! :)

The Bishop’s Wife
BETWEEN A MOTHER AND HER CHILD

message 15: by Jodie (new)

Jodie Reha By the way, how do you get the book cover icons to show? I was unsuccessful!

message 16: by Liz (new)

Liz (liz_the_librarian) Jodie wrote: "By the way, how do you get the book cover icons to show? I was unsuccessful!"

Hey Jodie, to add book covers, click the add book/author link right above the text box. When a new box pops up, you'll have to click the radio button next to cover in order for it to search for and then display a cover. I hope that helps!

message 17: by Jodie (new)

Jodie Reha Liz wrote: "Jodie wrote: "By the way, how do you get the book cover icons to show? I was unsuccessful!"

Hey Jodie, to add book covers, click the add book/author link right above the text box. When a new box p..."

Thanks, Liz! I missed the "Cover" radio button.