Red Rising Read-A-Long 18 discussion

Red Rising (Red Rising Saga, #1)
This topic is about Red Rising
Red Rising > For Part II (Chapters 7-19)

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lauren (The Novel Lush) (thenovellush) Discussion for Part II, aka Chapters 7-19

message 2: by Nana (last edited May 05, 2018 07:58AM) (new)

Nana Spark (thenoveltynotebook) I'm on chapter 8 and I'm finding it really hard to stay calm about this but why is everyone letting Darrow grab and manhandle Harmony like a sack of potatoes? And why is Darrow questioning why Dancer and the gang couldn't save Eo. He pulled so hard on her feet that it snapped her neck or does he not remember that? And why is he being a hypocritical emo asshole saying: "Scars don't matter... What I do doesn't matter...Nothing matters..." when it sure did matter a second ago when he was squeezing the life out of Harmony's hand for answers.

Someone help me out, talk to me here, I'm just a salty girl with so many questions.

Jazmynn | 14 comments Is it strange that I am up to chapter 18 and I still don't really feel an emotional connection to the main character. I mean I kind of like Matteo and Mickey but even then not really. Is anybody else finding it hard to connect to these characters?

message 4: by Ibrahim (new) - added it

Ibrahim Amin | 13 comments Jazmynn wrote: "Is it strange that I am up to chapter 18 and I still don't really feel an emotional connection to the main character. I mean I kind of like Matteo and Mickey but even then not really. Is anybody el..."

Yeah, same here. The situations themselves are interesting enough to keep me engaged, but if someone else killed Darrow and stepped into the first-person narrator role, I'd have no problem with that.

For me this gets compounded because of the whole enhancement process we see in this section. I've never been fan of protagonists I dislike getting a bunch of powers handed to them on a plate (okay, I know he endures physical pain for the procedures, but even so). At least not if the author expects us to sympathise with them and root for them.

Yeah, he does have the tragic origin story of Eo's murder, which often does the trick in superhero comics or fantasy novels. When a protagonist's new powers / abilities get connected to something terrible, and a desire for revenge or justice, it's easy enough to be on their side as they start walking around all powered up. But as per the other thread, Eo's role was too cynical and one-dimensional for that. Hence we're just left with an annoying teenage protagonist being given a bunch of physical and mental superpowers (essentially), which makes me sympathise with him even less.

However, I'm in my late 30s, so this might just mean I'm old and bitter and want young people to get off my lawn. Not sure how my teenage self would've responded to Darrow.

message 5: by Nana (new)

Nana Spark (thenoveltynotebook) Ibrahim wrote: "Jazmynn wrote: "Is it strange that I am up to chapter 18 and I still don't really feel an emotional connection to the main character. I mean I kind of like Matteo and Mickey but even then not reall..."

You would have responded the same way, I think.

Well guys, I'm at chapter 19 and I'm not having fun. I hope the rest of the read-along is enjoyable for the rest of you. I'm out. ✌

Jazmynn | 14 comments I will continue with the story because while I'm not invested in the characters, I do find that the plot moves rather quickly and I do like that. I've also seen other reviewers say that the story gets better with each book so I will atleast read through the whole trilogy portion of this saga. I figure if I'm not really hooked by the end of morning star then books 4 & 5 may not be for me. For now though I'm still along for the ride. See all who continue in the part 3 thread.

Lauren (The Novel Lush) (thenovellush) I'm sorry you guys aren't liking it much. I will say that this is a series I really like where the main character gets on my last nerve. Darrow constantly drives me crazy but it's the plot and the twists that I enjoy, especially after his transition

Liene (lienes_library) haha I feel like I've never heard someone say that Darrow is their favorite - most readers are in it for Sevro.... but I don't think I could handle a story told from inside Sevro's mind....

Jazmynn | 14 comments Liene wrote: "haha I feel like I've never heard someone say that Darrow is their favorite - most readers are in it for Sevro.... but I don't think I could handle a story told from inside Sevro's mind...."

Right now I like Roque. He seems to be the voice of reason.

message 10: by Ibrahim (new) - added it

Ibrahim Amin | 13 comments Liene wrote: "haha I feel like I've never heard someone say that Darrow is their favorite - most readers are in it for Sevro.... but I don't think I could handle a story told from inside Sevro's mind...."

A Sevro narration might read kind of like Rorschach's journal from Watchmen.

Jazmynn | 14 comments Ibrahim wrote: "Liene wrote: "haha I feel like I've never heard someone say that Darrow is their favorite - most readers are in it for Sevro.... but I don't think I could handle a story told from inside Sevro's mi..."

I think that is a very accurate assessment. Now I'm gonna ear him speak on that voice for the rest of the series lol.

Lauren (The Novel Lush) (thenovellush) Ibrahim wrote: A Sevro narration might read kind of like Rorschach's journal from Watchmen.

Ooooooh, I think you hit the nail on the head with that one!!

Liene (lienes_library) Ibrahim wrote: "Liene wrote: "haha I feel like I've never heard someone say that Darrow is their favorite - most readers are in it for Sevro.... but I don't think I could handle a story told from inside Sevro's mi..."

interesting to note, Sevro is based on a real life person from Pierce's home town - which is kind of terrifying to think about.....a real life Sevro =/

Tabetha (tabzonbooks) | 1 comments it took around 80 pages to get into it but once Darrow started going through his changes I was hooked. I'm actually really liking Darrow, and I'm excited to get more Sevro since I've heard so much about him.

Kayla (onthefritz) (_onthefritz) | 6 comments Chapter 11: Mad
"You're mad!"

lol. sounded so funny on audio.

Kayla (onthefritz) (_onthefritz) | 6 comments I'm really liking this! The transition and Institute are really fun to read. I'm hoping to see other characters from different houses, not just all House Mars. I'm also suspicious that there could be others who were turned into Golds.

message 17: by Terra (new) - added it

Terra (bookbandit86) | 14 comments im on ch 15 and im enjoying it. we all have different tastes and likes which is wonderful and refreshing. im really into this book and looking forward to the whole 5 book trilogy :P

message 18: by K.M. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.M. Smith | 5 comments These are the chapters were I really started to get into the book. I do actually like Darrow as a character, but I could see way he wouldn't be a favorite. The scenes in the institute were really interesting.