What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Short Story read in High School approx 2003 about a boy who wants to look in a box belonging to his father from his father's time in the war (possibly Vietnam?). Possible Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela (angela_houser) | 6 comments Possibly spoilers in this post.

I read a short story in high school (approx. 2003). It was about a boy who wants too look in a box belonging to his father from his father's time in the war (possibly Vietnam?) He ends up opening the box at some point and finds out his father was tortured for information as a POW I believe.
--I thought the title had a bird in it, but I might be confusing this story with the title The Scarlet Ibis, which of course is a totally different story.

message 2: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments Did you read it in a text book for a class or in an anthology? If the latter, was it a one-author collection or multiple authors? Or did you read it in some other format?

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela (angela_houser) | 6 comments It was in an English textbook. I believe it was one author.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40627 comments Mod
Angela is still looking for this and wrote:

"American Short Story-boy has distant dad who was in Vietnam. His dad had a metal box from the war he isn’t supposed to look in. I think he does but somehow he dinds out his dad was a POW and learns of some of the tortures he faced

This was a required high school reading when I was in high school so somewhere around 2002-2005."

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40627 comments Mod
Angela, to find your comments in the group go to the home page and click on "My Group Comments" or "My Group Topics" above the mod avatars.

My Group Topics shows all the threads you've started.