What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Vinegar Street
This topic is about Vinegar Street
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA 80s/90s book about astral projection. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited May 04, 2018 12:21AM) (new)

I've been looking for a book for years now with no success. The frustrating thing is, I can't remember the title or author. I read it back in 2002 and it was a young adult book with a quirky, gothic female protagonist. A boy moved to her town and they could both astral project. I think it was published in the late 80s or early 90s. The only character name I can remember is her father who was called, Gus Pa but he had mysteriously died. The book was purple with the girl and her cat on the front cover. That is all I can remember but I would love to find it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

message 2: by SBC (new)

SBC (essbeecee) | 989 comments Double Trouble comes to mind as a possibility?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

SBC wrote: "Double Trouble comes to mind as a possibility?"

Thanks for taking the time to reply - unfortunately this isn't the one. :(

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36605 comments Mod
Kimmy, can you describe their experiences with astral projection?

Can you tell us more about the girl and boy - their ages, favorite subjects/interests/skills, personalities, family/friends, romance, etc.?

What's the tone - mystery, coming of age, angsty, funny, romantic, etc.?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Kris wrote: "Kimmy, can you describe their experiences with astral projection?

Can you tell us more about the girl and boy - their ages, favorite subjects/interests/skills, personalities, family/friends, roman..."

Unfortunately I can't remember much about it with it being so long ago.

It was set in a fictional town and the girl was a teenager who lived with her family except her dad who mysteriously died.

The boy, who was also a teenager moved to her town with his mother who was pretty mean. The boy and girl weren't allowed to spend time together so they used astral projection to hang out. I really don't remember much more than that, sorry.

The illustrations stood out for me the most. They had a Tim Burton vibe and the characters and town were pretty quirky.

message 6: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4327 comments Vinegar Street by Philip Ridley maybe? According to previous search: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... The blonde neighbour has a son who she keeps locked up because she's ashamed of him (because he is 'strange' like the protagonist).

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Ayshe wrote: "Vinegar Street by Philip Ridley maybe? According to previous search: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/......"

Omg this is it! Thank you so much for pointing this out. I've literally been trying to identify this book for years!

Thank you. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Double Trouble (other topics)
Vinegar Street (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Philip Ridley (other topics)