Obsessed with True Crime discussion

In Plain Sight: The Kaufman County Prosecutor Murders
This topic is about In Plain Sight
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Group read of In Plain Sight

Comments Showing 1-50 of 176 (176 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3435 comments Mod
I am skipping a challenge for May and for June I would like to try a group read. There was much excitement for Kathryn Casey's new book so I thought it would be fun if we all read it in June and discussed it. I sent a message to Kathryn and she is willing to make herself available for questions and general participation.

Koren  (koren56) | 1431 comments I'm in. When do we start?

message 3: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new) - rated it 4 stars

June 1st

Fishface | 14084 comments Just sent for one.

*glances uneasily at teetering TBR pile*

Koren  (koren56) | 1431 comments Koren wrote: "I'm in. When do we start?"

Dang. Dont know if I can wait that long.

message 6: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 127 comments Yes!

message 7: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Koren wrote: "Koren wrote: "I'm in. When do we start?"

Dang. Dont know if I can wait that long."

Ashleigh Brooks | 104 comments Are we going to have a reading schedule? For example, we would read the first 3 chapters by June 10 and then discuss in a forum? Or are we just going to read at our own pace and discuss as we go along?

message 9: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashleigh wrote: "Are we going to have a reading schedule? For example, we would read the first 3 chapters by June 10 and then discuss in a forum? Or are we just going to read at our own pace and discuss as we go al..."

Read at your own pace and post comments and questions as they come up. Kathryn will be checking the thread during the month to respond as needed.

message 10: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new) - rated it 4 stars

It's almost time! I hope everyone that participates enjoys the book. I also want to give a big thanks to Kathryn for participating.

Erin  | 376 comments Because I'm a monster I forgot about this group read. So I just ordered the book today and its arriving on June 4th.
Adulting is hard : (

message 12: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin wrote: "Because I'm a monster I forgot about this group read. So I just ordered the book today and its arriving on June 4th.
Adulting is hard : ("

I forgot to order it too. Oops.

Erin  | 376 comments I feel better now!

message 14: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 127 comments I'm doing the kindle version. I'll download it tonight or tomorrow :)

Ashleigh Brooks | 104 comments Is this the thread that we'll be posting questions/comments on? I'm super excited to participate!!!!

message 16: by Fishface (last edited May 31, 2018 07:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fishface | 14084 comments Erin wrote: "Because I'm a monster I forgot about this group read. So I just ordered the book today and its arriving on June 4th.

If that qualifies you as a monster, I shudder to think what the rest of us are.

*side-eye at Bella*

Erin  | 376 comments Haha!

message 18: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (last edited Jun 01, 2018 07:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fishface wrote: "Erin wrote: "Because I'm a monster I forgot about this group read. So I just ordered the book today and its arriving on June 4th.

If that qualifies you as a monster, I shudd..."

:::whistles and tries to look innocent:::

message 19: by Kathryn (last edited Jun 01, 2018 02:07PM) (new)

Kathryn Casey | 66 comments I'm here. If this isn't the right place, let me know. I'll check in off and on to answer questions! So excited y'all are doing this!

Ashleigh Brooks | 104 comments Mrs. Casey,

I've just began reading and I'm really curious to know why the Williams agreed to talk to you, after declining to speak with even major news outlets. The only reason I could figure is that they would rather have their words on paper than appear on television before hundreds of people. Did you get to meet with either of them personally or were the interviews conducted via phone or letter? This is the first of your novels that I've ever read, so I'm excited to delve into it.

message 21: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Casey | 66 comments I met with them personally in the prison on multiple occasions over a two-year period, Ashleigh. I'm not sure why they chose me to talk to, except that Kim had read one of my books and liked it. My guess is that Eric just liked the idea of it being a book.

message 22: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 127 comments I love that you just said y'all, Kathryn. Up here in the Pacific
Northwest I don't hear a lot of southern flavor.

I bought my book today and read the prologue before I left. I'm looking forward to another great true crime read!

Are all of your books about crimes that took place in Texas?

Koren  (koren56) | 1431 comments Kathryn, one of the reasons I love your books is that it is obvious that you do a lot of leg work and research. Most of us in this group agree that our least favorite TC books are ones that are obviously taken from articles and transcripts. I was wondering if you keep track of how many hours of research you put into a book and if so, how many hours were spent on research for this book.

message 24: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Casey | 66 comments Stacey, we use y'all down here a bunch. I grew up in the Mid-west, and it was you guys! Fun. Yes, all the books are on Texas crimes. This one in particular is a crazy case. Very Texas.

Koren, thanks. Yes, I do a lot of research. I've never kept track of the hours, but this book took about two years to write, and at least a year and a half was spent in the research. I was working on another book part of that time, but this book was my main project.

message 25: by Fishface (last edited Jun 02, 2018 02:17PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fishface | 14084 comments Kathryn, it seems to me that Texas is notable for its weird legal outcomes, like the known serial killer who had to be classified for technical reasons as a nonviolent offender or the example a prosecutor gave in one book I read, saying that a guy who kills his parents is likely to ask the court for leniecy on account of him being an orphan, "and the thing is, because the case is in Texas, the judge is going to see his point." This is your area...do you see a lot of legal weirdness in TX?

message 26: by Koren (last edited Jun 03, 2018 09:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Koren  (koren56) | 1431 comments I did a double take when I saw there is actually a town called White Settlement. Curious about how the town got its name I did a google search and found this article from the New York Times if anyone is interested. If you addressed this in the book, Kathryn, my apologies. I'm not very far into the book yet.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/13/us...

message 27: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Casey | 66 comments I didn't, Koren. Thanks for looking into it. Is there a link attached? I don't see it.

message 28: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Casey | 66 comments Yes, but I believe these things happen all over, actually. People use/argue whatever they can. Texans do seem to do things bigger, brasher, which is why it's such a fascinating place to write true crime.

message 29: by Fishface (last edited Jun 03, 2018 07:11AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fishface | 14084 comments Hmm, then maybe it's just that Texas authors are more likely to publish the details of the flakier cases. I wonder...

I, personally, am thrilled to be reading about another multiple murderer nicknamed "Opie."

Koren  (koren56) | 1431 comments Kathryn wrote: "I didn't, Koren. Thanks for looking into it. Is there a link attached? I don't see it."

Looks like I forgot to post the link. It is from the New York Times and talks about how the town knows the name is controversial but dont want to change it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/13/us...

Koren  (koren56) | 1431 comments I'm up to page 100 and dont want to put the book down. This guy is doing something every minute. I have some observations but I'm thinking it might be too soon to comment and will wait to see if it is addressed in the book. Interesting that so far this guy is flying under the radar as far as anyone thinking he has a mental illness but I'm sure that is all going to come to a head pretty soon.

Koren  (koren56) | 1431 comments I thought the quote from Ann Rule on the cover was nice, although obviously not a quote pertaining to this book as she has been gone almost 3 years. Kathryn, did you know Ann personally? She is the one that got me interested in TC as a genre. The members here that were in the TC group on Shelfari from the beginning know that that group started as an Ann Rule fan site but evolved to encompass all TC. I miss her books. They always came out right before Christmas so they were always a gift from my husband.

Erin  | 376 comments The book just arrived, I'll be starting it tonight or tomorrow.

message 34: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 127 comments Interesting article on White Settlement, Koren. Thanks for posting!

Fishface | 14084 comments It's hard to believe the beautiful, happy woman in the photos inside the book is the same person as the shagged-out creature with the bloodhound face in the mugshot on the back cover.

Koren  (koren56) | 1431 comments Fishface wrote: "It's hard to believe the beautiful, happy woman in the photos inside the book is the same person as the shagged-out creature with the bloodhound face in the mugshot on the back cover."

Shhhh. I have not read the back cover to avoid any spoilers. I haven't even read any reviews. I really like how the pictures are interspersed throughout the book as so many times when you page through the pictures in the center they contain spoilers. This way the pics go along with where the story is at when you see them, if that makes sense.

Fishface | 14084 comments I agree completely. The best photos I have ever seen in a book were the ones in The Laughing Gorilla: A True Story of Police Corruption and Murder. They gave NOTHING away and neither did the jacket blurb.

message 38: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ashleigh wrote: "Is this the thread that we'll be posting questions/comments on? I'm super excited to participate!!!!"

This is the right place and I am super excited to have you participate!

message 39: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (last edited Jun 04, 2018 06:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathryn wrote: "I'm here. If this isn't the right place, let me know. I'll check in off and on to answer questions! So excited y'all are doing this!"

This is the right place and I think I speak for all or most of us when I say we are super excited to have you join us!

message 40: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Please forgive me for getting stuck on the word super.

:::runs off to find a thesaurus:::

message 41: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fishface wrote: "Kathryn, it seems to me that Texas is notable for its weird legal outcomes, like the known serial killer who had to be classified for technical reasons as a nonviolent offender or the example a pro..."

This reminds of the son who attempted to murder his family and his father survived. At sentencing the father pleaded for his son to not get the death penalty because "he's the only family I have left." The judge said, "You do realize he's the only family you have left because he had your wife and other son murdered."

message 42: by Fishface (last edited Jun 04, 2018 09:37AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Fishface | 14084 comments Sadly, it's pretty much the same position Kip Kinkel's sister took after he killed their parents. What a lousy position to find yourself in!

message 43: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Casey | 66 comments Koren wrote: "I thought the quote from Ann Rule on the cover was nice, although obviously not a quote pertaining to this book as she has been gone almost 3 years. Kathryn, did you know Ann personally? She is the..."

Reading it, I can see why the quote is confusing. Ann wasn't referring to any particular book, but to me. The full quote was "Kathryn Casey is one of the best in the true crime genre." It was really wonderful of her. Yes, Ann and I were friends. I miss her. She was a terribly kind woman.

message 44: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Casey | 66 comments Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "I'm here. If this isn't the right place, let me know. I'll check in off and on to answer questions! So excited y'all are doing this!"

This is the right place and I think I speak fo..."

Thank you! Happy to be here.

message 45: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Casey | 66 comments Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Fishface wrote: "Kathryn, it seems to me that Texas is notable for its weird legal outcomes, like the known serial killer who had to be classified for technical reasons as a nonviolent offender or ..."

Koren wrote: "Fishface wrote: "It's hard to believe the beautiful, happy woman in the photos inside the book is the same person as the shagged-out creature with the bloodhound face in the mugshot on the back cover.

That's the Whitaker case. So tragic.

message 46: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Casey | 66 comments Koren wrote: "Fishface wrote: "It's hard to believe the beautiful, happy woman in the photos inside the book is the same person as the shagged-out creature with the bloodhound face in the mugshot on the back cov..."

Thanks, Koren. I've been putting the photos inside the chapters for the last three books. I did it to keep from having the spoiler situation. Glad it's working.

message 47: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Casey | 66 comments Koren wrote: "I'm up to page 100 and dont want to put the book down. This guy is doing something every minute. I have some observations but I'm thinking it might be too soon to comment and will wait to see if it..."

Good to hear, Koren. Eric is a strange one, for sure.

Erin  | 376 comments I'm also 100 pages in, I started reading it last night. Eric is a ticking time bomb. I knew nothing about this case going and only one victim is named on the back of the book, so every time someone new is introduced I'm worried about them.

message 49: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Casey | 66 comments That's also good to hear, Erin!

Koren  (koren56) | 1431 comments Kathryn wrote: "Koren wrote: "Fishface wrote: "It's hard to believe the beautiful, happy woman in the photos inside the book is the same person as the shagged-out creature with the bloodhound face in the mugshot o..."

Kathryn, I have read all of your TC books but its been a while so I dont remember the photos being throughout the book, but I do like it. I dont have to keep turning to the middle of the book to see what someone looks like.

Does anyone else read a description of someone and then have to check the pictures to see if you agree?

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.