Play Book Tag discussion

Call Me by Your Name
This topic is about Call Me by Your Name
Archive: Other Books > call me by your name | andre aciman | 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Idit | 1028 comments The writing. The very convincing Ellio. The Italian setting. The writing! The obsession that was NOT dark or menacing. The fact that there's no 'coming out' tragedy and no punishment for having gay relationship (as many books/movies feel like they have to have). The rich inner world. The magical chapter set in Rome. The family and other characters.

I just loved following Ellio's train of thoughts that reflected so beautifully his nervousness, excitement, misgivings, love, passions ... it felt very real - with thoughts changing quickly in reaction to a word or a small action

and there's time. circularity and layering of time.

It really is beautiful.

Idit | 1028 comments by the way, I found a lovely article he wrote about his mum who is deaf
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I have not read this book, but I rave about the movie to anyone who will listen to me! Have you seen it? It was wonderful.

I thought on of the great things about the movie (and I hope it was in the book) was that Elio's parents were so supportive. They knew what was going on, they trusted Elio, and they wanted him to figure out his sexuality but in a way that they just stayed out of it.

I just thought it was a great book overall, and whether you are straight/gay/bisexual, you can relate to the feeling of falling in love for the first time and perhaps even getting your heart broken in the process.

message 4: by Idit (last edited May 02, 2018 05:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Idit | 1028 comments I haven't seen the movie yet and because I loved the book and the book is mainly about his thoughts, I might not try the movie - it just can't be the same. Movies needs to have more action (otherwise it will mainly be a teenager lying down and thinking - which doesn't make the best of movies lol)

In the book the parents are not supportive or non-supportive - they are just not part of his two-men-universe. but after Oliver leaves, the father has a very supportive chat with Elio. I liked it very much that the author didn't feel the need to 'tick' all the 'demands' for a gay love story. It was avoiding cliches and I loved it for that.

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments I’m very much looking forward to this one!

Susie | 4488 comments I must add this to my list. Thanks for your review.

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I think in the movie the parents were supportive by staying out of it. The dad also had a speech at the end.

The movie was definitely a slow, thoughtful movie, but I may actually like reading the book to gain more insight to Elio. There were many longing looks and wistful sighs, but I would like to know more of the thoughts behind that.

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) I'll have to check this out.

message 9: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna | 35 comments Me too. This looks like just my kind of thing.

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Nicole R wrote: "I have not read this book, but I rave about the movie to anyone who will listen to me! Have you seen it? It was wonderful.

I thought on of the great things about the movie (and I hope it was in t..."

Nicole I am glad you liked the movie, I have it on my list. I did not know it was based off of a book but I should have guessed. I don't think I will have time for this book but glad to know it was good.