Maryse's Book Blog WolfPack/Bridesmaids Meeting Place discussion

Miscellaneous Chatter > HELP! I need a book rec

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Because you all are so awesome with recs (and my memory is crap) I hope you can help me. My real life BFF wants to try some contemporary romance (stand alone) but she has specific requests. She wants steam but hates when MCs get together too soon. She needs sexual tension and build up first. But she doesnt want slow burn (like Mariana Zapata) or overly descriptive style (like Kristen Ashley) either. She also likes foreplay in the love scenes (not quickies or fade to black). Any suggestions?

I am sure I have read some like this but I cannot for the life me think of any.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments Well - the Vixen and the Vet which I'm reading right now is kind of slow build tension, not overly descriptive, steamy. It might fit the bill.

message 3: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments I would say anything Opal Carew but that's just pure smut!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Leslie , she sounds like you. Has she read your favorites?

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Ela, she likes smutty but just not smutty in first few chapters. She doesnt like it when they have sex right away. (I know, weird! But different strokes right?)This doesnt bother me, so I dont pay attention to it. Thats why I am having trouble making recs. I dont think I have read Opal Carew, but am checking it out. Thanks!

Lisa, I loved Vixen and the Vet. I didnt remember that it had slow build, so good idea. 😗

message 6: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments How about Madeline Sheehan's books?

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Bev, the problem is she hates when couple has sex right away and so many of the ones I read couple had casual sex first, then fall in love. Other problem is I cant remember which ones this happens in. Book amnesia. Its a real thing.

message 8: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments Mia Sheridan has great standalones but I can't remember how much foreplay or how detailed sexy they are--they may not be smutty enough. lol And some may be instalove, but I'm thinking not all. Maybe someone else can remember if one of her books fits the bill?

Leslie--is there a specific age she prefers? As in younger contemp (like late 20's to early 30's) or a bit more 'mature' (late 30's and older)??

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Nay, I dont think she cares about age as long as its not insta love/lust (foreplay in love scenes is a must).

I have to admit, I dont want long love scenes. I like some steam, but I will skim them if there are too many or too drawn out.

message 10: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments This is one that I loved that had a slow build with lots of foreplay, but the characters are younger:

Brother's Keeper Brother's Keeper by Elizabeth Finn

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Its hard because i cant remember how many play out.

Has she tried Nora Roberts?
Act Like It by Lucy Parker....but maybe too slow.
What about Judith McNaught CRs.
Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Katie MacAlister's Men in Kilts

message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Bev, I think Nora Roberts and SEP type authors would not be hot enough for her. Know what I mean? She typically reads fiction so when she delves into romance genre she wants sexy. I am all about the romance/swoon so this is hard for me.

Nay, Brothers Keeper sounds like a good one. I gotta ad to my own list!

Thanks for all this great feedback!!!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Worth the Fall
Snow kissed

But maybe not enough heat, lol. I rarely remember....its the romance ....heart flutters....humor....feels i remember.

message 14: by Nay (new)

Nay (4ukcats) | 3499 comments This one was super hot (can't remember specifically about the foreplay, but I *think* there was a decent amount) and had a great story line. I don't think it was instalove because the cop hero was stubborn. Someone else may remember.

The Brave Line The Brave Line by Kate Stewart

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Im not knocking those scenes. Just been reading romance for over 20 years. My heat meter is broken. Like many of our angst meters, lol.

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Bev, YES!!!! Worth the Fall!! One of my all time faves.

Nay, my friends hub is cop & they met when she was a dispatcher!!! The Brave Line is perfect.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

See, that looks good. Love slooooow burn but sometimes want the insta.

message 18: by Robin (new)

Robin Hill (robinhill) | 1528 comments That's pretty much any book by Emma other than S&G.

message 19: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Erin Watts, especially Paper Princess
Penelope Douglas Misconduct. Heck, most of hers take a while for the first bang, but then are detailed.
The Last Guy by Ilsa Madden-Mills
If she likes mafia, A Mafia and his Angel by Lylah James
Ryan's Bed by Tijan

Apparently, a lot of my five stars is exactly what she requested. lol

message 20: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1708 comments Leslie, I have amnesia when it comes to recalling details, but I just read The Real by Kate Stewart...it's a standalone and it was really good...I can't say with certainty that it fits all the other criteria, but I think its a good one :)

message 21: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1708 comments Adriana Locke is really good too...most are series though...
also, Jewel E Ann...she has a couple of standalones...
Kennedy Ryan Long Shot
sorry, I'm just throwing names out there that I think would fit most of what you're looking for

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Aiello (lisaaiello) | 2459 comments OMG - Jack & Jill Series fo sho!!!

message 24: by Ela (new)

Ela | 4283 comments Leslie, does she like dark reads?

message 25: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 1761 comments Lisa wrote: "OMG - Jack & Jill Series fo sho!!!"

It's on my list, but that really pushes it up.

message 26: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Thanks guys, these are some great suggestions. 😁😗🤓

Ela, I am not sure how she feels about dark, bdsm-club, MCs, mafia, etc. I texted her.

message 27: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Robin, this is my friend that I gifted your book to, but she is gonna wait til sequel out before reading it.

Its funny because as much as I LOVED Forever Right Now, Rush, Butterfly Project and In Harmony, I have no recollection AT ALL of the love scenes. I just remember loving story, romance & characters.

message 28: by JudyCa (last edited May 02, 2018 01:19PM) (new)

JudyCa | 1708 comments Tessa wrote: "Lisa wrote: "OMG - Jack & Jill Series fo sho!!!"

It's on my list, but that really pushes it up."

you haven't read that yet? soooooo good!!

message 29: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments Leslie, I’m up. What about Room 212 Kate Stewart that is her best book.
Or jacked Tina Reber from memory that is a cop book.

message 30: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) Cold-Hearted Rake for a really good HR read. Hahaha. I had to go there. But it fits your request. Sexual tension and build-up but not slow burn. Quite steamy. *fans self* but not OTT erotica. Good plot line; not too descriptive a la KA. Can't remember about the foreplay. Oops. But I would think, yes. Anyhoo, your friend might like to try it if she's game for HR.

Or, has anyone suggested Will? Beautiful Player No brainer.

message 31: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1708 comments Melinda wrote: "Leslie, I’m up. What about Room 212 Kate Stewart that is her best book.
Or jacked Tina Reber from memory that is a cop book."

I haven't read that one from KS yet...I'll have to add it to my KU list :)

Speaking of Tina Reber, did you read Love Unscripted? I loved this and book 2, total angst!

message 32: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) Rachel Gibson's See Jane Score. An oldie but goodie. About a hot hockey player and a slightly nerdy sports writer with a secret passionate side. Great, entertaining read. Some very funny moments, lovely (and hot) romance that's not too instant. Great set of characters and good plot development.

Susan Fanetti's mafia series: Deep or Rooted. Rooted has very little mafia stuff actually. Two more mature protags, a Pagano daughter and a widowed writer have a hot affair in Paris, but what will happen when they have to return to their lives in the real world? Lovely book.
Deep is a fav of mine. Really beautiful heartfelt story of two souls who are meant to be together. Again, not too much mafia stuff apart from a couple of scenes that can be skipped over. Nick thinks he will never really love a woman beyond just sex. He has a darkness inside him cos of the life he has lived, but Beverley brings light into his life, and both of them change for the better. A beautiful book.

message 33: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) I could do this all day hahaha. Just skip over these posts if you like! But I will add a couple more. This one was a fairly recent read that I enjoyed - a CR called Dirty Dancing at Devil's Leap. Pretty corny title and cover, but it was actually a really good read. Quite intense relationship between two people who were in love as teens (but never went past kissing) and were separated for years due to circumstances. Now they come across each other again, and find they still have that deep connection.

Also, I must mention Nia Forrester. Some of her books are really fabulous CRs about interesting, mature, complex people and their complex relationships. e.g. Afterwards or The Fall. The Fall is OWYM which isn't my fav trope, but it's done so well here. And Afterwards is a fav of mine.

Hope your friend finds something she likes in everybody's great suggestions.

message 34: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) Yeah Judy, Jewel E Ann. What about Look the Part? Really good. OK, I'm stopping now LOL.

message 35: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Jan, you are funny! She def would not want historicals, but I bet she'd like Beautiful Bastard series. 😊

I love all the recs.

message 36: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Ok, so no dark, mafia, motor cycle club, manage, heavy BDSM.

I think I have quite a few recs so far that will work.

message 37: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) Waddya mean she would def not want historicals? How can that be? LOL.

OK. Just go with Will.

message 38: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments I have a pretty good list going for her. Yay! Some of these authors I have never read and I am checking them out for myself.

I forgot about Tina Reeber, I really think she'd love Jacked.

Jan, I love Rachel Gibsons Chinooks series.

message 39: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) Leslie wrote: "Jan, I love Rachel Gibsons Chinooks series."

Yeah me too. Her more recent books just aren't as good.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Leslie, let us know what she reads and likes.

message 41: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Bev, I know she tried sample of The Brave Line by Kate Stewart but said it was a "snoozer". That made me laugh as it totally sounded like me.

message 42: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Ruyten | 1026 comments Judy, that is Kate Stewart’s best book. It is fantastic.

And yes I have read all of Tina Reber’s books.
Leslie “love Unscripted”.

Or will, I will share just a little. She would love that book. Everyone Loves that book. Beautiful Player.

message 43: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Definitely the Beautiful series by Christina Lauren. Player being the fave by most of us here.

What about Sara Ney's douchebag series?

How about... Max Monroe's books... Tapping the Billionaire? She's got a new series out too... I just did an ARC read on the middle one Pick Six, and I liked that one, I didn't read the first one though.

message 44: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Grey, I did rec the Christina Lauren books, I think those would be her cuppa. Thanks! 😁

She has read and liked Tapping the Billionaire so I will mention new series to her (I too want to read them so I am happy you enjoyed book#2). Yay! I love Max Monroe (I think Bev & Maryse are Max & Monroe) 🤣

I think Douchebag series might be to "immature" for what she wants. 😕

message 45: by Grey (new)

Grey | 2385 comments Mod
Max Monroe are doing an angsty series too that I am ARC reading... the first 2 books are out. I have done them... but they are a different feel than the rom-commy reads of the billionaire and Mavericks series. Still really good... just different.

message 46: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 2430 comments Grey, I also have those on my list.

message 47: by JudyCa (new)

JudyCa | 1708 comments Melinda wrote: "Judy, that is Kate Stewart’s best book. It is fantastic.

And yes I have read all of Tina Reber’s books.
Leslie “love Unscripted”.

Or will, I will share just a little. She would love that book...."

Ok, I've downloaded it from KU 😁 I'm going to get to it this week, love KS!

message 48: by Kooloo (new)

Kooloo | 596 comments Leslie wrote: "Jan, you are funny! She def would not want historicals, but I bet she'd like Beautiful Bastard series. 😊

I love all the recs."

I’m with Jan. Get her on a Beautiful Bastard STAT