Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Count of Monte Cristo
This topic is about The Count of Monte Cristo
Page Numbering Requests > Count of Monte Cristo (Folio Society) – Page Numbering

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

David Strange | 8 comments The page numbering for the 1999 Folio Society edition of the Count of Monte Cristo is wrong. I have the 1999 edition, and the last numbered page is 1016.

Best,

David

David Strange | 8 comments ISBN13: 9783870708047

message 3: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14882 comments Is the ISBN listed in the actual book? I have never seen a Folio Society edition with an ISBN, except one which was a cooperation with the British Library.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7172 comments lethe wrote: "Is the ISBN listed in the actual book? I have never seen a Folio Society edition with an ISBN, except one which was a cooperation with the British Library."

https://www.abebooks.de/9783870708047...

The Count of Monte Cristo

Both of these include the ISBN and indicate Folio Society as the publisher. The ISBN on the record was added by the librarian who added the "no ISBN" librarian note.

message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14882 comments Therefore I am asking the OP whether the ISBN is actually in the book.

I own a lot of Folio Society editions and none of them have ISBNs (except the aforementioned one that was published in cooperation with the British Library), yet I sometimes see ISBNs listed for them on GR and AbeBooks. I wonder where they come from.

(I have actually written to The Folio Society about this, but never received a reply.)

I find it strange that a librarian adding a 'no ISBN' note also adds ISBNs. Took them from AbeBooks, perhaps? IMO if the ISBN is not in the book, it shouldn't be added.

David Strange | 8 comments No I can’t find an ISBN in the book, and never have seen them in a FS copy. I just added it as it looks like librarians requested the listed ISBN when page numbering requests are made.

I agree Lethe, it seems odd to add an ISBN if it’s not actually in the book.

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14882 comments Thanks for confirming, David.

Forgot to ask, is 1016 also the last page of text belonging to the book? Or are there unnumbered pages after 1016 that would qualify, such as an index (not likely in a work of fiction) or editor's notes?

David Strange | 8 comments No problem. 1016 is the last page of text and also the last numbered page. There are a couple totally blank pages after that, buts rbags it.

message 9: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14882 comments Thanks, have changed it to 1016: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...

Also left a comment about the ISBN in the changelog.

David Strange | 8 comments Great - thanks!

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45500 comments Mod
David wrote: "I just added it as it looks like librarians requested the listed ISBN when page numbering requests are made."

Yes, but as that is for purposes of confirmation, it should be coming from the book itself.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7172 comments Re: Abebooks link in my Post #4.

It looks as if my browser translated without my noticing. That ISBN appears to belong to this edition, and not to a folio society edition.

Der Graf von Monte Christo
Dumas Alexandre

Verlag: Verlag Das Beste Stuttgart Zürich Wien 1999 (1999)

ISBN 10: 3870708042 ISBN 13: 9783870708047

Here is a page with a good cover.

https://www.abebooks.de/servlet/BookD...

message 13: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14882 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Re: Abebooks link in my Post #4.

It looks as if my browser translated without my noticing. That ISBN appears to belong to this edition, and not to a folio society edition.

Der Graf von Monte Chri..."

Ooh, interesting! Now you mention it, an ISBN starting with 38 is not from an English-language country, I believe. I also noticed some cover replacements in the distant past, but didn't revert them to check if it was the same cover being replaced.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7172 comments lethe wrote: "Ooh, interesting! Now you mention it, an ISBN starting with 38 is not from an English-language country, I believe. "

I won't add this edition, if for no other reason than I'm not going to move the ISBN. I'll leave that for others - perhaps, Rivka - to make such a decision.