Elizabeth (Alaska)'s Reviews > The Count of Monte Cristo

2026178
Oct 30, 2011

bookshelves: 1001-books, temp
Read from June 04 to 15, 2012

A high 4 stars or a low 5 stars - your choice. I thought about 750 pages were 5 stars, 350 pages were 4 stars, leaving another 150 pages something less. Yes, it's very long.

Do I need to say this is a plot-driven novel? With the exception of the title character, this one is short on well-developed characters. (There are many characters, most of which are only one- or two-dimensional.) It's an excellent plot, however, with several rather involved threads to follow. What I thought Dumas did best was to paint his scenes. Right from the very first it felt as if he knew his story was going to made into a movie. Of course that was impossible as even photography was in its very infancy when he penned this one.

I will be happy to read more Dumas.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Count of Monte Cristo.

02/07 marked as: read

Laura You enjoying? This is an all-time favorite of mine.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Laura wrote: "You enjoying? This is an all-time favorite of mine."

It's wonderful!

Laura YAY! :D So glad to hear it. It's a long book that you never want to end.

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria I've never read this. Maybe now I will! Good review, Elizabeth.

Elizabeth (Alaska) One of the things I did not include in my review was that I read it on the Kindle, where the footnotes are easily accessed. I know little about the years following the French Revolution, and the footnotes really helped me understand some of the politics of this. Politics plays a basis for the beginning.

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria That's a nice feature on the Kindle.

Laura Fabulous book, one of the best ever IMO. You tore through it!