I Read Comic Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What are you reading right now? > What are you reading right now? (May 2018)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 582 comments Mod
What's on your pull list, library queue, or reading backlog this month? What Free Comic Book Day books did you pick up? Have you discovered any interesting new creators or titles?

message 2: by Kate (last edited May 01, 2018 01:36PM) (new)

April was an absolute whirlwind for me. I had final exams, two massive projects due, and moved to a new apartment. (This is also why I've been pretty MIA from GoodReads lately.)

As a result, I am really backed up on my comics reading. My immediate to-be-read list is:
- Black Hammer, Vol. 1: Secret Origins (reread)
- Black Hammer, Vol. 2: The Event
- Redlands, Vol. 1

What's on everyone else's plate?

message 3: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 643 comments Mod
Just a couple books:

- ハイキュー!! 4 (Haikyu!! Volume 2)
- Giant Days, Vol. 7
- Action Comics (2016-) #1000

message 4: by Kate (last edited May 01, 2018 02:02PM) (new)

Mike wrote: "Just a couple books:
- Giant Days, Vol. 7
- Action Comics (2016-) #1000"

I am so behind on Giant Days. I would love to get a stack of trades from the library and binge read it to catch up. Are the later trades as good as the early ones?

message 5: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Today's comic book run:

X-Men Gold 27- Colossus was kidnapped from his bachelor party. What else can go wrong?
Star Wars 47- The big rescue hits a major snag in an attempt to do something that will change the course of the Rebellion.
Red Sonja/Tarzan 1- Gail Simone's take on two legends, teaming up for the first time.
Red Sonja 15- Sonja and her friends clash with Kulan Garth and things get worse and worse.
Nightwing 44- A new threat pops up in Bludhaven and Dick does something really stupid.
Green Arrow 40- GA's overseas journey goes badly. A lot.
Bombshells 17- Evil arrives in many places and a new Bombshell breezes into town.
Avengers 1- A new team comes together, and one of them is actually not part of the MCU.
DC Nation 0- lead ins for new events coming up in the DCU.
Weapon X 17- Logan's bad enough hurt that he needs time to heal, and the new leader is... a really bad choice.

Really liked the new Avengers book.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert | 46 comments Wayland wrote: "Weapon X 17- Logan's bad enough hurt that he needs time to heal..."

Is that Old Man Logan? I guess his healing factor "ain't what it used to be." I know, because for the past three years, every writer of every issue OML appears in has mentioned it.

message 7: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Yeah, it's "I Can't Believe It's Not Logan" in that book, since the "real" one is still MIA.

message 8: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments Kate wrote: "April was an absolute whirlwind for me. I had final exams, two massive projects due, and moved to a new apartment. (This is also why I've been pretty MIA from GoodReads lately.)

As a result, I am..."

Redlands Was a Wild Ride!!

message 9: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Kate wrote: "Mike wrote: "Just a couple books:
- Giant Days, Vol. 7
- Action Comics (2016-) #1000"

I am so behind on Giant Days. ..."

Kate, somehow... they're better.

message 10: by Wing Kee (new)

Wing Kee (triptypo) | 33 comments Saga vol 6

Sandman vol 8

XO Manowar Vol 11

Mister Miracle vol 1

Batman White Knight

And books.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Wing Kee wrote: "Saga vol 6
Sandman vol 8
XO Manowar Vol 11
Mister Miracle vol 1
Batman White Knight
And books."

Wow that's some good stuff! Which trade was your favorite?

message 12: by Kate (new)

I haven't unpacked my comics yet since moving last weekend, so I've been reading a ton of Webtoons. I finished all of "LunarBaboon" to date, and have started working my way through "Elf & Warrior."

Do any of you guys read Webtoons?

message 13: by Wing Kee (new)

Wing Kee (triptypo) | 33 comments Kate wrote: "Wing Kee wrote: "Saga vol 6
Sandman vol 8
XO Manowar Vol 11
Mister Miracle vol 1
Batman White Knight
And books."

Wow that's some good stuff! Which trade was your favorite?"

Saga is always good, I'm really surprised by Mister Miracle, it was not what I expected and I like that. White Knight is just gorgeous to look at and Manowar is like...comic book junk food.

Oh and Sandman is a reread but I'm surprised how well it's aged so I think that's my favorite at the moment.

message 14: by Wing Kee (new)

Wing Kee (triptypo) | 33 comments Kate wrote: "I haven't unpacked my comics yet since moving last weekend, so I've been reading a ton of Webtoons. I finished all of "LunarBaboon" to date, and have started working my way through "Elf & Warrior."..."

I read JL8 in the past but that's about it

message 15: by Jolinda (new)

Jolinda | 15 comments I'm reading Civil War II for the first time. (I know, I'm a little behind in the current Marvel series.) But I don't like it nearly as much as the first Civil War, so I don't know.

message 16: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Jolinda wrote: "I'm reading Civil War II for the first time. (I know, I'm a little behind in the current Marvel series.) But I don't like it nearly as much as the first Civil War, so I don't know."

oof! I never read it. Maybe I shouldn't?

message 17: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments Mike wrote: "Jolinda wrote: "I'm reading Civil War II for the first time. (I know, I'm a little behind in the current Marvel series.) But I don't like it nearly as much as the first Civil War, so I don't know."..."

I agree it wasn’t as good as the first civil war
But Bendis gets the voices to so many of the characters so RIGHT, it full of beautiful top notch art
There are a lot of shocking moments and it is definitely flare over substance, but sometimes that’s what I want in my comics
If u find it on sale or have the Unlimited app I recommend take the time to read it, also the Captain America (Steve Rogers) tie ins are the ones I mainly recommend reading as well as they as an insane layer to the story

message 18: by Jolinda (new)

Jolinda | 15 comments I'm only about halfway through with the series, but so far, my main problem is mostly just that I don't really buy the premise of the series. I mean, the first Civil War was essentially around the right of superheroes to remain anonymous and the inevitable accountability issues around that. And I think that was a storyline a long time coming. Everybody has asked themselves that question at some point while reading the comics.

But the Civil War II one is essentially about an extreme form of profiling, and I just don't see this as an issue so large that it tears the superhero community apart. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but this event is just not pulling me in the way most Marvel events do.

message 19: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments Jolinda wrote: "I'm only about halfway through with the series, but so far, my main problem is mostly just that I don't really buy the premise of the series. I mean, the first Civil War was essentially around the ..."

I agree the initial premise seems really flimsy for sure
Hope u enjoy the rest of it!

message 20: by Jolinda (new)

Jolinda | 15 comments Daniel wrote: "I agree the initial premise seems really flimsy for sure
Hope u enjoy the rest of it! "

*fingers crossed*

message 21: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments I would agree that Civil War II was weaker than the first in just about every single way.

message 22: by Chad (new)

Chad | 855 comments Daniel wrote: "I agree it wasn’t as good as the first civil war
But Bendis gets the voices to so many of the characters so RIGHT"

I typically love Bendis, but he turned Captain Marvel into a straight up b----. It drove me nuts how far she was out of not only her own character, but pretty much humans in general. To be that inflexable and that sold on someone being able to tell the future 100% of the time was ridiculous. The whole premise of future profiling starting a war was just stupid, especially since there is no way it would ever be legal.

message 23: by Jolinda (new)

Jolinda | 15 comments Chad wrote: "I typically love Bendis, but he turned Captain Marvel into a straight up b----. It drove me nuts how far she was out of not only her own character, but pretty much humans in general. To be that inflexable and that sold on someone being able to tell the future 100% of the time was ridiculous. The whole premise of future profiling starting a war was just stupid, especially since there is no way it would ever be legal."

OMG, this! You just stated much more eloquently than I could my exact problems with the event. I love Captain Marvel, but I just felt like they were butchering her character in it! I mean, in CWI, it's totally believable that Tony Stark is that much of an a-hole because he's been a very shady character in the past and done a lot of crappy things to a lot of people over the years. But Captain Marvel? When has she ever been that kind of superhero? I've always seen her as a superhero who would do anything for her friends, not one who would single-handedly destroy human rights!

message 25: by Wing Kee (new)

Wing Kee (triptypo) | 33 comments I just finished Supergirl Vol 3...it was painful.

message 26: by Francis (new)

Francis | 134 comments I'm reading Thor: The Goddess of Thunder Vol.1 just now, I've got The Mighty Thor: Thunder in Her Veins to follow up. So far I've read up to what would have been the third issue of this run, and I'm really enjoying reading "Thor's" internal monologue. No spoilers, but I know who the mysterious woman who has picked up Thor's hammer is as I heard about this story at the time of publishing, and I'm looking forward to see how things unfold.

I'm also looking forward to reading Domino #2, and Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #22 on Wednesday.

message 27: by Jolinda (new)

Jolinda | 15 comments You know, I tried that Thor series (despite my not really liking the regular Thor series) and I still didn't like it. I don't know, maybe it's just something about the whole Norse gods mythology (or the thees and the thous) that puts me off. Thor was never my favorite character.

message 28: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Been loving Thor for a while now. I had my doubts about the "all new female Thor" when it was announced, but I thought it was a great story. I'm sort of sorry her time is done.

message 29: by Wing Kee (new)

Wing Kee (triptypo) | 33 comments I'm sad Birds of Prey is ending...it was only okay but still. I feel Frankie should have been the new Oracle.

message 30: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Wing Kee wrote: "I'm sad Birds of Prey is ending...it was only okay but still. I feel Frankie should have been the new Oracle."

It is? Oh... dammit. I'm so out of the loop these days on cancellations.

message 31: by Wing Kee (new)

Wing Kee (triptypo) | 33 comments Wednesday is the last issue...

message 32: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments I just Finished Jason Aaron’s run on Thor (Begins at THOR god of Thunder ends at the The Might Thor 706)

I really enjoyed he story he set up for years in advance
I enjoyed having a change to Thor by making it a female character, and there way he series wrapped up as well
Very heavily tied into the Norse Mythology so if you do not like that, you will not enjoy it lol

message 33: by Nick (new)

Nick | 39 comments Just got around to finally wrapping Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate B&W Collection Vol. 1, which includes issues #1-7 from the original 1984 black and white comic. While I'm old enough to remember getting up early before school to watch the animated series, the turtles weren't something I was obsessed with as a child. In fact, it was only a year or two ago, when trying the IDW reboot of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, that I really became interested in this quartet of toitles. From reading that series, I became familiar with original creator Kevin Eastman's art, who happens to be a variant cover artist on the modern run (as well as a story consultant).

And so I decided I wanted to read the original series. Let this be said: the cartoon is quite the departure from its source material. As some might suspect, said comic is tonally darker, more violent, and even occasionally verges into language not fit for a Saturday morning cartoon. But...what's more interesting is how absolutely insane this book is. After only a couple issues, we've got the turtles warped onto another planet, attempting to rescue a scientist who's trapped in a robot body, from a bunch of Triceratons (which, yes, are an alien race of anthropomorphic Triceratops who wield laser weaponry).

The other series I've been reading (on top of an outright failure to remain any semblance of current with my singles) is The Sixth Gun, a series from Oni Press. The series began in 2010, and is written by Cullen Bunn, drawn by Brian Hurtt (aside from a few issues), and colored by Bill Crabtree (outside of Hurtt coloring the first arc). It's a bit convoluted to adequately "elevator pitch," but I guess my best attempt would be the following: it's a supernatural Western series taking place in a Postbellum United States where different parties fight for control of a half-dozen revolvers...each possessing remarkable powers by itself...but if one were collect and unite the entire set...well, I don't want to give too much away.

Hurtt's artwork (especially considering the subject matter) is bright and animated, and not unlike the comic mentioned before this one, would feel right at home with a animated adaptation. In fact, the aesthetic reminds me quite a bit of Batman: The Animated Series in that it's a cartoony clean style that's able to convey subject matter more mature than what one would come to expect. I just wrapped The Sixth Gun, Vol. 2: Crossroads, and look forward to starting the next one tonight.

message 34: by Chad (new)

Chad | 855 comments I'll second The Sixth Gun. It's a fantastic series.

FYI, Nick. Oni Press is publishing The Damned. It's also by Bunn and Hurtt. It's pretty good too. It's set in the Prohibition Era with all the gangs being run by demons. The lead character is cursed so that anyone who touches him after he has died will die in his place and he comes back to life.

message 35: by Francis (new)

Francis | 134 comments I had no idea this would be the last issue of Birds of Prey, I'm gutted as besides Doomsday Clock, the was the last DC title in reading on release.

I've never been a fan of Thor before now, but I've heard good things about Jason Aaron's writing and that this run was well regarded. So far so good.

message 36: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Francis wrote: "I had no idea this would be the last issue of Birds of Prey, I'm gutted as besides Doomsday Clock, the was the last DC title in reading on release.

I've never been a fan of Thor before now, but I..."

At this point, I'll read anything Jason Aaron writes. The only other active comic writer I'll say that about is Gail Simone

message 37: by Francis (new)

Francis | 134 comments I've read all Jason Aaron's work on the Star Wars title, and the first issue of Sothern Bastards, which I've always intended to go back to. At this point I think I will try to read as much of his previous work as possible.

I share your high regard for Gail Simone.

message 38: by Chad (new)

Chad | 855 comments Today was my 400th graphic novel or book for the year. I guess I'm on a horror comics kick.

The Walking Dead, Vol. 29: Lines We Cross
Baltimore, Vol. 7: Empty Graves
Revival, Vol. 3: A Faraway Place

message 39: by kaitlphere (new)

kaitlphere | 247 comments Mod
Chad wrote: "Today was my 400th graphic novel or book for the year. I guess I'm on a horror comics kick.

Revival, Vol. 3: A Faraway Place"

Wow, that's impressive! I am 109 books into my year, but that includes prose as well. Also, I have completely lost track of Walking Dead (I still need to read the Compendium 2 that I have), but 29 volumes is so many!

message 40: by Jolinda (new)

Jolinda | 15 comments Chad wrote: "Today was my 400th graphic novel or book for the year. I guess I'm on a horror comics kick.

Revival, Vol. 3: A Faraway Place"

Wow! Congratulations!

message 41: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Gibson | 13 comments 1/2 way through All Star Batman Volume 2 (mixed feelings so far)

message 42: by Chad (new)

Chad | 855 comments Kait wrote: "Wow, that's impressive! I am 109 books into my year, but that includes prose as well"

Mine includes prose as well. Probably one prose novel for every 10-15 graphic novels.

message 43: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Today's comic shop run:

Detective Comics 980- Tim is possessed by Brother Eye and Steph and Cass get a look at another reality
Thrawn 4- The future Grand Admiral thwarts a conspiracy and makes more progress on his goals
Suicide Squad 41- Deadshot's kid is in trouble, and you won't believe who comes to help break him out.
Green Hornet 3- more on Britt's strange international case and some role reversal
Justice League: No Justice 1- ok if the new threat scares Brainiac, you know it's not good...
Flash 46- Wally's memories of other times are leaking in and causing problems.
Xena 4- Gabby's been kidnapped by Callisto. Will Xena save her?
Batgirl and the Birds of Prey 22- the team deals with Calculator in the FINAL ISSUE
Domino 2- the lucky lady gets less lucky with a new threat looming.
New Mutants: Dead Souls 3- ever see one of those airplane disaster movies? Well...

message 44: by Jolinda (new)

Jolinda | 15 comments Wayland wrote: "Today's comic shop run:

Detective Comics 980- Tim is possessed by Brother Eye and Steph and Cass get a look at another reality
Thrawn 4- The future Grand Admiral thwarts a conspiracy and makes mor..."

Nice! How are the Domino and New Mutants series? I'm eyeballing them, they look good.

message 45: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

DOMINO IS SO GOOD! (Ive only read #1 though haha)

message 46: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 263 comments Domino is great, and New Mutants had one of the best exchanges I've read in comics in years in issue 2, between Boom Boom and Rictor.

message 47: by Becca (new)

Becca I just finished Domino issue #2 by Gail Simone. I’m loving my introduction to this new character, and David Baldeón’s artwork is great. I also read iZombie vol. 1. It’s a campy, fun read & I picked up vol. 2.

message 48: by Jolinda (new)

Jolinda | 15 comments Ooh! I love Michael Allred's artwork. He's done some of my favorite books over the years.

message 49: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Wayland, just read the latest New Mutants: you are correct. Boom Boom and Rictor are some of my favorites from other books (Nextwave: Agents of HATE and X-Factor, respectively). I’m so happy to have them in a book together!

message 50: by Chad (new)

Chad | 855 comments Mike wrote: " Boom Boom and Rictor are some of my favorites from other books (Nextwave: Agents of HATE and X-Factor, respectively). I’m so happy to hav..."

They've been in a lot of books together. They both started out in Fallen Angels, then the original X-Factor and X-Terminators, and finally New Mutants and then X-Force.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.