Start by marking “The Kamandi Challenge” as Want to Read:
The Kamandi Challenge

The Kamandi Challenge

(The Kamandi Challenge #1-12)

Prepare to take part in one of the greatest adventures from the infinite future of the DC Universe and join the industry's top creative teams in a storytelling extravaganza titled THE KAMANDI CHALLENGE!

Born from the mind of Jack "King" Kirby, the post-apocalyptic Earth of Kamandi has been a fan favorite for decades. Prepare to take part in one of the greatest adventures fr
Published April 24th 2018 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Kamandi Challenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kamandi Challenge

Chad
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hoopla, 2018
This was an absolute blast. For Jack Kirby's 100th birthday, DC has put out an all new Kamandi series. Kamandi is one of Kirby's crazy ideas from the 70's. It's set in a Planet of the Apes style apocalyptic future where humans are treated like animals and animals have evolved into humanoid creatures. It's bonkers and fun. The twist to this book is that a new creative team takes over each issue and must write a cliffhanger for next month's team to get out of. I loved the ones where they really tr ...more
Artemy
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, dc, best-of-2018
In 2017, Jack Kirby would have turned 100 years old. Kirby was probably the most beloved and influential person in comics, and in his honour DC published a 12-issue limited series resurrecting one of his more obscure creations — Kamandi, the last boy on Earth. It’s a Jack Kirby version of Tarzan, basically — it’s about a human boy trying to survive and find his parents in a world of crazy techno-savvy sentient talking animals. It’s entirely bonkers, and, as it turns out, a whole lot of fun!

The K
Shannon Appelcline
May 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
A chance to once more tour Kirby's world of Kamandi is a blessing, and the structure of the Challenge ensures that we do, by moving our protagonist across the world over the course of twelve issues. We get to see a number of different locales and a number of different peoples, truly portraying Kirby's vivid and wacky world of the future.

Unfortunately, the structure of the Challenge otherwise undercuts this storyline. It's all about going from cliffhanger to cliffhanger, and although that allows
Christopher (Donut)
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hoopla-comics
With very few exceptions *cough* Tom King *cough* the writers and artists on this Kamandi jam easily get into the spirit of the thing- subject the last boy on earth to over-the-top encounters with a world he never made, and leave him in an inescapable cliffhanger for the next team to solve.

Some of the creators went in their own direction, some tried to tap their inner "King" (not Tom). Rob Williams and Walter Simonson seemed particularly campy:

I think it went about as well as could be expected.
Kaiulani
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun ride but better in theory than execution.
Rick
I need you to understand something. I'm a HUGE Kamandi fan. That's not an understatement in anyway. And I did enjoy this series, but ... yeah, I only gave it two stars. Why? It's kind of a mess.
To begin with, I first started reading Kamandi with the first issue when I was 9 years old. It was actually the first comic book I ever got that was a first issue in a series - back in those days that was a big thing (not like now when publishers restart a series with a new #1 often times within a year o
Társis
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uma grata surpresa. Uma reinterpretação de "Kamandi - Último Garoto da Terra", obra de fição científica pós-apocaliptica criada pelo mestre Jack "The King" Kirby durante sua estada na DC Comics.

As 6 partes desse encadernado são ilustradas/escritas por 6 diferentes artistas.
Curioso é que esse material lançado em capa cartão é justamente um material que merecia uma acabamento em capa dura.

Recomendado aos fãs de aventura e ficção cientítica.
Um preview aqui: https://hotsitepanini.com.br/dc/publi
Alan
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I like to think I've never been shy about some of my fanboy leanings when it comes to comics, and Jack Kirby is one of them. He has his faults as a writer, but the man could imagine EPIC the way very few others could. And, most who have tried to pick up series he created, well they just have not been able to hit quite the same sense of wonder that he did. To be honest there have been a couple, but way more misses.

To honor his 100th birthday DC came up with an interesting idea. Have 12 different
Michel Siskoid Albert
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
For Jack Kirby's 100th birthday, DC Comics issues The Kamandi Challenge. Essentially, they divided the Earth of the Great Disaster into 12 quadrants, pulled one along with a writer's name and an artist's, gave out the assignments for 12 issues, and asked each team to end theirs on an unresolvable cliffhanger for the next. It's fun, and the creative teams have fun playing in Kirby's back yard, but the format does have its weaknesses. Supporting cast characters are dropped sometimes unceremoniousl ...more
Michael
Mar 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-books
I wanted to like this book SO much. I love Jack Kirby's work and Kamandi is one of his wildest, most thrilling series. I love the concept of creators handing cliffhangers to each other and seeing how different teams resolve a scenario. But this book ... it starts off fairly entertaining, but it becomes painfully repetitive all too quickly. Kamandi escapes a scenario, falls into the middle of two warring factions (who inevitably view him as a Chosen One) and races to the next cliffhanger. Each in ...more
Antonio Kleber Gomes
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gold! I STRUCK GOLD! That’s how I felt while reading Kamandi’s adventures. Seriously, as a person who had no idea of who this character was, Kamandi made me go back to my childhood.

I just loved the book. This is highly entertaining, seriously addicting, jaw dropping, great sci-fi.

I remembered so much of myself as a kid and all the things that made us love adventures at that period of my life. Even the TV programs that we’d watch and also interact by phone in order to decide what we’d see next.
Mhorg
May 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The original Kamandi was and remains one of my favorite comics ever. It was Kirby at his best. This modern version was mostly disappointing. Some of the best writers and artists in the business and this mish-mosh mess was the best they could come up with? It's time DC got off their butts and made a new continuing Kamandi series.
B
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
It's disappointing because the creators don't follow the rules. Also, it gets a little repetitive. And there's too much space between handoffs. If they had handed it off every time there was a climax, I think it might have been more fun.
Daniel Butcher
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dc-comics
Wow...holy poorly rated Batman.

I am not a huge Kamandi fan. But I thought this project gave me a good overview to his world and served as a touching tribute to Jack Kirby.

Andy
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Colorful weirdness, literal cliffhangers, and plots that twist on a dime: it's a good time and tribute to Jack Kirby.
Jipi Perreault
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: bande-dessiné
Somewhat uneven but there's a few gems you want tu put in front of your eyeballs.
Dennis Lynch
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clever revival of Famous Jack Kirby character, with 12 teams of writers and artists telling a story, with each issue being inspired what the previous teams came up with.
Albert
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Interesting showcase of current DC Comic talents --- enjoyed Steve Rude's work the most (as usual).
Mel
Jan 26, 2019 rated it liked it
It was an experimental concept that felt rough and uneven along the way. Still, it brought back a lot of fond memories of the original comics.
Darren Malaska
Jan 01, 2018
C.C.
Jun 25, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

The Kamandi Challenge (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Kamandi Challenge, Chapter 1 (Kamandi Challenge 2017, #1)
  • The Kamandi Challenge, Chapter 2 (Kamandi Challenge 2017, #2)
  • The Kamandi Challenge, Chapter 3 (Kamandi Challenge 2017, #3)
  • The Kamandi Challenge (2017-) #4