Addicted to YA discussion

Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2)
This topic is about Thunderhead
Series > Thunderhead

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5323 comments Mod
What did you think of it? Favorite or least favorite characters? Favorite or least favorite part? Will you read the next one?

empirestatebookshelf I think I actually liked this book more than I liked the first one. I really liked the perspective that we got from the Thunderhead's POV, and it was great to see both new and old characters. The characters were actually probably my favorite part because all of them played a part in the story, and I didn't feel like they were just randomly thrown in there for no apparent reason. I can't wait for the next one to come out!

Monica | 4 comments Loved loved loved. The Thunderhead as a character, and its evolving awareness, was fantastic. The character development in general was wonderful and the twist at end magnificent. I am still find the romance a tad dubious but as it is not the sole/primary driver of plot, it did not ruin anything for me. Sorry to have to wait for next book!

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 194 comments I just finished Scythe a few days ago. Is this one as good?

Mark | 2 comments Alyson wrote: "I just finished Scythe a few days ago. Is this one as good?"

Yes, I really liked how the author `took another step' with the story.

While I didn't love every subplot, the major arc of the story was really enjoyable and I appreciate how the author further developed the characters, world, and story.

Brianna (littleladylioness) | 3 comments I finished this book a few days ago and the ending destroyed me!! I’m so excited to read the next one, but so disappointed that I have to wait so long!

message 7: by stardustreader (new)

stardustreader | 19 comments Is this book any good? What were your guys' favorite things about it? I'm hoping to pick it up soon but I'm hesitant bc of hype!

Teri | 42 comments I'd planned to get in on this group read, but had some ARCs from NetGalley and a book club novel that had to take precedence. Hoping it's as compelling as the first.

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 194 comments Book: Thunderhead
Author: Neal Shusterman
Rating: 4 Out of 5 Stars

Well, I didn’t enjoy this one as much as Scythe. Since I enjoyed Scythe so much, I did come into this one with pretty high expectations. Now, when you tend to come into a book with very high expectations, you sometimes do end up getting burned. While Thunderhead wasn’t a bad read, it just didn’t have a lot of the same magic as Scythe, which is why I gave it a four star instead of a five star.

This is still a very well written second book and middle of the series. The world building is taken to the next level. We are taken to new worlds and things are really added onto the first book. With this newly expanded world, the conflict deepens. I’m talking really deepens. The Scythe divides itself even more and is at each other’s throats. This takes us into the political side of the world, which is something that we didn’t get to see a lot of in the first book.

We also get a new main character, Grayson. Now Grayson isn’t like the other characters in the books, whose storyline mostly focuses on the scythe. Grayson really takes us into the more rougher parts of the world. Now, I think that his part really didn’t add much to the overall story, but maybe in the next book, he will become a lot more important.

Rowen and Citra are also back. I love how their story has taken on a little bit of a darker role. They are still pretty much the same characters, but they seem to have grown and matured over the past couple of years. Deep down, we get to see that they are really decent characters. They really are the ones that make this series for me.

Once again, Neil gives us some really intense suspense. I found myself just simply going through most of the parts. Now, there were some parts that I did struggle to get through, but overall it was really good. I love how he makes us feel something for the characters. They are murderers and we really should hate them, but, yet, we keep on coming back to them. Neil just has a way of holding our attention and making us actually care about his books.

He also write really good cliff hangers and then makes us wait a year until we can find out what happens. So, if you don’t like cliff hangers, then don’t waste your time.

Overall, a good follow up, but I didn’t just think it was as strong of a book as the first one. I can’t wait for book three!

Reagan Loveeeddddd this book! It had an interesting plot and a great cliff hanger at the end. I am looking forward to the release of the next book! :)