Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Hour 17: Emotions & Readathons

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Logan (last edited Apr 28, 2018 08:58PM) (new)

Logan (lashelam) | 11 comments Hi! I'm Logan, the co-moderator for hour 17! How are y'all faring out there? Everyone still awake?? ;)

Since the goal is to read for 24 hours do y'all ever avoid books you know may elicit extreme emotional responses? What's the most intense book you've read during a readathon? What the most lighthearted?

I started heavy today... with, 'A River in Darkness' about a Japanese man's entrapment within and escape from North Korea... but later on I switched to 'F U, Penguin' for some laughs and adorable creatures! :D
I find that mixing it up keeps me moving along throughout the day.

message 2: by GabsAboutBooks (new)

GabsAboutBooks I try to stay away from any books that may make me cry so I don't fall into a book hang over and not want to pick up another. I tend to read a lot of variety during readathons to keep my motivation up. I like to read graphic novels for a quick read. As far as something light hearted Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops is a great book to read. It's hilarious and very entertaining. So far today I've read one of Shakespears comedies in graphic novel form and the rest has been mostly fantasy.

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 37 comments I’ve selected more lighthearted books for this readathon. I need time to recover after an emotionally intense book and ain’t nobody got time for that during a readathon! Haha

message 4: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 526 comments Mod
I always read more than one book at a time, switching out whenever my interest wanes for whatever reason, so heavy books are just in the mix and if I read them slower, they all get finished eventually. And if I finish a particularly heavy book I may not start another one that is on that same topic for a few weeks to give myself a break. During readathons I just try to read what I have already been reading, adding in a few more short books with the readathon as a handy excuse to start more books before finishing the one's I've already started.

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (evolbooks) | 15 comments I am horrible in the fact that I don’t read synopsis before. I’m sitting here broken-hearted over my last read and I didn’t see it coming at all. Time to find a funny book!

message 6: by Logan (new)

Logan (lashelam) | 11 comments Gabby (GabsAboutBooks) wrote: "I try to stay away from any books that may make me cry so I don't fall into a book hang over and not want to pick up another. I tend to read a lot of variety during readathons to keep my motivation..."

That's smart! I get teary pretty easily (sometimes annoyingly so haha). Sooo I can't avoid it completely but I definitely try. I was already into the book this morning, otherwise I probably would've held off.
I'm definitely going to put Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops on my list!! That sounds like something I'm going to love! haha
I've only started reading graphic novels in the past couple years and I'm really enjoying them!

message 7: by Logan (new)

Logan (lashelam) | 11 comments Michelle wrote: "I’ve selected more lighthearted books for this readathon. I need time to recover after an emotionally intense book and ain’t nobody got time for that during a readathon! Haha"

I concur!!! I avoid dramatic series during readathons for that reason, a la Hunger Games.

message 8: by Gabrielle S (new)

Gabrielle S | 17 comments This readathon the book that has elicited strong emotions from me is "I'll Be Gone in the Dark" by Michelle McNamara. Not the parts about the Golden State Killer and his crimes although those are terrible but the parts where Michelle is talking about her life and motherhood. I switched books though and haven't gone back.

Several readathons ago I made the mistake of reading Patrick Ness's "A Monster Calls" after which I just sat there sobbing for a good few minutes.

message 9: by Logan (new)

Logan (lashelam) | 11 comments Jamie wrote: "I always read more than one book at a time, switching out whenever my interest wanes for whatever reason, so heavy books are just in the mix and if I read them slower, they all get finished eventua..."

Me too! I feel like it helps with moody reading ;) I've got something going for every possible mood.

message 10: by Logan (new)

Logan (lashelam) | 11 comments Alicia wrote: "I am horrible in the fact that I don’t read synopsis before. I’m sitting here broken-hearted over my last read and I didn’t see it coming at all. Time to find a funny book!"

You're not alone! I've gotten myself into some terribly awkward public reading situations reading books that shocked/crushed me unexpectedly haha. I prefer to know as little as possible going into a book, but with Goodreads and general book buzz it's a little easier to avoid. That happened to me a few months ago reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed, I knew from buzz most of the emotional stuff, but there were some totally unexpected scenes with animals (my kryptonite) that I was totally unprepared for, and took several hours to recoup my mood.
Any luck finding a funny?

message 11: by Logan (new)

Logan (lashelam) | 11 comments Gabrielle wrote: "This readathon the book that has elicited strong emotions from me is "I'll Be Gone in the Dark" by Michelle McNamara. Not the parts about the Golden State Killer and his crimes although those are t..."

Oooh yeah, "I'll Be Gone in the Dark", sounds like an intense one. I agree the relationships and interactions between loved ones get more more than gruesome events. I added it to my to read list!

Patrick Ness's "A Monster Calls" is on my to read list too!! Note to self: do not read during a readathon ;)

message 12: by Beth (last edited Apr 29, 2018 03:02PM) (new)

Beth | 155 comments I'm starting to wish I'd picked something darker actually, maybe I'd be more likely to finish it. Working on The Lions of Al-Rassan, which is very good, but I suspect that something a little more intense/ruthless would have kept me reading longer. I'm going to take a break and squeeze in at least 1 short book though. I've started Bakkhai.

message 13: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 145 comments book hang over is such a real thing

message 14: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments I didn't specifically avoid anything, I just knew I had time constraints on books so they became my TBR for the Readathon. lol. I would liked to have great one of my graphic novels but I was focused on finishing the book I brought into the Readathon and then completing the audiobook I started during the Readathon. I'm pretty pleased with my page count so far!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.