Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Threads > Hour 8: Reading Quirks

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by GabsAboutBooks (last edited Apr 28, 2018 12:15PM) (new)

GabsAboutBooks I can't believe it is already hour 8! The day seems to be moving so quickly! For this discussion let's all share our reading quirks. For me, I always take the dusk jacket off my hardbacks when I read and I rarely use bookmarks. I either find my place again in the book or use whatever I have that is lying around like a pen.

message 2: by Therese (new)

Therese | 4 comments One of my things is that the bookmark I choose must match the book in some way. It must have colours that match or have a theme that's matches the genre of the book. For me it boosts the reading experience.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna | 10 comments I'm really picky about how my TBR bookshelf is organized - and it's been driving me nuts that I have too many TBR books to fully fit them in. Time to start working through those books so I can have neat shelves again!

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 12 comments I have bookmarks, but I haven't been using them lately - I've been using my receipt that the library gives me lol.

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 157 comments Ok. So it turns out I'm...quirky.

I can only stop reading at the end of a chapter or a full stop at the end of a page.

I never fold the corners.

I work out how many pages I need to read per day to get the book done in a week/fortnight. Each night I put one bookmark to mark my place, and another for my target for the next day's reading.

My bookshelf is made up of cubes, and each cube can only be TBR or finished books, not both. The only one that can be a mix of both is the TBR one I'm working through.

I am sure there are more...

message 6: by Shannan Lee (new)

Shannan Lee | 51 comments I can't stop in the middle of a chapter no matter the format. I try to read to at least 4 chapters in a book a day. I also have to read multiple books at a time or a get bored. I am a mood reader.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I have a routine for settling down to read. Right spot, right stuff to hand (always a hydrating drink, some pet distractions for when they demand attention, and lighting if a print book). For business travel (one of these years I'm checking into a hotel to do the fall Dewey's), I always pack a 60 or 100 watt lightbulb because hotel room lighting sucks.

I collect bookmarks -- but never use them. I have ribbon scraps and stray magazine subscription cards I tear up and use so my bookmarks stay pristine.

Since my 40th birthday brought vision issues, I actually mainly read ebooks now. I must say, I loathe how my Paperwhite no longer does one-touch bookmarks like the original kindles did. Continues to bug me.

message 8: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) | 421 comments Mod
Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) wrote: "I have a routine for settling down to read. Right spot, right stuff to hand (always a hydrating drink, some pet distractions for when they demand attention, and lighting if a print book). For busin..."

I HATE that about the Kindles now! I want to just tap the corner and instant bookmark. The Fire still does that but the Touch and Paperwhite do not. I hate having to take an extra step to mark my page!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 457 comments I agree this Read-a-thon is FLYING by too fast!!

Reading Quirks...Hm. I sometimes earmark pages (guilty)

message 10: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments OMG I always remove dust jackets too! I don't want to hurt them! lol. Umm reading quirks...hmm. I'm not really sure! I have to get to the end of a chapter before putting a book down? I always use bookmarks. Or post-it notes, receipts, scraps of paper, sometimes my cell phone or the TV remote. I NEVER flip a book over open and leave it, hurting the spine! lol

message 11: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (igem36) Therese wrote: "One of my things is that the bookmark I choose must match the book in some way. It must have colours that match or have a theme that's matches the genre of the book. For me it boosts the reading ex..."

I love that idea!

My quirk is that if a book has a strong seasonal setting, I save it to read during that season. The one I'm reading now takes place in April, and that's why I didn't read it when I finished the first in the series last summer.

The next book in another series I'm reading centers around Halloween. I wouldn't mind reading it now if that were a secondary part of the plot, like in Neon in Daylight or If The Creek Don't Rise, but it's the main -- and only -- theme in the one I'm waiting 'til the next read-a-thon to start.

message 12: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 146 comments I'm the worst I underline and write my favorite lines from the book on the last empty pages.

message 13: by Devon (new)

Devon (archivist_fox) | 80 comments I like to take off my dust jackets too!! It can be super frustrating to read with them. (I am reading some of my library books and it has been frustrating.)

My biggest bookish quirk? I have grown to have to do something listening to audiobooks. I can't concentrate unless I am knitting, exercising or working. (I sometimes even play video games on mute. I only do grinding or leveling up my characters on games that I have been familiar with or have played enough to know its story. I hate grinding because it is super tedious and boring, but a good audiobook makes it less mind-numbing.)

message 14: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1868 comments Devon wrote: "I like to take off my dust jackets too!! It can be super frustrating to read with them. (I am reading some of my library books and it has been frustrating.)

My biggest bookish quirk? I have grown..."

I don't mind library book dust jackets so much because they're reinforced with the plastic and they're taped in so they don't move. :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.