Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Paladin (Paladin, #1)
This topic is about Paladin
Non-Linda Books of the Month > May '18 Everything Else BOTM - Paladin

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanvi, Moderator-in-Training ;) (new)

Tanvi (trwriteratwork) | 1121 comments Mod
The debut novel from the #1 Fantasy writer on Wattpad is finally here!

Brash, cocky, and unbeatable with a sword (well, almost), Sam of Haywood is the most promising Paladin trainee in the kingdom of Thule… and knows it. The only problem is that Sam is really Lady Samantha, daughter of the seventeenth Duke of Haywood, and if her father has his way, she’ll be marrying a Paladin, not becoming one.
But Sam has never held much interest in playing damsel-in-distress, and so she rescues herself from a lifetime of boredom and matrimonial drudgery. Disguised as a boy, Sam leaves home behind to fight demons-—the most dangerous monsters in Thule—-alongside the kingdom’s elite warriors. Pity that Tristan Lyons, the Paladin assigned to train her, is none other than the hero of her childhood. He hasn’t recognized her–yet–but if he does, he’ll take away her sword and send her packing.
Sam is not the only trainee hiding secrets: Braeden is a half-demon with a dark past that might be unforgivable. Whether he can be trusted is anyone’s guess, including his.
As demons wreak havoc across the land, rebellion stirs in the West, led by a rival faction of warriors.
A war between men is coming, and Sam must pick a side. Will saving the kingdom cost her life–or just her heart?

message 2: by Eve (last edited Apr 29, 2018 11:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments static1_squarespace_com

Here's some art design I found of Paladin:

IMG_2018_04_28_18_21_05

message 3: by Eve (last edited Apr 30, 2018 12:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I've already finished Paladin and it was surprisingly good story for a debut novel.

There were so many funny, awkward, sad, oh-my moments.
I loved Sam's bicker with Tristan and funny misunderstandings arising from her secret identity (the brothel scene was pretty so funny!).

I found the characters likable and realistic.
Lady Samantha "Sam" Haywood was brave and headstrong heroine. I liked her dedication to become a Paladin. She has to hide her identity to become a warrior because girls are not allowed as Paladins. I liked that Sam was kind but not overly sweet. She was cocky and often rash, but she was also fiercely dedicated and loyal.

The other characters are just as real as Sam.
Tristan Lyons, a Paladin with a troubled past and strong heart. He was as courageous and chivalrous as any hero should be. Braeden, the lone boy who has a difficult time than most because he has to struggle with his inner demon and prejudice against his origins.

Some of the quotes:

“If this were a fairy tale, I'd be my own damned knight.”
“Sometimes doing the immoral thing is the moral thing to do. I would lie and cheat and steal to protect the ones I love.”
"If Sam were the sort of girl prone to fainting, she would have fainted right there on the spot. But as things currently stood, she wasn’t supposed to be a girl, so fainting wasn’t even an option.”

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments We have the book on ebooks, but for some reason it is not downloading. I will talk to the person responsible for it tomorrow

message 5: by Eve (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Dee wrote: "We have the book on ebooks, but for some reason it is not downloading. I will talk to the person responsible for it tomorrow"

Hope you managed to get this book?