Start by marking “Paladin (Paladin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Paladin (Paladin, #1)

Paladin

(Paladin #1)

The debut novel from the #1 Fantasy writer on Wattpad is finally here!

Brash, cocky, and unbeatable with a sword (well, almost), Sam of Haywood is the most promising Paladin trainee in the kingdom of Thule… and knows it. The only problem is that Sam is really Lady Samantha, daughter of the seventeenth Duke of Haywood, and if her father has his way, she’ll be marrying a
Published May 14th 2015 by Perfect Analogy Publishing (first published May 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Paladin, please sign up.

Start your review of Paladin (Paladin, #1)
Rachel E. Carter
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-paperback
5 STARS. FIVE “I got no sleep last night because of this book” stars.

description

Okay, so this book has been calling out to me since I saw Emmeline post a review about it: HERE. Then I forgot the book’s name and was checking my Amazon page and WHAT DO YOU KNOW? This little precious is #1 in YA fantasy and, oh yeah, my books are listed right next to Sally’s on “Readers Who Bought This Also Bought This” so that pretty much had me dying of curiosity.

Then I read the blurb…

Girl pretends to be boy.
Girl goes to
Katerina
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, arc
“If this were a fairy tale,I'd be my own Gods damned knight.”

Wait,that's it???No more demon slayers and kickass warriors and rebels and general awesomeness??Sally Slater,you'd better be writing a sequel!

“All of her training had been for this.For a chance to become her own hero.”

Lady Samantha of Haywood didn't want to marry some rich husband and secure her family line.She wanted to become a warrior to avenge her mother's death and help the people in her country.So,she disguised herself as
Melissa (Ever So Mela)
I am on a roll, my friend!

I'd like to steal a line and say "I'm on a rollercoaster that only goes up, my friend" but that's like begging for the next book to suck. So all I'll say is luck is on my side, cause that's two books in a row that I've enjoyed immensely and lately, with my luck, that's mercy ^_^

So I'm going to go for a simple bullet list cause I'm actually supposed to be doing something else, but who cares? Procrastination at its best.

Sam
She wanted to be a warrior and a woman, but
Liz* Fashionably Late
29.2 % BR with Flash!

See what I did there? :P

------------------------

Too many years ago, when I was just a child, my mom sat me in front of the TV and we saw together Yentl. Babs was this amazing woman in a world of men trying to achieve the impossible. Later, I couldn't let go the feeling that as a woman sometimes I would have to do more, try harder and even fight my way in.

Paladin is Sam's story. As many women, she wants to stand out in a man's world. Her dream and biggest ambition is to be
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
BR with the wonderful Chelsea and Harriet. That better be epic. We need it.

Nothing made me despise this story enough to rate it even though I can't finish it, but I can't be bothered to read more of this simplistic and repetitive writing. Sorry for being an asshole, I guess?

"There were tall boys and short boys - though none as short as she - fat boys and skinny boys, boys in second-hand clothes and boys dressed in expensive fashion. Some, like her, stood alone while others stood in groups,
Norah Una Sumner
“You best have dagger hidden underneath those skirts.”
Sam patted the small lump on the right side of her hip,the bulge on her left,and then felt for a ridge by her ankles.
She had three.”

Holy macaroni.This was intense and beautiful.STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER ALERT!STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER ALERT!STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER ALERT!

description

Sam,you beautiful human,you are probably one of my favourite female characters OF ALL TIME.I seriously loved reading about Sam and her adventures.I loved her character
Sh3lly
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lady Samantha was born into aristocracy and has grown up loving swords and wanting to be a warrior. Well, her father is just concerned about finding her a proper husband, so she can start having babies and fulfill her duties as a lady. A major tragedy occurs, which spurs Samantha to take control of her life and begin a controversial and secretive career.

She assumes a new identity as a male and signs up to train with an elite group of warrior protectors called the Paladins. Her trainer and
Radmila
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Radmila by: S.J. Abbo
4 STARS!!!

After Lady Samantha's mother is killed by a demon, she promise herself to do whatever is in her power to fight this monsters.

She couldn't change the past, but she could change the future.

Two years later, Lady Samantha, now called Sam of Haywood enrolls in program for Paladins. Paladins are group of train soldiers, with only one purpose. To kill demons. To become paladin, Samantha needs to disguise, hide who she really is. A woman. There is no place for woman in paladin's world. As a
Vippi
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Update: After this second time around, I love this book and its characters (well, Braeden above all ) even more! *craving for Uriel*

~ I received this book from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review ~

Okay, with this one it has been love at first sight.

This book is... AMAZING!

Paladin is action- packed, twisted, compelling and it literally blew me away.
Maybe it's not perfect - there are some minor issues - but seriously, who cares when a book is this unputdownable?

I loved the story and even
Sherwood Smith
May 23, 2016 added it
Shelves: fantasy
A thoroughly fun fantasy swashbuckler with a thread of sweet romance.

Sam--Lady Samantha--dons boys' clothing after her beloved mother is killed by a demon, and leaves home to join the Paladins, who are dedicated to demon fighting. She finds herself paired up with Tristran, the First of the Paladins, along with a boy who is half-demon, and thus reviled against by the rest of the trainees.

Barely have the three of them been trained before Tristran, who is a straight-forward, honest, but not
Kells Next Read
I had purchase this via my kindle some time ago and was double minded about reading it. I conceded eventually and I can safely say that my only regret is not reading it earlier.

This book is how a book should be written.

I'm not going to go into a synopsis of what the story is about ( you can read that on GR for yourself ). What I will say however is that I absolutely love the storyline, narrative, characters, pace and the direction the story took. I found it to be believable and nothing like the
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
THIS BOOK DESERVES ALL THE HAPPY GIFs IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IT'S SO AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

description

THIS IS AN AWESOME BOOK WITH A GIRL KICKASS FIGHTER!!!!!!!!

description

WHO HAD TO PRETEND THAT SHE'S A BOY!!!!!! AHHHH COULDN'T IT BE CUTER??!!
But on a serious note, I think her reason for pretending to be a boy is quite noble. Plus, unlike Mulan who had no idea of what she's doing, our heroine slash hero is already good at fighting. It's awesome!!
Somewhere along the way, she
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay...it took me forever to finish this book, not because it's a bad book, but because it's available on Wattpad and I have to read it on my computer. I really don't enjoy reading on my computer. I'm not even fond of reading from my Kindle.

So, I kept putting off getting back to the book.

That said what we have here is a pretty good story of a young (female) warrior who wants to become one of an order of paladins.

We follow her through some fairly standard training and overcoming scenes. She
Camly Nguyen
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars :'3
I'm actually kind of surprised that I liked it so much considering how the beginning was really not exceptional.

Ok people. I have found something quite important that I needed to voice out. STOP COMPARING EVERY BOOK TO GAME OF THRONES. The only resemblance between this book and GoT is that there are kingdoms and that there are characters in the book. Wow such similarities. Much likeness. If anything, I would say that Paladin is more like Throne of Glass or even better yet, Alanna,
Twila
She wanted to be a warrior and a woman, but she wasn't allowed to be both. So she'd made her decision, and if given a second chance she would make it again.

I would hate to live in Sam's world.
It's a terrible time, where women are trapped and don't have the opportunities the men have.
And all Sam wants is to become a Paladin (a demon slayer). So what does she do?

Sam runs away, chops off her hair and pretends to be a boy.

This ultimately just led to some of the most awkward, embarrassing and
Pamela J. (Fantasy Book Nook)
This book can best be described as Mulan with a twist- instead of the Hun there are demons. Like Mulan, Samantha or Sam, lives in a sexist society where women are expected to adhere to propriety and marry young. However, Sam has other desires and decides to take charge of her destiny by cutting off her hair, pretending to be a man, and joining the Paladins- an elite group of warriors dedicated to protecting the country from demons. It is a cliché, but most stories these days are. What ultimately ...more
Tracy
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Paladin by Sally Slater is another Wattpad success story. It currently sits at…wait for it… 11.4 million reads and 258K votes and has now been published. It has over 840 ratings on Goodreads - not bad for a book that was published in May this year.

Lady Samantha Heywood, daughter of the Duke of Hayward is a young woman whose life is laid out before her – duty and marriage. Samantha knows she wants more in life, but isn’t sure what “more” is. After witnessing the murder of her mother by a demon
S.J. Abbo
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wath we have here is YA fantasy romance with a strong heroine, great fantasy world, and a great romance. If that still isn't good enough for you then let see what else…

Interesting story – chack
Good writing – chack
Fine dialog– chack
Great characters – chack
Humor- chack
Friendship –chack
Action and intrigue – chack
Hot, brooding bad boy-type love interest – chack, chack, chack …

Did I mention hot, brooding bad b….. Ooooh yes, sorry (blush)!

SAM
description

“If this were a fairy tale, I'd be my own Gods damned
Cee (The Mistress Case)
Unrated Review Because the Stars Don't Matter

Judging from its cover and Goodreads summary, Paladin was not what I pictured, which is quite frustrating to say when these words border right between positivity and negativity. My judgment can tip over to any side, so here's my mixed opinion of the good and bad:

The whole girl-disguises-as-boy-to-fight has been done countless times in the fantasy genre and this book won't stand out.

The writing was too simplistic and dull for my taste, but at least
Lucía
Apr 26, 2017 marked it as skimmed-through
Meh?
C.P. Cabaniss
*I received a copy of this novel through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

I requested this book because I love fantasy and it seemed fairly interesting. When I started I thought it would be enjoyable, but I didn't have high expectations. I got a lot more than I thought I would.

The characters were fun, the story interesting, the world well developed. It wasn't overly complex, but for the intended audience I think that works well. It was addictive. I had a hard time putting it down.
Muse-ic ♬
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Alrighty Bros! I know some of you haven't read this book yet, so I will not cover this review with an epic spoiler alert because you may want to read some of it.
There WILL be epic spoilers in this review. That I can promise you. But I will warn you. In fact it should be pretty easy to avoid the spoilers since the only non-spoilery section will be the beginning, where I will be speaking generally. After that, I will let you know that the spoilers are about to begin, so it will be "read at you
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

4.5 STARS

PALADIN was a dark and entangled world where demons roam killing anything in their paths, and lies and deception baths the streets of their world, and one girl is willing to fight for what she believes in, even if she has to become someone else in the process…

THE PALADIN was such a great book that I thoroughly enjoyed! I was pleasantly surprisedof how much I ended up liking this book. Because to be honest, I didn't have very high hopes for it after reading the synopsis. It sounded
Kathryn Ford
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It is strange, this book didn't have a great story line, the detail was really lacking until the last third of the book where it suddenly turned it up! So many things were inconsistent regarding the paladin training, travelling distances, demons... And the plot was pretty predictable, there was only one surprise that I didn't see coming! Yet I really enjoyed this book! It was the amazing characters that brought it all to life. I haven't read a book where the characters stand out so much and can ...more
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Very enjoyable book about Sam and her adventures of being a boy/Paladin.

The author did a great job of throwing in some comedic areas to break apart the seriousness of their journey into the West.

I loved the Demon aspect and never saw the Master and who he was coming....totally threw me for a loop!

I'm still debating whether I am going to read the next book in the series because I was kinda depressed with the triangle thingy.
Anja H.
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book some time ago and I really liked it!
Yael Shalom
Sep 25, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5

Maybe if I'd read the book six months ago I would rank it differently, but since then I have become more critical.
A lot of my friends recommended it to me warmly and found it perfect, so I feel I must explain why I decided to rate it 3.5 stars.
The main characters - Sam, Tristan and Braeden were great characters, but something was missing. I find it hard to pinpoint what exactly; I just know I could not really connect with any of them.
Sam , in my opinion, should have been more sassy , more
Hollie

This made for a fun fantasy read. I'm not usually a big fan of Young Adult reads but I'm glad to have given this one a try. Here's my breakdown:

Pros:
* Offered as a kindleunlimited
* A strong willed and independent, badass heroine
* Action packed

Cons:
* At times I found myself tiring of the 3 main characters constantly moving from one town to another - It felt as if much of the book was wasted by redundant details of them moving from one area to the next and little else occurred.
* I'm not a fan of
Milka
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read it in 12 hours straight.
Samantha is definitely getting added on my list of top female characters ever, right next to Tris and Annabeth and Katniss and Celaena and Mulan and the rest of my dear warriors <3
Loved it loved it loved it ^^
And now, now I can go sleep.
It matters not that it's half past 3am.

• The Griever's Mark (The Griever's Mark #1)
  • Air Awakens (Air Awakens, #1)
  • Fire Falling (Air Awakens, #2)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • First Year (The Black Mage, #1)
  • Fantasy of Frost (Tainted Accords, #1)
  • Chains of Water and Stone (The Griever's Mark #2)
  • Earth's End (Air Awakens, #3)
  • The Academy
  • Water's Wrath (Air Awakens, #4)
  • Fantasy of Flight (Tainted Accords, #2)
  • Unbound (The Griever's Mark #3)
  • Fortune Favors the Cruel (Dark Maji, #1)
  • Apprentice  (The Black Mage, #2)
  • Rebel's Blade (The Aermian Feuds, #1)
  • Crystal Crowned (Air Awakens, #5)
  • Fantasy of Fire (Tainted Accords #3)
  • Fantasy of Freedom (Tainted Accords #4)
Sally Slater is the author of Paladin, a fantasy adventure novel that has garnered over 11 million reads on Wattpad, and now a #1 Amazon bestseller. Paladin is her debut novel and the first of a planned series. You can also find her writing on The Huffington Post.

When she's not writing, Sally is a public relations professional at a financial communications consultancy in New York City. She also

Paladin (2 books)
  • Uriel (Paladin, #2)
“If this were a fairy tale, I'd be my own damned knight.” 41 likes
“Sometimes doing the immoral thing is the moral thing to do. I would lie and cheat and steal to protect the ones I love.” 10 likes