Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > May 2018 Group Read #1 Into the Drowning Deep

Comments Showing 1-50 of 172 (172 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 3407 comments Mod
HA has chosen Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1) by Mira Grant Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant to be a group read for the month of May.

Remember to use spoiler tags and respect each others opinions.
As always, have fun!

message 2: by Benjamin (last edited Apr 26, 2018 08:46AM) (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) I read this about a month ago, as it happens! I wouldn't call it frightening as such, but it's a great monster story with an impressive amount of research behind it, and the characters are a well-rounded bunch.

message 3: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 926 comments I'm actually doing Mermaid May and while I wasn't planning on getting to this one I do really want to, so this will give me more incentive to get to this one! It's a Mermaid book and that's all matters to me with the Mermaid May books :)

message 4: by Dylan (new)

Dylan | 22 comments I am on the wait list for this one at the library. I should have it in my hot little hands before May is over.

message 5: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Ward (battyward) | 103 comments Grant's mermaid stories rock. If you haven't yet, maybe check out Rolling in the Deep first -- it's a prequel novella.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments I'm going to be reading this in two groups in May, yay!

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 6440 comments Mod
I just ordered my copy. :)

message 8: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 2000 comments I really, really want to read this; but it is expensive. Like, dam, it can't be that good. Ugh!!

message 9: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 316 comments Yeah, expensive! I got it, but still. It's stupid that publishers really think more than $10 is acceptable for an ebook.

message 10: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 926 comments I bought a physical copy earlier this month, I didn't know at the time though there was a prequel. I could get that in May and read it, then read Into the drowning deep, or possibly read the prequel second, I suppose it doesn't really matter but the prequel is short enough it should be ok :)

Can't wait to read this!

And wow :o Why do publishers still think more than $10 is acceptable for an ebook?

message 11: by Ami (new)

Ami | 210 comments YES!!!! :D I'm so excited about this one!! I have had it on my TBR list since the day it came out and I have been waiting to read it because I was trying to get one of my book clubs / groups to read it at the same time. So glad this was one of the winners in the poll! <3 I can't wait to get started on this one!

Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos | 71 comments I’m in. I know thing about the plot, but I’ve never once been disappointed by the group read choices here. So, here we go...

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Stephanie wrote: "I bought a physical copy earlier this month, I didn't know at the time though there was a prequel. I could get that in May and read it, then read Into the drowning deep, or possibly read the preque..."

I think that much for an eBook is ridiculous--I bought a physical copy for MUCH less. Plus, check your library system--they often ship a book to other branches for $0.25 (over here).

message 14: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 2000 comments Shaun wrote: "Yeah, expensive! I got it, but still. It's stupid that publishers really think more than $10 is acceptable for an ebook."

Exactly, and it is not brand new. Ugh

I am still going to read it; only when it gets cheaper.

BTW, the physical book is even more money. I keep thinking I may use my B&N card I got for Christmas.... mmmmm

message 15: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 974 comments Requested my copy. Will join in when I get it!

message 16: by Tyler (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 926 comments Kimberly wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "I bought a physical copy earlier this month, I didn't know at the time though there was a prequel. I could get that in May and read it, then read Into the drowning deep, or possib..."

Me saying that was in response to Shaun. I bought a physical copy of this earlier this month, because I bought Mermaid books to read in May for Mermaid May. I didn't know at the time it'd end up being May's group read but that just makes it better! :)

message 17: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments Picked up the local library copy yesterday, looking forward to this one.

message 18: by Paul (new)

Paul (subpaul) | 8 comments I read this a couple months ago. I was skeptical given the premise, but I was really impressed. Mira Grant is simply awesome! I'm so glad Seanan McGuire lets Mira out to play!

message 19: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 605 comments I'll be requesting this from the library tomorrow:-).

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 72 comments Really looking forward to this one, have been in a bit of a reading slump this year so hopefully this will get me out of that. I've already read the prequel and enjoyed it. Now if I can just figure out how to do the spoiler thing on here. Oh, and if you haven't read the other winner this month, The Descent, I highly recommend that one, it was a great story.

message 21: by FlowerFairy (new)

FlowerFairy | 1 comments I’m in! Bought this one a couple months ago but haven’t started. Looking forward to my first read along with the group!

message 22: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments There's a prequel? Do we need to have read it??

message 23: by Kimberly (new)

Melanie wrote: "There's a prequel? Do we need to have read it??"

That's what I was just going to ask--LOL!

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 72 comments Well, I read a little bit of this one already and I would say that no, you don't HAVE to read the prequel. However, it is a pretty short read, about 125 pgs I think.

message 25: by Robert (new)

Robert Mingee (robertmingee) | 776 comments This looks interesting, and I've been telling myself I need to try Mira Grant, so I'm going to listen to the audiobook, since this catches my interest more than the group listen for May, and since I have a lot more listening than reading time.

message 26: by Kimberly (new)

I have a copy ordered, so hopefully I like it--I've heard good things about this author.

message 27: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 161 comments I got mine on audiobook and the narrator is awesome. I'm in love with this story already. As someone who studied marine biology, loves cryptids and mermaids, and is a horror-fan, this is perfect.

message 28: by Nancy (last edited May 01, 2018 05:11PM) (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 745 comments His has been on my to read list. I won’t get to it until the middle of the month though.

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments I will be picking it up soon from the library. Hopefully tmrw.

message 30: by Kimberly (last edited May 01, 2018 06:03PM) (new)

Nancy wrote: "His has been on my to read list. I won’t get to it until the middle of the month though."

That's okay--the threads stay open so you can join in whenever. Plus, we ask everyone to use spoiler tags and what percentage they're at, so that anyone NOT at that point will know not to read the spoilers. :)

message 31: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments I'm off on a tropical holiday trip on Sunday and just realized what this book is about.....might not be feeling like swimming and snorkeling much...

message 32: by Richard (new)

Richard Gerlach (rudebandito) | 15 comments I just started this today. I’m really digging it so far.

message 33: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 316 comments I'm four pages in...

Did she really just tell you the boiled-down story in the first three pages, then start the fourth page with a rambling 60-word sentence?

I hate not being able to turn off my inner-writer. :-/

message 34: by Richard (new)

Richard Gerlach (rudebandito) | 15 comments Shaun wrote: "I'm four pages in...

Did she really just tell you the boiled-down story in the first three pages, then start the fourth page with a rambling 60-word sentence?

I hate not being able to turn off m..."

She didn't tell the boiled-down story in the first three pages. You'll see. This is all in the prologue

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I picked this up from the library some months ago. I thought it extremely cool. What a fun read! It will be a treat for everybody!

message 36: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 161 comments As if I couldn't love this book any more, the main character delivers an anti-whales in captivity speech. Yes girl!

message 37: by Richard (new)

Richard Gerlach (rudebandito) | 15 comments I clapped when she gave that speech lmao.

message 38: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5535 comments Mod
I've just finished the first section, and I have to say, aside from the overly long set up, thus far I'm really digging this book. I was hesitant to try it because I read Mia Grant's highly praised "Feed" and found it to be not all that and a bag of chips. The story was OK, but the writing was trite and amateurish. I'm glad to see that she has developed into a much better writer after several books.
And I saw some reviews for it awhile back which stated that you should read this book despite the silly premise of mermaids. Silly? I think the idea of killer mermaids is awesome! Finally, something original instead of the typical horror tropes everybody else uses.

message 39: by Kimberly (new)

I just got my copy yesterday--hoping to start this weekend! :)

message 40: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 161 comments You know a book is good if you're looking forward to your hour-long drive just so you can listen to it :-P

message 41: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5535 comments Mod
Well, I'm done. Incredible book. I would now consider reading more of Grant's work, although there were a few things she threw in there that bugged me as being unnecessary and not what I would expect from an author like her. But overall It was great to see a new kind of monster massacre.

message 42: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 316 comments A bit deeper into it now. The year-jumping in the beginning threw me off, but enjoying it a fair bit.

message 43: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 745 comments I am still waiting for the library book.

message 44: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 605 comments I just picked up my copy at the library today :-). I'm excited to start it tomorrow.

message 45: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2492 comments I read the prequel awhile back and found the monsters memorable and the people not. I guess that’s why I’m impatient that at 17% in we’re still not on the water. It’s all character presentation but I haven’t latched onto anyone.

message 46: by Kimberly (new)

Just starting today! :D

message 47: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 605 comments I'm just a few chapters in, but enjoying it so far. The brief descriptions we've gotten of the (view spoiler) are frightening.

message 48: by Kimberly (new)

Kelly B wrote: "I'm just a few chapters in, but enjoying it so far. The brief descriptions we've gotten of the [spoilers removed] are frightening."

I agree! This book wasn't even on my radar before it won the group read nomination.

message 49: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller | 2000 comments After the few comments seen; I think I will go ahead and grab a copy soon. Thanks everyone. :)

message 50: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2492 comments 47% in.
On the other side of the ship, someone started screaming. And didn’t stop.

Let the bloodbath begin!

« previous 1 3 4