Gone with the Wind Gone with the Wind discussion

How did you picture Rhett & Scarlett to look like while reading the book?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Olivia This discussion topic is for you to post pictures of how you imagined the characters in the book to look like, not who should play them, so it doesn't matter if they can't act or if they're people from the past, I'm just talking about the looks that match how the book described the characters.

I know many people think no one could replace Gable & Leigh as Rhett & Scarlett, I have nothing against that, but I read the book before I saw the movie, and the characters I pictured in my head while reading the book was quite different to the actors in the movie, so I'm interested to see how YOU pictured the characters, aside from the actors in the movie. :)

message 2: by Olivia (last edited Jul 27, 2014 06:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olivia So far I haven't found any pictures for the other characters I imagined, so I'm really interested to see the pictures you find, but as I've posted in the other discussion topic, I was reminded of Johnny Depp when I read about Rhett's "closely clipped mustache, swarthy face" and "piratey look" :)
description

Susan I read the book first, also, but Gable and Leigh are so deeply entrenched in American culture that I could not picture anyone else in the roles.

Linda King Susan wrote: "I read the book first, also, but Gable and Leigh are so deeply entrenched in American culture that I could not picture anyone else in the roles."
Same here:)

Lawrence Arnow Obvious, if you saw the movie.

Michelle °O° Since I saw the movie hundreds of times before reading the book I don't think I could picture anyone else but Gable and Leigh.

Pamela Mclaren Its pretty hard to think of anyone after seeing the movie, which I saw way before actually reading the book. Johnny Depp just might do it at least for Rhett's. I'm not sure about who could cover both Scarlett's beauty and steely determination ...

message 8: by Randy (new) - added it

Randy Linda wrote: "Susan wrote: "I read the book first, also, but Gable and Leigh are so deeply entrenched in American culture that I could not picture anyone else in the roles."
Same here:)"

This. They were on the cover of my book. I did picture Leigh a little younger to start though. And in my version Gable had a southern accent.

Olivia "So many books--so little time."" I saw the movie first so I pictured them as looking like Gable and Leigh.

Lawrence Arnow Michelle wrote: "Since I saw the movie hundreds of times before reading the book I don't think I could picture anyone else but Gable and Leigh."

Hundreds of times? That's about 100 (minimum) x 4 hours?

message 11: by Reading (last edited Sep 10, 2014 07:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Reading Harbor Olivia wrote: "This discussion topic is for you to post pictures of how you imagined the characters in the book to look like, not who should play them, so it doesn't matter if they can't act or if they're people..."

Unfortunately, I saw the movie before I read the book!

But based on the book descriptions, I would say that Scarlett should be someone who looked like this:

Rhett Butler

Patrisia Sheremeta I did read the book before I saw the movie, but I was very aware that Clark Gable was Rhett, so that's who I pictured. Even so, I cannot think of anyone better for the part. I believe Margaret Mitchell thought so too. I did not know what Viviane Leigh looked like when I read the book. I don't remember how I pictured Scarlett, however I've long felt that Elizabeth Taylor was born too late because she would have been perfect.

Brittain *Needs a Nap and a Drink* I think Vivien Leigh played Scarlett wonderfully. She threw herself into the role.

I had always seen Rhett as a bigger man though. I mean, he is supposed to be a blockade runner and I know that doesn't mean he has to be physically fit but I always saw him about the size of Channing Tatum. (different actor of course, Tatum is far too young)

Desiree' Although I seen the movie far before I read the book, Leigh and Gable do often come to mind when I picture the characters, yet in my version I see Scarlett as more childlike in appearance with jade green eyes that almost appear cat like when she's angry. I pictured Rhett to have a more chiseled jawline and to be more burlier than Gable. Of course Rhett also did have a more prominent Southern accent in my version as well...

Adriana I agree that Gable and Leigh are too ingrained in our social consciousness to ever imagine anyone else in the roles.

And to those of you who would favor Elizabeth Taylor, I respectfully disagree. The opening line of the book disqualified her: "Scarlett O'Hara was not a beautiful woman. . . ."

Olivia OK I'm an Asian living in Asia so I hope this could be the reason why I'm so different from everyone else here, I didn't even know there was a movie when I read the book, and the book cover didn't have Gable & Leigh on it, so without their image ingrained in me I'm probably the only person that imagined Rhett & Scarlett different. And honestly when I saw the movie I felt the actors were really different to how I imagined them, so I was just wandering if anybody else thought so too, but it looks like I'm alone here.
And btw, the characters in my head were way better than in the movie (just my opinion), so I didn't finish watching the movie, because I want to keep my imaginations in my head :)

Susan Olivia wrote: "OK I'm an Asian living in Asia so I hope this could be the reason why I'm so different from everyone else here, I didn't even know there was a movie when I read the book, and the book cover didn't ..."

Very interesting, Olivia. I enjoyed your comment.

Donna I think Johnny Depp could pull off Rhett. I also think John Cusack would do a good version. 'course, years ago I think Mel Gibson would have done a bang up job. For Scarlett, the little girl who was the lead character in "The Help" would do a great, spunky performance

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* Susan wrote: "I read the book first, also, but Gable and Leigh are so deeply entrenched in American culture that I could not picture anyone else in the roles."

Same here - I just can't picture anyone else. I love Johnny Depp (he's gorgeous), but he has a softness about him that wouldn't fit Rhett

message 20: by Tiggs (last edited Apr 23, 2015 07:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tiggs I have a friend with dark hair and large hazel eyes (they look green up close) who is extremely pretty and petite and I always picture her as Scarlett when reading the book. I don't know why. Rhett is a little less clear, but lately, I've been picturing him as Richard Armitage (the mustache is a bit hard to conjure up though) and Emmy Rossum as Melanie. And only recently, I've been envisioning Vivien Leigh in Anna Karenina as the "delicate featured Coast Aristocrat" Ellen O'Hara. Ain't that a hoot?