What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Littlejim
This topic is about Littlejim
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. MG Historical Fiction Appalachians, Little Jim [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nova (last edited Jul 26, 2014 04:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nova | 32 comments This is historical fiction based (I think) in the Appalachian area of North Carolina. Little Jim is the main character, a little boy, and he works with his taciturn father,Big Jim who I think is a lumber Jack. They take cold gravy biscuits to work for lunch at a saw mill? And someone in their area has recently bough an automobile which is a new thing in the area at the time. I think it takes place in the late 1800s or early 1900s. I read in in the late 90s but it may be older. It was also an AR book.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4885 comments Remember anything about the cover?

Can you remember what the conflict/struggle was in the book? Or, more of the plot?

Nova | 32 comments Little Jim wants to please his father who is a hard, cold type of man. He wants to be strong like his father but he feels that his father sees him as weak and is constantly disappointed with him.

I may be wrong but his father may be an alcoholic.

I think the cover had little Jim on it. He was a boy with dark hair and I think he was wearing Susppenders and a hat. I may also be wrong about that.

I only recall these few vauge details about this book I read about 16 years ago.

message 4: by Kris (last edited Aug 13, 2014 08:00AM) (new)

Kris | 33431 comments Mod
This book is somewhat similar to your description - Jim the Boy by Tony Earley. Jim the Boy by Tony Earley

message 5: by Adele (new) - added it

Adele | 1206 comments I think this is it: Littlejim by Gloria Houston Littlejim

Nova | 32 comments Adele wrote: "I think this is it: Littlejim by Gloria HoustonLittlejim"

That is exactly it. Thank you. Sorry for my description being a little inaccurate, but I'm trying to squeeze details from my memory of something I read and have not revisited for more than a decade and a half. I try! And thanks again!

message 7: by Adele (new) - added it

Adele | 1206 comments You're very welcome! :-)

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37804 comments Mod
Just a reminder, if you shelve your own book, add the URL of your thread to the "Why this book?" box.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Jim the Boy (other topics)
Littlejim (other topics)
Jim the Boy (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tony Earley (other topics)