Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Think of a Number (Dave Gurney, #1)
This topic is about Think of a Number
Group Read Books - archive > Think of a Number Initial Comments no spoilers

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Jul 27, 2014 12:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments We voted in a members poll to select Think of a Number for an August 2014 group read, post here if you are thinking of reading this book or have non-spoiler comments to add. Carol has provided the chapter breakdown. We are thinking of splitting the larger parts into two so that each discussion thread is about 100 book pages long.
There are 53 chapters. Each is about 4 or 5 pages long, with a unique title. Here's the macro view:

Prologue
Part One --
Chapters 1 - 16; pp. 5 - 115

Part Two -- Macabre Games
Chapters 17 - 31; pp. 119 - 232

Part Three -- Back to the Beginning
Chapters 32 - 53; pp. 235 - 418
Here is how the threads are set up - Thanks Carol!!
Part one. Chapters 1 to 8, pages 5 to 56.
Part one. Chapters 9 to 16, pages 57 to 115.
Part two. Chapters 17 to 24, pages 116 to 176.
Part two. Chapters 25 to 31, pages 177 to 232.
Part three. Chapters 32 to 43, pages 235 - 303.
Part three. Chapters 44 to 53, pages 304 to 418.

message 2: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1116 comments I just downloaded from the library. I'm in the middle of a great book and have one more due on Friday. Hope I can finish it before the library takes it back.

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments I hope you can squeeze it in too, Merrilee! I just picked up the audio from the library and also have several ahead of it.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments I also just downloaded onto my Kindle from the library.

Donnajo | 3548 comments I didn't get to jump start this book when I was home last week and didn't take it to the shore on thursday. now I'm back home again until friday. I hope to get alot read this week so I don't have to take it with me on friday. hopefully it will grab me and I won't want to put it down.

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments DJ I finished it today, hope you decide to keep reading it. I don't remember how long it took to grab my interest.
Donnajo wrote: " I hope to get alot read this week so I don't have to take it with me on friday. hopefully it will grab me and I won't want to put it down."

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7906 comments I finished it today too. It kind of grabbed me from the beginning, though. The "think of a number" premise was one I wanted to solve from the get-go.

Donnajo | 3548 comments I'm up to chap 13

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7906 comments Donnajo wrote: "I'm up to chap 13"

Come on over to the Chapter 1-8 thread!

message 10: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments so i haven't started this yet but am curious what everyone thought about it- good read? yea or nay?
thanks!

message 11: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Probably a mixed response, Sherry! I was compelled to finish it, but had a few quibbles.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Sherry, I didn't finish it.

message 13: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments thanks amy and ann. i'm on the fence about reading it because i have so many books that i want to finish before i have to go back to work.

Donnajo | 3548 comments I saw his other books at Well Read yesterday didn't buy them. he must be area author because it was in that area on display on top of the bookcase. I was going to ask for forgot when I checked out. I have to go back to drop something at the dr's office maybe next week and maybe I'll walk down to the bookstore again.

message 15: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14417 comments Sherry. My advice would be to let books you want to read fill in the space before going back to work, and then maybe fit this book in later. I wasn't sorry I read it in the end, but it wasn't a top book.
The discussions were very interesting and Carol's summaries were top-notch!

message 16: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3621 comments Ann wrote: "Sherry. My advice would be to let books you want to read fill in the space before going back to work, and then maybe fit this book in later. I wasn't sorry I read it in the end, but it wasn't a top..."

that's what i decided to do, ann- jamie and claire were calling me :)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7906 comments I would say read it sooner rather than later. I think I liked it more than others but like Ann I had a few quibbles. I've got the second one in the queue bec I give the author points for an interesting (if not entirely sympathetic) MC and a clever plot.

And, there are a host of comments waiting for you to chime in! Would love to hear what you think.

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary Ferguson | 1 comments I read this book last year and I really enjoyed it! Worth the read!!

message 19: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 2998 comments I read it, but did not rate it very highly, mostly due to an overcomplicated plot.

message 20: by Mary Jo (new)

Mary Jo (serenemillie) | 119 comments Barry wrote: "I read it, but did not rate it very highly, mostly due to an overcomplicated plot."
Hi Barry, How do I change name from Mary, which is not my name to Mary Jo which is? You helped me once before and I really appreciated it. Mary Jo

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Mary, go to goodreads and on the top right were you see you name and picture,
click on it, and then you can edit your name, hope this helps.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7906 comments Mary wrote: "I read this book last year and I really enjoyed it! Worth the read!!"

Glad you enjoyed it, Mary Jo. I rated it highly for its unusual plot that kept me stumped. I've since read the next two or three in the series and have enjoyed them as well. Thanks for reminding me to go back and see if there are any I haven't read.