Start by marking “Think of a Number (Dave Gurney, #1)” as Want to Read:
Think of a Number (Dave Gurney, #1)

Think of a Number

(Dave Gurney #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  21,854 ratings  ·  2,131 reviews
An extraordinary fiction debut, Think of a Number is an exquisitely plotted novel of suspense that grows relentlessly darker and more frightening as its pace accelerates, forcing its deeply troubled characters to moments of startling self-revelation.

Arriving in the mail over a period of weeks are taunting letters that end with a simple declaration, “Think of any number…pic
Published July 6th 2010 by Crown Publishing Group (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Think of a Number, please sign up.
Erik I first read this book about a year after it came out (I think) and I remember talking to my mom about how much I loved the way the book made those…moreI first read this book about a year after it came out (I think) and I remember talking to my mom about how much I loved the way the book made those seemingly impossible events have a rational explanation. One question you could pose to your book club is this: How important is it for rationality and logic to dictate conclusions of events? Personally speaking for the individuals that is.(less)

·  21,854 ratings  ·  2,131 reviews

Jeffrey Keeten
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries, thriller
”Do you believe in Fate? I do, because I thought I’d never see you again--and then one day, there you were. It all came back: how you sound, how you move--most of all, how you think. If someone told you to think of a number, I know what number you’d think of. You don’t believe me? I’ll prove it to you. Think of any number up to a thousand--the first number that comes to mind. Picture it. Now see how well I know your secrets. Open the little envelope.”

How would someone know a random number picked
Andrei Bădică
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cel mai lung roman polițist pe care l-am citit până acum.

"Nu se putea lăsa dus de nas cu de-astea. Din câte știa el, când un om îți dă două motive pentru hotărârea luată, e foarte probabil să mai existe un al treilea motiv - cel real- pe care să nu ți-l fi spus."
"Îi reveniră în minte poveștile pe care i le citise tatăl lui pe când avea cinci-șase ani și care pentru el erau mai vii decât orice i se întâmpla în viața adevărată - povești despre aventurieri, cabane în sălbăticie, cărări prin pădure,
Arah-Lynda
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-said

There is a new voice in psychological thrillers and his name is John Verdon. Think of a Number is an unbelievably, excellent debut novel. This one will grab you from the get go! The suspense builds, the plot thickens, your heart races, your palms sweat, the pace accelerates and you tighten your grip to navigate the twists and turns coming at break neck speed. Good thing the pages fairly turn themselves as you will need both of your hands to hold on. This book is unputdownable! The writing is cle
Γιώργος Δάμτσιος
4 αστεράκια σε γενικές γραμμές, αλλά παίρνει και ένα μπόνους 5ο επειδή τελικά κατάφερε το σημαντικότερο, να με αναγκάσει να το διαβάσω σε δύο μέρες!
Μου άρεσε πολύ η ιδέα με το 658, καθώς και η επίλυσή του. Η πανέξυπνη πλοκή του θαρρώ ότι είναι έτσι κι αλλιώς το δυνατό του σημείο.
Ενδιαφέρων και ο βασικός ήρωας, ενώ οι υπόλοιποι ενίοτε παραήταν 'κάτι το εντελώς διακριτό' ώρες ώρες, με αποτέλεσμα να μην ενθουσιαστώ τρομερά μαζί τους.
Στο σύνολό του λοιπόν, ήταν ένα βιβλίο που όλο έλεγα ότι είναι το
Sam Quixote
Jul 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
I made it to page 20 of this mediocre "thriller" before throwing in the towel. I realise that it's not giving it much of a chance, how could any writer bring energy or develop a plot in that time? Well some writers have, notably Michael Connelly and Stephen King, which is probably why they're as famous as they are.

John Verdon isn't much of a writer though. Here are some examples of his awful writing that made me put the book down:

"He realised that planting tulip bulbs on a glorious Indian-summe
James Thane
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
Dave Gurney has recently retired from his job as one of the NYPD's most talented homicide investigators. He's moved to a rural area in upstate New York and is attempting to rebuild his relationship with his wife, Madeleine, who has always been forced to take a back seat to his job. But then Dave receives a plea for help from Mark Mellery, an old college classmate, who has received a threatening communication--a poem, actually--from someone who claims to know his most intimate secrets.

To prove t
Giannis
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Η ιστορία ήταν πολύ καλά δομημένη και δεν σταματούσε να με εκπλήσσει καθώς προσπαθούσα να βρω τους λόγους και τα στοιχεία των φόνων. Έκανε ελάχιστες "κοιλιές" ενώ από την μέση και μετά "απογειώθηκε"! Το ότι είχα υποψιαστεί τον κακό με ξένισε λίγο, αλλά γενικά το ευχαριστήθηκα πολύ. Πάμε στο επόμενο...
Ismini
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
3/10

...κι αυτό μόνο και μόνο γιατί αυτή η υπόθεση με τον δολοφόνο που μυστηριωδώς ξέρει τον αριθμό που σκέφτεσαι σε βάζει στο τριπάκι. Ωραία σκέψη, ωραίο εύρημα για αστυνομικό βιβλίο. Αλλά μέχρι εκεί.

1ον) Κουραστική και εξόφθαλμη η χωρίς νόημα προσπάθεια του συγγραφέα να "ανεβάσει επίπεδο" το βιβλίο του γράφοντας για την ψυχοσύνθεση και τα γεγονότα που σημάδεψαν τον πρωταγωνιστή. Καταντά ολίγον μελό. Δεν χρειαζόταν.

2ον) Οι φόνοι που λαμβάνουν χώρα, και ειδικά ο πρώτος βρίθει στοιχείων τα οποία δ
Magdalen
I was actually looking forward to reading this, and man am I disappointed.
The things I didn't like were firstly and most importantly the writing! If there wasn't a picture of the author I would have guessed that this book was written by a 15 year old. If you can ignore all the cliches *rolls eyes* and the repetitions and you don't give two cents about it you shall be fine. I wasn't.
Other than that, I was let down by the killer. See John Verdon literally offered the killer's identity in a plate
Chrissa Vasileiou
Πάντα αφιερώνω λίγη παραπάνω προσοχή σε ένα βιβλίο όταν αυτό αποτελεί το ντεμπούτο του συγγραφέα. Στην περίπτωση του Verdon, αυτό ήταν το "Σκέψου έναν αριθμό".

Ο συγγραφέας έχει σκεφτεί μια αρκετά ενδιαφέρουσα πλοκή,μια ιστορία που κρατάει σε γενικές γραμμές το ενδιαφέρον του αναγνώστη. Βέβαια ορισμένα σημεία της είναι κάπως άτονα,αδύναμα,κι απλά διαβάζεις για να προχωρήσεις τις αράδες χωρίς να πολυενδιαφέρεσαι για το τι παίζεται στη συγκεκριμένη σκηνή. Ειδικά σε κάτι εσωτερικές σκέψεις του Ντέι
Artemis Slipknot
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Πολύ ωραίο, έξυπνο και ενδιαφέρον βιβλίο. Σε κρατάει σε εγρήγορση απο την αρχή μέχρι το τέλος.Το διάβασα μέσα σε δύο μέρες γιατί ήθελα να καταλάβω τι έχει γίνει. Τον δολοφόνο δεν τον υποψιάστηκα καθόλου!!
Rob
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-thrillers
First and most importantly, this was incredible.

This is not your standard run of the mill thriller. This will stretch the grey matter that lies between your ears.

For once all the testimonials on the cover are accurate, this is the best thriller I have read in a long time.

Dave Gurney, a highly venerated ex NYPD detective, is living the quiet life and enjoying his new hobby of artistically enhancing mug shots of convicted serial killer.
Out of the blue Dave gets a phone call from an old school
Maria Thomarey
2,5 δεν μπορω να καταλάβω γιατι αυτος ο συγγραφές αρέσει στον κοσμο . Ειναι σα να διαβάζει Φρανζεν με αστυνομική πλοκή. Και ναι δε μου αρεσε . Βαρέθηκα . Πολλες επαναλήψεις ( λάμψη αλερτ) , και για όποιον εχει διαβασει Ελρου πχ η ίντριγκα σε λεει πολλα. Το βασικό μου προβλημα ηταν οτι βρήκα το δολοφόνο με το που έσκασε μύτη . Και ξενέρωσα τη ζωη μου
Georgia
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Δείτε επίσης και στο Chill and read

Το πρώτο βιβλίο του Verdon έχει γρίφους, μυστήριο και έναν προβληματικό ντετέκτιβ. Σαν να λέμε “η συνταγή της επιτυχίας”!

“Σκέψου έναν αριθμό. Έναν οποιονδήποτε. Τώρα δες πόσο καλά γνωρίζω όλα σου τα μυστικά.” Αυτές ήταν οι τελευταίες αράδες από το γράμμα που έλαβε ο Μαρκ και τον έκανε να ανησυχήσει. Αυτό και μια σειρά από στιχάκια που τον έκαναν να ανατριχιάζει ήταν η αιτία να ζητήσει βοήθεια από τον παλιό του συμμαθητή και διάσημο ντετέκτιβ, Ντέιβ Γκάρνεϊ.

Ο Ντ
Tammy
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Given a range of 1-1000, which number would you choose if prompted, "Think of a number...?" How would you react if a total stranger could correctly guess that number on the first try? Amazed and scared? That's the premise behind this psychological thriller and it was very entertaining. If you like a book with a little intellectual "oomph," you will enjoy this one. Although I guessed the villain before the end of the story, I was stumped on how he pulled off the trick. Everything is explained and ...more
Filipa
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
M-A-R-A-V-I-L-H-O-S-O!! Um dos policiais mais bem conseguidos que li até hoje. Recomenda-se vivamente para quem gosta (adoraaaa, como eu) este género e mesmo para quem não é muito fã do género.
Dee Dee Walker
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
I just finished this book and I have to say that I was quite disapointed. I began this book with raving reviews. It wasn't until a was about half way through that I started to rethink how great this book was. I have to confess that I was totally caught up with the mystery of how the killer seems to read minds. Put quite simply, the killer ask the victim, via a letter, to think of a number and the killer professes to know what that number will be. The number is in a sealed envelope. The number is ...more
Νόρα
Καλή προσπάθεια του John Verdon να γράψει κάτι διαφορετικό.Συμπαθητικό αλλά δεν είναι από τα βιβλία που με ξετρέλαναν.Καλή ιστορία,μυστήριο,αγωνία με έξυπνους γρίφους που κρατάνε τον αναγνώστη σε εγρήγορση,αλλά λίγο κουραστικό σε ορισμένα σημεία.Ήταν λίγο περισσότερο μακρόσυρτο από ότι θα έπρεπε.Δεν ήταν τόσο καλό όσο το περίμενα.Το τέλος είναι αναμενόμενο.
Rohit Enghakat
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-thriller
Fabulous thriller. This is one author to watch out for. This was his debut novel and it was engrossing right till the end. The title was intriguing and I was expecting a roller coaster of a book. i was not disappointed.

The story is about a retired cop Dave Gurney who is contacted by one of his classmates about letters / poems received from a stranger. Next thing you know, the friend drops dead and Dave is dragged into the murder investigation. More bodies fall and Dave is involved in a chase to
Matt
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, audiobook
A sensational debut novel. It left my mind in knots and me uttering "WTF" on a regular basis.
Franco  Santos
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El primer libro de mi saga policíaca favorita. No es el mejor de la serie, en mi opinión. No obstante, es una muy buena novela, que me gustó mucho. Me encantó el tinte psicológico que le dotó a esta historia el autor.
Sé todo lo que piensas,
sé cuándo parpadeas,
sé dónde has estado,
sé adónde irán tus pasos.
Vamos a vernos solos,
señor 658.
Es un caso que no tiene ni pies ni cabeza, desborda la razón y la coherencia. Cuanto más investiga Gurney, más complejo se torna todo el asunto. El detective se
GreekReaders
Λοιπόν, ομολογώ ότι είχα μεγάλες προσδοκίες για το συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο, καθώς η ιδέα είναι πρωτότυπη και άκρως ενδιαφέρουσα. Παρόλα αυτά, δεν είχε την ανάλογη εξέλιξη, δε χρησιμοποιήθηκε σωστά από το συγγραφέα, οπότε αρκετά γρήγορα έχασε αυτή την αγωνία και το μυστήριο, χωρίς αυτό να σημαίνει ότι προδίδεται ο δολοφόνος νωρίς! Δράση - Διάλογοι σημειώσατε 2, πράγμα που προσέδωσε στο όλο εγχείρημα μια "κοιλιά", πέρα από το τέλος, που ως είθισται, έφτασε σε μια κορύφωση, πριν τη λύση του μυστηρίου.

Ε
Dionisis Karachalios

Το βιβλίο έχει ωραία δομή,και η ιστορία ξεκινάει πολύ όμορφα,ευχάριστα και στη συνέχεια δυναμικά,αφήνοντας τη φαντασία του αναγνώστη να τρέξει.Ο ρυθμός της αφήγησης ρέει εύκολα και αν το αρχίσετε πολύ πιθανόν και να το τελειώσετε σχετικά γρήγορα,καθώς θα θέλετε να δείτε τη συνέχεια,μια συνέχεια από παράξενα ποιηματάκια,στοιχάκια,και μια σειρά από φόνους,μηνύματα και γρίφους που οδηγούν στην αναζήτηση του δολοφόνου.

Έμενα μου άρεσε με καθήλωσε αν και το βιβλίο δεν μας παρουσιάζει πολλούς υπόπτους(
Emir Ibañez
Guau. John Verdon es, sin duda, una voz distinta entre tantos escritores de thrillers en la actualidad.
Tiene un estilo muy particular. Su prosa roza lo poético y lo psicológico. Sus personajes son muy bien desarrollados, así sea un testigo innecesario para la trama no pasa como uno más.

Y, bueno, el pedazo de misterio que gira en torno al libro es fascinante y... desesperante.
Hace muchísimo tiempo que no me quedaba tan enganchado a un libro policial para saber quién diablos es el asesino y qué ex
Robert
Apr 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
Think of a number between 1 and 1,000: Go on, first one that enters your head.

So John Verdon arrives on the scene with a cliche-ridden brick of a book about a genius detective whose obsessive behaviour is damaging his marriage and so he has retired from the NYPD to upstate NY where everything will be much better...if he doesn't get dragged into solving a mystery for an old college mate who is being sent freaky hand-written messages by a scary person who seems to know more about the recipient t
Aitor Castrillo
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La primera novela de Verdon me atrapó desde su premisa argumental y ya no me soltó hasta la última página. Un thriller muy recomendable y un personaje, el detective Gurney, que me dejó con ganas de leer más casos. El siguiente, No abras los ojos, me gustó incluso un poco más que este.
Vaso
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is the first book of this writer that I 've read, and I am excited!!!
A very nice story, with a lot of mystery!!!
Harry
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's 9PM and I'm thinking: "I'll lay in bed for a bit, read and call it a night. Gotta get up early, wake my daughter up, fix her lunch, get breakfast ready and then take her to school." The book I'm reading is John Verdon's latest: Let the Devil Sleep. The plate that sits on top of the chimney on the roof sends the sound of rain - like soft staccato bullets - down the chimney chute into the bedroom. I hit the power switch on my Kindle and focus on the page before me.

After reading a few hundred
Lucía SRamírez
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sé lo que estás pensando Es mi primera experiencia con el autor John Verdon y para nada fue desagradable, al contrario me encanto encontrar a un autor mas sobre el thiller policíaco, este libro me atropo cuando leí la sinopsis que en la primera oportunidad que tuve compre el libro.

Es una historia que me sorprendió lo fácil de leer que era, a pesar de tener 430 paginas, el autor escribe de una manera clara y directa y eso me ha gustado, definitivamente no sera el ultimo libro de John Verdon que v
Joe
Jun 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Think Of A Number introduces John Gurney, a recently retired NY homicide detective with a talent for hunting down serial killers. The book opens with our hero in upstate New York, residing in a picturesque house, planted in a picturesque setting. Dave's found himself a new time consuming and rather bizarre artistic hobby, which is a good thing, because his marriage is one spousal argument away from flat-lining.

Out of the blue Dave is contacted by a college buddy, who is now a life coach/spiritu
Marmara: Aklından Bir Sayı Tut 5 54 Oct 28, 2015 09:05AM
Mystery/Thriller ...: * Think of a Number Initial Comments no spoilers 22 45 Apr 10, 2015 04:57AM
goddamn jhon verdon 3 60 Sep 01, 2014 08:03AM
Goodreads Librari...: 9780141048703 2 32 Apr 01, 2013 02:49PM
  • Hades
  • While Galileo Preys (Esme Stuart #1)
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #6)
  • Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)
  • The Sculptor (Sam Markham, #1)
  • Evil In Return (Mark Tartaglia, #3)
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet (Biggie Weatherford, #6)
  • All the Pretty Dead Girls
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
  • A Curtain Falls (Simon Ziele, #2)
  • Walking the Perfect Square (Moe Prager #1)
  • Bone Thief
  • Hour of the Hunter (Walker Family, #1)
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • A Filha do Papa (Vaticano #4)
  • The Terror of Living
JOHN VERDON has held several executive positions with Manhattan advertising firms, but like his protagonist, he recently relocated with his wife to rural upstate New York.

Dave Gurney (6 books)
  • Shut Your Eyes Tight (Dave Gurney, #2)
  • Let the Devil Sleep (Dave Gurney, #3)
  • Peter Pan Must Die (Dave Gurney, #4)
  • Wolf Lake (Dave Gurney, #5)
  • White River Burning (Dave Gurney #6)
“The worst pain in our lives comes from the mistakes we refuse to acknowledge--the things we've done that are so our of harmony with who we are that we can't bear to look at them.” 14 likes
“The person I think I am is terrified of the person I really am, terrified of what others would think of that person. What would they do to me if they knew the person I really was? Better to be safe! Better to hide the real person, starve the real person, bury the real person!” 11 likes