The Selection (The Selection, #1) The Selection discussion


245 views
I HATE ASPEN!

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jessica I hate Aspen because he has far too much pride and there does not seem to be much about him. I wish America would tell him to go away and that she never wants to see him ever again. TEAM MAXON!!!


message 2: by Chelsi (last edited Aug 02, 2014 12:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chelsi Honestly, I really don't like him either. Everything he did just seemed to annoy me. I've read all the books and in The One he shows that he doesn't even believe in America yet he claimed he loved her. Not to be too hurtful or anything, but I would have much preferred if he'd died in the series. That would have been more interesting than the way it actually turned out with him, in my opinion. (I won't spoil anything :P )


message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

#TeamMaxon4TheWin


Chelsi Joyce wrote: "#TeamMaxon4TheWin"

Exactly! Love him!!!!! <3 :)


Paradose I just think Aspen didn't play an important enough role. If it's supposed to be a loove triangle, he should have been more involved in the story.
I think all he did in the books was kiss America one or two times. THey didn't have a connection, the way Maxon and America did.


message 6: by Channah (last edited Jul 27, 2014 03:09PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Channah I only read the first book, but I honestly never really saw it as a triangle. She's with Aspen, then she's with Maxon. Yeah, she and Aspen were planning to get married and whatever, but she was a teenager. She wasn't really as in love with him as she thought, and Maxon made her see that not only were there other guys in the world, but she wasn't ready for that sort of commitment.
I thought Aspen's reappearance was a huge mistake, especially since it's not like he played a big role.


Jessica Paradose wrote: "I just think Aspen didn't play an important enough role. If it's supposed to be a loove triangle, he should have been more involved in the story.
I think all he did in the books was kiss America on..."

I agree. Plus Aspen just seemed like a huge lust bunny instead of a dependable future husband.


Aria C I DISAGREE.


Ilana honestly i don't know how more involved he could have gotten in the love triangle. think about it - he was a constant presence in the sense that there was the penny jar and he was ALWAYS there guarding America because Maxon put him there.

That's not to say that i like him because i really don't - i think that he's much better suited for the ending that he was given in the series (i won't give any spoilers).

If you haven't read 'The Guard' yet though, i think that you should since it 'humanizes' him a bit more - and you get to see what he really is like - outside of his jealousy and competitive nature of trying to keep America for himself when he himself is the reason that she's gone.


✩K. B✩ I hate Aspen too. I am reading The One and 70% done! I truly wanted him dead in The Elite when the rebels attacked, when Maxon and America were alone in one of the safe room where America witnessed the wounds on Maxon's back *Awwww....*
Aspen just need her like, IDK! just to kiss her and love her. He can never be a good husband for America. On the other hand, Maxon loves America and both of them feel like themselves around each other. And that's what love should make you feel. Aspen just wants America like he wants to conquer her. Maxon wants America because he knows she deserves much more than she already has and not to forget Maxon's fist kiss, was to America and he chose her from the first night he saw her in the garden. *flashback*
But now I know America has Maxon in her heart and wants him. *mentally faints* Sad America had to lose her dad. IDK whats going to happen next but I hope she chooses Maxon and I hope Aspen will think about Anne.
I love #Amaxon
-KB


Rosalynn don't you know? the couple name is MERICA XD


message 12: by Leah (new) - added it

Leah I'm done reading the first and second. hopefully, the 3rd book will be awesome.


message 13: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe Tribley SAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I used to say "same" as a joke but then it'd get to the point where in any situation, like a sad looking dog or a car trying to pass another car but not being let in by the other cars, I'd say this. And right now just reading the whole "I hate Aspen" thing in caps.

This was my most and only appropriate reply.


message 14: by Kath (new) - rated it 1 star

Kath Don't we all?


message 15: by Kath (new) - rated it 1 star

Kath Jessica wrote: "I hate Aspen because he has far too much pride and there does not seem to be much about him. I wish America would tell him to go away and that she never wants to see him ever again. TEAM MAXON!!!"

AMEN to that


Amphitrite There is nobody that I want to strangle more than Aspen Legar. He thinks he is so awesome now that he is a palace guard and then he says he will always love America but then hits on her maid instead. Can you imagine if America chose him and then he cheats on her for Lucy he is freaking messed up!


Amphitrite Katie wrote: "Don't we all?"
Did you read Kiera Cass' interview in The Prince and the Guard? Some girl tried to bribe Kiera with her favorite writing snacks to try to get her to make America end up with Aspen


Katie I always thought he was to full of himself.It's like he expects America to continue to drool over him because he still tells her he loves her.

Also I don't believe him when he explained why he was hugging that girl in the crowd when America first left for the palace.
Also the love triangle between America, Maxon, and Aspen was extremely one sided because Aspen only kisses America a couple of times, and leaves. Maxon actually talks to her and cares for her well being (also her families well being).

I have not yet read the One, but I'm pretty sure Aspen won't be ending up with America.


Amphitrite Me too I was like please you don't need to have your arm around a girls waist to catch them if they were about to fall besides even if he did it would look more like a struggle and he would let go of her waist as soon as she stood up normally again. He was just trying to make her jealous but then changed his mind a few minutes afterwards


message 20: by emma (new)

emma Just 'cause the guy likes the girl, and the girl likes the guy, it doesn't mean they're good together. They need to balance each other out. America and Maxon do. America and Aspen... Not so much.


✩K. B✩ ET wrote: "Just 'cause the guy likes the girl, and the girl likes the guy, it doesn't mean they're good together. They need to balance each other out. America and Maxon do. America and Aspen... Not so much."

So true! I am with you on that. Aspen and America had nothing in common except the fact they both liked each other only because they knew each other long enough to think it was love. Maxon and America had a lot in common like to brake the castes and to fight for what is right and much more, they are like two poles of the magnet that attracted each other when they met in the garden that first night. (That part is like my favorite)
#TeamMaxon


Amphitrite They don't have that much in common I mean she introduced him to taking the way the castes and to fight for what was right. I think they are perfect because when she fights for something she gives it all she's got and Maxon can make what she wants happen.Also, Maxon is more reasonable he can make sure that her ideas happen but don't get to out of hand. Since America came from a lower caste she knows about most of the people's troubles, something Maxon wasn't ever allowed to know. They make a great couple and will make a great King and Queen


Mary Ann Khalil I used to be team Maxon until he made out with another girl. I know he explained why and stuff, but I can't seem to give him the same respect as before. But I really don't like Aspen still... So I'm half team Maxon and half team America. Is there another eligible bachelor to help me make a decision? :P


message 24: by Leah (new) - added it

Leah I don't get the sense of these books. Like, I was hoping something nice at the end, but shit, I looked so stupid in reading these books. A waste of time probably.


Elly,  the Martian i really hated to read about America & Aspen. I couldn't stand them together. Sometimes I just wanted to throw the book into the wall because America was sneaking around with him.. GAHH! I agree, couldn't she just tell him to leave her alone??!! I know she liked him very much, after all they were together but.. I don't know why...I just couldn't stand him in Americas presence.


Mary Ann Khalil Audrey wrote: "Mary Ann wrote: "I used to be team Maxon until he made out with another girl. I know he explained why and stuff, but I can't seem to give him the same respect as before. But I really don't like Asp..."
Ha, it's funny since the whole process of the selection is supposed to be like that, but we all thought Maxon was new to the world of relationships, so it doesn't make sense how he goes from sensitive lover to womanizer in two books. I mean, it doesn't fit together... Maxon was described as loyal and decent. It kind of contradicts itself...


Emily TBH, I'm not a huge Aspen fan. I adore Prince (hemhem KING) Maxon. But, I really don't understand all of the Aspen-hate. Like chill, the only crime he ever committed was loving America (which was treason but...).


Mya Honestly I personally love Aspen. He means well and loves America. He wants to protect her and doesn't want her to get hurt. He and America don't like that Maxon is dating other girls at the same time. And America has been with Aspen longer! I think in reality America would have choesen Aspen and wouldn't even gone in to the Selection in the first place! Maxon and Aspen both have 2 things in common: Tey both love America and want to protect her. I'm sure Maxon didn't like Aspen and Aspen didn't like Maxon. In the end it's all on America and it's what she wants. She wants Maxon then she wants Maxon. If she wants Aspen the she wants Aspen.


Delaney Macdonald Okay, I don't mind Aspen but I absolutely HATE AMERICA!!! the main character not the country. I obviously hate her. She seems really just annoying and she had Maxon in the palm of her hand and then like two days later she drifts apart from him and then she has to fight, that is all her fault she knows that she loves him!!!


Mary Ann Khalil Delaney wrote: "Okay, I don't mind Aspen but I absolutely HATE AMERICA!!! the main character not the country. I obviously hate her. She seems really just annoying and she had Maxon in the palm of her hand and then..."
Thank you! I agree, heart and soul! Sometimes, I just wanted to slap her... And Kota, but that's beside the point. The point is, she was pretty moody all the time! "Oh, I love Maxon!" "Ugh, I hate him!" "Maxon's sooooo amazing!" "Maxon broke my heart!" Come on, just make up your mind already!


Mya Mary Ann wrote: "Delaney wrote: "Okay, I don't mind Aspen but I absolutely HATE AMERICA!!! the main character not the country. I obviously hate her. She seems really just annoying and she had Maxon in the palm of h..."
I totally agree with you! America was so annoying in all 3 books! The only time I felt sorry for her was when Maxon was going to pick Kriss. It was Americas fault she didn't tell him but I felt pretty bad for her. But America has a point and sometimes doesn't have a point. But other than that I loved these books!


message 32: by Lynne (last edited Sep 16, 2014 09:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynne Stringer I didn't like Aspen much either. In spite of loving America, he didn't seem to have much confidence in her at all and didn't seem able to see her beyond the box he'd built for her.

I found America frustating in The Elite and in some of The One. Truth be told, I think it was actually Kiera Cass I was frustrated with as she seemed to be stretching the story out so it could justify three books. I think two would have fit it much better and that would have meant that America didn't have to seem so flighty going between two men all the time. She'd painted herself into a corner too, I felt, with Maxon's character. She can't have them say they love each other any earlier than they do because then Maxon will end the Selection because that's all he needs to hear and America will stop constantly running to Aspen when she's sure of Maxon's feelings. So she keeps them from saying it as long as possible to keep the books going.


Amphitrite Really you had to feel sorry for her when her dad died besides we all knew she wasn't going back to Aspen she was just trying to make a relationship out of something that was already broken. And to be fair America has to compete with so many girls over Maxon of course sometimes Aspen seemed like the easier choice, I don't blame her for trying to love Aspen again every time her and Maxon got into a fight. She had no idea when she might get kicked out so she was just basically coming up with a back up boyfriend. But in the end her love for Maxon just won over and she decided that he was worth fighting for


Angelica Cataluña SAME HERE! i wish he can be happy happy with other girl, like Lucy..
Maxon and America are just PERFECT! ok?
so....Please Aspen! GET LOST!


back to top