Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Sunday Conversation Topic 4/1

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments So we have had this topic before, but we have so many new members, I thought I would propose it again.

I'd there a literary character that most resembles you? They say opposites attract, so if this literary character became real, would you be friends? Did you notice the similarity or was it pointed out to you? Did this character teach you anything about yourself? Would you like to play this character in a movie?

Similar but kind of separate, how is reading a book where the protagonist or antagonist has your same name?

message 2: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments I'm currently reading The Dairy of Anne Frank and she does remind me a little of myself at her age when I to was just discovering my love of writing. I know I'm not the only one who's been able to relate to her so well and that many young people have it just surprised me since rarely feel so similar to someone.

As far as the other question I've only read one book where anyone (it happened to be the protagonist) had my name since I don't have a common one. It was a bit odd but for most of the book she went by I nickname and her real name (mine) was only mentioned once or twice.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I have taken several of those "which literary character are you?" quizzes. Those answers usually coincide with book characters I can relate to such as Hermione, Luna Lovegood and Demelza. I only see myself in bits and pieces of their personalities though. Out of all of them, I could see myself being friends with older versions of Demelza or Luna.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8846 comments I have responded to the character part before, and maybe a compelled I will do it again. But in terms of characters named Amy, they just never tend to be likable. Think about Little Women and Gone Girl for starters. Although I did love Amy Snow. When I was little I hated that the name was so popular, because I considered myself unique. And also all the Amy’s I met, we’re catty and unlikable. But now I have a close friend named Amy who if I had the opportunity to choose a person to model after she surely be one I would shortlist. My grandmother used to saying once in love with Amy and I always found that endearing.

message 5: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments One of my close friends is named Amy, so I have the great associations with that name!!

Yesterday I listened to a book with a character named Jolene......it was very strange since my name is unusual. I hated it as a child because my brother’s name was Michael and he had his name on everything. Alas, I didn’t!! I wasn’t named after the Dolly Parton song, but my grandparents (Jospeh and Eileen).

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8846 comments I remembered that story Jolene about your grandparents and I always loved that.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8846 comments Isn’t the lead character in Dark Matter named Jason? In this area, it’s a quite popular name. Our friend and neighbor is Jason, as is one of my closest friend’s son. An 8 year old.

message 8: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments I've only ever read one book where the main character had the same name as me and it was weird. Having a rather unusual name, I'm normally the only person of that name around. Until recently I was in a project team with another person of the same name - very disconcerting.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) I've never met another Cheryl in a book. And I don't tend to relate to characters much; they're always so adventurous, or else even more timid, than I. I do have to admit though that I'm much like Mary in The Secret Garden, especially in the beginning when she feels sorry for herself and is unlikable.

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Amy wrote: "Isn’t the lead character in Dark Matter named Jason? In this area, it’s a quite popular name. Our friend and neighbor is Jason, as is one of my closest friend’s son. An 8 year old."

Very popular name so reading a character with the name Jason is not unusual. I have two friends named Jason and went to school with several others.

I do not like the name Jason though. I would prefer to go by my middle name Kessler, but its really hard to switch unless you just move to a new place.

message 11: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I have trouble seeing myself in characters. Maybe parts, but a character that I just say is me.....never found one. For one, adventure, mystery, and thrillers I don't see those characters acting how someone would in real life. Never trusting the cops conspiracies. Withholding important information. I feel as normal people would be laying it all out. But then again, those are the people who die in those type books.

The closest I come to finding me in a book would be in a Liane Moriarty or Fredrick Backman type book, but then again, those characters are sometimes too complex and too introspective. Makes for a fun read, but I'm not that.....aware I guess.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8846 comments Jason, I wonder if you would see yourself in any of the characters in Ordinary Grace? I was just thinking about who I would pick from a book or film or TV for you. And with thinking about the qualities I was looking for, for some reason this book came to mind. It was in my top 10 last year.

message 13: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I will check it out.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I do have to admit though that I'm much like Mary in The Secret Garden, especially in the beginning when she feels sorry for herself and is unlikable. ..."

Well, you seem likable enough on Goodreads! :-)

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8846 comments I’m with Lisa! You are doing just fine here.

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments JoLene wrote: "I wasn’t named after the Dolly Parton song, but my grandparents (Jospeh and Eileen)...."

I love that JoLene!

Actually that makes me think of the cat we had growing up. My mom named her Samantha but my sister and I were supposed to pick her middle name. I wanted Samantha Jo and my sister wanted Samantha Lynn. We argued and argued about it and finally decided to name her Samantha JoLynn! :D

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments I hardly ever come across my name so I like when I get to read a book with a character that has my name. I actually have a shelf here on Goodreads for books with "Characters named Tessa/Tess". Haha.