The Sword and Laser discussion

We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (Bobiverse, #1)
This topic is about We Are Legion (We Are Bob)
We Are Legion (We are Bob) > WALWAB: Best geek reference?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4075 comments The book is chock full of references and I sat around chortling at many while reading the book.

We could try to list all of them, but actually there's Bobiverse wikis so I'm sure that's been done. So what's your fave?

For me it has to be when one of them names himself Bill. Not after any famous sf figures named Bill (although I can't think of any at the moment.) Nope, it's for the feline of Bloom County, former Presidential candidate and all around hairball-acker, Bill the Cat. Or as the new Bill puts it, "Bill D. Cat."

I've had a Bill plush for over 30 years now, from the very small amount of Bloom County consumer products Berke Breathed allowed. Love to see him ack-nowledged in fiction.

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6891 comments Mod
I like Riker. I was a big fan of TNG growing up.

Rick | 2869 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Love to see him ack-nowledged in fiction...."
/groan

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4075 comments Rob wrote: "I like Riker. I was a big fan of TNG growing up."

(view spoiler)

message 5: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "For me it has to be when one of them names himself Bill. Not after any famous sf figures named Bill (although I can't think of any at the moment.)."

The first one to come to mind for me is Bill, the Galactic Hero.

The second is Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure, not just because Keanu and Alex Winter are in the news today talking sequel. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg9ACIMFY...

message 6: by Phil (last edited Apr 01, 2018 08:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil | 1152 comments I also liked that Bill and Milo are from Bloom County although I would have gone with Opus instead of Bill.
What I've been trying to figure out is why he refers to some of the people at the convention in the beginning chapter as critters. The only critters I know of are the gremlin-type movie creatures and fans of Critical Role. Is there something obvious I'm unaware of?

message 7: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 846 comments A friend of mine called salespeople "salescritters" at least 25 years ago. I think of it as meaning "class of person we have to put up with," but I don't actually know.

Phil | 1152 comments Serendi wrote: "A friend of mine called salespeople "salescritters" at least 25 years ago. I think of it as meaning "class of person we have to put up with," but I don't actually know."

Ah, that's it then. At least one in the book was a salesperson.

Tina (javabird) | 711 comments "So logic dictated an act of desperation."

I'm a fan of Star Trek TOS.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 404 comments Yeah I enjoyed Bill and Milo. I assumed Mario was a Nintendo reference?

message 11: by Kev (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 648 comments Phineas and Ferb.

If you haven't watched that cartoon, you're missing out. It's right up there with Kim Possible for nerdiness. (They even had a crossover with the Avengers!)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 404 comments SporadicReviews.com wrote: "Phineas and Ferb.

If you haven't watched that cartoon, you're missing out. It's right up there with Kim Possible for nerdiness. (They even had a crossover with the Avengers!)"

I love Kim Possible. And I really like P&F also. Hey...where's Perry?