Far From the Madding Crowd
This topic is about Far From the Madding Crowd
Group Reads > Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1682 comments Mod
Discuss our April 2018 group read here

Jeff (thelongwait) | 128 comments I am about 50 pages in. Hardy's prose is outstanding yet not overwrought.

message 3: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am planning to do this one on audio. The version I will be listening to is the same version they have on Audible and seems to be a good narration.

Glenda | 61 comments This is yet another one I bought a few years ago and has been sitting on my to-read shelf ever since. Looking forward to starting it after I finish my current reads! And thank you to this group for giving me that gentle push (or kick, lol) to finally read the classics I own but have always found reasons to pass.

message 5: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Glenda wrote: "This is yet another one I bought a few years ago and has been sitting on my to-read shelf ever since. Looking forward to starting it after I finish my current reads! And thank you to this group for..."

We are all here for each other - together we can do anything! :)

message 6: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

So far, I am really enjoying the slight sarcasm/cynicism in the descriptions. He sounds like me trying to be funny when I describe things to my friends and family.

message 7: by Caroline (new) - added it

Caroline Robison | 1 comments Honestly I'm not a huge fan of Bathsheba...yes she's independent and headstrong and not afraid to speak up for herself nor stand her ground, but she also has several major flaws (as every well-developed character should, of course). In my opinion, Gabriel is too good for her. I don't want to spoil anything as I can see you haven't yet finished the novel, but in my opinion, the woman that Bathsheba came across to me as was that of one that knew how pretty and admired she was by many men. It's almost like she scoffs at Gabriel's display of his feelings towards her, I just want to give the poor guy a hug! I just cannot understand his initial attraction to her when she practically didn't even acknowledge his existence. Would love to talk more as you progress through the novel and what you think!

message 8: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caroline wrote: "Honestly I'm not a huge fan of Bathsheba...yes she's independent and headstrong and not afraid to speak up for herself nor stand her ground, but she also has several major flaws (as every well-deve..."

PREACH! I am not done yet, but these are my feelings exactly!

message 9: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

WOAH! If you like love triangle books and are interested in graduating to Advanced Geometry and, this book goes way beyond the triangle.

And, some of the stuff that happens to the people caught in the wake of Bathsheba and her suitors is pretty SAVAGE!

message 10: by Jeff (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeff (thelongwait) | 128 comments Bathsheba is seeking something new...beyond what she knows. Gabriel is awkward, but sweet.

Glenda | 61 comments Matthew wrote: "So far, I am really enjoying the slight sarcasm/cynicism in the descriptions. He sounds like me trying to be funny when I describe things to my friends and family."

I did a spit-take with his hair...."between that of guano and Roman cement, etc......" :D

message 12: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Glenda wrote: "Matthew wrote: "So far, I am really enjoying the slight sarcasm/cynicism in the descriptions. He sounds like me trying to be funny when I describe things to my friends and family."

I did a spit-ta..."

HA! :)

message 13: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (last edited Apr 17, 2018 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Click here for my review

I liked it a lot - but I wish it had ended differently

Brooklyn (brooklynjoe) | 69 comments I’m struggling with it - up to 50 pages in and I’m not getting used to Hardy’s writing style yet - finding myself rereading sentences to wonder what the hell he’s saying. I heard it picks up a lot after beginning? I did read Return of the Native and liked it a lot- so I think I can get into Hardy- I’ll keep trying here

Glenda | 61 comments Has anyone watched the movie? It's going to be on TCM the evening of the 19th, I may record it to watch after I finish the book.

Glenda | 61 comments Brooklyn wrote: "I’m struggling with it - up to 50 pages in and I’m not getting used to Hardy’s writing style yet - finding myself rereading sentences to wonder what the hell he’s saying. I heard it picks up a lot ..."

I would say stick with it for a bit longer. I was having problems at the beginning, found myself putting it down after a few pages. Then something just clicked and now I'm about half-way through and enjoying it.

message 17: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brooklyn wrote: "I’m struggling with it - up to 50 pages in and I’m not getting used to Hardy’s writing style yet - finding myself rereading sentences to wonder what the hell he’s saying. I heard it picks up a lot ..."

I agree that it may have taken a bit to get oriented to the writing, but after a bit I really got into it!

message 18: by Jeff (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeff (thelongwait) | 128 comments I really liked the book. I think Hardys style was very cinematic in creating a big world

Brooklyn (brooklynjoe) | 69 comments OK - just an update - with your encouragement (and perhaps the story picking up) - i did get over the hump and am enjoying reading the book now. I think when Sergeant Troy came on the scene - my interest was more piqued (as who doesn't love a scoundrel)! I'm not finding it as "deep" as Return of the Native - this one is very plot driven - but still enjoying. I read in one of the notes in my edition that Kat's last name in Hunger Games was Everdene after our heroine as Suzanne Collins loved Bathsheba's character so much.

Brooklyn (brooklynjoe) | 69 comments ....will update when I finish...

message 21: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brooklyn wrote: "OK - just an update - with your encouragement (and perhaps the story picking up) - i did get over the hump and am enjoying reading the book now. I think when Sergeant Troy came on the scene - my in..."

Wow - that is an interesting book connection fact - thanks! :)

message 22: by Jeff (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeff (thelongwait) | 128 comments I will say that the layers in the characters Hardy creates is really fascinating. The juxtaposition between the three men is stark. And BTW, the 1967 film looks to be crap from the few scenes I watched.

Brooklyn (brooklynjoe) | 69 comments Finished ! Just in time for May’s book.
My review:
So charming - had the hardest time getting into it - but then I enjoyed it very much. I kept thinking is this same Mr Hardy who usually writes such gloomy books and poems (though there are sad and gloomy moments). The feel for the surroundings and rituals and nature are so keen and beautifully written. The story is melodramatic but engaging - the settings anchor everything nicely. Also the role of Bathsheba is fascinating take on women’s roles of the day and the change that is to come but not quite yet. The feelings of the protagonists are real and earnest enough- and surprise! a happy ending. Enjoy!

message 24: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica | 109 comments I did notice the "Everdene" after a while and wondered... Thank you Brooklyn for the confirmation!