Reading the Detectives discussion

Group reads > Nominations for June 2018 group read - Winner!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 8596 comments Mod
It's time to nominate for our June group read.

You are invited to nominate books which were written in the Golden Age or which were written later but are set in the era. Just one nomination per group member, please.

message 2: by Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (last edited Mar 31, 2018 09:56AM) (new)

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) Can I nominate A Case of Blackmail in Belgravia by Clara Benson A Case of Blackmail in Belgravia (A Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventure Book 1) by Clara Benson

It's 1929, and Ticky Maltravers is the toast of London high society, adored by everyone—or so it seems, until somebody poisons him over dinner. Now it turns out that numerous people with secrets to hide had every reason to wish him dead. But which of them murdered him? For Freddy Pilkington-Soames, newspaper reporter and man-about-town, the question hits a little too close to home, thanks to an unfortunate drunken encounter with Ticky's corpse which he'd much rather the police didn't find out about—and thanks also to his exasperating mother Cynthia's seeming determination to get herself arrested by tampering with the evidence. But a pretty girl with big blue eyes is demanding his help in solving the mystery, so what can he do but agree? Now all he has to do is hide the wrong clues, find the right ones, and unmask the murderer before the police discover what's really been going on. That ought to be easy enough. If only people didn't keep getting killed... (less)

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1947 comments I would like to nominate The Polo Ground Mystery by Robin Forsythe

Mr Sutton Armadale, the financier, was shot dead on the private polo ground of his palatial home. Before expiring in his gamekeeper’s arms, he muttered the one word “murder”.

Among the suspects are Armadale’s second wife; a drunken, loud-mouthed stranger in the neighbourhood; and an irresistibly attractive ballerina. The amiable and eccentric Algernon Vereker finds the case as befuddling as a crack on the head from a polo mallet. Two witnesses were certain they heard two shots fired, yet only one spent cartridge case was found on the ground by the dead man’s body. What is the “Sutton Stakes” connection… and is a “Bombay Head” part of the solution?

message 4: by Rosina (new)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) | 695 comments Jill wrote: "I would like to nominate The Polo Ground Mystery by Robin Forsythe

Mr Sutton Armadale, the financier, was shot dead on the private polo ground of his palatial ho..."

We read the first Robin Forsythe (Missing or Murdered) a few months ago, and I haven't quite forgiven him for the bandaged wrist! The opposite of Chekov's gun - if a bandage is a telling clue, it really must be mentioned earlier than at the denouement.

But for 99p I am prepared to give this one a go ...

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 9619 comments Mod
I enjoyed Clara Benson's Sissingham Hall, so would like to try her other series.

message 6: by Judy (new)

The Freddy series is a spin-off, as he appears in some of the Angela books, but, from looking at reviews at Amazon, it looks as if it would be fine to read the Freddy books without having read all the Angela ones first.

message 7: by Judy (new)

I'd like to nominate the first Dr Thorndyke mystery by R. Austin Freeman, The Red Thumb Mark. I've been meaning to read this for ages!

The Red Thumb Mark (Dr. Thorndyke, #1) by R. Austin Freeman

It was first published in 1907 and there are various cheap editions on Amazon - it's also free from Project Gutenberg.

Here is part of the Goodreads blurb:

The clever and thrilling debut of literature’s first forensic detective

In all of London, there are few who know more about science than Dr. John Thorndyke, and fewer still who know more about crime. A “medical jurispractitioner” equally at home in the lab or the courtroom, he has made his name confronting the deadliest criminals in England with irrefutable proof of their guilt. In the case of the red thumb mark, however, Thorndyke must set his singular mind to saving an innocent man.

message 8: by Frances (new)

Frances (francesab) | 362 comments I'm not sure if this fits in your time frame but I would like to nominate The Necropolis Railway, the first in the Jim Stringer series.

message 9: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1310 comments Judy wrote: "I'd like to nominate the first Dr Thorndyke mystery by R. Austin Freeman, The Red Thumb Mark. I've been meaning to read this for ages!

[bookcover:The Red Thumb Mark|2..."

I am currently reading this one.

message 10: by Judy (new)

Frances wrote: "I'm not sure if this fits in your time frame but I would like to nominate The Necropolis Railway, the first in the Jim Stringer series."

1903 - I think that's fine, Frances, we have had others around this period. I really enjoyed this book!

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 2628 comments Mod
Frances wrote: "I'm not sure if this fits in your time frame but I would like to nominate The Necropolis Railway, the first in the Jim Stringer series."

One of my favorite series.

message 12: by Rosina (new)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) | 695 comments I don't know if it's ever been read by this Group, but I would like to nominate A Quiet Life in the Country by T E Kinsey, set in England in 1908 but a very Golden Age mystery.

message 13: by Susan (new)

No, we haven't read that, Rosina. Some great suggestions - so many that I don't think I will nominate this month. The choice is hard enough as it is!

message 14: by Judy (new)

Any more nominations? I’ll put the poll up in a couple of days.

message 15: by Sandy (new)

So many good choices this month.

message 16: by Susan (new)

As always. We are blessed with great members, who always have interesting suggestions.

message 17: by Judy (new)

The poll is now up - happy voting!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 18: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Tremblay (danielle_t) | 2 comments One Way by S.J. Morden One Way by S.J. Morden

ONE WAY opens at the dawn of a new era – one in which we’re ready to colonise Mars. But the contract to build the first ever Martian base has been won by the lowest bidder, so they need to cut a lot of corners. The first thing to go is the automatic construction… the next thing they’ll have to deal with is the eight astronauts they’ll sent up to build it, when there aren’t supposed to be any at all.

Frank – father, architect, murderer – is recruited for the mission with the promise of a better life, along with seven of his most notorious fellow inmates. As his crew sets to work, the accidents mount up, and Frank begins to suspect they might not be accidents at all. As the list of suspects grows shorter, it’s up to Frank to uncover the terrible truth before it’s too late.

message 19: by Susan (new)

Ooh, looks good, Danielle.

message 20: by Susan (new)

A Quiet Life In The Country seems to be going into an early lead. I picked that up on Audible as a Deal of the Day a while ago - so am ready if it wins :)

message 21: by Judy (new)

Yes, A Quiet Life in the Country is still winning. It's one of the small selection of books which are free to borrow on Prime Reading, if anyone has that, and is also on Kindle Unlimited, as well as being 99p to buy on Kindle - so looks like an easy one to get hold of if you have a Kindle. :)

message 22: by Susan (new)

All of the nominations this month looked really good. I would be happy to read any of them.

message 23: by Judy (new)

And the winner is... A Quiet Life In The Country by T E Kinsey.

A Quiet Life In The Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1) by T E Kinsey

Full results:

A Quiet Life in the Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1) 27 votes, 34.2%
A Case of Blackmail in Belgravia (A Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventure Book 1) 17 votes, 21.5%
The Necropolis Railway (Jim Stringer, #1) 15 votes, 19.0%
The Red Thumb Mark 12 votes, 15.2%
The Polo Ground Mystery 8 votes, 10.1%

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Amazon is selling it for $2 for the next four days.

message 25: by Judy (new)

Good timing, Sandy! Not on offer in the UK, but it is available on Kindle Unlimited and Prime Reading here.

message 26: by Susan (new)

I picked it up on Audible as a deal of the day a while ago, so have it ready.