Start by marking “A Quiet Life in the Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Quiet Life in the Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries, #1)

A Quiet Life in the Country

(Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  21,359 ratings  ·  1,794 reviews
Revised edition: This edition of A Quiet Life In The Country includes editorial revisions.

Lady Emily Hardcastle is an eccentric widow with a secret past. Florence Armstrong, her maid and confidante, is an expert in martial arts. The year is 1908 and they’ve just moved from London to the country, hoping for a quiet life.

But it is not long before Lady Hardcastle is forced ou
Published October 4th 2016 by Thomas & Mercer (first published October 4th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A Quiet Life in the Country, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) If there was a bathtub or geyser (shower) in it, then yes. That's what a bathroom was for, to take a bath in.

The toilet was called that, or the "cloak…more

The toilet was called that, or the "cloakroom", because often in large houses there was a room where people hung their coats, left their boots, etc and there would be a small room at the back of that with a toilet in it. In the 19th and early 20th century a "lavatory" was not a toilet, but a room with washstands in it, most often found at boarding schools with a paucity of plumbing. Often "lavatories" had one tap where people filled their water jugs for use at the washstand.(less)

·  21,359 ratings  ·  1,794 reviews

Start your review of A Quiet Life in the Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries, #1)
Phrynne
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-books
A gentle, pleasant historical mystery, written in the manner of an Agatha Christie novel, with murder committed in the library and lots of upstairs/downstairs comings and goings.

Lady Hardcastle and her personal maid, Armstrong, make an excellent team. Their relationship is a little different from the norm and Armstrong has hidden depths. It is all great fun, well written and very entertaining.
Brenda
Settled into their new country house, Lady Emily Hardcastle and her maid Florence Armstrong amused each other with the usual anecdotes of times past, while deciding whether to employ a couple more staff. The house was much larger than the apartment in London and Flo was sure she couldn’t manage it on her own. Lady Hardcastle soon had many callers – after all, it wasn’t often a lady resided in the vicinity; the invitations also started arriving.

But it was when a dead body was discovered in the wo
❀⊱RoryReads⊰❀
2.5 stars.

I won this book from the Goodreads Giveaways.

This is a cute, cozy mystery with two women sleuths, Lady Hardcastle and her maid/companion Miss Armstrong. It takes place in a small English village in 1908.

Lady Hardcastle has retired to the country to enjoy the quiet life when, out walking one morning, she and her maid discover a body in the woods. The usual follows; police who aren't good at their jobs, an assortment of suspects and motives, many pots of tea consumed, danger for our hero
Andrew
I wasn't sure about choosing to read this title. However I'm glad I did.

I need to be careful not to spoil the plot. So I'll ignore comment on the storyline and just comment on the writing.

T.E. Kinsey has managed to take an old tried and tested genre and bring to it a new lease of life.

Very much a period murder mystery.
At the start I thought this was a missing Agatha Christie story, but it is so much more. The author has taken the country house drama and used the ideas from the game Cleudo or th
Susan
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is 1908 and Lady Emily Hardcastle, and her maid, Florence Armstrong, have decided to settledown in a country house near the village of Littington Cotterill. It soon becomes apparent that neither are quite as traditional as might be expected. There are lots of hints about various adventures overseas and it is also clear that the women are friends, rather than servant and mistress. Referring to each other as, “ageing employer,” and “tiny servant,” they are very much a team and raise eyebrows by ...more
Ingie
Review written April 24, 2017

3.6 Stars - Cozy nicely told crime solving fiction. I chuckled and truly enjoyed a lot.

Serial book #1

A Quiet Life in the Country is the first in a cozy historical mystery serial. Got it on a chance. — Well choosed!

7:43 audiobook hours narrated by Elizabeth Knowelden.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

England 1908 about Emily, Lady Hardcastle, a 40 years old widow, and her a bit younger personal maid, Florence Armstrong. Since years both friends and companions. — Moving to the countr
Jenny
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, crime, mystery
A Quiet Life In The Country is book one in the Lady Hardcastle Mysteries by T. E. Kinsey. Lady Hardcastle decided to move from London to the country for a quieter life. However, it did not happen Lady Hardcastle became involved with the small rural community. Also, Lady Hardcastle got involved in the investigation of the death of a young man she found in the woods. The readers of A Quiet Life In The Country will follow Lady Hardcastle investigation into the murder of the young man.

A Quiet Life I
Feb 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am a very patient person, as a rule, but at nearly 30% I give up on this novel. It's slow paced and boring and I have so many other books to read. Light and fluffy historical cosy mystery that is supposed to be funny. Not.
Dana Stabenow
Emily, Lady Hardcastle and maid/paid companion/best friend/Jane of all trades Florence Armstrong (think Bunter in a skirt) move from London to the rural village of Chipping Bevington in pursuit of a quiet life. Alas or hooray, almost the very first thing they stumble over is the body of a young cricketer hanging from a tree, meant to look like suicide but speedily proven by Lady Hardcastle's acute observation to be homicide.

The joy of this book is less about the murder(s) and more about tantali
Terry Parrish
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved, loved, loved this book. Lady Hardcastle and Flo go together like bread and butter! And their more than Lady and Ladies maid. Their friends. I actually liked all of the secondary characters, too. Some were a hoot! Can hardly wait for their next adventure in the country. They thought it was going to be a little boring, but that didn't happen. You'll have to read it to find out what they got into. I would recommend this to anyone loves stories set in the early 1900's. What? They had telephon ...more
Jules
A Quiet Life in the Country is a cosy murder mystery. I loved the characters of Lady Hardcastle and her maid, Florence. Such fun, quirky and eccentric women. I found myself giggling away at some of the things they said.

This was a really easy story to listen to, and Lady Hardcastle reminded me of a posh version of Miss Marple and Agatha Raisin, so if you're fans of either of those, you'll probably really enjoy this.

I borrowed this in audiobook format through Amazon Kindle Unlimited.
HBalikov
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The time is 1908. Emily, Lady Hardcastle and her personal maid, Florence Armstrong, have resettled in Gloustershire, abandoning the night lights of London. This is a country England period piece. So, if you don't care for the following (typical) banter between two:
"All taken care of, my lady," I said. "Lamps, oil, candles, matches...alll in that tea chest over there."
"What would I do without you?"
I thought for a moment. "Starve to death, my lady, in the dark."

Then, this isn't your cup of tea. If
Ivonne Rovira
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Phryne Fisher
T.E. Kinsey had me within the first amusing ten minutes of listening to A Quiet Life in the Country, the debut book in a series featuring the mysterious Emily, Lady Hardcastle, and her sassy maid, Florence “Flo” Armstrong. After 14 years together — and some harrowing, death-defying adventures only hinted at — they’re clearly friends more than employer and employee, and their banter proves a sheer delight. But, of course, the mysteries are what really make this book shine.

A Quiet Life in the Coun
Laur💫
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable and humorous mystery as two women (Lady Hardcastle, an eccentric widow and her maid, Flo, embark on solving a murder (because the Constable is going to need some help)...and then there was 2 murders and list of suspects grows.

The book did start to drag just a bit for me some of the way through, but the chemistry with the characters was so engaging. I loved the way they bantered with each other always good-naturedly. The quick witt they each displayed was a delight (as I listened to thi
Sophia
I started with book three in this series, progressed forward, and finally took the opportunity to go back and get the first book in the series. The cozy mystery paired with historical Edwardian setting was light and whimsical.

Actually, when I started listening, I realized that the first book introduced Lady Hardcastle and her ladies' maid, Florence Armstrong along with their new home and the other regular characters, in such a way that it didn't feel like the first book so much as the first of t
Luce
4 Stars for the audible edition. Narrated by: Elizabeth Knowelden. She did a fine job narrating the 40 year old widow, Lady Emily Hardcastle and her maid and best friend, Florence Armstrong.

This is a British cozy mystery that takes place in 1908. After leading an adventurous life, the two move to the countryside, hoping for peace and quiet. It doesn't last, as they find a dead body on their first morning walk and within a week, there is another mystery to solve (I don't want to spoil it). Altho
Diana
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Quiet Life in the Country is a cozy, fun, mystery. Lady Hardcastle and her maid, Flo, are the best of friends who also seem to find adventure. Perfect for readers who prefer a mystery that is lighthearted.
Cherie
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A British cozy murder mystery time piece set in 1908. The writing has an Agatha Christie feel. This is the first in a series. The audible narration was top notch, with British accents spot on, to make you laugh out loud at some of the jabs and witty comments of the dignified and nosy Lady Hardcastle and her ladies maid, aka co-conspirator, Flo as they interject themselves into solving a murder. Highly enjoyable, resembling a sort of female fluff version of Sherlock Holmes. I have already started ...more
Alexis
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I chose this book to read with Whispersync because I wanted something quaint, light-hearted and completely unintrusive to listen to around the house.

I got exactly what I was looking for. Lady Hardcastle and her ladies' maid, Armstrong, have moved to the country to get away from what seems to have been a very exciting and mysterious life. However, they happen upon a dead body and decide to try their hands at solving the crime.

The plot is actually quite good, there are lots of suspects and the two
Bea
I giggled a lot while reading. Flo and Lady Hardcastle are both witty and snarky and have great chemistry. Flo is Lady Hardcastle's lady's maid, friend, and co-conspirator.

At first, their involvement in the first murder they investigate was spurious at best but as they're drawn into their new life in the country, they get more involved with the people and with events and soon their involvement seems inevitable. I loved how well they worked together and their relationship with Inspector Sunderla
Leslie
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, historic, ku, vocab, fun
Even without Lady Hardcastle’s scientific education I knew that being suspended by the neck on a length of sturdy rope wasn’t conducive to long life.

This is a historically set mystery by a modern author. Taking place prior to 1909 our main, and recurring, characters are Lady Hardcastle and her maid Florence Anderson. This book is both an introduction to the characters and several current mysteries. There were some points where the author may have tongue firmly planted in cheek, such as when
Lisa
I have already marked this as a favourite series as I know I will love these amusing, cosy mysteries.

Set in the 1900's the main characters are Lady Hardcastle and her 'servant' Flo - they are fabulous kick-ass girls in a time when women were just beginning to make lives of their own and the class system was in full force.

These unusual ladies made me chuckle and the story is a really good one - recommended!
Cathy Cole
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not quite sure what I expected when I plunked down my money and downloaded A Quiet Life in the Country. A modern variation of the Golden Age country house mystery? If that was it, I didn't get it. What I did wind up getting was a whole lot more. I will warn you ahead of time: if you are a fan of those classic mysteries, T.E. Kinsey's book may not be your cup of tea, and now I'll set about telling you why.

Kinsey has written a good, puzzling, multi-layered mystery that gives you a real feel fo
Lee
This book told in the first person point of view of Flo Armstrong who is a lady’s maid to Lady Emily Hardcastle. Flo and her employer have just returned to England after a series of hinted-at adventures in India and China. The quiet life in the country they thought they’d have upon returning to England doesn’t eventuate, however, when they stumble across a dead body and soon after get entangled in the subsequent investigation.

The speed Flo and Lady Hardcastle are taken into the police's confide
Abigail Bok
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
It’s 1908; Emily, Lady Hardcastle, and her personal maid, Flo Armstrong (the first-person narrator), have decided to retire from London to the country. Right away the reader senses there’s something different about this pair. Armstrong is scarcely a deferential servant, and Lady Hardcastle is no die-away lady. They settle in briskly, ready for peace and quiet, but on their very first walk in the countryside they encounter a dead body.

Both women are perhaps relieved, as hints of their adventurous
Thomas Ray
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Topping!

I enjoyed this lovely mystery so much that as soon as I finished it I re-read it. It's a perfect little escape. The characters are well drawn and immensely likable. The language and expressions used are occasionally laugh-out-loud funny. A real treat. So looking forward to the further adventures of Lady Hardcastle and Miss Armstrong.
Marina
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
I nearly gave up on this book, at around 30 % , because it didn’t seem to be going anywhere. I know many readers enjoy the witty banter between Lady Hardcastle and her maid, but I just found it slowed everything down. Also, I really couldn’t picture them at all …for a while I thought they were two old women, but later, I realised that wasn’t so.
I persevered, largely because I’d read many positive reviews of this book, and I did get more involved in the story. But ultimately, I’d only describe i
Susan in NC
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars for a fun, funny, quirky new (to me) detective team, Lady Hardcastle and her friend and lady’s maid, Florence Armstrong. This is their debut.

The mysteries presented are rather straightforward- Lady Hardcastle and Flo, after some strongly hinted at but unclear past intrigues, are looking for a quiet life in the country. The book opens as they are settling into a new home in Gloucestershire - Lady H has various hobbies she looks forward to pursuing, and Flo is hoping to relax (from what,
Michelle
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
good start to a cozy series.
Carol
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally got a #1 book series. Yea, life is good. This book, "A Quiet Life in the Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1)".

T.E. Kinsey had me hooked within the first amusing ten minutes of listening to "A Quiet Life in the Country", the debut book in a series featuring the mysterious Emily, Lady Hardcastle (M'lady), and her sassy Ladies Maid, Florence “Flo” Armstrong. After 14 years together — and some harrowing, death-defying adventures only hinted at — they’re clearly friends more than employe

• Tragedy at Piddleton Hotel (Churchill & Pemberley #1)
  • Murder at Melrose Court: A 1920s Country House Murder (Heathcliff Lennox Book 1)
  • The Black Cat Murders: A Cotswolds Country House Murder (Heathcliff Lennox Book 2)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Mydworth Mysteries  #1)
  • Murder at the Mousetrap (Bunburry #1)
  • The Heiress of Linn Hagh (Detective Lavender Mysteries, #1)
  • The Curse of Braeburn Castle: A Scottish Castle Murder Mystery (Heathcliff Lennox Book 3)
  • A Man of Some Repute (A Very English Mystery #1)
  • Murder in Cold Mud (Churchill & Pemberley #2)
  • A Question of Inheritance (A Very English Mystery #2)
  • Puzzle in Poppleford Wood (Churchill and Pemberley Series Book 3)
  • Death in Damascus: A 1920s Murder Mystery with Heathcliff Lennox
  • A Matter of Loyalty (A Very English Mystery #3)
  • A Little Night Murder (Mydworth Mysteries #2)
  • Murder at Enderley Hall (A Miss Underhay Mystery #2)
  • The Sculthorpe Murder (Detective Lavender Mysteries #3)
  • The Sans Pareil Mystery (Detective Lavender Mysteries #2)
  • Murder in Park Lane (Detective Lavender Mysteries #5)

Lady Hardcastle Mysteries (7 books)
  • In The Market For Murder (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #2)
  • Death Around the Bend (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries, #3)
  • A Picture of Murder (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries, #4)
  • The Burning Issue of the Day (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries, #5)
  • Death Beside the Seaside (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries, #6)
  • The Fatal Flying Affair (A Lady Hardcastle Mystery #7)