Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVES > The Best Book I read in March was...

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jemima (last edited Mar 30, 2018 01:40PM) (new)

Jemima Pett | 1357 comments Mod
This is the thread to tell us about the best middle grade book(s) you read in March. Hopefully it'll give the rest of us some inspirations.

Discussion welcome.

I confess that although I got through six books in March, none of them were MG. I have a serious deficiency of MG books near the top of my TBR list at present. I'll be reading March's BOTM in April, though!

message 2: by C.J. (last edited Mar 30, 2018 04:15PM) (new)

C.J. Milbrandt (cjmilbrandt) | 127 comments Mod
My favorite MG books from March were Iron Hearted Violet by Kelly Barnhill (who wrote The Girl Who Drank the Moon), The Fairy-Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm, #1) by Michael Buckley (which is along the same lines as Fablehaven, but which I liked *much* better), and The Spindlers by Lauren Oliver, in which a girl must brave dangers and trials Below in order to rescue her brother, whose soul was snatched by the spindlers. All very good and heartily recommended!

Iron Hearted Violet by Kelly Barnhill The Fairy-Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm #1) by Michael Buckley The Spindlers by Lauren Oliver

message 3: by Harley (new)

Harley Bennett | 84 comments I read several MG books in March. My favorite (which happens to be my all-time favorite) was The Old Willis Place by Mary Downing Hahn. Princess Ben by Catherine Gilbert Murdock and The Secret School by Avi are two others that I find exceptional among my March reads.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1662 comments Mod
I didn't read a lot of MG in March. Our BOTM was excellent, as was the book I just finished today--Lucky Broken Girl Lucky Broken Girl by Ruth Behar

message 5: by Raquelle (new)

Raquelle Element (elementray932) | 28 comments C.J. wrote: "My favorite MG books from March were Iron Hearted Violet by Kelly Barnhill (who wrote The Girl Who Drank the Moon), The Fairy-Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm, #1) by Michael Buckley (which is al..."

The Sisters Grimm is one of my all time favorites.

message 6: by Raquelle (new)

Raquelle Element (elementray932) | 28 comments I read Framed! by James Ponti. Framed!For any mystery lovers this was good and I can't wait to read the next book. Let's see moving on to steampunk fantasy (is that even a genre), I read The Mark Of The Dragonfly By- Jaleigh Johnson and the world Johnson had created was amazing. The Mark of the DragonflyLast but not least I had finished The Honest Truth by Dan Gemeinhart and it was ten times better than The Fault In Our Stars (I was meh with TFIOS). It was different yet similar to TFIOS The Honest Truth Wow, I read a lot of MG books in March.

message 7: by Raquelle (new)

Raquelle Element (elementray932) | 28 comments Ray wrote: "I read Framed! by James Ponti. Framed!For any mystery lovers this was good and I can't wait to read the next book. Let's see moving on to steampunk fantasy (is that even a genre), I..."

Oh I forgot to add about the two books told in verse I also read. Those are becoming really popular for MG. So first I read Flying in a Cage by Melody J. Bremen about an autistic girl finding her way through life with music in her soul. Second is Full Cicada Moon by Marilyn Hilton about a biracial girl living in the 1970s. Both good reads,

message 8: by Justine (new)

Justine Laismith (justinelaismith) | 304 comments Ray wrote: "I read Framed! by James Ponti. Framed!For any mystery lovers this was good and I can't wait to read the next book. Let's see moving on to steampunk fantasy (is that even a genre), I..."
I read The Honest Truth too! I enjoyed it and would say it's the MG version of The Fault in Our Stars.
I also finally got round to reading Greenglass House, which was Book of the Month some time last year. Loved it too. Great plot twist at the end.

message 9: by Raquelle (new)

Raquelle Element (elementray932) | 28 comments Justine wrote: "Ray wrote: "I read Framed! by James Ponti. Framed!For any mystery lovers this was good and I can't wait to read the next book. Let's see moving on to steampunk fantasy (is that even..."

Oh yah me and my friend didn't see the plot twist for Greenglass House Are you going to try out the sequel Ghosts of Greenglass House ??

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

I agree about The Honest Truth. I liked it quite a bit, judging by my review. I also noted that while our library put it in YA, it felt more MG to me and I recommended it for ages 11 up.

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

I keep meaning to get hold of the sequel for Greenglass House. Thanks for the reminder!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.