Start by marking “Framed! (Framed #1)” as Want to Read:
Framed! (Framed #1)

Framed!

(Framed #1)

Get to know the only kid on the FBI Director’s speed dial and several international criminals’ most wanted lists all because of his Theory of All Small Things in this hilarious start to a brand-new middle grade mystery series.

So you’re only halfway through your homework and the Director of the FBI keeps texting you for help…What do you do? Save your grade? Or save the coun
Published August 26th 2016 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about Framed!, please sign up.

Start your review of Framed! (Framed #1)
Cyndi
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those perfect books for preteens. It has great characters, excellent writing and a mystery to solve.
I love the friendship between Florian and Margaret. Books should show more boy/girl friendships.
Florian is such a great character! He's smart and happy. He's respectful to adults and actually thinks his parents are intelligent. I would definitely recommend this book to a preteen or older. They would enjoy the story and characters without even knowing they are learning a great ch
Stuart
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a simply marvelous book. I could go on and on about the excellent plot or the wonderful characters or the incredible cleverness of Florin Bates, but here is the highest praise I can give: My children not only loved this book, but they started emulating the main characters. In the book, Ponti's heroes use a system called TOAST: Theory Of All Small Things. This is essentially paying very close attention to details and trying to observe the world as closely as possible, and then make deduct ...more
Austin Poulin
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
When I first saw the book I didn't think that I would like it but after reading for a while I started to like it. In the book there is a big challenge that the character faces which gave the book depth. Throughout the book there was adventures and smaller challenges that the character had to face all leading to the mystery. It was also fun to try to think about the mystery and put the clues together as the book went along. I recommend this book to anyone who is looking for mystery book with humo ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Twelve-year-old Florian has moved again and, to cope, puts into play the technique he calls TOAST, Theory Of All Small Things, looking closely at all the tiny details of life to make inferences about bigger things. He meets the clever Margaret, and he and she quickly set up their own detective agency to solve problems. And, almost inadvertently, Florian and Margaret find themselves working with the FBI itself on a case that involves stolen paintings and crime lords. You can't help but admire the ...more
Liesl Shurtliff
Sherlock Holmes for middle-schoolers. Florian Bates is such a likable, interesting character and the plot is fast-paced and exciting. Kids will love this book!
AMY
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grade 5 and up
292 pages. This book is well-written and keeps moving. Kids will enjoy reading it to find out what Florian will figure out next. He is working for the FBI as a seventh-grader on a special art heist case. There are lots of twists and turns on this journey. I loved the final surprise near the end…in fact, I reacted out loud and others in the room said, “What???” I said, “That was quite a shocking moment in my story…” You will figure out what I mean if you read it through. I think it has lots of in ...more
Lesley
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Florian is a "young Sherlock Holmes" and teaches his ways to his BFF Margaret. They come to the notice of the FBI when they help solve an art heist. But the case isn't as open and shut as it first appeared and now it seems Florian is entangled with a Eastern European crime syndicate.

I really enjoyed the friendship between Florian and Margaret. It was a pretty cool mystery and I'm glad to have this in my back pocket the next time someone asks for one.

P.S. The Czech Republic is in CENTRAL Europe,
Jaylene
I really like this book it is FULL of action so if you are someone who likes action-packed books then this is the book for you!
TimC
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a book about T.O.A.S.T. Not the thing you spread butter on but the theory of all small things. This theory basically adds up everything very small and puts them together to unveil a bigger truth. An example of this in the book is Napoleon's candle. The clock in the background reads 4:13 but there is a candle lit so it's 4:13 a.m..

The story is about strong friendships and it is just a fun book to read. It's a good example of how strong friendships can grow. I also recommend this to
Zoe Gonzales
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I recently read "Framed" by James Ponti and it was the best book i've ever read. I would recommend it to anyone who likes a mystery or fiction.

In the book, the main characters name is Florian Bates. He's 12 years old and he and his parents just moved to Washington D.C because his parents got jobs at the museum. He meets his new neighbor, Margaret, and they become best friends and both are in the same class at Alice Deal Middle School.

Florian is really really smart. He has developed a philosoph
Jessica
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
I really enjoyed this book. It is a cross between a modern retelling of a Sherlock Holmes story and Encyclopedia Brown. The two main characters are both strong and the mystery is interesting and complex enough to keep you guessing. I would definitely recommend this as a great mystery for middle schoolers, boy or girl.
Ms. B
Florian is a modern day Encyclopedia Brown. Using his trademark TOAST (Theory of All Small Things) technique, he and his best friend Margaret find themselves helping the FBI to find out who stole some valuable paintings from the National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C. Can you figure out this whodunnit before they do?
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Framed is a fun mystery surrounding a young boy and his new friend who end up consulting for the FBI.

Florian is a very observant young man and he calls it T.O.A.S.T or Theory of All Small Things. Basically it's taking note of all the small things around you and being able to figure out things about people.

Florian and his family just moved to a new town and when he first meets Margaret he TOAST her and instead of thinking he was weird she wanted to learn so they hang out and go to an art gallery
Kales
This book is perfect for fans of CHASING VERMEER and THE WESTING GAME. It's like Percy Jackson's tone dropped into one of those clever ENCYCLOPEDIA BROWN mysteries. It's funny that I enjoy those kinds of mysteries from my childhood, rather than the adult authors like James Patterson, Harlan Coben, or C J Box. But this one is fun and provides a great mystery.

Florian becomes a FBI agent, a la Cody Banks but if you can suspend disbelief then it's an enjoyable story. He uses Sherlock Holmes's techni
Rachel Rooney
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, jf, ds2, 2017
A 2018-2019 Missouri Mark Twain Readers Award preliminary nominee (grades 4-6).

Twelve-year old Florian Bates's Theory Of All Small Things (T.O.A.S.T.) is just a fun thing that he likes to do until he and his friend Margaret uncover a mystery at the National Gallery that leads to Florian becoming a consultant for the FBI.

This was a fun, quick read. Both my son and I enjoyed it. Highly recommended. Also, my hovercraft is full of monkeys.
Garrett Gaudin
This was a great mystery book. I don't usually read mystery books but this was a good book. Florian has just moved yet again with his family and is starting a new school year. Florian has a special way of thinking about things that can help him solve many problems most people wouldn't be able to solve. The FBI finds him and realizes how much of a useful tool he could be to help them solve some serious crimes. So, when paintings start to go missing he is on the job to try and find who done it. Wi ...more
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
So glad I found this charming mystery. I was looking for a book by an author with my initials for this years reading challenge and couldn’t bring myself to read James Patterson or Jodi Picoult. I perused several shelves and happily found this one in junior fiction. I hope the library has the next in the series.
Caitlin Zonder
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this one, although initially I was skeptical. A 12-year old working for the FBI seemed a little unbelievable. I got over it very quickly and thoroughly enjoyed the story. I loved Florian and Margaret’s friendship. Being adopted myself, I really understood Margaret’s feelings. Glad this is a series!
Noral
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting. I think this story is a fantasy and dreams for every 9 to 11 year old smart girls and boys. Its fun and cute.

When i read it on the earlier pages, i tought of my nephew, Fahim. He should read this book.. it would be good for him to learn english...
Shiselle Carolina
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I’m an adult and this book kept me on the edge of my seat. The characters were relatable, and there was enough action and suspense to keep me hooked. The ending was a little predictable but still good. I will def be reading book #2.
Alice-Anne
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My boys and I LOVED this story. About a 12yo boy who is a consultant for the FBI bc of his knack for noticing small details most miss. We listened to by audio book and it was so hard to stop when we had to! We are so looking forward to the other books I the series!
Ellen
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book
Very enjoyable and cute twist on a Sherlockian character. Looking forward to reading the next in the series. Great introduction for kids to the mystery genre.
ChristyC_E2
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book for me because of all the surprising details. What was interesting was how smart the protagonist was despite the fact that he was also a twelve years old 7th grader. Every time the protagonist makes a new discovery, it just makes me want to continue reading. However, although the protagonist made many discoveries throughout the book, my favorite one was the one at the very end. It was a surprising ending, but it also teaches a theme.
It reminded me that sometimes, peo
Noral
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book. It is fun to read it.
I think i will keep this book for my nephew, Fahim. He should read it one day too..
Margot
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and the way it pulls you into the charecters story.
Aiden.M
The theme of this book is no matter where you come form or how old you are you can accomplish great things
Meredith
What fun! Florian is a cross between Sherlock Holmes and a Jr. James Bond (although he's better at the former). We need more smart middle-grade mysteries. Although the tattoo identification was kind of a stretch. Anyways, looking forward to book 2. ...more
Kate Kluegel
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolute hoot!!
Donna
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable Young Reader mystery.

I was visiting an indie book store in Winter Park, FL (Writer's Block) and overheard people talking about this book, and decided that I needed to read it and pass it on to a young neighbor.

I think I'll check out the next in the series as well!
Jill Flanagan
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm looking for a new book from the mystery genre to read to my 5th grade class, and this was great fun. A 12-yo with Sherlock Holmes skills helping the FBI solve an international art theft. ...more

• Charlie Thorne and the Last Equation
  • Belly Up (FunJungle, #1)
  • Poached (FunJungle, #2)
  • Spy School Revolution
  • Tyrannosaurus Wrecks (FunJungle, #6))
  • Crisis Zero (The Codename Conspiracy, #3)
  • Countdown Zero (The Codename Conspiracy, #2)
  • Big Game (FunJungle, #3)
  • Spy School (Spy School, #1)
  • Codename Zero (The Codename Conspiracy #1)
  • Spaced Out (Moon Base Alpha #2)
  • The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse
  • Spy Camp (Spy School #2)
  • Super Puzzletastic Mysteries: Short Stories for Young Sleuths from Mystery Writers of America
  • The End of the Wild
  • Traitor's Chase (The Last Musketeer, #2)
  • Lion Down (FunJungle, #5)
  • Spy Ski School (Spy School #4)
James Ponti is the New York Times Bestselling author of three Middle Grade book series: the DEAD CITY trilogy about a secret society that polices the undead who live beneath New York City; the Edgar Award-winning FRAMED! series about a pair of Sherlockian tweens who solve mysteries in Washington, D.C.; and the all-new CITY SPIES about an unlikely squad of five kids from around the world who form a ...more

Framed (3 books)