The Agatha Christie Reading Group discussion

Monthly Group Member Pick Sign-up

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candace (new)

Candace (cprimackqcom) My October pick is A Duty To The Dead book one in the Bess Crawford series by Charles Todd. (Pending Lauren's approval...)

The reason for my choice was
1. Lauren has given us an opportunity to pick nonAC books; I'm sure there are many other series out there that are similar in nature and I wanted to take the opportunity to search some out and would love to learn of some from others .
2. I began by looking at recent winners of the Annual Agatha Christie award and found that the most recent "historical " AC award was given to one of the later Bess Crawfords in the series. Because Todd's Ian Rutledge series is hugely successful, I decided to give Bess #1 a try.
3. This book has been out long enough that it is easily accessible anywhere. (I found it at both my new and used local book stores.)

Looking forward to reading it with you in October,
Candace

message 2: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Noble Sorry, I have lost track here, What is the September extra read. I know I should have been paying attention

message 3: by Cindy (last edited Aug 29, 2014 07:59PM) (new)

Cindy | 35 comments The Seven Dials MysteryOops sorry! I seem to be a bit late.
Okay...I have just picked up The Seven Dials Mystery (Superintendent Battle #2) by Agatha Christie . Does that sound good?? If not, I can certainly pick something else. :)

message 4: by C. J. (new)

C. J. Scurria (goodreadscomcj_scurria) | 363 comments Mod
Cindy wrote: "The Seven Dials MysteryOops sorry! I seem to be a bit late.
Okay...I have just picked up The Seven Dials Mystery (Superintendent Battle #2) by Agatha Christie. Does that sound good?? If not, I can certainly pic..."

I don't think you are too late Cindy. Plus, it looks interesting!

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 35 comments Oh good!! Well, if nobody minds, this is what I would like to pick!! :)

message 6: by Reija (new)

Reija | 41 comments Oh, I like read that too even if I would prefer Marple comeback. It is interesting to see how new writer captures Agatha's style.

message 7: by C. J. (new)

Ooh, I have an idea for the future books of this group but I guess I will put that in "feedback" thread. :)

message 8: by Alberto (last edited Nov 28, 2014 06:53AM) (new)

Alberto | 49 comments There doesn't seem to be a pick for December yet. How about The Pale Horse (the only novel where Ariadne Oliver appears without Poirot)?

message 9: by Alberto (new)

Alberto | 49 comments The Pale Horse

Published 1961. Goodreads lists it as Ariadne Oliver #5, but I am looking forward to reading it because it's the only novel with Ariadne that does not include Poirot.

message 10: by Malcolm (new)

Malcolm Noble I wonder if people would like to read one of the other big four (Allingham, DLS, Ngiao Marsh) as a monthly pickup? Unless anyone has another preference, I would suggest Have His Carcase by DLS ro More Work For the Undertaker by Allingham. What do you think, folk?

message 11: by Alberto (new)

Alberto | 49 comments I dont know the specific book you mentioned but I'd love to read some DLS.

message 12: by Raymunda (new)

Raymunda (raymundaj) Hi, I'm new to the group but I'd be happy to participate and choose a book for February or the next month you have available :)

message 13: by Raymunda (new)

Raymunda (raymundaj) Ok.
Does this one count? Three Blind Mice and Other Stories , it's a short story collection with Poirot, Marple and others. It's supposed to be very good!

If not, I'd choose The Man in the Brown Suit by Agatha Christie, or The Trouble with Harry by Jack Trevor Story. I've seen the Hitchcock's movie and I think it can be a fun and interesting read.

What do you think?

message 14: by Raymunda (new)

Raymunda (raymundaj) Lauren wrote: "We haven't read a short story collection since early last year so I think Three Blind Mice would be great!"

Great!

message 15: by C. J. (new)

Hi, Lauren! I was just wondering out of curiosity if you would put up somewhere which months have choices for the additional books and which us members have yet to pick?

message 16: by Ems ☕️ (new)

Ems ☕️ | 5 comments Hi everyone,

I'd love to get more involved in the group and for that I'd be happy to choose a book for the upcoming months if it's still possible.

Have a nice day/evening all :)

Ems

message 17: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 121 comments Great thread - will definitely participate in additional book choices as soon as I can!

message 18: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 121 comments Well I'm always partial to September so maybe then?

message 19: by Ems ☕️ (new)

Ems ☕️ | 5 comments Well my choice's Cards on the Table if that's okay with all of you. :)

message 20: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 121 comments What about a Tommy & Tuppence one for September? "By The Pricking Of My Thumbs?" I've read it already but it's my favourite featuring the husband and wife crime fighting duo :)

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris (kitties) | 3 comments Hi, I just finished The Mirror cracked from Side to Side. It was very good and did not figure out who the real murderer was. Miss Marple is too smart for me!

message 22: by C. J. (new)

Hey Lauren are you still doing sign-ups? And which month is available?

message 23: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 121 comments I'm so glad "By The Pricking of My Thumbs is coming up - I've been wanting to re read it and what better way to kick off my binge read/re read athon than with this? I'm excited for you all to share your thoughts on it :)

message 24: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 121 comments Yes please :D

message 25: by C. J. (new)

Hi Lauren! Thanks for responding.

You said we could choose a non-Christie story as long as we thought it would be a book we think others would like. For October I choose "Mr. Monk Goes to Hawaii" by Lee Goldberg. Once you start this one, you will probably note how many elements to these mysteries are Christie-like. I hope people will enjoy!

Oh and Brooklyn. My bro is reading that book "By The Pricking of My Thumbs." He hasn't finished it but he likes it a lot!

message 26: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn Tayla (bookishbrooklyn) | 121 comments Whoo hoo :D Allon-sy! (it's French for let's go) :D kudos to anyone who's picked up the Doctor Who reference :)

message 27: by C. J. (new)

You are welcome Lauren!

message 28: by Annamarie (new)

Annamarie (planewxgirl) | 59 comments Maybe for October think about Anne Perry's William Monk series. The Face of a Stranger is the 1st in the series of William Monk. I think it is an excellent series. Set in the mid 1800's. It is a great Victorian series.

message 29: by Annamarie (new)

Annamarie (planewxgirl) | 59 comments Lauren, That sounds great to me! Any book is a good book to read! Im game! Mr Monk Goes to Hawaii! Im all over it!

message 30: by Candace (new)

Candace (cprimackqcom) Hi! My resolution this year is to cut back on chores so that I have time for Agatha Christie! Yay! I'm always watching the group even when I'm not here...Ive Heard A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth George is one of the best English mysteries . I've read a lot of different good things about her and I'd like to finally try her and find out which one is true (or all of them!) If she's is good as my last nom, I'll be happy,which was Charles Todd's Bess Crawford series. Whichever month you'd like to place it Lauren is great, and I've been watching, I hope I didn't miss the group reading it...?

message 31: by Candace (new)

Candace (cprimackqcom) Malcolm wrote: "I wonder if people would like to read one of the other big four (Allingham, DLS, Ngiao Marsh) as a monthly pickup? Unless anyone has another preference, I would suggest Have His Carcase by DLS ro M..."

I love the idea of reading some other authentic golden age authors. I've been checking out my used book store for Allingham and Marsh and others. I think people must hold onto these books because they are not easy to come by yet I read that they are well loved by their fans just as Christie is (though there may not be as MANY fans:)

I got out my reference book for the golden age authors. It gives the top 5 books for each author. For Allingham, The Tiger in the Smoke is her most famous and the one Malcolm listed is also listed.
I have wanted to read Ngaio Marsh for awhile because her readers talk about her like she is a god. In fact, this book calls her novels "picture-perfect examples of the genre" .A Man Lay Deadis the first in her Detective Alleyn's series. I hope to read them sometime this year.

message 32: by Anwen (new)

Anwen | 18 comments Oooooh I love the golden age female writers. I reread my Allinghams, Marshes, Sayers and Wentworths till they fall to pieces (I would also include Heyer's crime novels here; very different in feel but stonking reads). Allingham is a master of the supernatural element, whilst Marsh is a great observer of human nature. Sayers is a fantastic writer, even if she does fall in love with her main creation a little bit too much. Wentworth is a great commentator on the class structure of her time. Love all these books so much!

message 33: by Anwen (new)

Anwen | 18 comments Lauren, if you're looking for a Marsh, I'd start with Artists in Crime - not the first book, but probably the first where the series gels with all the soon to be established characters appearing. It is also where Alleyn meets the love of his life - and she's a possible suspect in a particularly nasty murder... Although A Man Lay Dead is a good book, as this is the first in the series Marsh is still finding her way, and the absence of one particular character is, for me, a gaping hole at the heart of the tale...

message 34: by Candace (new)

Candace (cprimackqcom) I'd love to read it also Lauren. Should this be February's book? Or do you just want to make it a side read? I think it will be neat to look at Christie with some other "Golden Age " writers. I'm reading them in this 'British writers in crime' series. They pick great writers that have been out of print and are re-publishing them. And I can't believe how authentic the time is in them- because they really were written in the 30s or 40s haha. Death on the Riviera: A British Library Crime Classic but it won't be published until March. I'm reading another now but I've forgotten the title - it's a locked room. They are gems. I'm sure others are already out. I just discovered them at NetGalley. My point is I love these Golden Age authors!

message 35: by Marcie (last edited Aug 27, 2016 07:24AM) (new)

Marcie I just finished the first book last week so I'm definitely looking forward to this one! The Seven Dials Mystery.

message 36: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Brown | 26 comments Hi, I think I'm too late to pick a book, but I would like to be make a recommendation, hope thats ok. I think a lot of Christie fans would enjoy The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes, the stories are small and very intriguing. Some are Murder Mysteries, others are thefts, kidnapping, puzzles, cryptic, etc. each one is very unusual and I think you'd enjoy them. Elementary, my dear Watson. Hahaha

message 37: by Kris (new)

Kris | 30 comments How about "One For The Money" by Janet Evanovich? I read it years ago and loved it! It centers around Stephanie Plum, a bounty hunter, who finds herself playing detective for many cases. She gets herself involved in many funny situations as well. My favorite character is her best friend Lulu. Lulu is very street smart and ALWAYS needs a bucket of KFC Chicken to help her remember key facts about a case!

message 38: by Kris (new)

Kris | 30 comments Oh and it may be best to start with the first book, "One For The Money".

message 39: by C. J. (new)

I've always been fascinated by that series, wondering what it's like. And I hope this gets picked too for whichever available month it is!

message 40: by C. J. (new)

Hoping Lauren gets to see this! :)

message 41: by Kris (new)

Kris | 30 comments My parents are avid fans of the series, me not so much. She writes two series with the same characters, one is a holiday-themed series. I prefer the regular series, the books that are entitled "One For The Money", "Sizzling Sixteen", etc.

message 42: by Reija (new)

Reija | 41 comments I have seen the movie version with Katherine Heigl. Names seem to same but plot line maybe diffirent at least I think it was something love stuff. But yay, this is actually translated and my library has copy.

message 43: by C. J. (new)

Kris wrote: "My parents are avid fans of the series, me not so much. She writes two series with the same characters, one is a holiday-themed series. I prefer the regular series, the books that are entitled "One..."

Yeah that's like me. My mom loves this series too!

message 44: by Kris (new)

Kris | 30 comments Yeah the book does differ drastically from the movie. In my opinion, the book was better.

message 45: by Kris (new)

Kris | 30 comments You're welcome! I'll let you know of any others I have. I have 2 new ones, both by the same author that are supposed to be funny, but I haven't read them yet. One is "The Hen Of The Baskervilles" and I forgot what the other is. They're both by Donna Andrews, who also wrote "We'll Always Have Parrots". Haven't read any of them yet, will let you know if they're any good.

message 46: by C. J. (new)

Hey I just thought of this (mostly by the fact that a member of my family, my mom, has a copy of this book and in just a month it will be October!) but do you have October picked yet for this year?

If not, I wonder out of curiosity if Leslie Meier's book "Wicked Witch Murder" is any good? I hope to read it soon no matter how it turns out (and plus I guess I want to pick it for this group too) for October!