Start by marking “The Man in the Brown Suit (Colonel Race #1)” as Want to Read:
The Man in the Brown Suit (Colonel Race #1)

The Man in the Brown Suit

(Colonel Race #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  69,130 ratings  ·  1,371 reviews
Newly-orphaned Anne Beddingfield came to London expecting excitement. She didn't expect to find it on the platform of Hyde Park Corner tube station. When a fellow passenger pitches onto the rails and is electrocuted, the 'doctor' on the scene seems intent on searching the victim rather than examining him . . .

Armed with a single clue, Anne finds herself struggling to unma
Paperback, Agatha Christie Collection, 381 pages
Published 2002 by HarperCollinspublishers (first published August 22nd 1924)

To ask other readers questions about The Man in the Brown Suit, please sign up.
tangledknots Oh, you don't. This site is mainly for book reviews and organsing reading goals in a reading community. However, you can find the book if you make a…moreOh, you don't. This site is mainly for book reviews and organsing reading goals in a reading community. However, you can find the book if you make a Google search adding the word "pdf" in the end of it. You might or might not find a free online copy.
Hope this helped :)(less)

·  69,130 ratings  ·  1,371 reviews

Ahmad Sharabiani
The Man in the Brown Suit (Colonel Race #1), Agatha Christie
The Man in the Brown Suit is a work of detective fiction by Agatha Christie, first published in the UK by The Bodley Head on 22 August 1924 and in the US by Dodd, Mead and Company later in the same year.
Orphan Anne Beddingfeld, in search of adventure, follows the clue in a note from the pocket of a murder victim. Her journey takes her on an ocean voyage from London to Africa, and finally to a lost island, on the trail of stolen diamond
carol.
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of Christie thrillers
In the spirit of Read All the Christies, I ordered this after seeing it in someone's feed. Could have been my mood, but I found that it didn't sustain my interest. I've been reading Christie for a long time, so it's not like I opened it with expectations of heart-pumping action. I'd say I gave the first seventy or so pages a solid effort, but it never really caught me.

Part of it was definitely as Miriam noted in her review, that of connection with the lead, a young woman who wants 'adventure.'
Erin
The first in the Colonel Race series, the story began on an intriguing note with a very cryptic discussion about double crossing a spy. We then flip to meeting Anne Bedingfield who becomes involved in the intrigue after witnessing an incident that could be tied to a recent murder. Soon Anne is on a ship bound for South Africa with a host of different characters. One of them being Colonel Race and the other being Sir Eustace Pedler whose diary entries break up Anne's narrative.

This was a slow bu
emily
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it

My first encounter with Agathie Christie's work was not a disappointment - although, perhaps, it is not one of her most popular books, it was certainly an enjoyable entry into this genre.

Think Africa and diamonds and adventure and mystery - welcome to 'The Man in The Brown Suit'.

What I liked:

✔-The fact that it was set in South Africa. Everybody's heard the famous say
Ivonne Rovira
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Before there was Miss Jane Marple and very shortly after the birth of Hercule Poirot, there was Anne Beddingfield, the plucky heroine of The Man in the Brown Suit. Dame Agatha Christie included Hercule Poirot in 45 books and Miss Jane Marple in more than a dozen. Even Tommy and Tuppence Beresford appear in four novels and a collection of short stories. But Jane Beddingfield appears only in The Man in the Brown Suit (although another character in this novel, the debonair Colonel Race, went on to ...more
Hannah
Jun 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A great read. As always, Christie is a master of the crime/detective genre, managing to make this a fun and exciting romp without decreasing any of the mystery and sense of the sinister.

All of the characters had their own charms, but Colonel Race really made the book, even though he seemed to stay in the backdrop a lot of the time. I must say I felt rather sorry for his lack of luck with Anne, but I'm looking forward to revisiting his character in the later books. Anne, although not the most li
Ken
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
One of Christie’s earlier novels.
Just like most of her stories during the early 1920’s, this is more of an adventure thriller than the traditional Whodunnit that you’d associate with her.

Young Anne Beddingfeld is looking for adventure, when she witnesses what seems to appear as an accidental death on the London Underground it soon leads her travelling to South Africa.

I really loved the set up of this novel, it felt so familiar to many of Christie’s other novels. I was instantly hooked on the my
Veronique
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5*
“I had the firm conviction that, if I went about looking for adventure, adventure would meet me halfway. It is a theory of mine that one always gets what one wants.”

The Man in the Brown Suit, or Anna the Adventurous, was published as a serial in 1923, and is completely over the top! Instead of our ‘usual’ detective story, we have a thriller, involving an international crime organisation with a secret arch-villain at its head, although there is of course murder and mystery. All starts with ou
Emma
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
My first Christie without Poirot or Marple and I still enjoyed it, much to my surprise. Anne was a feisty, independent minded protagonist. She was a bit of an insta detective though. A good range of supporting characters. It was also interesting to read about South Africa and Rhodesia: contemporary fiction at the time, and now historical fiction.
You wouldn’t know that this is one of Christie’s earlier novels.
karen
Vikas Singh
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great thriller from Christie's earlier writings. Published in 1924, it has traces of the Western world's racial bias against the Africans. The only disappointment is that published just a year after Poirot's great thriller- The Murder on the Links, Christie decided to give him a miss. However overall the pace is racy and you get a good ringside view of South African terrain.
F.R.
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Forget the mystery, forget the complex scheme hatched by a mysterious criminal mastermind, Agatha Christie’s ‘The Man in the Brown Suit’ is really a spoof. Written in 1924 it has the suspense serial, the kind with feisty, flapper heroines at their centre, directly in its sights. But hang on, it's more than that: this was actually written in serialised form as ‘Anne the Adventuress’ and so right from the off it is both satirising the over the top adventure story whilst wholeheartedly being one.

We
James
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes it's easy to get distracted reading Agatha Christie. You get used to the idea that she's the creator of Poirot, of Marple, even of Tommy and Tuppence. Those characters can almost become more important than the novel itself, and when you read a Christie that doesn't have the distraction of a famous detective creation you can be surprised by just how good Christie can be. To be fair, those other novels with Poirot in are pretty good too but this one struck me that I was just enjoying Th ...more
Wafae -강 철-
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Now that's what im talking about..
I really loved & enjoyed every bit of this book.. also i think i've fallen for Colonel Race <3

that was different *.*'
a beautiful kind of different.

#07thbook #6thonmareadingchallenge #AgathaChristie #crimefiction
Melania &#x1f352;
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
3,3/5

This was a good old Agatha Christie mystery .Her books are never my favorites but I still have all of them on my TBR. They’re too addictive
Susan
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of Agatha Christie's best stand alone novels - part mystery, part thriller and part espionage story - which takes us from a London tube station to revolution in Africa. It begins with Anne Beddingfeld, the daughter of a professor who longs for adventure. She spends her day trying to placate creditors and longing to 'step out' with a young man. When her father dies, she takes an opportunity to go to London, where, quite by chance, she witnesses the death of a young man at a tube stati ...more
Queenx

لأجاثا كريستي أسلوب رائع في السرد

Carmen
Nov 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
I really enjoyed this mystery about an orphan who takes it upon herself to solve a murder. On the way she meets the man of her dreams and has many adventures. Very well-written.
Raoofa Ibrahim
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dead-authors, mystery
الى الان، اعتبر هذه الرواية من افضل ما كتبت اغاثا!
في هذه الرواية خرجت اغاثا ع المألوف، فأسهبت بذكر تفاصيل الشخصيات والاماكن .. حتى انني قد انسى وجود جريمة تحتاج للحل.
------
بطلة الرواية هي: آن
ليست اي شخصية معروفة في سلسلة اغاثا
آن هي فتاة تعيش مع والدها العالم، وهو بعشق العلوم لدرجة انه قد ينسى انه مدان لاصدقائه بالاموال! تضطر آن لتوفير احتياجات البيت، قد تخرج احيانا للهو فتشاهد مغامرت باميلا، وتثير دهشتها بطلة الفلم، المغامرة التي تسعى في كل جزء للإمساك بالمجرمين.

هذا الفيلم يلهم آن عندما يموت اب
Moha Dem
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english-novels
I think it's SPOIL FREE lol
I read Sparkling cyanide without knowing that this is the 1st in the Colonel Race's collection, nevertheless, It was an outstanding read, took me a deal of time to finish it as I had a sort of busy year in University, Anyways, there happened 2 murders in London, and the man in the brown suit was present in both of them, Anne was there so she suspected him and wanted to know who that person is, she had this gipsy adventurous mentality that urged her to follow him up to
Emily
Jun 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
This read very differently from the large majority of Christie's work - it sounded like a cross between Christie and Wodehouse. I laughed almost the entire way through, even if it was a bit too silly in parts. Loved it.
Ann
Oct 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Upon rereading this books (some ten years after initially doing so) I had vague recollections of who the "bad guy" was, how some of the arcs played out, and that I loved the book!
Even though I remembered the gist of who was good and who was bad, I was still questioning myself, "Wait, *IS* that character the bad one?" as I reread. But, in true Christie fashion, she explains it all so clearly by the end that I find myself wondering how I missed the clues early on.

This is one of my favorite Christi
C.
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I savour Agatha Christie in order of her releases. I don’t identify ahead what pertains to which series, nor watch any films lest I be wholly surprised by my journey; 90 years after “The Man In The Brown Suit”, came out. The gift this gives me is that each time I open the front page, it is a treat to discover which heroes shall escort me. Agatha experimented with these first four; three are unrelated. This one has nothing to do with her two famous sleuths. I was blissfully unprepared for that su ...more
Miriam
May 18, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: mystery
My library's copy of this is "adapted by Hughot"?!

---

Currently DNF at page 81.
This was the most boring Christie I have encountered to date. I've already forgotten the name of the MC, a young woman who is both irritatingly girlish and almost sociopathically cold (which sounds interesting and could be, written differently, but I think we are supposed to find her sympathetic). Her father has just died, she doesn't care -- fine, he didn't care for her, either -- she's staying with some near stranger
Dina
Konstantin
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
4,5 zvezdice
Gabriel
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Es la primera vez que me llevo un chasco con una novela de Agatha Christie. No pude evitar dejarla por la mitad, se me hizo interminable. Sentí que el relato tenía tantas direcciones y pistas que terminó por marearme. No me cayó bien ninguno de los dos narradores, la mayor parte del desarrollo se veía irreal e improbable, y las pequeñas dosis de sexismo y racismo no ayudaron. Me sorprende que sea una de las más leídas de Christie.
classic reverie
In the early 1990's I was first introduced to Agatha Christie's novels and was quickly drawn into her stories. Before the days of Amazon and Kindles, I would enjoy a visit to the local bookstore and find if they had any new to me Agatha paperbacks. I read a good number but that was limited to availability, so many like this story I had never read. Life became busy and my reading dropped off until my Kindle days started but even though I had many Christie kindle books, I only have read a handful ...more
كِـنزة بلقـاسم
أخيرا قرأت الرواية التي غيرت فكرتي عن أجاثا ... لم أتوقع المجرم أبدا

جريمة قتل لامرأة في فيلا بلندن ووفاة طبيعية لرجل في محطة القطار لكن الأسباب غامضة ..تقوم البطلة بالغوص في غمار اللغز بعد ورقة تجدها عند قتيل المحطة ..لتكشف أن الموضوع متعلق بألماس مسروق وتكون دائرة الاتهام موجهة على مجموعة من الرجال ..ثم مع الأحداث وسير الرواية تتقلص لرجلين ..في الأخير 😂😂
المجرم الأكبر هو شخص لم أضعه في قائمة المتهمين اطلاقا ولم أشك فيه أبدا ..فالروائية جعلته يبدو ملاكا وديعا حتى آخر الرواية
Ro
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,75/5
Nada fuera de este mundo, pero me dejó un muy buen sabor de boca y recuerdos que atesoraré con cariño.

Este es el tercer libro que leo de Agatha Christie, y uno que disfruté muchísimo. Sin duda esta mujer sabe cómo escribir historias atrapantes que se te pasen volando; es cierto que a veces lo dejaba abandonado por unos días, pero puedo decir con certeza que, cuando lo retomaba, disfrutaba de cada página.
Tengo que admitir que soy medio lela para los misterios; empezando con que no es mi gén
  • The Burden
  • The New Bedside, Bathtub and Armchair Companion to Agatha Christie
  • The Unexpected Guest
  • Busman's Honeymoon (Lord Peter Wimsey, #13)
  • Death and the Dancing Footman (Roderick Alleyn, #11)
  • Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks
  • Brat Farrar
  • Death in Cyprus
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • Agatha Christie

Colonel Race (4 books)
  • Cards on the Table (Hercule Poirot, #15)
  • Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17)
  • Sparkling Cyanide  (Colonel Race, #4)
“It is really a hard life. Men will not be nice to you if you are not good-looking, and women will not be nice to you if you are.” 435 likes
“What good is money if it can't buy happiness?” 73 likes