The BOOK/MOVIE Club discussion

Ice Breakers/Activities > Question 7: What book or series would you most like to see adapted into a movie or show?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Max (new)

Max Berger | 156 comments Mod
Let us know what you think! For me, it would be a reboot movie (or TV show) of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! The movie version from 2005 disappointed me, and I think with today's special effects and a quirky director like Edgar Wright (Baby Driver) or Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok), it could be amazing.

message 2: by Sebastian (last edited Mar 29, 2018 10:47PM) (new)

Sebastian | 18 comments I would love to see an adaption of Harry Turtledoves Worldwar and Colonization book series as an HBO style series with 10 parts per season, per book. Worldwar is about an alien race that decides to invade earth because they have seen images of knights one of their probes brought back. During their thousand year journey earth evolves and when they finally arrive, the world fights wwii and the alien invaders are met with the harsh reality that humankind evolves much faster than they do and they get their asses served. Colonization followes the story but is set in the 1960s and how both races have lived together for the past 20 years on earth.
Turtledove has so many great ideas. There are so many incredible side plots. The alien race is well developed and evolves great during the story. The alternative history of the earth is also incredible.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I really would love to see Joseph O'Connor's 'Star Of The Sea' made into a film. I couldn't even begin to think which actor could be assigned what character? I thought that the late John Hurt would make a good Pius Mulvey, but alas...

message 4: by Ella (new)

Ella | 5 comments The Long Walk by Stephen King - if it does happen Frank Darabont will most likely be the director

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex (alex-mewmew) | 3 comments I'd like to see the Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series adapted into a TV show. I think each book could work in 2-3 episodes each. I wasn't much of a fan of the film Nickelodeon made of the first book. :/

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 3 comments I haven’t read the longest walk in a long time. But did enjoy it. I absolutely agree, it would make a great film

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 3 comments Endurance is an amazing true story with so many ups and downs. This would make a fantastic film about an unbelievable journey

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Ella wrote: "The Long Walk by Stephen King - if it does happen Frank Darabont will most likely be the director"

Yes! Hopefully the music would be as good as that in 'The Mist' too?

message 9: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Cunningham | 65 comments The name of the wind, I loved the book and I do believe it is being turned into a TV show and movie series it's gonna be great

message 10: by C.C.Webb (new)

C.C.Webb | 4 comments I'd like to see a GOOD adaption of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter but I think it's better suited for a TV miniseries than a movie.

I also read The Last Book in the Universe years ago and always thought it might make an interesting movie. One of those little overlooked gems. I should reread that...

message 11: by Ella (new)

Ella | 5 comments 4th Earl wrote: "Ella wrote: "The Long Walk by Stephen King - if it does happen Frank Darabont will most likely be the director"

Yes! Hopefully the music would be as good as that in 'The Mist' too?"

Oh I haven't seen that one, but yes it'd be nice if it had a nice soundtrack to match the suspense :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes Ella, I highly recommend it, it's a great film! However, how shall I put this, er, it's certainly not a happy ending! The music (towards the end of the film, anyway) is by 'Dead Can Dance' and it's a very haunting tune!

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I would love to see an adaptation of the In Death series. Preferably if I was allowed to help vote on the people who play the characters.

message 14: by Elsa (new)

Elsa (elsamaria) | 3 comments I would like to see Helen Dunmore's Birdcage Walk adapted to a film. It combines historical fiction and an oppressively creepy atmosphere with a definite whiff of crime in the air. An irresistible combination!

message 15: by ROBERT (new)

ROBERT | 60 comments The Bosch series has been so successful I think a detective like series would be very well received. Crais's Cole/Pike series would get my vote for a series. If it is too similar to Bosch (both are LA), then maybe Burke's Robicheaux series. Lee child's Jack Reacher would be a good series.

message 16: by Paula (new)

Paula | 56 comments I never finished San Miguel by T.C. Boyle. I've read some of his short stories and enjoyed them. This novel was one I got about half-way through and put away. Don't know how it ends and don't care. The movie "The Road to Wellville" was adapted from his novel and it would rate 3 of 5 stars from me. I like it, but wasn't jumping up and down. I live in Battle Creek where the Kellogg brothers developed Corn Flakes. Maybe I'm a flake for saying so. (see what I did there?) ;>)

message 17: by John (new)

John London | 2 comments I would like to see The Wayfarers by Becky Chambers bought to the small screen.

message 18: by ROBERT (new)

ROBERT | 60 comments Kevin wrote: "Endurance is an amazing true story with so many ups and downs. This would make a fantastic film about an unbelievable journey"

Very similar to that would be Zahara, the story of a shipwrecked sailor surviving as a slave to bedouins in the Sahara for 18 months. In both cases, the obstacles to shooting the scenes in the inhospitable landscapes might be too much to overcome.

message 19: by Kavya (new)

Kavya | 2 comments I think the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead could be an awesome TV series. There was a movie adaptation but it was disappointing though Zoey Deutch was good as Rosemarie Hathaway. But the VA series deserves so much better than that movie.

message 20: by Shar (new)

Shar Edwards (shar_reads) | 3 comments WakeFadeGone I would love to see the Wake Trilogy as a movie or tv show series. The books were amazing! And I'd also love to see the Hush, Hush Saga in a movie as well.

message 21: by Erin (new)

Erin I would absolutely love to see Chelsea Cain's Heartsick series turned into a movie or tv show.

message 22: by Zee (new)

Zee | 1 comments I would love to see a screen adaptation of Håkan Nesser's Inspector Van Veeteren series.

message 23: by Erin (new)

Erin The Witching Hour by Anne Rice

I think it would be a great HBO show.