Start by marking “Fade (Wake, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fade (Wake, #2)

Fade (Wake #2)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  46,086 Ratings  ·  2,393 Reviews
SOME NIGHTMARES NEVER END.

For Janie and Cabel, real life is getting tougher than the dreams. They're just trying to carve out a little (secret) time together, but no such luck.

Disturbing things are happening at Fieldridge High, yet nobody's talking. When Janie taps into a classmate's violent nightmares, the case finally breaks open -- but nothing goes as planned. Not even
Published February 10th 2009 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Fade, please sign up.
Aleiah Schinkey Yes, I personally liked the first better than the second and Third.
Rebeca Janie never goes blind in the series, but she is starting to lose her sight.
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareBlood Promise by Richelle MeadHunted by P.C. CastEvermore by Alyson Noel
Books for 2009
583 books — 2,420 voters
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareShiver by Maggie StiefvaterCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Judge A Book By Its Cover!
5,008 books — 9,482 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, pnr, fantasy, 2011
How sad and moving is this book? I loved it so much more than its predecessor and the worst thing about is that I am refusing to read the conclusion to the trilogy: Gone. I feel that the stage I am at seems to need some kind of conclusion and I desperately want to read more but, on the other hand, I refuse to ruin a story that has so far held me captivated by its depth of emotion and well-built mysteries with an ending that is mediocre.

And I have read enough reviews by trusted goodreads friends
Rissa
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Janie is still learning to control/change/deal with the dreams she enters but it got deeper in this second installment. She doesnt only go into their dreams but we get to know the people outside of their dreams.
Janie is less of a scared little girl and more brave and outgoing. Not only did her abilities develop but her personality too.
I dont like it, well i do but i dont because its rude when she is in a dream and we dont know its a dream we think this is really happening, why the heck is this
Kristi
I love this series. I have been waiting to read Fade since I sped through the last few pages of Wake, and I was not disappointed. Everything that I attracted me to the first novel is still there, simplicity of McMann’s writing, quick pace and realistic dialogue.

Fade divulges more about Janie’s ability which was fascinating and unimaginable at the same time. The unique relationship between Janie and Cabel is also taken to a new level.

I usually don’t comment on the content within a novel, but I
merina rey
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Just like Wake, ( the first book in the trilogy ) Fade did not disappoint! I loved the route Janie and Cable’s relationship took. I love Janie as a character and I feel like Cable is a great supporting character as well. They kind of just “vibe” and it shows through Lisa McMann’s writing! I’m anxious to see how “Gone” wraps up this trilogy! What will ultimately be the consequences and what price will Janie have to pay for something she can’t even control? I’m scared, I’m anxious, but I’m excited ...more
Tatiana
Apr 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Second reading of "Fade" confirmed that this second book is the best in the series. Not only does it develop marvelously the relationship between Janie and Cabel (which was a central theme of "Wake"), but it also brings in an excellent mystery story line. The case Cabe and Janie work on in this book is dark and disturbing and the final party scene is remarkable in its intensity and realness.

Now, having read "Gone," the final book in the trilogy, I strongly recommend to stop reading the series a
Temi Panayotova
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Като цяло започнаха да се случват по-интересни неща в поредицата. Джейни все още няма контрол върху силите си и научава лошите странични ефекти от дарбата си. Да видим, какво ще стане в последната част :)
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Randstostipher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen for TeensReadToo.com

As one case closes another one opens. Janie Hannagan returns, this time using her abilities of being swept into a person's dreams to solve a sex scandal at her school.

Several calls have been made on Fieldridge High School's anonymous phone line. Although inaudible at times, the messages result in the assumption that certain faculty members and students at Fieldridge have been fooling around. So Captain and her agents use their
Michael
Apr 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
"Fade" continues the story begun in "Wake" and if you try reading this one first, you're likely to be a little confused.

In "Wake," we met Janie, a girl with the ability to be a dream-catcher. This means she can enter other people's dreams. "Wake" was about Janie coming to terms with her new power. "Fade" is concerned with Janie learning the responsible use of her power and the consequences of being a dream-catcher. It sets up things for a third and final installment of the series that, quite fra
Leah
Apr 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chichipio
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm reviewing this one after reading the whole trilogy. There won't be any spoilers but that fact shapes the way I see this book, making me like it more.

This trilogy is short, very short. I'm sure that the word count of the three books added together barely exceeds that of most average length novels. So it's easier for me to think of this trilogy as just one book with three parts. Fade reads like all second parts do in this kind of books—you already have the events and players set up in part one
Morgan F
Okay, so I liked this one a tad more than I liked Wake. But only because it actually had some semblance of a plot and the writing was a bit tighter.

If only the plot wasn’t so fucking ridiculous and outlandish. I get that this is a paranormal book, so some disbelief is required, but it is just so far removed from reality.

(view spoiler)
Jordan
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars-2017
This book was no master piece, but it was better than the first book (slightly and I mean it would have been really hard to get worse). This book actually had a cohesive story line (though it still had a lot of plot holes)

I still don’t like the relationship like it happened so fast and it doesn’t seem real. 95% of the time they are ignoring each other. They do not represent a healthy or normal relationship.

Still confused on what dream walking actually entails, though I will admit we learned mo
Anthony ➳ KeepReadingForward ➳
4/5
Date Reviewed:
2 September 2017
This Review was first posted on Keep Reading Forward. If you want to see more, check out our other locations as well as here.

It is funny how it took me just about a year to pick up the series again and finish it. If you do not remember, my first ever review was Wake in this very series. Since it has been a long time, I had to go back to the original book, flip through it and try to remember what happened. I remembered the writing style the most, but I did not re
Vania
Mar 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-shelf
Lisa McMann blew me away with this second book. I was uncontrollably gripping the book till the last word. Janie's story unravels--literally. She gets into some compromising situations and I was left breathless, panting after--anticipating the outcomes.

I was wonderfully absorbed into Cabel's emotional state. His flaws--his insecurities, history and his want for safety sets him apart and makes him so wonderfully real and lovable. His battle with Janie's actions, her desires and her hopes and drea
William
This sequel to McMann's young adult novel "Wake" improves on the former with more focused prose and more attention given to the budding romance between "dream catcher" Janie and her narc-in-hiding boyfriend, Cabel. If there's a third wheel to this relationship, it's the couple's employer, Police Captain Fran Komisky, who serves on occasion as surrogate parental figure and relationship counselor, providing all the well intentioned tough-love you can stand.

The plot itself is fairly uncomplicated b
♥ Unaeve ♥
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopia
Great and fast read!
Kinga
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is getting progressively worse. I think I will pass on volume 3.
Rhiannon Frater
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
A lot of my criticisms of the book Wake, remain for its sequel.  You can read my Wake review here. This is more of a 3.5 than a 4 star.

Beware Spoilers!

The Writing Style

Again, the narrative is in a choppy, odd, staccato prose that the reader will either enjoy or despise. I personally think it works for this series of books, but there were a few times I arched an eyebrow.  Odd random facts are delivered, such as what brand someone is wearing, for no obvious reason.  Since the writing-style doesn
Karin
Aug 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
You should read WAKE before you pick up FADE. You’ll understand the story much better.

My review may be a little vague, but I don’t want to give away any SPOILERS for WAKE.

Janie still has a difficult life. Her mother still drinks and hides in her bedroom to the extent that she doesn’t have any interest in what Janie does. Janie is the adult in house - making sure there are groceries in the house and taking care of the other day to day household chores.

The one bright spot in her life is Cabel. She
Greta is Erikasbuddy
The Good:
*I loved the little unfinished sentences. That really made the book for me.

*Cable is just a doll and if it were up to me he'd be played by Reid Ewing http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2938641/

*I liked the storyline of this book

*The green notebook explained everything I wanted to know

*And I'm actually pretty curious about the next book

The Bad:
There was lip gloss
*There were geek glasses

*Too much cussing

*Belly condom wrappers

*I had trouble paying attention at parts

*It was like Nancy Drew but with
Merve S.
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Tam kıvamında bir kitaptı, yine değişik bir kurgu normal yaşantının zorluklarıyla harmanlanmış, bu da kitabı değerli yapan :))) Özellikle ilk kitaba göre rüya yakalayıcılığıyla ilgili daha fazla şey öğreniyoruz ve ne yalan söyleyeyim Janie'nin bundan sonra ne yapacağını çok merak ediyorum. Yazık kıza :/ Neyse umarım 3.kitabı çabuk okuruz :))
Sarah BT
Jun 20, 2009 rated it liked it
I read Wake about a month ago and finished Fade not long after, but I've been waiting to post my review. Unlike every other book blogger, I didn't love these books and I wanted to make sure I could express why.
Wake has an interesting premise, but it seems like all the dreams Janie falls into are sex dreams or nightmares that are memories. I thought this was an easy way out. It seemed too easy how the dreams were related to real life-where was the dream interpretation? The hiding spot for a drug
Metaspinster
This was my review of Wake (to which Fade is a sequel):

"In some ways, this book reads like it was written by a very, very smart teenager on the older/more mature side, i.e. 17-18, has been in love, and experienced other kinds of deep vulnerability as well--basically like the book's heroine, perhaps in a few years or in a self-reflexive place.

It also reads like good fanfic, in the following ways:

a) written in close third-person present tense, which aligns quite well with the plot/story world's fo
Selin
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Kitabı sevdim ilkide güzeldi zaten.değişikti,farklıydı,tuhaftı. Diğerlerinden ayransa uslubuydu, öyle tuvalete gittim bilmemne,yok "defterimi çıkarttm yanına kalemimide koydum ardndanda silgimi yanına koydum sonra kalem yuvarlandı düştü" yada "ah lanet olsun telfonumun şarjı bitti" gibisinden gereksiz ayrntlardan arndrlmış gayet sade ve öz dizi veya film izler gibi okuna bilen polisiye ve gizem yönü ağır insanı rahatsız eden vıcıksı bir aşk olmayan kısacık bir kitaptı,ancak yazarn gelişmesi gere ...more
Kat Kennedy
Apr 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly loved this book.

In Fade we see the action and suspense pick up a little more as Cabel and Jennie track down a sexual predator.

The relationship between these two misfits is one of the sweetest I've ever read.

I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to read Gone considering how many are so completely unsatisfied with it, but as it is, Wake and Fade are brilliant.
Linda
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I may or may not have finished the last 100 pages of this book with a torch light in the middle of the night. That’s a big enough of a clue to tell you how much I enjoyed this book.

It blows my mind how Lisa McMann managed to write two amazing books for the same series, while I’m sitting here, staring at both the books figuring out which I liked better.
Rita
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GOSTEI TANTO DESTE LIVRO! Não sei se o próximo irá conseguir arrancar-me uma pontuação tão alta mas veremos... Gostei muito, teve tudo aquilo que estava à espera. E por mim a série podia acabar por aqui... porém ainda há muita coisa a descobrir sobre a mãe da Janie e o seu pai, sei lá é disso que estou à procura nos livros que ainda não encontrei...
 B.E.Love
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*re-read
Petra Sýkorová
První díl světově oblíbené série jsem si náramně užila. Kniha mě dostala svou syrovostí, emočností a hlavně naprosto ojedinělým stylem vyprávění. Přece jenom se mi do rukou dříve nedostala kniha, která by prostřednictvím krátkých úderných "zápisů" popisovala, co se vlastně událo.

Po všech knihách, kde hrdinky získají nějakou superschopnost, anebo jsou náramně superdůležité, načež jsou nuceny si vybírat ze dvou (někdy i více) nápadníků, je tahle série příjemnou vzpruhou.

Děj druhého dílu se odehr
Sabrina
Feb 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
YA Buddy Readers'...: Dream Catcher Series by Lisa McMann - Reading 'Fade' from June 5th 2016 69 113 May 17, 2016 11:58AM
Is this story supposed to be about a couple? 1 3 Feb 27, 2015 10:59AM
Cabel was a jerk 8 77 Feb 16, 2014 06:21PM
Young Adult Book ...: Fade 9 49 Feb 23, 2012 04:42AM
  • Deadly Little Lies (Touch, #2)
  • Kiss of Life (Generation Dead, #2)
  • No Time to Die & The Deep End of Fear (Dark Secrets, #3-4)
  • Soulstice (The Devouring, #2)
  • Stargazer (Evernight, #2)
  • Undead Much (Megan Berry, #2)
  • Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2)
  • My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers, #2)
  • Dead Is a State of Mind (Dead Is, #2)
  • Jekel Loves Hyde
  • Sea Change
  • Darklight (Wondrous Strange, #2)
  • Crashed (Cold Awakening, #2)
  • Blessed (Tantalize, #3)
  • The Evil Within (Possessions, #2)
  • The Everafter
  • Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4)
  • Haunted (The Mediator, #5)
Lisa McMann lives and writes in the Phoenix area. Her books include the NYT bestselling THE UNWANTEDS series (the new UNWANTEDS QUESTS series begins Feb 7, 2017) and the YA paranormal WAKE trilogy. Other books include the VISIONS trilogy, CRYER'S CROSS, DEAD TO YOU, INFINITY RING: The Trap Door, and the GOING WILD trilogy (book 2 coming autumn 2017).

You can find more info at Lisa'a website, lisamc
More about Lisa McMann

Wake (3 books)
  • Wake (Wake, #1)
  • Gone (Wake, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“There's something about a guy who admits he's a jerk that makes him forgiveable.” 94 likes
“She gets to school late. Bashful gives her a tardy, and won't reconsider.
Janie always hated Bashful.
Stupidest. Dwarf. Ever.”