Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge discussion

Previous Years' Read Harder Selections

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kasi (new)

Kasi (kasireadsjunkandstuff) | 23 comments Hello! This is my first year participating in the Read Harder Challenge and I have loved it so much (and because I may be insane), I decided I wanted to complete the previous years' challenges as well!

Which has led me to wonder; those of you who participated in 2015, 2016, or 2017 - what are some of the books you most enjoyed reading? what has stuck with you? what do you wish you had read that you didn't?

Thanks so much, I look forward to the recommendations!

message 2: by Bonnie G. (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1353 comments What a fun question!

For 2016 I would say:

Read a horror book Slade House

Read a book of historical fiction set before 1900. My Ántonia and The Underground Railroad

Read a book with a main character that has a mental illness. Madness: A Bipolar Life

For 2017 I would say the best were:

Read a book about sports. Open

Read a debut novel Rules of Civility

Read a book that is set more than 5000 miles from your location. A Gentleman in Moscow

Read a book about war. Slaughterhouse-Five (also for Banned or Challenged, though I don't double dip)

Read a YA or middle grade novel by an author who identifies as LGBTQ+. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

Read a classic by an author of color. Go Tell It on the Mountain

message 3: by Kasi (new)

Kasi (kasireadsjunkandstuff) | 23 comments Bonnie wrote: "What a fun question!

For 2016 I would say:

Read a horror book Slade House

Read a book of historical fiction set before 1900. My Ántonia and [book:The Underground R..."

Bonnie, thank you so much! I have heard of A Gentleman in Moscow, I will have to put a copy on hold with the library. And thank you so much for the LGBTQ+ author recommendation, I am having difficulties finding authors/books for several of those challenges.

message 5: by Kasi (new)

Kasi (kasireadsjunkandstuff) | 23 comments Teresa wrote: "My favorite challenge books from 2016 are
Bitch Planet, Vol. 1: Extraordinary Machine.
The Importance of Being Earnest.
The Graveyard Book.
[book:Til..."

Teresa, thank you so much for the recommendations! I remember being fascinated by Typhoid Mary as a kid, I couldn't tell you why!, so I will definitely have to pick that one up.

These challenges have some really awesome categories! :D