What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Lords of the Middle Dark (Rings of the Master, #1)
This topic is about Lords of the Middle Dark
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Lords of the Middle Dark: 80s or 90s SF where AI has forced most humans to live in primitive communities [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (last edited Mar 25, 2018 07:06PM) (new) - added it

Amber | 6 comments I think this book was probably published 80s or later - I probably read it in the 90s. A super-powerful AI with the directive to protect humans has decided that the best way to protect humans is to remove them from power, and it seized control of everything. The vast majority of people now live in artificial primitive/tribal communities modeled on the history of their geographic regions. All of North America lives Native -American-style, Japan is modeled on feudal Japan, and so on. And most ordinary people have no knowledge that there is anything else.

My memories of the plot are super vague, but I think it begins when the protagonist, living in the North American zone, sees a plane fly over and has no idea what it is. He eventually finds out that there is a hidden high-technology world in which a small percentage of humanity lives, having been tasked by the AI with maintaining this whole system.

message 2: by Artemis (new)

Artemis | 18 comments I think I remember this book! Lords of the Middle Dark?
Lords of the Middle Dark (Rings of the Master, #1) by Jack L. Chalker

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
My thoughts too Artemis. Except that the MC in Lords of the Middle Dark already knew about the secret sub sect of humans who live in a more technological world. However, except for that one difference, Amber is definitely describing the series Rings of the Master of which Lords of the Middle Dark is the first book. I did enjoy this series a great deal when I read it back then.

message 4: by Amber (last edited Mar 26, 2018 04:37PM) (new) - added it

Amber | 6 comments That title and cover don't ring a bell, but I think that must be it. Thank you! Thank you!! Thank You!!! Y'all are incredible!

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37809 comments Mod
Popular title. Requested 4x now.