Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Neverwhere [Apr 8, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
April 8th

Neverwhere

Arka (ruineleint) Probably in for this

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments spot. :)

John Compton | 163 comments Probably in. Need a break from Wheel of Time (400 pages left in Book 4) - should finish it by April 8. I have not read anything by Gailman.

Sara J. (kefuwa) (kefuwa) | 137 comments In for this - I have been wanting to read my copy of "The Author's Preferred Text" not that I can remember the differences having read Neverwhere agessss ago!

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments Creeplily sneaking in on the discussion because I've read the book and am curious to know what you guys would think. Also, I have yet to review it, so for me I'm not completely done yet..

Victor *I was in the pool!* | 41 comments Save me a seat please :)

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 672 comments I'm definitely in for this one! Assassin's Apprentice isn't taking as long to read as I thought it would, so I should have no issues fitting Neverwhere into my schedule.

message 10: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments I started reading this today not knowing that there was a buddy read for it. So I'll post my thoughts a little later.

Yanique Gillana | 828 comments Hopefully I’ll get to this one. Didn’t even realize it was a BR!

Beste | 1163 comments Coming this week.

K L  | 341 comments I loved this when I read it years ago. I may join and re-read this one. :)

message 14: by Arka (new) - rated it 3 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Started. For some reason I was firmly convinced that this was set in the 19th century and so was quite confused after computers made their appearance.

Victor *I was in the pool!* | 41 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Started. For some reason I was firmly convinced that this was set in the 19th century and so was quite confused after computers made their appearance."

So was I.

message 16: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 2 stars

Victor *we were on a break!* wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "Started. For some reason I was firmly convinced that this was set in the 19th century and so was quite confused after computers made their appearance."

So was I."

Ditto.

Beste | 1163 comments I'm hooked from around page 30 by the complication of the events but I still don't like Gaiman throwing the hero in the chaos within the first chapters.
It was same in American Gods, Shadow was thrown in the events without warning. OK it may be normal for fantasy genre but, what I specifically don't like is, his heroes being clueless about their position. They don't work their minds. They don't analyse whats spinning around them. Shadow was lead by Wednesday and here we have Door ordering Richard around.
I don't DNF books but if it has the same structure with American Gods. I will not read Gaiman again.

message 18: by John (new) - rated it 3 stars

John Compton | 163 comments Just finished Chapter 1. I really liked the bouncing back and forth between the two storylines.

Did anyone feel like the style is similar to Stephen King? I have not read Gaiman before, but the "door" feels similar to the time portal in King's Kennedy assassination book (11/23/63, or whatever the date was).

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 672 comments Ugh Jessica is an awful character... otherwise this has been a fun read so far! Just started today, so I'm only 20ish pages in, but curious to see where it goes

Victor *I was in the pool!* | 41 comments Jessica wrote: "Ugh Jessica is an awful character... otherwise this has been a fun read so far!s"

Yes she is and yes it has ☺

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments I can't stand Jessica either. We normally get the controlling male character who wants to mould his future wife. Seeing stuff like that from a woman seems so much worse somehow.

I have only tried reading Gaiman's short stories once but gave up on them pretty fast. This one however has me hooked already. I'm about 20% in and really enjoying it.

Are Stephen King's books the same?

I haven't tried any horror till now for fear I won't be able to get sleep at night (after seeing The Ring on TV I kept the lights on at night for close to 2 weeks :) yes! Sadly, I'm that kind! 😁) But if King's books are sort of similar to this one I'll gather my courage and give them a try. :D

message 22: by Beste (last edited Apr 11, 2018 12:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beste | 1163 comments Jess annoyed me very much. Oh sorry did I just say Jess? I meant Jessica! :)

If that makes any difference.

K L  | 341 comments I don't think I will get around to this one :( Next time :)

message 24: by Arka (new) - rated it 3 stars

Arka (ruineleint) 7 chapters done

Got a good feeling for the world and I must Gaiman was pretty clear on what "falling through the cracks" is actually like. I am wondering if this book informed Claire North's A Sudden Appearance of Hope.

(view spoiler)

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 672 comments Just finished chapter 6. I love how descriptive this is! Mr. Vandemar's eating habits were killing me on the bus ride to work this morning... so gross and hilarious. Never felt so much like laughing and throwing up at the same time, very odd feelings Mr. Gaiman, well done.

Beste | 1163 comments Finished. Ending spoiler here (view spoiler)

Victor *I was in the pool!* | 41 comments Five days in and I'm only on page 113. I am finding way too easy to set this book down in between chapters. Funny thing is, I like the story. And I was so sure that I would be done in less than 2 days :)

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 672 comments Victor *we were on a break!* wrote: "Five days in and I'm only on page 113. I am finding way too easy to set this book down in between chapters. Funny thing is, I like the story. And I was so sure that I would be done in less than 2 d..."

I'm definitely feeling some of the same. I really like this book and I'm having fun reading it, but it's not super gripping for some reason. I'm a little over 1/2 way through.

message 29: by Arka (new) - rated it 3 stars

Arka (ruineleint) 168 pages in.

Well this book can be pretty bloody and dark.

I love the new bodyguard.

My principal question though is about the role of the protagonist. What exactly is he supposed to be/do? So far he is little more than a hanger-on, with no idea about practically anything, stumbling from shock to shock and literally needing to have his hand held.

Laura Tenfingers | 870 comments Just started, I'm in chapter 2, and I'm loving Gaiman's descriptions. Can totally see Richard and Jess, I mean Jessica. Mega biatch. And Mister V and Mister C are very amusing.

message 31: by Arka (new) - rated it 3 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Nearing the end.

While I love the world Gaiman has built, so far the story has struck as being a bit simplistic.

message 32: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 2 stars

Arkadeb wrote: "Nearing the end.

While I love the world Gaiman has built, so far the story has struck as being a bit simplistic."

This is my third Gaiman book, and likely my last, and I think that sums it all up.

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 672 comments Arkadeb wrote: "168 pages in.

My principal question though is about the role of the protagonist. What exactly is he supposed to be/do? ..."

I'm a little over 200 pages in and still wondering the same thing. Aside from him being a good guy, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot else going on with Richard's character. I'm guessing that he might end up being the dark horse with his knowledge of London upper? Don't know... hoping to finish up the book tonight though, so I'll know soon!

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 34 comments I finish Neverwhere last week and I enjoyed the story but I didn't fall in love with it like I have other works by him.

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 672 comments Carrie wrote: "I finish Neverwhere last week and I enjoyed the story but I didn't fall in love with it like I have other works by him."

I just finished it a couple minutes ago and I kind of agree. It was good and I had fun, but it wasn't totally my cup of tea. Lot of cringey parts that made my skin crawl, which was perfect for the story but super hard to read. So many random gross things being eaten and tortured...

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 672 comments My kindle copy had a short story about the Marquis which I really enjoyed though. Always love when there's little additions thrown in there.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6214 comments Finished it last night also. I enjoyed the story but didn't really love it. Not bad but not great either. The story was good but some parts were just too cringy or dark for me. Not quite my cup of tea either.

Laura Tenfingers | 870 comments Arkadeb wrote: "168 pages in.

My principal question though is about the role of the protagonist. What exactly is he supposed to be/do? ..."

Same thing happened with the MC in American Gods I think. Not sure why Gaiman likes that... I don't much.

message 39: by Arka (new) - rated it 3 stars

Arka (ruineleint) I finished the book and it has left me unsatisfied.

(view spoiler)

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 672 comments Arkadeb wrote: "I finished the book and it has left me unsatisfied...."

GAH! Hunter... ugh... I don't know how to use the spoiler tag, so I won't give any details. But that was... frustrating... such a waste.

Victor *I was in the pool!* | 41 comments I need to stay off this thread or I'll never finish this story. :D

Laura Tenfingers | 870 comments Victor *we were on a break!* wrote: "I need to stay off this thread or I'll never finish this story. :D"

Haha! That's exactly how I feel!! XD

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 34 comments Victor *we were on a break!* wrote: "I need to stay off this thread or I'll never finish this story. :D"

I listened to the audio version, if it wasn't for Mr. Gaiman's voice I probably would have placed the book on the back burner, like I did with American Gods. I do hope to attempt that again someday in audio.

Beste | 1163 comments Laura wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "168 pages in.

My principal question though is about the role of the protagonist. What exactly is he sup..."

When I said the same thing in american Gods, I was the weird one. Hah..
To create a story, something has to change in main characters life that is same in every book. Until here is fine. But through the story we learn what happens, happens for a reason. This allows the character to get a grip on whats spinning around him.
Whereas in Gaiman's books we are not given reasons and the hero is clueless till the end.
This can be a different writing style that I do not qualify to understand. Because I can not see any other explanation.

message 45: by Arka (new) - rated it 3 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Beste wrote: "Laura wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "168 pages in.

My principal question though is about the role of the protagonist. What exa..."

I don't really have a problem with stories that do not explain things, throws the hero into the middle of confusing events or leaves it to the reader to figure things out. Its just that I prefer my protagonists to be somewhat competent or to have some type of character development. That was practically absent here

Beste | 1163 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Beste wrote: "Laura wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "168 pages in.

My principal question though is about the role of the protago..."

Yes it was and I kind of related both. Since there is no explanation given, he couldn't develop :P
(view spoiler)

message 47: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 2 stars

I finally finished this up. The end was better than most of it but really this was very disappointing.

Colin Bohl (colinbohl) | 10 comments Sorry to hear that you weren't a fan. Have you read other Gaiman books besides Neverwhere?

message 49: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 2 stars

Colin wrote: "Sorry to hear that you weren't a fan. Have you read other Gaiman books besides Neverwhere?"

Yes. Coraline and The Ocean at the End of the Lane which were 3 and 2 stars respectively.

message 50: by John (last edited Apr 24, 2018 05:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

John Compton | 163 comments Beste wrote: "Finished. Ending spoiler here [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)