2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Library at Mount Char
This topic is about The Library at Mount Char
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > The Library at Mount Char

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Scott Hawkins‘s book, The Library at Mount Char.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Kaylee, Kristina

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 97
Week 2: 97
Week 3: 97
Week 4: 97

Kaylee Walterbach (kayleewalterbach) | 59 comments I've been waiting forever to read this book! I have no idea what to expect from this book (plot or otherwise) and that makes it even more exciting. Hooray for our tiny group :)

Kristina | 344 comments Kaylee wrote: "I've been waiting forever to read this book! I have no idea what to expect from this book (plot or otherwise) and that makes it even more exciting. Hooray for our tiny group :)"

Hi Kaylee! I’m also really excited for this one. It’s been sitting on my Kindle for a while now. I’ll be able to start by the end of next week.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1017 comments I finished this towards the end of 2017. I loved it! It was my favorite read of the year. It was nothing like what I was expecting though. I'm interested to hear what people think of it.

Kaylee Walterbach (kayleewalterbach) | 59 comments Kristina wrote: "Hi Kaylee! I’m also really excited for this one. It’s been sitting on my Kindle for a while now. I’ll be able to start by the end of next week."

Perfect! I have a tendency not to follow the suggested page break down, especially if the book is good enough to read in huge spurts. Here's to hoping!

Kaylee Walterbach (kayleewalterbach) | 59 comments So... I've made it to page 86 by now, and this book is wonderful and weird. It's the sort of confusing that I love, where everything feels properly mysterious and the author understands that the reader can figure it out on their own. Seriously, so wonderful and so so weird.

What do you think so far??

Kristina | 344 comments I'm up to chapter 4 now (page 86 according to Kindle). The story is definitely interesting and unique. Also, it's much darker than I expected, but I'm enjoying it so far. I like the contrast of the past and the present the the way different aspects the of the story are revealed between the two time periods. It's not as dense as some of the other books I've been reading lately, but I feel like I definitely have to pay attention to the details because something minor or mentioned seemingly in passing ends up having a bigger significance. I'm excited to keep reading. I really don't know what to expect next.

Kaylee Walterbach (kayleewalterbach) | 59 comments Agreed! Darker than I expected, but also more humorous than I expected? The huge amount of small details involved feel important, which makes the story feel even more mysterious. I love not knowing (AT ALL) what is going to happen in this story; it's been a while since I've had a book like that.

Also... I'm on Chapter 7 / page 150 and my favorite part so far is Dresden's (view spoiler) perspective. What a gem :')

Kristina | 344 comments Dresden's my favorite character lol (view spoiler) None of the other characters particularly stand out as favorites, but I do like how they are characterized and developed in the story. If nothing else they're interesting. I think because everyone is either strange or surrounded by intrigue that everyone was on an even level of interest until Dresden.

I'm on Chapter 11 now (page 262). (view spoiler)

I'm going to catch up on a couple other books this weekend and then finish this one next week.

Kaylee Walterbach (kayleewalterbach) | 59 comments I haven't reached Chapter 11 yet so I'll hold off on your spoiler :) but I do agree that the one thing I dislike about the book so far is that I don't feel attached to any characters yet. Even Carolyn, who seems to be the main protagonist, isn't necessarily likable. But you're right, even if they're not likable or relatable they're interesting because of how strange they are. Strangeness is always fun to read!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1017 comments I'm glad you are both enjoying the book! This was one of my favorite reads of last year. The plot is really well done and when I finished it was fun to look back and see what a journey the author took me on. And you're right, the sense of humor was great as was Dresden the lion.

Kristina | 344 comments I just finished this! I'll share my thoughts later this week (since it's now almost 1:00am).

Kaylee Walterbach (kayleewalterbach) | 59 comments Finished just in time! Oh man oh man oh man. 4.5 stars for sure.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 1017 comments Kaylee wrote: "Finished just in time! Oh man oh man oh man. 4.5 stars for sure."

Good review Kaylee! I'm glad to hear you liked it. This is one I try to get all my friends to read, even though I know it's not the kind of book that everyone will enjoy. The author's website says he is working on a short story set in the same universe as this book, but it looks like he posted that comment a while ago and there's no recent updates....

Kristina | 344 comments I finally have a moment to post my thoughts about the ending/overall book.

Major spoilers below:
(view spoiler)

I really enjoyed this book. I hope that this author writes something else, even if it's not related to this book. I'd just like to read more of his work.

Kaylee Walterbach (kayleewalterbach) | 59 comments Randy, agreed! I actually tried to pitch this to one of my friends, but with the warning that it's really weird and unexpected. (Which is the best part, in my opinion!)

Kristin, I also think the climax happened early in the story but I wasn't exactly disappointed by that. There was this strange lull at the last quarter of the book (as in there was no immediate action) but that's when all the twisty plot unfolded which was entertaining enough for me.

Kristina, I agree about Steve! Except that I think I feel worse for Steve than I do for Carolyn. I really had to think through the ending because (view spoiler)

Kristina | 344 comments Kaylee wrote: "Randy, agreed! I actually tried to pitch this to one of my friends, but with the warning that it's really weird and unexpected. (Which is the best part, in my opinion!)

Kristin, I also think the c..."

I felt the same way about (view spoiler)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Library at Mount Char (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Scott Hawkins (other topics)