Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-Thon #2 - Kick-off

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Mar 23, 2018 07:33PM) (new)

Laura | 3823 comments Mod
Depending on where you're at in the world, the read-a-thon may have already started for you. But regardless, it's officially kick-off time! So between the time you wake up on Saturday, March 24 until you go to bed Sunday, April 1 we will be reading non-stop! Just kidding, that would be a bit intense. But for the next week, read as much as you can and maybe participate in a few games and challenges along the way.

We've cooked up some super fun goodies for you. If you're new to the ATY read-a-thons, welcome aboard! To participate, all you have to do is make a commitment to read as much as you can for one whole week + a little more for good measure. If you're behind on your challenge or reading goals for the year, this is an excellent time to play catch-up.

This time around we have an Individual Bingo Challenge and a Team Battleship Game. Check it out!

Per usual, we'll be sprinkling in some little games throughout the week to accompany our bigger read-a-thon challenges so keep your eye on the Read-a-Thon folder throughout the event.

1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish?
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading?
4. Are you participating in the individual bingo or battleship game?
5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on!

Be sure to check in to the progress thread to update us on your reading throughout the week.

message 2: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sgiffin) | 146 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I want to break out of my reading slump and get caught up on my ATY challenge (I'm all the books behind *sigh*)
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? Several - ACOMAF, Carrie, and Jurassic Park
At home. Hopefully it'll be warm enough to read outside, but if not, I'll be on my couch.
4. Are you participating in the individual bingo or battleship game? Battleship for sure (Team Pink!), Bingo maybe.
5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! I'm currently trying to break a reading slump, and work has been chaos during the week.

message 3: by Erica (new)

Erica | 458 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Finish 3 books I'm reading, and maybe read another couple.

Want to finish Dune, Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House and Strange Weather. Dying to start An American Marriage

At work (I have some downtime when I'm not teaching), and in bed.

4. Are you participating in the individual bingo or battleship game? Both!

5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on!
Work (when it's busy it's very busy), and my toddler, but we read lots together too :)

message 4: by Peter (last edited Mar 23, 2018 11:30PM) (new)

Peter | 0 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I'd like to get through a few books I've been working my way through, but really need to catch up on a book I have to read for a course I'm taking.

I wouldn't say I'm dying to finish it, but I need to get through a good chunk of Omeros. I have to read it for a course I'm taking - it's an epic poem written about post-colonialism in the Caribbean with major references to Homer's Odyssey that jumps from continent to continent and randomly drops plotlines only to pick them up out of nowhere much later. Oh and the interweaving plots are all taking place in different time periods, some of them sharing characters who go by different names. And the "voice" or perspective of the poem constantly flips between the characters, the author's perspective, the reader, and an omniscient perspective, sometimes changing perspective mid sentence without warning. I'm finding it very disjointed and extremely difficult to follow. Needless to say, it hasn't been a particularly enjoyable read, but I have a test on the first half of it on Monday.

Either at home or at work (I'm at a computer for 12 hours shifts and can read in my down time).

Possibly the individual bingo.

Well, my wife could go into labour any day now, so there's that, lol.

message 5: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3469 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I want to get my reading mojo back! I've had a patchy March, but I feel like I'm getting back on track, and it's perfect timing for a push like this.
I'm hoping to start and finish A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier, to start and listen to five hours of Mythos: A Retelling of the Myths of Ancient Greece (for the Battleship! ... it's fifteen hours, so I doubt I'll finish it this week), and to finish Black Beauty. That covers Kindle, Audio, Non-Fiction and a physical book off my shelf, everything I like to have on the go. The Spider and I will get through a fair chunk of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire too, but sadly we won't get near finishing it, as we've 500 pages to go.

On the couch, in bed, or just around the apartment listening to Stephen Fry while I'm cleaning or ironing.

Battleship for sure, and probably the Bingo too.

Just my flagging motivation, but I think that's on the way back up.

message 6: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Mar 24, 2018 10:06AM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2472 comments Mod
1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? To catch up on 2 of my ATY challenges , my adult version and my middle grade.... thats gonna be hard, like Samantha I'm all the books behind lol

2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? I'm definitely enjoying the two I have in progress. Dying to start and finish The Hate U Give this week :-)
Also, possibly Anne of Green Gables

3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? I read at my kitchen table with my coffee. Sometimes in bed but then I nod off, no matter what time is. I might try and switch it up to the couch this week though.

4. Are you participating in the individual bingo or battleship game? Going to try and participate in all of the activities this time

5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! Ive been having massive stress in too many areas the past two weeks so I've been on meds for sleep. Going to try to read through the anxiety this week though. My pain isn't going to be an issue this time ....THANK GOD.....and just the usual home responsibilities/kiddos. Sleeping is going to be my biggest problem :-(

message 7: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? Read a lot! I will try to finish at least two book.

2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? I have started One of Us Is Lying, and I am very curious about the end.

3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? Not sure yet ... pobrably my kitchen table like last time.

4. Are you participating in the individual bingo or battleship game? Battleship game. I have not checked the individual bingo, so I'll see.

5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! A new dog! My husband bought a puppy and he said he would be responsible, but until now the one he is taking all the time is me ! :'(

message 8: by Aline (new)

Aline (thousanduniverses) | 201 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I want to finish at least my current read (half the book) and 3 more books.

Yes, I finally want to finish Catch-22 and I can't wait to start The Shape of Water.

In my bed! It's still too cold here to read outside :/

I'll participate in the bingo.

I have holidays so that's perfect, but I need to catch up on some school work which is going to take away reading time. Otherwise I hope I won't get sucked into YouTube :D

message 9: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 770 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? I want to finish the book I am currently reading (50 % in), and two more to get a little ahead in the ATY challenge. I will also try to read books I already own, my shelves are to full of unreads books, it's a mess really..

2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? I heard so many good things about Big Little Lies and The Handmaid's Tale so I will try to fit one of those in

Normally at home, but I will be traveling for easter, so most will be read at the cabin (and flights perhaps)

Both :-)

Work is really busy at the moment, so for the first three days next week I have to finalise a lot before the easter vacation. Then it's holiday which should provide for a lot of reading time, but it also means family time, game time, skiing time and sitting out enjoying a bonfire. We'll see what gets fitted in :)

message 10: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7011 comments Mod
I'm hoping to read 3-4 books this week, but most of my reading will probably be done on the weekend. I'm cheerleading sponsor at our school, and we have tryouts this week, so my Monday-Thursday will be a bit crazy! I start our Spring Break next Friday, so hopefully I can get some good reading in on the weekend.

I should probably start and finish some of the books I have due back at the library haha! The Last Mrs. Parrish, Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows, and As Bright as Heaven are all on my radar.

In my house, on my couch! Haha!

Definitely the battleship game. I haven't looked at the bingo yet, but that may be overwhelming with everything else I have going on.

Cheeeeeerleading! And also it being the last week before a holiday. My students consume my life at this time of year. Hoping I can get some down time in the evenings to lose myself in a book!

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather | 233 comments 1. What are your goals for this readathon?
Just to be able to finish as much as possible
2. Are there any books you are dying to start or finish?
Definitely ACOMAF Obsidio and Days of Blood and Starlight
On my couch!
Bingo!
5. Is anything that’s going to stand in the way of your reading this week?
WORK!

message 12: by Rachelnyc (last edited Mar 24, 2018 06:37AM) (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I'd like to read 5 books, including finishing the one I'm on now. This is perfect timing because several of my library hold became available over the past week and this will help me read them all before they are snatched away.
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? One of the books I have out is The Broken Girls which I've really been looking forward to reading.
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? In bed and in my favorite chair but also on the subway or bus.
4. Are you participating in the individual bingo or battleship game? Both
5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? My birthday is next Saturday and I have to spend a chunk of next Sunday (Easter) with my family so I am going to try to get as much reading done by Friday. Work is slow this week though so that will help.

message 13: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3823 comments Mod
Just to read as much as I can. I'm slightly behind with my overall Goodreads challenge so maybe I can catch up.

There's a few books that are currently checked out from the library that have been on my list and very hyped so it will be nice to finally check them off (Lincoln in the Bardo and The Underground Railroad)

3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? We're getting our final round of winter weather here in Ohio so on the couch and in my bed.

Battleship for sure. Still deciding about the Bingo.

5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! It's spring break for my school but I'm a therapist for an outside agency. My schedule is much lighter but there's still stuff happening, like a 12-hour conference on Monday. I will also be visiting family for Easter.

message 14: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 261 comments 1) goals- get my reading mojo back!

2) I have been trying to finish The House of Seven Gables forever.

3) at home. In my glider chair or in bed.

4) group for sure. Haven't seen bingo yet, but I probably will

5) work. My son has spring break this week and I am off Friday. This may tell or hinder!

message 15: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1058 comments Mod
I’d like to get up to date with AtY and with Book Riot, and also just generally recover my reading motivation which has been missing the last few weeks.

I’m about two thirds of the way through The Hate U Give, and I’m looking forward to reading the rest of it. Other books I have planned for the week are Northern Lights: The Graphic Novel, Maus II: A Survivor's Tale: And Here My Troubles Began, Autumn, and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

Probably in bed!

Yes, both of them.

Just the usual everyday life really! And possibly my lack of motivation.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Read, read and read! Read some books that fit the ATY and challenges I'm doing in other groups.

I need to finish Faust / Part One. I'm supposed to be reading it as part of a group read but I started it, read a bit, thought this is easier reading than I thought it would be, put it down and haven't picked it back up since.

At home - on the couch, in bed and in the bath.

Both if them.

Work, the need to sleep, etc - the usual life stuff.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2199 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Read 500-1000 pages. Finish 3 books for ATY.

Sunburn by Laura Lippman It was on the new book shelf at my library and is a mystery/thriller. It fits the elements: Fire prompt!

At home in my recliner in the living room and in bed.

Bingo.

Work. Family visiting on Saturday for Easter.

message 18: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 120 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I want to read 1.000 pages and finish at least 1 ATY book.

"East of Eden" is next on my ATY list anyways, so I'm looking forward to that one. But apart from that, I'll go for mood reads for this read-a-thon.

At home, sitting comfortably in my bed and listening to music playing in the background.

YES! This is my first read-a-thon, so I'd like to try as many activities as possible.

My family is staying with me from Friday until Sunday next week, so that might be kind of distracting.

message 19: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1526 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? I'm hoping to read 3-4 books
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? I really want to finish Heir of Fire. I'm halfway through and it has been a busy work week. The book is 560 pages.
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? On my couch, at halftime at my son's soccer games and his warm up, hopefully it will warm up and I can read outside a day or so. I also always read in my bed.
4. Are you participating in the individual bingo or battleship game? Yes both
5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! Hopefully not work!

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Just to read as much as I can, and hopefully catch up a bit on my total for the month.

I'm about to start Dumplin', which I'm pretty excited for!

At home. I don't really have time to read at work.

I'm intending to try both.

Luckily I have the day off work this Friday, but I'm having guests over for dinner next Friday and Saturday, and I have some work to do over that weekend. Also, my brother and I decided to take our mom out for a belated birthday dinner tonight, which I wasn't expecting. No regrets of course, but I just didn't factor it into my plans.

message 21: by Chattie (new)

Chattie | 7 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
To read two books and finish one.
The Woman in the Window: A Novel
At home - in bed, living room and on the patio.
both
Lawn and gardening and household chores. My home is the extended family's gathering place.

message 22: by Jill (new)

Jill | 569 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
To read as much as I can! Hoping to finish 3-4 books and 1 audiobook,.
2. Are there any books you are dying to start or finish?
The Fact of a Body: A Murder and a Memoir
At home and during my lunch hour at work. Listening to the audiobook on my commute.
Battleship for sure. Still deciding about bingo.
Work!

message 23: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1636 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I'm going to try and finish a few books I already started and then try to read one or two more books.

not really

At home and if the weather keeps being beautiful, outside.

battleship

I like to start and have several books going. So, my challenge will be to finish my books during the week.

message 24: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 906 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? I have been in a slump since the end of last year. I am getting the spark back and hope this will be the thing that really gets me excited about reading again.
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? I am excited to get started on What You Want To See
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? Couch, Chair, Bed - mostly at home
4. Are you participating in the individual bingo or battleship game? yes
5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! Just me not reading, for some reason I haven't really gotten into that grove where all I want to do is finish a book.

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
To catch up because I am way behind.

Too many to list!

In the living room

Battleship! I love this game.

Possibly the kids.

message 26: by Susan (new)

Susan | 73 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
to have fun playing games and reading

not really

in bed or on couch

maybe both

I don't think so

message 27: by Perri (new)

Perri | 777 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I have two books to read and any more would be gravy

The Supernatural Enhancements is looking like it will be terrific

At home

the battleship game for now

yeah, it's going to be a busy week, I almost didn't sign up but glad I did

message 28: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? read and have fun
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish?I love to read so any book that I read is good for me.
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading?In my living room
4. Are you participating in the individual bingo or battleship game?Battleship game
5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! nope I am here I love the challenge of reading as much as I can.

message 29: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I hope to finish 3-4 books

The House at Riverton

At home

Both

I have to work Monday till Wednesday but then I'm off the rest a of the read-a-thon

message 30: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 794 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I would like to finish at least three books.

I just started A Man Called Ove and
am excited to finally read it. I also have Frankenstein on deck for this week.
On my couch and in bed.
I am participating in the battleship game and possibly going to try the bingo.
Hopefully this coming week is less stressful at work and I dont come home too tired to read.

message 31: by Edie (new)

Edie | 826 comments Laura wrote: "Depending on where you're at in the world, the read-a-thon may have already started for you. But regardless, it's officially kick-off time! So between the time you wake up on Saturday, March 24 unt..."

To read at least 2 books that help the team

At least 10% of the books on my TBR list are books I am really looking forward to reading.

Home... although I have a long car trip during which I will read.

Battleship!

5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Life... other commitments, but I should be good.

message 32: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
No goal, just to enjoy my reading

No I already finished the books I planned for this month. So just reading what I want to read.

On the bus

I'm in the Green team :)
Still have to look at the individual bingo.

Ofcouse work, but I also have meetings in the evening and already made other commitments in the weekends

message 33: by Tammy (last edited Mar 26, 2018 07:18AM) (new)

Tammy | 704 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I've committed to read the 600 pages for the team goal, but I am actually going to try to hit around 2000 pages. I'd really like to read a book for each day of March and hope that the read-a-thon will get me close to achieving that.
I kind of want to read all of my books on my ATY list!
The car, home and lunch breaks.
Both
I had a gourmet club (this means 8 hours of cooking and eating) on Saturday but managed to do my reading early. It will be harder during the work week to get as many pages in. That is for certain!

message 34: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 542 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Finish the 3 books I am currently reading.

Dying to finish A Gentleman in Moscow because I'm not enjoying it that much and it's loooong. Need to read it for my in-person book group. Looking forward to starting some books of y own choosing once I get this done!

At home. But I do read when I'm using public transportation, so some will be done there.

I'm doing the individual bingo.

A few things -- some appointments, a family birthday, and the Passover seder. All take time and work, but I should still have some chunks of reading time.