YA Book Addicts discussion

Characters > Character You Hate The Most

Comments Showing 1-50 of 138 (138 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Jordyn | 2757 comments Mod
Lara from Looking For Alaska was kind of irrelevant...

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire The cast of Hush, Hush.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl L | 40 comments I read a series called the Trylle Trilogy by Amanda Hocking. There was a character i don't like, and he was called Finn Holmes. Also, I don't like Adam from Shatter me.

message 4: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Lauren-hahaha! I almost completely agree

message 5: by Connie (new)

Connie (faeriewings) | 86 comments Holden Caulfield from The Catcher in the Rye.
And I'm very on the fence about Daemon Black from the Lux series. I started off liking him, but that's changing as I read on :/

message 6: by Emcnamara (new)

Emcnamara | 10 comments I hate Jill from the Vampire Academy, I just found her soooo annoying Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Bella from Twilight

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

she is so whiny

message 9: by Emcnamara (new)

Emcnamara | 10 comments There is no character I hate more in the world than Becky Bloomwood from The confessions of a Shopaholic...

message 10: by Loren (new)

Loren | 38 comments Hahaha jordyn I agree with you! Lara is so irrelevant

message 11: by Loren (new)

Loren | 38 comments Don't hate me but I didn't really like alaska in looking for alaska. I just thought she was to complicated

message 12: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Haha yes Lara was not needed in the book at all!!
NOO I LOVE ALADKA!!!

message 13: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

*ALASKA

message 14: by Connie (new)

Connie (faeriewings) | 86 comments TheShadowSranger wrote: "Bella from Twilight"

Agreed, I didn't like her. I almost found the book to be relatable in the first few chapters (she seemed normal enough, not a bada** magic warrior person what I could never hope to be haha) but quickly she just started getting on my nerves.

message 15: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Loren wrote: "Don't hate me but I didn't really like alaska in looking for alaska. I just thought she was to complicated"

Haha I wasn't a huge fan of her either.

message 16: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Samantha from Before I Fall sucked...she made me stop the book since I literally hated her...

message 17: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (Olivia3Books) | 52 comments Adri and Pearl from "Cinder". They annoyed me so much on how they treated Cinder. Also thinking she has no feelings!? I wanted so bad for them to die! Is that bad ;) :/

message 18: by S (new)

S Jakes | 897 comments Rob from The Darkest Minds, especially in Never Fade. Also Duke Perrington in Throne Of Glass

message 19: by Jordy (last edited Jul 27, 2014 06:40PM) (new)

Jordy | 49 comments Riya wrote: "Loren wrote: "Don't hate me but I didn't really like alaska in looking for alaska. I just thought she was to complicated"

Haha I wasn't a huge fan of her either."

Sorry for this late reply but did you think that some of John Green's books are overrated? That's just what I thought because of the whole tfios thing, some people just assume all his books are great and have an interesting plot.

message 20: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Alexander (shannonmariposa) | 26 comments Jeb from Splintered. He was so annoying, he didn't want to let Alyssa do anything. He kind of ruined the book for me.

message 21: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Alexander (shannonmariposa) | 26 comments Olivia wrote: "Adri and Pearl from "Cinder". They annoyed me so much on how they treated Cinder. Also thinking she has no feelings!? I wanted so bad for them to die! Is that bad ;) :/"

I hated Adri and Pearl, too. They made me so mad! I hope something bad happens to them in the end.

message 22: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Jordy wrote: "Riya wrote: "Loren wrote: "Don't hate me but I didn't really like alaska in looking for alaska. I just thought she was to complicated"

Sorry for this late..."

I've only read Looking for Alaska (which was hugely overrated), but from my close friends I've heard he is overrated...

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Me neither. I thought Bella was way to Whitney in breaking dawn she finally got a backbone though

message 24: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (forebodinq) America Singer from The Selection series!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Really? Why?

message 26: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (forebodinq) LittleMissBookworm(lauren) wrote: "Really? Why?"

She just couldn't decide anything smart for herself :P
She just irritated me by how indecisive she was, as the solution to her problems just seemed so clear to me ahah

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh yeah that bothered me how she had maxon around her finger then let him go then wanted him again

message 28: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (forebodinq) LittleMissBookworm(lauren) wrote: "Oh yeah that bothered me how she had maxon around her finger then let him go then wanted him again"

Exactly!

message 29: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

electra | 623 comments Mod
Riya wrote: "Jordy wrote: "Riya wrote: "Loren wrote: "Don't hate me but I didn't really like alaska in looking for alaska. I just thought she was to complicated"

Sorry..."

To be honest, I don't think John Green would be as popular as he is today if he wasn't a white male. I mean, there are so many female (and even male POC) authors that wrote way better stuff than him (and some are even popular on goodreads), but they barely get any attention from the media. In fact, the only time female authors get any attention from the media is when they write something that's bad (like Stephenie Meyer and E.L. James). I think that says something.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmm I guess in a way your right but John Green already had a fan base before the fault in our stars from his vlog. They are actually funny videos I watch occasionally

message 31: by S (new)

S Jakes | 897 comments I think if he was really boring no one would care

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

If he was boring but yeah I see your point

message 33: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (last edited Jul 28, 2014 10:44AM) (new)

True, but even when he only vlogged, he wasn't AS popular as he is now that people are praising his books. Admittedly, his original fanbase is definitely the majority of his readers, but he still didn't have as much fans on YouTube then as he does now that everyone on the street has heard about him. (Some of his vlogs are pretty funny, though. But even if he was boring, some people would probably still like him I guess. How many boring men do you know who are famous? There are a lot, I bet.)

message 34: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (forebodinq) Amee wrote: "Riya wrote: "Jordy wrote: "Riya wrote: "Loren wrote: "Don't hate me but I didn't really like alaska in looking for alaska. I just thought she was to complicated"

Haha I wasn't a huge fan of her ei..."

Your comment has made me think. I think it is true that John Green is getting a lot of attention, and possibly some of it is due to him being a white male (but of course, we can't hold this against him as he can't control it lol). I also think a lot of it is due to vlogbrothers and the fact that TFIOS was made into a movie. It probably has a little to do with the content of TFIOS as well - being a contemporary romance it's taken a lot more seriously by the media than, say, paranormal books. Anyway, that's just what I think :)

message 35: by Erin, Director of Fun and Games (new)

Erin (eisawesome) | 1215 comments Mod
Lara from looking for Alaska

message 36: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Same Erin!!!!!

message 37: by Erin, Director of Fun and Games (new)

Honestly could not stand her while I read the book, I was so glad that Pudge hurt her(I just now realized that I am kinda a mean person deep deep DEEP down inside)

message 38: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Exactly! She's so random and irrelevant
(Haha!!)

message 39: by Erin, Director of Fun and Games (new)

Well when you think about it, she kinda just pops into the book

message 40: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Yeah

message 41: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Amee wrote: "Riya wrote: "Jordy wrote: "Riya wrote: "Loren wrote: "Don't hate me but I didn't really like alaska in looking for alaska. I just thought she was to complicated"

Haha I wasn't a huge fan of her ei..."

Wow that's a really interesting (and true) point Amee. Of course Suzanne Collins has been very successful. I feel like the YA genre as a whole is rejected in media outside of these few movies that are made.

message 42: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Erin wrote: "Lara from looking for Alaska"

Haha I don't think I liked a single character from that book :P

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

@ Riya you're right about the rejection thing

message 44: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Erin wrote: "Lara from looking for Alaska"

True, the book could have gone well even without her; I feel like she only existed for the romance subplot and was just wasted potential. Really, the only interesting thing about her is that she's Romanian and has an accent, and she wasn't presented as anything else besides the typical European immigrant who has an accent.

message 45: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Riya wrote: "Amee wrote: "Riya wrote: "Jordy wrote: "Riya wrote: "Loren wrote: "Don't hate me but I didn't really like alaska in looking for alaska. I just thought she was to complicated"

Haha I wasn't a huge ..."

That's true! There are a lot of really successful female authors, but I still don't think they're praised as much. I don't recall mainstream publications crowning her, or Veronica Roth, or Marissa Meyer, or any other successful female author as the best YA author ever. Or maybe I haven't lived in the US for that long.
I feel like I'm throwing too much critical Tumblr stuff around here. I apologize. I'll stop analyzing the subject now.

message 46: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (forebodinq) Riya wrote: "Erin wrote: "Lara from looking for Alaska"

Haha I don't think I liked a single character from that book :P"

me neither ahha

message 47: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Connie wrote: "Holden Caulfield from The Catcher in the Rye.
And I'm very on the fence about Daemon Black from the Lux series. I started off liking him, but that's changing as I read on :/"

I've heard a lot of bad things about Holden Caulfield in reviews (okay, maybe I spend too much time reading reviews on here for everything)and he sounds like the most annoying teenager ever who needs to go outside and sniff a flower or pet a puppy or something. And from what I got from reviews of Obsidian, I already feel like I can say I hate Daemon. But I can't because I haven't read it. But I'm pretty sure I would still hate him. (view spoiler)

message 48: by Riya (new)

Riya | 846 comments Mod
Amee wrote: "Riya wrote: "Amee wrote: "Riya wrote: "Jordy wrote: "Riya wrote: "Loren wrote: "Don't hate me but I didn't really like alaska in looking for alaska. I just thought she was to complicated"

Haha I w..."

Haha that's a good point. I also think there's an absence of diversity. Example: Marie Lu (AMAZING author) hasn't gotten nearly as much praise/recognition as other author and I have absolutely no idea why. Based on discussion threads, her books are just as loved (if not more) than The Hunger Games and Divergent. Also, they were shown in bookstores as much as the others (pre their movie releases of course). Yet she has a low number of ratings and a movie version might be released in 2016 (5 years after release), while it only took 2 years for Veronica Roth.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes marie lu need attention she is wonderful

message 50: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (Olivia3Books) | 52 comments I love Marie Lu! The Legend Trilogy was AMAZING :D

« previous 1 3